You are Here:
What's the consensus on decks with 5+ suits?

Author (Read 14352 times)

What's the consensus on decks with 5+ suits?
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
I really like non-standard decks (suits, card count, graphics) and I've come across some really great ones on BGG like the Stardeck and Empire Deck. These are decks with more than 5 suits, originally so that more people could play Bridge together. I don't know if it's just because 5+-player Bridge isn't a huge draw, but it seems like these just aren't a big thing. I can't find any on eBay or Amazon and the ones that have websites are out of stock. Are 5+ suit decks just not as popular as when these decks came out (early 90s), and what do you guys think of them?

Re: What's the consensus on decks with 5+ suits?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I had posted this a few weeks ago, might be worth a look for you - http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=7550.0

I picked up 6 suits of the Badger deck recently as well, but haven't yet had a chance to play anything with it.
http://www.drivethrucards.com/browse/pub/6884/dennisthebadger

I also have 5 crowns on my wishlist that I'm considering
amazon.com/SET-Enterprises-4001-Five-Crowns/dp/B00000IV35/

Have a look here too, some 5 suit decks included in this list, but lots of alternate ones in general (including higher numbers, etc)
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/173496/upper-decks-card-games-alternative-playing-card-sy/page/1

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
Oh, that's nice!

I saw that same green eagle deck somewhere and it made me want it too, haha. It's just so simple, but fits with the other suits nicely. So, I guess some people like them, even if it's just for collecting.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:59:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Decks like that can be fun for a special game night get-together, but they're unlikely to ever replace standard playing cards as we know them today.  The present design developed over hundreds of years (some theorize playing cards came about over 1,100 years ago), while most of these variants are well under a century old - some aren't even a full decade yet.

I'd say that in general, cards collectors aren't interested, but people who love games would be, especially those who love unique and off-the-beaten-path game concepts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:01:04 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »

troy

• True Member
I really like non-standard decks (suits, card count, graphics) and I've come across some really great ones on BGG like the Stardeck and Empire Deck. These are decks with more than 5 suits, originally so that more people could play Bridge together. I don't know if it's just because 5+-player Bridge isn't a huge draw, but it seems like these just aren't a big thing. I can't find any on eBay or Amazon and the ones that have websites are out of stock. Are 5+ suit decks just not as popular as when these decks came out (early 90s), and what do you guys think of them?

I owned an Empire deck a long time ago. We often played, "Asshole" which is a four player game. But when we had the Empire deck, we were able to play with 5 or 6 people. Same when we played "Hearts"

This post has inspired me, and it would be nice to play some of these games again with more than 4 people. Now that there's MPC, it's possible to make your own. My idea is to make my own deck with 4 new suits and just combine it with a standard 4 suit MPC deck with the same back. Voila. Eight suits.

The price to do one of these projects is only time. MPC makes it reasonable.

http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/fi_8219.html

Custom Game Cards (63 x 88mm)_copy
310gsm (linen)
108 card deck
$25.20

Custom Game Cards (63 x 88mm)_copy
310gsm (linen)
54 card deck
$12.60

+ extras

This isn't something I have a lot of time to invest, so I'll consider it a project I'll try to get done before the end of the summer. If it's just a matter of replacing the suits and reusing the court card images, it shouldn't take long. That's the most desirable method.

Any suggestions for 4 new suits?

I don't really like the additional Empire suits. I read this article: http://www.jamesrobertwatson.com/playingcards.html prosing a cups and shields. I don't know. I like the idea of keeping the new suits red and black, but two new colors might also work.

Any suggestions? Or, has anyone done this?

I doubt it's worth the time for any serious designer to make a Kickstarter deck with new suits, as probably only a handful of people would be interested. That said, Jackson started making clocks. Why not four new Kings Wild suits? LOL.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:59:13 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
Yeah, I don't think a Kickstarter would bring in much unless you somehow branded it as a new game and not just a deck with extra suits. Why not use the Swiss or Spanish suits?

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »

troy

• True Member
Yeah, I don't think a Kickstarter would bring in much unless you somehow branded it as a new game and not just a deck with extra suits. Why not use the Swiss or Spanish suits?

For sure. Just a novelty item.

Do you have a link to these suits?

