Collect for Fun? Or Profit?

Author (Read 4762 times)

Collect for Fun? Or Profit?
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I enjoy collecting cards. I do it for my own personal pleasure. I never started this hobby with a for profit or an investment into my future. What about you? Do you collect for fun? Or for Profit?

You can cast your vote above.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:10:14 PM by quinn1295 »
Mike Quinn

Re: Collect for Fun? Or Profit?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:32:10 PM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member
for fun and interest in card magic. I guess its not reliable or profitable enough to make some money, if you don't invest a crazy amount of time into it. There are better and easier ways to make some profit with that time ;) I For my part don't want to know what I already spent on cards, even if they still might me worth a lot, its always hard to sell big collections. I don't see it as an investment. Just my hobby I like o spend money on ;)

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:11:46 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
for fun and interest in card magic. I guess its not reliable or profitable enough to make some money, if you don't invest a crazy amount of time into it. There are better and easier ways to make some profit with that time ;) I For my part don't want to know what I already spent on cards, even if they still might me worth a lot, its always hard to sell big collections. I don't see it as an investment. Just my hobby I like o spend money on ;)

I agree completely! I buy for fun and enjoy collecting.
Mike Quinn

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 01:53:03 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I've been carrying a deck of cards on me for so long I feel naked without one. I've gone so far as to stash a mini deck in the watch pocket over keeping one of my pocket knives with me on occasions that a bulging pocket just wouldn't do. Just shuffling a deck can reduce my stress. Sorting to rank and suit for just a minute relaxes me and seems to refill my patience just a bit. For me they are never an investment and not for profit. Quite honestly I have never sold a deck of playing cards. I've been known to trade a bit now and a again. I gift some decks to people who show an interest as well with the hope to awaken something inside that says pick up another deck or two and enjoy. I have a fear that if I was to start selling decks I wouldn't enjoy them as much as I do. Like I would be chasing something different at that point. I'll stick with the smile and pleasure instead. This is just me, for those who wheel and deal and get pleasure from that I think it's great. I give them money, they give me beautiful decks in exchange. I appreciate those who sell their treasures so others can enjoy them as well.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:23:32 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
I've been carrying a deck of cards on me for so long I feel naked without one. I've gone so far as to stash a mini deck in the watch pocket over keeping one of my pocket knives with me on occasions that a bulging pocket just wouldn't do. Just shuffling a deck can reduce my stress. Sorting to rank and suit for just a minute relaxes me and seems to refill my patience just a bit. For me they are never an investment and not for profit. Quite honestly I have never sold a deck of playing cards. I've been known to trade a bit now and a again. I gift some decks to people who show an interest as well with the hope to awaken something inside that says pick up another deck or two and enjoy. I have a fear that if I was to start selling decks I wouldn't enjoy them as much as I do. Like I would be chasing something different at that point. I'll stick with the smile and pleasure instead. This is just me, for those who wheel and deal and get pleasure from that I think it's great. I give them money, they give me beautiful decks in exchange. I appreciate those who sell their treasures so others can enjoy them as well.

Fess - I loved your response. It is straight from the heart. In this digital world, where devices take most of our time, playing cards are the one that can bridge the gap between families and enable them to bond with each other (same can be said about board games too). Though not scientifically proven but I believe cardistry improves concentration, hand-eye coordination and also act as a stress buster. Playing card collectors also have a deep appreciation of the art of varied kinds, and this is a good hobby to have.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:29:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Definitely for fun.  I've sold a few decks, traded a few others, but I collect what I collect because it's what I want and what I use.  I enjoy playing solitaire with my cards, showing them off on occasion, even performing with them - though usually only the more common decks end up anywhere near someone else's hands.  That's a lesson I've learned the hard way more than once as I've seen collectible decks ruined by less-than-tender-loving care in the hands of people who don't distinguish rare collectible decks from the cheap cards sold at the dollar store.

It's actually difficult to sell for a profit, at least on a smallish scale.  I tried it once, made a decent-sized investment on a deck, buying (if I remember correctly) a gross of them for resale.  Turned out to be a helluva a lot more work than it was worth - I still haven't sold them all, but it's a fun deck so have some on hand isn't a bad thing.  There are a few rare decks that you know you can turn around quickly, usually promotional or premium decks or something in a very rare, very limited edition, but with the market as flooded as it is today, unless you're a retailer making a regular business out of it and getting cards at wholesale, it's tough to make a profit on cards-as-short-term-investments.

