You are Here:
Is a Deck That Has A Misprinted Card Considered More Valuable?

Author (Read 3963 times)

Is a Deck That Has A Misprinted Card Considered More Valuable?
« on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:37 AM »

MrSlaybury

Sorry if this isn't the right spot to ask this question :(

Maybe it depends on the misprint and the deck of course, but for some reason a deck feels more special to me if it has a misprinted card.  I only own a few yellow Bicycle Cyclist decks that are missing a diamond on the 10D, and out of the brick I bought I've only opened 4.  I'm assuming they all have the misprint.

Are there any well-known decks that were misprinted and considered more desirable?

Re: Is a Deck That Has A Misprinted Card Considered More Valuable?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:10:16 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Not in my experience. Playing cards are the opposite of things like coins and stamps. Imperfections make them less desirable. Some imperfections are fun to come across but that's where the value ends in the fun of seeing the misprint. Usually it's just a downer.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:05:55 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm with Fess.  Misprints, for me, make the value go down.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I think the different between playing cards and coins and stamps is that for coins and stamps, misprinted versions tend to be recalled and destroyed so that there's only ever a handful available. I think that's what makes their error valuable as it's part of the rarity of it.

I've yet to see a misprinted version of a playing card deck where it's recalled, destroyed and reprinted. The closest to that would have been the first run Deco by Encarded were a lot of the tucks were damaged and sent back to USPCC due to the foiling, tuck material and how USPCC's machines work to fold the tucks..

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:10:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Sorry if this isn't the right spot to ask this question :(

Maybe it depends on the misprint and the deck of course, but for some reason a deck feels more special to me if it has a misprinted card.  I only own a few yellow Bicycle Cyclist decks that are missing a diamond on the 10D, and out of the brick I bought I've only opened 4.  I'm assuming they all have the misprint.

Are there any well-known decks that were misprinted and considered more desirable?

There are misprints and there are miscuts and other unique errors.

A misprint is a case where there's an error in the printing that occurs on every single deck in the run.  A missing pip, a mispipped card, a misspelling, etc. would all qualify as misprints.  They don't generally enhance the collectibility because it's an error that occurred throughout the entire print run and they're rarely re-released in a corrected edition.

A miscut is something different.  A single card or a few cards are accidentally miscut in a particular deck, so the cards are cut somewhere far from the die line and perhaps even a portion of a card's back or face is missing.  It's the kind of error that might only occur in a single deck or at most in a small number of decks, unless the miscut is the result not of off-centered cutting but of a misprinted uncut sheet, as may have been the case in the Black Lions Seconds decks (many, many decks having a single card miscut is too much of a coincidence for it to not be the result of a misprinted sheet).  A one-of-a-kind or few-of-a-kind error like that might be considered more collectible to some because of the rarity of the error.  If nothing else, a magician might find a misprinted card like that desirable for use as a gaff card in a magic trick!

Other unique errors might include other bizarre manufacturing mistakes.  I've seen miscut tuck boxes, I've seen cards placed outside of the tuck flap and stuck under the deck seal, I've seen double-sealed decks and so on.  Some people will consider these more valuable, others won't - your mileage may vary.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »

Wild Joker

• True Member
My current deck of red Bikes has an oddity to it that I don't recall seeing on in a deck before, but specific cards in the deck (in this case, Ace and 9 of Clubs, 2 and 10 of Diamonds, 6 of Hearts and 7 of Spades) have a slight dark smear (appears to be blue in color) down the left side of the face of the card. It's faint, but it's noticeable - especially in a bright, or well-lit room. Again, this was in a 2-pack that came with a red and blue deck, but it appears only the red deck was affected by this, and not the blue.

And like I mentioned in another thread, my Chinese-made, imported Streamline deck has terrible misalignment with the printing on the court cards.

I also wouldn't chalk up off-centered backs as misprints or manufacturing errors - with the exception of my Limited Edition Ace Authentic deck, I haven't come across any other deck that doesn't have off-centered backs (unless you count Bee, but like Don once said, even Bee can be affected by off-centered backs).