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
Swiss suits are acorns, roses, shields, and bells. Spanish are swords, clubs, cups, and coins. Here's a table.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@fireshaper - I think that table might be wrong.  Check your source.  The club and spade should be switched.  Just remember (A club for beating people became a club) Thats how I remember... 

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Just remember (A club for beating people became a club) Thats how I remember...

Haha, Thump! That's how I remember too. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 11:45:34 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
@fireshaper - I think that table might be wrong.  Check your source.  The club and spade should be switched.  Just remember (A club for beating people became a club) Thats how I remember...

I just grabbed the first image I found on Google. It was really more to show them than to have them correctly compared.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »

troy

• True Member
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Something to think about, but I'm still leaning to making my own suits.

Ideas so far are, adapting a some copyright free court cards and just changing the suits.

Blue: star, crown

Green: maple leaf, cross

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 06:11:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Something to think about, but I'm still leaning to making my own suits.

Ideas so far are, adapting a some copyright free court cards and just changing the suits.

Blue: star, crown

Green: maple leaf, cross

I gave Russell (Sprouts) a suggestion that will save a lot of hassle if he takes it and uses it on his deck design.  I'll offer you the same advice, adapted to your design.

You want to create new suits, check.
You're still planning on having the old suits, am I right?

Take an existing, in-print USPC deck design, such as Bicycle Standard or Bee Diamond Back.  You could even try Tally Ho, but I wouldn't range out further than that - stuff like the Hoyle Shellback, Aristocrats, etc. don't get reprinted much and the first two are exceptionally common, found all over the country.

Now, instead of recreating your own courts and spot cards for the four "original" suits, make your back design MATCH that pre-existing deck, so that by combining that deck with all or part of your new deck (consisting of only the new suits), you can create a new deck with as many as eight suits!  You can even match the courts of the traditional suits to your suits, giving your deck two suicide Kings, four one-eyed Jacks, two bedpost Queens, etc.  Now you've gone from having to make a 104-card deck (not counting jokers or extras) to only having to make 52 - you can sell them in sets with a standard USPC deck that matches your deck's back design, and even provide an oversized box that holds the two decks together, in tucks or loose.  That can be key to getting a deck like yours accepted by more people - the design will be so ridiculously familiar, you'll have people willing to give it a shot just for the hell of it.

Even better - you have the option of selling just the new deck suits.  The old deck suits are crazy-easy to find, so if someone wants to save a few bucks (and save you the trouble of warehousing twice as many decks) you can offer the new cards as a separate product, like an "expansion pack" for the existing decks!  Even outside the card collecting community, there's hardly a household in this country that doesn't have at least one of those two super-common decks.

Now, the most critical part: keep the new suits INSANELY BASIC AND SIMPLE.  Star, fine.  Cross, OK.  Crown and Maple Leaf - people will starting thinking your new game is Canadian!  How about Circle and Square, or perhaps even Circle and Triangle?  Uber-simple, easy to identify, easier to distinguish from the other suits at a glance.

I have a friend who does graphic design for a living, print and web.  He told me about a company that wanted him to create a logo for them.  Initially they complained that his designs were too simple, too basic, didn't say enough about the company, had no words in it, blah blah blah.  So he created a presentation for them - he grabbed the logos of several of the biggest companies in the country if not the world, sneaking his design for the new logo among all those of the multi-billion dollar firms.  It showed these executives that a simple, clean, streamlined design was simple - but simple is what works for logos.  Their logo that he created for them blended right in with the "big shots" as if it belonged there.  They ended up using his design in the end.

I think you see where I'm going with this - if logos should be basic and simple, card suits should be even MORE basic and MORE simple, especially if you want them to be as widely accepted as you can make them.  Simple shapes work best.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:16:05 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Because what you are doing is more of a game than collector deck, you may want to compare these other services if you haven't already.  Some of them will also host and sell/ship them for you which may have an advantage for you.  I haven't done any comparisons on quality or price, but I have gotten games from the first two and would say they are around MPC quality.

http://www.drivethrucards.com/pub_podcard_cost.php
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/pricing
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/playing-cards/playing-cards-54-designs-313

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »

troy

• True Member
This would just be a personal project, if I actually follow through. There won't be any Kickstarter or shipping them off to stores.