Even then, most of the retailers making any money in cards are usually also selling magic - another tricky investment, but it can be profitable in the right market with a steady stable of customers.  The ones who aren't selling magic are selling poker and similar gaming supplies (pool tables, game rooms, etc.), but the needs of poker players are rather specific - few decks sought after by collectors end up in the inventory of stores specializing in poker-related gear.  Most carry plastic decks in matched two-deck sets with completely standard faces and in a limited number of back designs.

Long term, who knows?  Almost none of my decks are around long enough to be long-term investments yet.  Even then, I'm not holding my breath unless there's a massive expansion in the popularity of the hobby worldwide.  It's growing, to be sure, but it's too hard to predict long-term trends for investing in cards - I'll stick to my 401k and my pension plan!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Fun all the way, I do sell decks, but hardly for the purpose of "Huge" profits. It's more of a purging as we go along........do I really need a brick of XYZ? So I usually sell at market value or just below, just to turn that money back into other decks  ;)

For profit, and I'm talking real profit, its too much work and in my opinion, hardly worth the return on investment. Enjoy your collection, I have a box of open decks that my kids picks from for each family game night, variety is the spice of life  ;)

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 01:58:09 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It was fun for me in the beginning, then slowly I thought of buying in bulk and selling them for a little profit to cover what I want to keep. That didn't work out the way I wanted. So now I am back with having fun collecting what I really want  ;)

I try to choose carefully what I really like and not buy things based on popularity  :P
Back for more

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
It was fun for me in the beginning, then slowly I thought of buying in bulk and selling them for a little profit to cover what I want to keep. That didn't work out the way I wanted. So now I am back with having fun collecting what I really want  ;)

I try to choose carefully what I really like and not buy things based on popularity  :P

I wish I had taken that advice early in Hankman. I started collecting decks as I was into magic. I joined 52 Plus so I could figure out how to collect cards. The advice I kept getting over and over was collect what you like! So here I am 2000 decks later just collecting what I like. I do get caught up in the hype from time to time; however I really enjoy collecting. Now if I could just start opening some of them and learning how to enjoy a deck of cards the way Fess does.
Mike Quinn

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I wish I had taken that advice early in Hankman. I started collecting decks as I was into magic. I joined 52 Plus so I could figure out how to collect cards. The advice I kept getting over and over was collect what you like! So here I am 2000 decks later just collecting what I like. I do get caught up in the hype from time to time; however I really enjoy collecting. Now if I could just start opening some of them and learning how to enjoy a deck of cards the way Fess does.

It's up to an individual's preferences.  Some people crack them open and play, others display them on their walls in shrines, others hoard them for the future.  Whatever makes you happy!

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Fess - I loved your response. It is straight from the heart. In this digital world, where devices take most of our time, playing cards are the one that can bridge the gap between families and enable them to bond with each other (same can be said about board games too). Though not scientifically proven but I believe cardistry improves concentration, hand-eye coordination and also act as a stress buster. Playing card collectors also have a deep appreciation of the art of varied kinds, and this is a good hobby to have.

I too love Fess' response - and agree with Sunish's reply :)
My collecting is on a very novice level, though each new deck is a treasure I enjoy, share and play with (too curious and excited to keep a deck in it's wrapping...).  I can't do any fancy tricks, though shuffling and sorting through a deck of cards is the visual feast that relaxes my mind - and gives hands that are always looking for something to do - something to do ;)

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »

Connor X

• Newcomer
  • Heyo!
 If you are collecting cards for a profit, you're doing it wrong. You should do it because you want to, because unless you have some very old decks, there isn't really much of a profit to get.
 I collect because I'm a hobbyist magician, and I realized how much art can go into a deck of cards.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I Love all the responses here. I agree with all of you that collecting is a fun hobby for me as well. I have just seen times when folks try to profit highly off of decks that are out of print or unavailable. For instance you buy decks during a Kickstarter campaign for $15 a deck. One year later they are no longer available and you would like one for your collection or just for fun. You find them for sale from $50 to $300 dollars. All I can say is WOW! I have never tried to profit like that with fellow collectors. I always try to treat everyone with dignity and respect. I guess if I ever sell my collection, line up because the deals will be out of this world!
Mike Quinn

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I Love all the responses here. I agree with all of you that collecting is a fun hobby for me as well. I have just seen times when folks try to profit highly off of decks that are out of print or unavailable. For instance you buy decks during a Kickstarter campaign for $15 a deck. One year later they are no longer available and you would like one for your collection or just for fun. You find them for sale from $50 to $300 dollars. All I can say is WOW! I have never tried to profit like that with fellow collectors. I always try to treat everyone with dignity and respect. I guess if I ever sell my collection, line up because the deals will be out of this world!

