You are Here:
Feedback on card back?

Author (Read 1397 times)

Feedback on card back?
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:39:23 AM »

Frosty

• Newcomer
So far this is what I have going for me. Any suggestions? Am I on the right track? I do understand that its hard to say weather or not a deck will be successful solely based on the back of the card, but does this current design look appealing?

Re: Feedback on card back?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:00:26 AM »

DanFeldmeier

• Freelance illustrator and artist

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
I'm not much of an expert on card design, but from an artistic standpoint I certainly like it.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
To me (and maybe just me), the design is a little disorienting. You've got light line boxes sitting on heavy lines. There are 5 or 6 different line weights sitting right next to each other. I can't tell why the line weights are different. Looking at all the Bicycle backs (or Tally backs, or any others), the weights are consistent to an area or a border or necessary to the design.

(It looks like I'm laying on the floor looking at a domed ceiling with arched hallways going off in 4 directions with two pillars in each corner of the space. See it?)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:13:26 PM by skinny »

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 01:06:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So far this is what I have going for me. Any suggestions? Am I on the right track? I do understand that its hard to say weather or not a deck will be successful solely based on the back of the card, but does this current design look appealing?

Just as one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, one shouldn't judge a deck by its card back.  It's not enough to go on, really.  Is it part of an overall design aesthetic?  Is there a theme we're not aware of?  The back alone doesn't tell us.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 07:38:42 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hi Frosty,
You have some interesting elements going on in your design, like Skinny I'm definitely seeing the arched ceiling, pillars and dome ... :) Line-weight variation can add interest and depth, using thick vs thin to emphasise different aspects of a design. At the moment there's a bit of competition and overlap happening with your line weights, which a bit of cleaning up should fix. You could opt for a single line weight to give the design the look of an architectural drawing or isometric sketch... or refine variation to line by considering which parts of the design are 'closest', 'most important' or 'largest' as a way of deciding line thickness.

Naturally, the design and idea has to work for you, so the above are just my 2 cents ;) Looking forward to seeing more cards :)
*wave*