Just a project to tinker with and see what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
I found this eBay auction for Five Star Playing Cards. Looks like he has a box and is trying to get rid of them all.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 08:04:21 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Don - I don't know.  I agree the Heart/Diamond and Club/Spade do have an association.  Most of the time the Club/Spade is black.  A even number of suits would make more sense to me.  What would be more exciting is making a 9 suit deck.  Each of the 8 suits having a partner like Hearts/Diamond and the 9th suit being a Trump golden suit.  If you added 2 more decks that would be close to the amount of cards for a reshuffler in  Las Vegas. Then you could have a slot a machine for 3 symbols.  Lets just say 3 golden Towers is rare.  The Towers are worth 10, but 3 golden towers is special. You need to gets to 31 in the game, but 3 golden Towers is like having a Spanish 21 BlackJack. 

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
  Now you've gone from having to make a 104-card deck (not counting jokers or extras) to only having to make 52 - you can sell them in sets with a standard USPC deck that matches your deck's back design, and even provide an oversized box that holds the two decks together, in tucks or loose.  That can be key to getting a deck like yours accepted by more people - the design will be so ridiculously familiar, you'll have people willing to give it a shot just for the hell of it.

Even better - you have the option of selling just the new deck suits.  The old deck suits are crazy-easy to find, so if someone wants to save a few bucks (and save you the trouble of warehousing twice as many decks) you can offer the new cards as a separate product, like an "expansion pack" for the existing decks!  Even outside the card collecting community, there's hardly a household in this country that doesn't have at least one of those two super-common decks.

So do the Congress thing and put both decks in one box. I see those Congress boxes with two decks all over the place, it wouldn't be something new for most players.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 01:36:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This would just be a personal project, if I actually follow through. There won't be any Kickstarter or shipping them off to stores.

Just a project to tinker with and see what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In that case, use some of the companies suggested or http://MakePlayingCards.com - you can order in extremely low quantities, but the print quality will not be as good, since they'd be using a digital printer rather than an offset printing press.  The biggest issue with digital printing is that the colors tend to be darker than what you'd get using offset - but if you consult with your printer, they can advise you how to correct for this, since for you the digital print is the only print (digital is often used for making proof sheets and prototype decks).  Instead of thousands of dollars, you'd spend dozens of dollars and have just enough for you and your friends/family.

Now you've gone from having to make a 104-card deck (not counting jokers or extras) to only having to make 52 - you can sell them in sets with a standard USPC deck that matches your deck's back design, and even provide an oversized box that holds the two decks together, in tucks or loose.  That can be key to getting a deck like yours accepted by more people - the design will be so ridiculously familiar, you'll have people willing to give it a shot just for the hell of it.

So do the Congress thing and put both decks in one box. I see those Congress boxes with two decks all over the place, it wouldn't be something new for most players.

That works, too.  USPC sells leather boxes large enough to hold two decks, though they tend to cost a bit more.  Other companies usually have at least a few two-deck packages that would work well.  I know Expert PCC makes a really nice two-deck box designed to hold two decks, loose (without standard tuck boxes).

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 02:50:27 AM »

troy

• True Member
I looked around on the internet and even contacted a few of the people who sold multi suit decks, but no one bothered to answer. So, I just decided to do it on my own.

I just completed my personal project, and made an 8 suit deck. So, should be interesting classic games with up to 8 people.

In the end, I chose 8 suits, using the red, black, gold and blue for the colors.
Red: diamonds and hearts
Black: clubs and spades
Gold: coins and crosses
Blue: crowns and stars

I modified and extra suits court cards by going a bit darker but maintaining the same gold color throughout all the decks.

I matched the suits as follows:

clubs and stars
spades and crowns
hearts and crosses
diamonds and coins

I ended up modifying the court cards here:

http://code.google.com/p/vectorized-playing-cards/

It was a good starting point, but many of the cards alignments were off and I wanted to go borderless. I removed the borders, made custom pips throughout and used a different font. I created a black and a red joker.

I used MPC to print all 106 cards. I also ordered a couple MPC tin cases too. Grand total: $38.58 USD and about a month in my spare time. But now I have an 8 suit deck to use with my friends. Should arrive in early June.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The jokers need a little help, but otherwise it's not a bad deck!