Some decks do go for a hefty premium after they're gone, but there's just so many decks out there that not all will achieve premium status in the aftermarket.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 01:29:06 AM »

cere23

• True Member
I am new to collecting, Have been collecting for almost a year.
I spend alot of  money,  got great deals, however I do feel guilty about spending so much money, Now looking back, because of that reason, sometimes I regret starting this hobby, afterall it was hobby discovered practically on accident.

I collect for fun,, never intended to sell, or make money. I originally planned on buying 1 deck to keep seal, and 1 to open, but then it got really difficult to open a seal deck that sells at premium.   And decks at release are getting more and more expensive.

I think I have over 550 unique decks and maybe over 1300  in total decks, lost count,
now I find myself now purging alot of my duplicates,  trading or selling.

Even if i get good returns on one deck, There is another that would sell below cost,
It really is just to make a little money, or just get my money back after all the selling/shipping costs.

It's really really difficult  to have a consistent income from buying and selling decks of cards.
I see myself more as selling to buy some other decks later, or buying a bundle, then make my money back, and hoping to cover a few decks for personal collection (less guilt).

Atleast now I ended my search on pre-2016 decks, now I can just get new releases,
Instead of hunting.

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 11:13:53 AM »

MrSlaybury

I never expected collecting cards would make me anything; I expected it to cost me! But...

I recently ordered one deck of what I though was the Bicycle Pluma deck, and I was sent 6 of the Autumn deck, 3 of each color.  I ordered it again (wanting that Pluma deck!), and again I was sent 6 Autumn decks.  I did not accept them and informed the store.  Then the site went out of stock.

Next day, they're back in stock at a different price, so I ordered three.  I was sent 3 half bricks!  Went home and they showed 4 left in stock, so I bought all 4.  Again, I was sent TWO BRICKS of the Autumn deck, one of each color.  I called customer service, and they literally told me there must've been either a mistake, or the warehouse was clearing stock and used an existing sku.  Either way she said, and I'm quoting, "congratulations, enjoy them!"

So, I sold some, and I kept some.  I sold some half bricks on eBay incredibly cheap.  Around twenty bucks, shipping included.  I passed on a great deal, and made a couple bucks.  Now I have a bunch of decks to use, and a bunch to add to my collection.  I really love the cards themselves.  They seem like a thinner stock than Standard RBs.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I never expected collecting cards would make me anything; I expected it to cost me! But...

I recently ordered one deck of what I though was the Bicycle Pluma deck, and I was sent 6 of the Autumn deck, 3 of each color.  I ordered it again (wanting that Pluma deck!), and again I was sent 6 Autumn decks.  I did not accept them and informed the store.  Then the site went out of stock.

Next day, they're back in stock at a different price, so I ordered three.  I was sent 3 half bricks!  Went home and they showed 4 left in stock, so I bought all 4.  Again, I was sent TWO BRICKS of the Autumn deck, one of each color.  I called customer service, and they literally told me there must've been either a mistake, or the warehouse was clearing stock and used an existing sku.  Either way she said, and I'm quoting, "congratulations, enjoy them!"

So, I sold some, and I kept some.  I sold some half bricks on eBay incredibly cheap.  Around twenty bucks, shipping included.  I passed on a great deal, and made a couple bucks.  Now I have a bunch of decks to use, and a bunch to add to my collection.  I really love the cards themselves.  They seem like a thinner stock than Standard RBs.

Great story, I'm on the end of it never working out in my favor when a mistake is made. It's cool to hear a story involving a win fall in stead of the shortfall I've experienced. Also very cool you passed along some of the win to others. I would have sent them a quick email to notify them of the error before ordering more but that's just me. I'm curious, while the Autumns are great decks, did you ever get your Pluma?
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 03:31:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I spend alot of  money,  got great deals, however I do feel guilty about spending so much money, Now looking back, because of that reason, sometimes I regret starting this hobby, afterall it was hobby discovered practically on accident.

I collect for fun,, never intended to sell, or make money. I originally planned on buying 1 deck to keep seal, and 1 to open, but then it got really difficult to open a seal deck that sells at premium.   And decks at release are getting more and more expensive.

I think I have over 550 unique decks and maybe over 1300  in total decks, lost count,

Even if i get good returns on one deck, There is another that would sell below cost,
It really is just to make a little money, or just get my money back after all the selling/shipping costs.

