You are Here:
Framing uncut sheets

Author (Read 32374 times)

Framing uncut sheets
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Hi guys. I've got 3 pretty rare uncut sheets that I'd really like to frame. The problem lies in the dimensions of an uncut. They're irregular. I can't just get a standard A3 frame because its too small, and A2 is way too big. Is there a particular size that's readily available? Or do you have to get custom made frames? Is there a particular store you go to (preferably in the uk) that is the place to go for uncut frames? Any help you guys can provide will be muchly appreciated.
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

Re: Framing uncut sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I'm fairly clueless regarding standard frames, thus when I decided to frame an uncut sheet, I had a custom frame made. It was $99 including shipping, plus I got to choose the rabbet and how thick I wanted it to be. It was shipped to me already assembled, and all I had to do was slip the uncut sheet into it and put the cardboard mat over the back. It was that simple. I do know the dimensions are roughly 22 inches by 26.5 inches, if that helps at all. As far as any specific store in the UK for frames, I'd be unable to help. I can, however, attest to having a very positive experience with a custom frame made. Best of luck finding a frame for your sheets.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
go to a store that sells frames and see if they do custom frames. thats the best way. I know hobby lobby does.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
If you truly love the uncut sheets you are framing and consider them art, then invest in a decent frame from a framer...  A nice mat and frame choice can really enhance the piece you are framing... It costs a couple of dollars more but it's worth it... Just make sure you explain to the framer that you want the piece untouched and that it's an investment, so you don't want any tape or glue touching the print...

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:11:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi guys. I've got 3 pretty rare uncut sheets that I'd really like to frame. The problem lies in the dimensions of an uncut. They're irregular. I can't just get a standard A3 frame because its too small, and A2 is way too big. Is there a particular size that's readily available? Or do you have to get custom made frames? Is there a particular store you go to (preferably in the uk) that is the place to go for uncut frames? Any help you guys can provide will be muchly appreciated.

You could try A2 with some matting.  You could also try something immense to hold two or three sheets together.  We 'Murrikins don't have those letter-number sizes for paper and frames, so...  :))

Perhaps an A2 frame will fit an uncut face up and a few extra cards face down...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:12:34 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:09 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I just use a poster size frame and it looks great, I have about 5 done and love them all.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 02:41:38 AM »

nicknamehere

• Newcomer
If you truly love the uncut sheets you are framing and consider them art, then invest in a decent frame from a framer...  A nice mat and frame choice can really enhance the piece you are framing... It costs a couple of dollars more but it's worth it... Just make sure you explain to the framer that you want the piece untouched and that it's an investment, so you don't want any tape or glue touching the print...

I would definitely echo this sentiment, especially if you're framing rare pieces. A bad frame job can easily ruin your uncuts. If you got a cheap frame from a large retailer, I'd guess that the matte and backing aren't archival quality and can eventually cause damage to your uncuts. I wouldn't spring for the high end museum stuff because the costs on that add up pretty quickly (and the frame job might end up costing more than the uncuts themselves), but a decent matte and backing are essentials, in my opinion. I'd consider the frame job an investment-if you get a good one, you'll never have to worry about replacing it or it causing damage to your goods.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I'll just leave this here...

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
@ CBJ

You had those custom framed? Very Nice!

Is that the actual deck at the bottom of the frame or just a card back?

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I wish these were mine!

They belong to a guy named Chad McMillian, and he had them custom framed.. with the actual decks.

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I like the idea of adding the deck at the bottom... Nice touch... Why didn't I think of that!!!  Chad - Ballin' :bosswalk:

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Thanks for all your input guys! I really like the idea of framing the uncuts with the deck underneath! Think I might be able to get away with an A2 frame to do that, which are pretty easy to get hold of! Only problem is, one of the uncuts is a red arcane and I can't put the deck underneath  :-[
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 07:37:59 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I have 13 uncut sheets. Maybe one or two (ultimate deck and ...red arcane or red artifice) I will use them on the wall so I am happy to hear any suggestion. In mean while I try some test, but CBJ photo look interesting. It's a good idea to have an uncut AND a single card with the back. It looks cool  ::)
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:35 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
CBJ, those are some really nice frames. It would be really cool if they were 2 sided.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for all your input guys! I really like the idea of framing the uncuts with the deck underneath! Think I might be able to get away with an A2 frame to do that, which are pretty easy to get hold of! Only problem is, one of the uncuts is a red arcane and I can't put the deck underneath  :-[

Then use a black Arcane box.  If you're feeling really fancy, "colorize" it to match the uncut sheet.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 04:25:47 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I need some ideas guys. So i recently got some new uncuts and want to frame it up. Just wondering if anyone has some new ideas rather than just framing it up with the ol' black frame.

I am considering creating an extra paper/cardboard border with maybe a description/title or something. But haven't had an idea on how to frame it without needing to glue my uncut sheet to the border. But i really wanna see how you guys do it. Any wild ideas? new ideas?

I remember seeing CBJ's photo have nice display frames, but they are taken down now.  :(
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:27:00 AM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Here you go...

you can see a larger version of that bottom one here...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3769/12104693293_18aa5133f9_o.jpg

Enjoy

CBJ

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Elegent....I like a lot.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I have about 15 framed sheets so far. I go to Hobby Lobby and get a 22x28 (inches) Exhibition (Frame type/design line/brand) frame. This will leave about 1/2" of space on the top and bottom of the sheet, but fits the sides perfectly and the slight bi of space above and below just look like part of the sheet itself.. It's a satin black frame, flat, and about 1.5" wide. It's elegant looking. They are $44.99 each, but if you use the Hobby Lobby app, you can apply the 40% off coupon to it. Last week, all of their frames were 50% off, so I picked up a half dozen for my next few sheets. They look great, are inexpensive, and I can get more, so my collection has a consistent, unifying look. I have mine on the walls on my stairwell that goes down to my game room and theater. I get a lot of compliments on them.
 I recommend them highly.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Those photos are beautiful Jay. Definitely looks like the route I would go if/when I have some uncuts to frame. Who knows, maybe once I grow my vintage collection a bit more I might have to grab a few uncuts.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Those photos are beautiful Jay. Definitely looks like the route I would go if/when I have some uncuts to frame. Who knows, maybe once I grow my vintage collection a bit more I might have to grab a few uncuts.

I wish these were mine.  They belong to a friend in the states

someday... ... someday....

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Snapped a couple of shots...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:35:25 AM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Nice Biggerdee. I haven't bought any uncuts because of not wanting to spend so much on framing.  Those look really nice for the price.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Thank you!

Exactly what I thought. At their normal 40% off (limit 1 per purchase, but you can buy one, put it in your vehicle, and then go back in and buy another), the frames are only $30. It's pretty tough to beat that for a good solid frame with glass. They look a lot more expensive than they really are. Besides...the less that I spend on framing, the more I can spend on cards and sheets!

They also have this frame style in other sizes as well so if you have other things to frame, and you want to keep that look consistent, you can do that as well. I like the simple black look. I have several hundred items framed in my downstairs game room, and almost all are in simple black frames. It adds an elegant look without taking away from the item on display. Well, at least I think so.

Try one of the frames out, I'm sure that you will be very happy.

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I would do this: buy a simple frame that is larger than you need. Purchase a large piece of matte board in whatever color you like and cut that to fit the frame. Then simply use something like the slightly tacky photo split squares to put the uncut in the center of the matte board, put the frame back together, and viola.

I've done that for 6-7 and they work fine and are very affordable. Just make sure to get a GLASS frame, not the crap plastic which looks horrible.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out