The general consensus is that any deck more than four suits tends to be a novelty, with the possible exception of the deck used for the French game tarot, which is quite similar to the tarot deck we see used for cartomancy and divination.  But even that deck isn't often seen outside of Europe - they're rare in the US.

Novelty decks in and of themselves aren't bad things.  In fact, the right novelty can sell in the millions.  But they're unlikely to gain mainstream acceptance.

You did a great job of getting them made for a reasonable price.  Now what you should do it, now that you know exactly what it costs to make, is prep a Kickstarter project to get the deck made in larger numbers (not necessarily mass-produced) for people who'd be interested in playing with them.  I know there are some websites that talk about games and have lively discussions about the many different non-standard decks out there, including decks with more than four suits and more than two colors.  You could have the playing-card equivalent of the next Pet Rock or Rubik's Cube on your hands!

The project would be expensive if you only sold a handful of decks.  To that I say, so what?  Let your backers know up front what they're in for, and that more backing means you can offer decks at a lower price - perhaps you can start throwing in bonus decks to backers after certain stretch goals.  But make the project with a really low goal - combined with a high-enough per-deck price to at least cover the costs - and you could be a success.  If nothing else, that success would be measured in the number of new people owning your deck, even if the number is small.  Then they can tell there friends, and when you want MORE decks, you'll have more backers, and so on, etc.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
Crowns don't feel like they mesh with the rest of the suits, try make it into one contiguous piece with maybe just three points. You'll probably need new courts for your new suits. Ask sprout to get you in touch with Vivian. She designed some courts for him that look like Charles Goodall himself made it. Anglo-Rouennais knights!

As for games, the only ones that I know of that are played with 8 suits is Ganjifa. It's a very old trick-taking game from Iran and India that supposedly requires lots of memory and concentration.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »

troy

• True Member
The jokers need a little help, but otherwise it's not a bad deck!

The jokers are my favorite part! LOL

Now what you should do it, now that you know exactly what it costs to make, is prep a Kickstarter project to get the deck made in larger numbers (not necessarily mass-produced) for people who'd be interested in playing with them.  I know there are some websites that talk about games and have lively discussions about the many different non-standard decks out there, including decks with more than four suits and more than two colors.  You could have the playing-card equivalent of the next Pet Rock or Rubik's Cube on your hands!

There won't be a Kickstarter. I don't think they are original enough and I didn't design them from scratch, even though they are a free, as in beer, licence. The time commitment versus the reward is very minimal, and not being based in America would make things even more difficult. And there's nothing to stop some of the big name designers from putting on different suits to the cards they already have and corner the market with something better. Imagine if Kings Wild or on of the other big names came out with a 5+ suit deck. I hope they do. They win, and they should.

Crowns don't feel like they mesh with the rest of the suits, try make it into one contiguous piece with maybe just three points. You'll probably need new courts for your new suits. Ask sprout to get you in touch with Vivian. She designed some courts for him that look like Charles Goodall himself made it. Anglo-Rouennais knights!

As for games, the only ones that I know of that are played with 8 suits is Ganjifa. It's a very old trick-taking game from Iran and India that supposedly requires lots of memory and concentration.

The reasoning behind the crowns, was just to stay within the traditional theme, or at least try. Through some research, I read/found out that the suits tended to have these meanings:

hearts: clergy (love, death)
diamonds: merchants (money, business)
clubs: peasants (common people)
spades: nobility (elite, upper class)

That is why I matched:
hearts with crosses
diamonds with coins
clubs with stars (a little bit of a stretch, but it was simple and easy to identify)
spades with crowns

I would often play eight player games either, and I anticipate only using up to 6 different suits usually. The games I often play are:

asshole (a four player only game)
hearts (a four player only game)

The problem is when you have 5 or 6 players and using a traditional deck. Now, if the situation comes around again and I want to play one of these games with 5 or 6 people, I can add the 1 or 2 suits to the deck and the game stays the same with the same number of cards etc.

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 05:22:15 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
The problem is when you have 5 or 6 players and using a traditional deck. Now, if the situation comes around again and I want to play one of these games with 5 or 6 people, I can add the 1 or 2 suits to the deck and the game stays the same with the same number of cards etc.

