You are Here:
Digital icons and wallpapers

Author (Read 1024 times)

Digital icons and wallpapers
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:07 AM »

Rezfar

• Newcomer
Hello all,

I am an artist and I want to do art for playing cards but before that I thought it is better to start with something smaller about playing cards. So I want to make some digital icons and wallpapers about playing cards.

What do you think? Do you like such an idea and support? I am going to use kickstarter but as those are digital and there is no printing and shipping cost so those are super super cheap.

That was just an idea came to me!
Thanks for any reply.

Re: Digital icons and wallpapers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to create a Kickstarter for just playing card iconography - digital images of playing card pips, courts, etc. done as images and wallpapers.

There's a lot of that available for free on the 'net now - getting someone to pay you for it will be more of a challenge.  You might be able to sell your images to a stock photography website, a clipart site or something like that, but I couldn't even imagine how much you'd get for it - I don't think it would be a lot.  It's the classic case of trying to sell coal to Newcastle, a place legendary for coal production...

You'd do better to come up with an idea for a deck design, I think - a full-blown deck rather than just the parts of a deck.  Come up with a timely and original theme, preferably something popular enough that there'd be demand for a deck based on it.  If you're going to try a theme that's been done before, then you'd really need to make it somehow better than what came before if you want to stand a good chance of success.  It's not impossible, mind you - it's just challenging.  Lots of people remember the first team to climb Mount Everest - very few remember the 1,429th team, unless they do something like parasail off the peak, launch Burning Man Nepal, etc.

Whatever you do, don't automatically equate "unique" with "good" - there's a lot of very unique deck projects out there that just go nowhere because they're original but not appealing to the audience to which they're being presented.  You need both good and unique!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:32:25 AM »

Rezfar

• Newcomer
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to create a Kickstarter for just playing card iconography - digital images of playing card pips, courts, etc. done as images and wallpapers.

There's a lot of that available for free on the 'net now - getting someone to pay you for it will be more of a challenge.  You might be able to sell your images to a stock photography website, a clipart site or something like that, but I couldn't even imagine how much you'd get for it - I don't think it would be a lot.  It's the classic case of trying to sell coal to Newcastle, a place legendary for coal production...

You'd do better to come up with an idea for a deck design, I think - a full-blown deck rather than just the parts of a deck.  Come up with a timely and original theme, preferably something popular enough that there'd be demand for a deck based on it.  If you're going to try a theme that's been done before, then you'd really need to make it somehow better than what came before if you want to stand a good chance of success.  It's not impossible, mind you - it's just challenging.  Lots of people remember the first team to climb Mount Everest - very few remember the 1,429th team, unless they do something like parasail off the peak, launch Burning Man Nepal, etc.

Whatever you do, don't automatically equate "unique" with "good" - there's a lot of very unique deck projects out there that just go nowhere because they're original but not appealing to the audience to which they're being presented.  You need both good and unique!

Thank you for the reply, that was just an idea because I want to enter somehow. :)

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Thank you for the reply, that was just an idea because I want to enter somehow. :)

Enter?  Enter what?  Kickstarter?  You don't create a Kickstarter project just for the sake of creating a Kickstarter project...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/