It's really really difficult  to have a consistent income from buying and selling decks of cards.
I see myself more as selling to buy some other decks later, or buying a bundle, then make my money back, and hoping to cover a few decks for personal collection (less guilt).

Atleast now I ended my search on pre-2016 decks, now I can just get new releases,
Instead of hunting.

Wow, you dove into the hobby head-first, didn't you?  :))  I've been at it since the end of 2010 and I have maybe 50% more than you do.

Chasing the older decks can be fun, but it can also be costly.  It's not a bad thing to do, if you really target your searches and find some good deals - they're out there if you look.  Sometimes, you'll even run into collectors interested in acquiring some of your "trading fodder" (duplicate decks you're looking to sell) in exchange for the older stuff you would like but otherwise might not be able to readily afford.

Yeah, stuff like that can be priceless.  It was due to a similar mistake that I ended up meeting David Blaine in person at his office in New York City!  There's a topic on it around here if you search for it.

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »

MrSlaybury

Great story, I'm on the end of it never working out in my favor when a mistake is made. It's cool to hear a story involving a win fall in stead of the shortfall I've experienced. Also very cool you passed along some of the win to others. I would have sent them a quick email to notify them of the error before ordering more but that's just me. I'm curious, while the Autumns are great decks, did you ever get your Pluma?

Thanks, definitely a huge awesome hug for me from them lol.  Sadly...no, I never got the Pluma.  I'd post the link but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to.  It must've just been a placeholder pic for them.  I kind of paraphrased the entire story, but at one point I definitely made clear to them there was an error, that's one time when it went out of stock.  I assumed they fixed the error, but nope!  I sold half of what I received.  People were definitely stoked on the copper color versus the green.  Still, I would love to have a couple Plumas in my collection.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »

MrSlaybury

Instead of hunting.

Wow, you dove into the hobby head-first, didn't you?  :))  I've been at it since the end of 2010 and I have maybe 50% more than you do.

Chasing the older decks can be fun, but it can also be costly.  It's not a bad thing to do, if you really target your searches and find some good deals - they're out there if you look.  Sometimes, you'll even run into collectors interested in acquiring some of your "trading fodder" (duplicate decks you're looking to sell) in exchange for the older stuff you would like but otherwise might not be able to readily afford.

Yeah, stuff like that can be priceless.  It was due to a similar mistake that I ended up meeting David Blaine in person at his office in New York City!  There's a topic on it around here if you search for it.

Don, I'm definitely searching right now for that story!  I wish I could be around in 200 years when they're still talking about the gifts he gave to our generations!

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »

akicer

For fun for sure, but I do usually buy multiple decks I like and sell some of the extra ones to "hedge" the cost if the decks do increase in value lol

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Mostly for profit ;-)

But I do have a fairly sizable collection as well. Just wish there were better ways to display a lot of decks easily.

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »

cere23

• True Member

Instead of hunting.

I decided if I was going to be serious about it, Might as well go All-In , Though first 3 Months, I did not get any Older Kickstarter Decks (Expensive),  I used to think anything above 12$ is just too much for a deck of cards, *Now its a Norm, even before 3rd Party Market*

So I Just kinda got USPCC standards, maybe few early Ellusionist and T11 flagship decks.
Then I Just Dove in,  I figure It will just be harder and harder to hunt decks I would eventually would wanna get anyways, and more expensive. Also have found some good deals from people who were shedding duplicates, and just found good luck.
I feel if I started in 2017 as oppose to 2016,  It would be impossible to get to where I am now. As some decks seem to have just vanish from circulation.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:09:09 PM by cere23 »

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »

MrSlaybury

You know, I've found that I love selling decks as it gives me something to do!

I had a bad back injury, and for a couple years I've been on SSDI and frankly, bored out of my skull.  I list decks on eBay not to make any money, but mainly for something to do!  For example, I just bought a brick of Penguin Black Tallys, and I'm selling a few decks in order to make the ones I use cheaper.  I typically open a deck a day and as we all know it gets expensive really fast!

I track all my purchases and sales with a simple excel spreadsheet, and the whole buying and selling process has helped fill the void I have from not working.  I went from Retail Management as a GM overseeing 35 employees and millions in sales...to overseeing my dirty laundry and AD card collection (I can't be the only one that's saved every ad card from every deck I've ever opened:).

There isn't much that can give the same feeling of happiness as a fresh deck of cards.