Look up a 500 deck, they're designed for 6 players. Instead of adding more suits the 500 deck adds more ranks. They've been around for more than a century but are most popular in Australia. It includes 11s, 12s, and red 13s but only one joker for a total of 63 cards.

Check out Newt's cards, he's a forum member. He has a 70 card deck that adds black 13s and 6 jokers. With this deck you can also play Zwicker, a German game that uses 6 jokers. Only NSV still makes dedicated Zwicker decks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:31:42 AM by Worst Bower »

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »

troy

• True Member

Look up a 500 deck, they're designed for 6 players. Instead of adding more suits the 500 deck adds more ranks. They've been around for more than a century but are most popular in Australia. It includes 11s, 12s, and red 13s but only one joker for a total of 63 cards.

Check out Newt's cards, he's a forum member. He has a 70 card deck that adds black 13s and 6 jokers. With this deck you can also play Zwicker, a German game that uses 6 jokers. Only NSV still makes dedicated Zwicker decks.

Thanks, but adding number cards doesn't really work for the games I'm interested in. That's why I made the deck specifically with 13 cards of different suits.

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here's an interesting thought for you, one that I've floated to another erstwhile deck designer before (Russell Common, a.k.a. sprouts1114).  Sprouts has a concept for "Texas" playing cards - four suited jokers and each suit has extra cards in the court, a bishop and a cavalier.

He was insistent on doing his entire deck as a unique design, with value characters printed inside oversized pips in the indices.  I suggested to him that he could make the deck for a lot less money IF he made it compatible with an existing popular design by using the same back - for example, a Bicycle Rider Back or a Bee Diamond Back.  Bicycles, being the cheaper of the two, would be a good choice.  Instead of making an entirely brand new deck, you only need to make the extra cards - though in this case you would also have to print with USPC to get matching stock, finish, overall quality, etc.

These could literally be "expansion packs" for the existing design.  You could make a matching deck with four completely different suits in two new colors - blue bells and stars, green crowns and dots, etc.  You could make a new set of suits that match the existing suits but in new colors - green spades, blue diamonds, yellow hearts, purple clubs, etc.  You could make a set of cards that add new values to the existing deck - new courts, cards with values of 11, 12, 13, 14, etc., new jokers, etc.  It would allow for the expansion of what we presently use into something new, yet would not necessitate the creation of a completely new deck - just the additional cards.  One could even make "mix and match" sets - for example, sell the extra suits in small packs individually, or the extra value cards, allowing people to pick and choose the extra features they want to add to their decks.

This would be a highly viable and much simpler way to create such decks for the future.

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

cScott

• Newcomer

If you like playing cards with additional suits, you might be interested in Deck6: http://www.jamesrobertwatson.com/deck6.html

It has 3 red suits (hearts, diamonds and shields) and 3 black suits (spades, clubs and cups).

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »

Cazaux

• Newcomer
If you're looking for a universal deck with 6-suit, each suit having its own color, 20 cards per suit, designed as an extension of classical card deck, have a look at K6T:
http://jlg.cazaux.free.fr/k6t/k6t.htm

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 06:55:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The big issue with such decks is really coming up with viable games.  Just using these larger-than-normal decks with standard games doesn't always work - I tried Sprout's deck with the solitaire game Canfield, better known in the UK as Demon, and I didn't win a single game - the additional cards made the odds longer for success.  You'd need to have totally new games, or at the least new ways of playing existing games - ways that aren't just creative, but viable and workable in terms of odds, predictability, etc.  The more bizarre a game, the less likely you'll find people willing to give it a shot.

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2020, 02:37:10 AM »

brendantheraven

• Newcomer
Hi folks. Just wanted to add to this old thread to say that I have designed a new five suit deck: the Deck of Shields: https://deckofshields.com/.

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 06:15:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi folks. Just wanted to add to this old thread to say that I have designed a new five suit deck: the Deck of Shields: https://deckofshields.com/.

Would you care to elaborate more on how you've incorporated a fifth suit into an otherwise standard deck?  How would you say it affects game play in various popular games?  Or is it more for custom games?