You are Here:
Hi! I'm traditional animator who's also turned to game designing!

Author (Read 1157 times)

Tonymation

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi. My name is Tony White and I'm an award-winning traditional 2D animator with over 4 decades of experience. I also teach and publish books about animation. More recently I've become fascinated with board and card game design and have spend the past few months working on new prototypes that I mainly dreamt up in my sleep. (Yes truly. I was dreaming of myself playing all the games I've developed - although I've never actually been any form of gamer before that!) The card game that has me most excited is a game called 'I AM' which is (I believe) the world's first animated card game. The game plays pretty well without the animation but if you get one of 22 different winning hands you can actually flip the cards and the characters on them (Zodiac based) will come to life. The whole concept is probably too lengthy to explain in something needing to be so brief as this introduction. However, if you visit my Kickstarter page for the project you'll pretty much get it all. If you feel inspired to donate to the project then that will be terrific! However, if you don't, that's OK as I'd love some feedback on what you think about it all anyway. Good to meet you guys. I look forward to hanging out here a lot more in the future.  Tony.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794056159/i-am-8
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:42:21 PM by Tonymation »
'If you can think it, you can draw it. If you can draw it, you can animate it!'

Re: Hi! I'm traditional animator who's also turned to game designing!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:54:41 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Technically, my Cosmic Lanes Deck from a couple years ago was an Animated Deck (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/randybutterfield/glow-in-the-dark-playing-cards-cosmic-lanes-deck?ref=discovery). Although, I'm guessing there's been many other previous Decks that have been Animated. I believe that nothing is a "World's First" nowadays!! I never highlight that aspect, as you never know if it's true or not.

Even if it is, making a big deal out of it doesn't always equate to a successful project in today's crowdfunding marketplace.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:45:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi. My name is Tony White and I'm an award-winning traditional 2D animator with over 4 decades of experience. I also teach and publish books about animation. More recently I've become fascinated with board and card game design and have spend the past few months working on new prototypes that I mainly dreamt up in my sleep. (Yes truly. I was dreaming of myself playing all the games I've developed - although I've never actually been any form of gamer before that!) The card game that has me most excited is a game called 'I AM' which is (I believe) the world's first animated card game. The game plays pretty well without the animation but if you get one of 22 different winning hands you can actually flip the cards and the characters on them (Zodiac based) will come to life. The whole concept is probably too lengthy to explain in something needing to be so brief as this introduction. However, if you visit my Kickstarter page for the project you'll pretty much get it all. If you feel inspired to donate to the project then that will be terrific! However, if you don't, that's OK as I'd love some feedback on what you think about it all anyway. Good to meet you guys. I look forward to hanging out here a lot more in the future.  Tony.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794056159/i-am-8

There's been a few "flip-book" style playing card decks made - some are just novelties, some are actually decks made for magic tricks, where the animation serves as a reveal for a person's chosen card.

Good luck with your project.  If you want to make a topic about it, head over to the Conversation Parlor.  The Playing Card Plethora board is reserved for more traditional, International Standard designs - your basic 52 cards with the four common suits of spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds, the thirteen ranks of Ace, King, Queen, Jack and 10 down to 2, perhaps a pair of jokers added for good measure, etc.  It's not the only thing people here are into, but it's what the vast majority of the forum is about.

Also, check out some of the more varied game-related forums and boards out there - if you want a big Kickstarter project, you have to promote, promote and promote like it's all you know how to do, morning, noon and night, seeking out your target audience in whatever crannies they happen to dwell in on the Internet.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »

Tonymation

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks for your feedback guys... I really appreciate it.

Actually Don & Randy, I usually say 'the world's first animated card game, with a Zodiac theme' - I just forgot to add the 'Zodiac' bit this time. But I take your point and I'll work on another approach.

And yes Don, I'll post in the Conversation Parlor and any other forums I can find. As I said, I'm new to game design and pretty inexperienced at Kickstarter, so its all a learning experience. (Although I fear I may have left it too late this time around!)

In the meantime I've added a mat to the game as I think it brings more cohesion to the play, and the card animation.

Thanks again guys!

Tony.  :)
'If you can think it, you can draw it. If you can draw it, you can animate it!'