You are Here:
Feedback on custom deck

Author (Read 26561 times)

Re: Feedback on custom deck
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »

LaternaMagica

• Newcomer
Where/how are you planning to launch this?

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Freelance illustrator and artist

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
I plan on launching a Kickstarter in about 2 or so weeks. I still have to get some design work for the page finished but it's getting close. I'll be posting a preview link before I launch to get feedback.

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 11:17:33 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
I have a pretty good start on the Kickstarter campaign, I'm mostly missing some layout art and a video, but I figure while I'm working on that, if someone (or multiple someones) would like to look at a preview and provide feedback, I'll provide a link.  Question on that though, should I just post a link in here or should I send direct messages to those interested?

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
More eyes on something you want feedback on is always better than less eyes isn't it? We don't always see the same things. You can link it either way you'd like. Here or in msgs I'm happy to have a look at it for you.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
More eyes on something you want feedback on is always better than less eyes isn't it? We don't always see the same things. You can link it either way you'd like. Here or in msgs I'm happy to have a look at it for you.

Makes sense, I'll go ahead and post a link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127474916/1148968627?token=3ee8c4d8

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
PM sent.

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 11:57:36 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Looks good, may want to show more images of the cards themselves. Talk a little bit about your design would be bad either, the more people know the more they can connect. There really is a lot going on with your design that is quite interesting looking.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 02:15:27 AM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
Looks good, may want to show more images of the cards themselves. Talk a little bit about your design would be bad either, the more people know the more they can connect. There really is a lot going on with your design that is quite interesting looking.

Thanks Fess! I think you're right, it wouldn't hurt to add a little more detail regarding design choices/ideas I had for creating this deck. And I agree, having images of the cards would make sense so people would have a better idea of what they'd be getting.

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback on my Kickstarter, I think it's helping to improve my campaign!

On a side note, I had a prototype deck printed up to see how the images would appear in card format and I'd say, for the most part, I'm pretty happy with the results.  There's a few cards that printed darker than desired so I'll have to do some tweaking but overall I like 'em :)

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This deck looks like a lot of fun. I'm excited for the campaign and I hope,  it's successful funding.  :)

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
This deck looks like a lot of fun. I'm excited for the campaign and I hope,  it's successful funding.  :)

Thanks!

Oh, and I've made some updates to my Kickstarter and believe I've taken care of most of my grammatical issues.  I'm still finalizing images and working on the video, but I figured I'd see if anyone has any new feedback/suggestions on my updated campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127474916/1148968627?token=3ee8c4d8

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My Kickstarter is live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127474916/alien-empires-illustrated-playing-cards

Good luck with your Kickstarter project.  I especially like the card back – it reminds me of the work of HR Giger.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 12:09:17 AM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
My Kickstarter is live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127474916/alien-empires-illustrated-playing-cards

Good luck with your Kickstarter project.  I especially like the card back – it reminds me of the work of HR Giger.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
So I've decided to cancel my Kickstarter for the time being.  I believe I rushed into launching it despite not having taken all the steps necessary to ensure it had enough publicity.  I haven't been able to focus on updates either due to having multiple conventions, helping my roommate get ready to move, and having to get myself ready to move as well. 

I will definitely be relaunching Alien Empires when things settle down, which will hopefully be the end of April or beginning of May.

On that note, I'd also like to thank you all for your support, both for backing the project and for helping spread the word of Alien Empires, I truly appreciate y'all's support :)

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that, but good luck with your relaunch.

If you don't mind some advise. If you're going to conventions, have you thought of drumming up interest with people buying your work there? If you think about it, if they're willing to buy one print, a deck has a lot more in it at a very affordable price. Equally, have you thought of reaching out to new of the playing card news site such as Kardify. The guys that run are amazing people and playing card fans. I'm sure they'd love to have an article about your deck on their site.

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:20 AM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that, but good luck with your relaunch.

If you don't mind some advise. If you're going to conventions, have you thought of drumming up interest with people buying your work there? If you think about it, if they're willing to buy one print, a deck has a lot more in it at a very affordable price. Equally, have you thought of reaching out to new of the playing card news site such as Kardify. The guys that run are amazing people and playing card fans. I'm sure they'd love to have an article about your deck on their site.

I'm always down for advice!  I tried drumming up advice at conventions and got a bunch of email address for a mailing list as well as provided a business card and directions on how to get to the Kickstarter campaign.  I had hoped I'd get quite a few more backers, especially based on the positive responses I received but it didn't have the impact I had hoped for.

As for Kardify, I hadn't actually heard of them so I thank you for bringing them to my attention.  When I'm ready to relaunch I'll be sure to reach out to them.  I'm actually working with a couple of friends to figure out how to do press releases and contacts to get the word out there.

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hi Dan - I only just went through your thread and was sorry to get to the end to see that you cancelled your campaign :(
Despite not being a die-hard alien fan, I like your artwork and it was a fascinating ride to see the design changes you made on route to launch. It's hard when life gets in the way - and sometimes impatience plays its part too ;) I'm sure you will do well with this deck and wish you luck for the re-launch :)
*wave*

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2017, 02:54:07 AM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
Hi Dan - I only just went through your thread and was sorry to get to the end to see that you cancelled your campaign :(
Despite not being a die-hard alien fan, I like your artwork and it was a fascinating ride to see the design changes you made on route to launch. It's hard when life gets in the way - and sometimes impatience plays its part too ;) I'm sure you will do well with this deck and wish you luck for the re-launch :)
*wave*

Thanks NineLives! I have enjoyed the process so even though life got in the way of successfully running a campaign :) Now that life's settling down a bit, I can start to focus on what I need to spread the word for my cards and hopefully run things a little more smoothly this time around.

And thanks for wishing me luck on my re-launch!

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »

Great Lakes Playing Card Co.

• True Member
  • Open to learning and growing
Thanks for the glimpse into this project and good luck as you retool and jump into Kickstart the next time.  There is a lot of good advice above especially about drumming up attention/demand as you go to conventions.  Where did you get your prototype deck printed?
Just getting started in collecting playing cards.  Any help is appreciated.  TY.

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
Thanks for the glimpse into this project and good luck as you retool and jump into Kickstart the next time.  There is a lot of good advice above especially about drumming up attention/demand as you go to conventions.  Where did you get your prototype deck printed?

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on your question, I got the prototype printed through makeplayingcards.com.  For one off print runs, they do really good work.  I had them printed on mid tier paper quality so it's possible the high end paper quality could turn out really great and may have to try it down the road for another prototype.

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
Alright, so it's been a while since I was on here, life's been, well, life.  Looking to get back into the swing of things and will hopefully be relaunching my Kickstarter now that things have settled down a bit.

Oh, and any advice on how to promote my cards would be awesomely appreciated. I've reached out to Kardify (though very recently so I'm sure it may be a bit before a response is received). Any other avenues y'all can think of would be super appreciated!

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback as well!

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »

willroya

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
These look really cool, good job.

My only suggestion I have is the tuck box; it would be nice to see a bigger image of the alien on the front, rather then two-way design, and move all the text to the top and / or bottom.

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
Well folks, looks like I'm finally able to get back into the swing of things and will be relaunching my Kickstarter mid-May (tentatively May 15th)!

I'm super excited for my relaunch and, as always, totally open to any advice from everyone :)

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »

DanFeldmeier

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:
After a recommendation from a graphic designer friend, I decided to add some color to the back of my cards.  I've done 4 versions and was would like other's opinions on which would look the best as a playing card, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Thanks!