Nine Lives Illustrated Playing Cards - self published deck

Author (Read 4161 times)

Nine Lives Illustrated Playing Cards - self published deck
« on: June 28, 2015, 02:10:38 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hello :)

After a year of drawing and painting I am excited to announce the arrival of this new little deck of playing cards.

Available from:

A little introduction:
  • 52 Playing cards + 2 Jokers
  • Tuckbox and folded title card included
  • Standard (bridge) size 57 x 89mm
  • 300gsm smooth card stock
  • $17 AUD + postage (single deck ships @ $8 AUD world-wide)

Nine Lives Illustrated Playing Cards is a deck inspired by Tarot, featuring fully illustrated Royals, Aces, Joker & Card backs.
The artwork features Kings, Queens and Knights from Nine Lives Tarot, redrawn and dressed in clothes to match their corresponding playing card suit.

Aces combine tarot and playing card symbols, while pips follow a more traditional style using suit symbols I designed especially for this deck.

*wave*

Re: Nine Lives Illustrated Playing Cards - self published deck
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:33:04 AM »

CthulhuWho1

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
1. I think the cards are beautiful!

2. Bridge-sized decks are rather small for my large hands, so I would love to see them in a poker-sized deck.

3. And I placed an order for two decks back on the 22nd. of June.

4. So I am keeping an eye on my mailbox daily for the soon to arrive package!

5. If my wife likes these as much as I believe she will, I'll have to order more; especially if they are released in poker-sized decks!

6. Thank You for creating these!

Will Hart
Fullerton, California

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:58:55 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
1. I think the cards are beautiful!

2. Bridge-sized decks are rather small for my large hands, so I would love to see them in a poker-sized deck.

3. And I placed an order for two decks back on the 22nd. of June.

4. So I am keeping an eye on my mailbox daily for the soon to arrive package!

5. If my wife likes these as much as I believe she will, I'll have to order more; especially if they are released in poker-sized decks!

6. Thank You for creating these!

Will Hart
Fullerton, California

Thank you so much for your comments Will - I truly hope you (and/or your wife) will be happy with them and I look forward to hearing your feedback on the actual cards :)
I chose bridge size because it fitted the artwork (coming from the tall & narrow tarot size), it's also the (playing card) size I am most familiar with (seems strange around here, but it's true ;))
... If there's enough interest, I'd absolutely enjoy making a poker size version of this deck in the future.

Hopefully your package will arrive very soon - thanks again and all the best :)

Annette

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
I love the art work, especially the Queen of Spades.  However, bridge size kills it for me.

Thanks for the posting.  They were enjoyable to see.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I love the art work, especially the Queen of Spades.  However, bridge size kills it for me.

Thanks for the posting.  They were enjoyable to see.

Thank you for your kind feedback - I'm glad you like the art :)
I might look into creating a poker size version in the future ...

Thanks again for stopping by to look :)

*wave*

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I find the attitude against bridge-sized decks to be curious, personally.  I do own some bridge-sized decks in my collection - the majority are poker-sized simply for the fact that most of the decks I encounter are poker-sized.  We're talking about a different of just a quarter-inch of width, folks!  Most of the late-model airline decks I own are bridge-sized, probably having a lot to do with the fact that most airplane seats are bridge-sized at best, patience-sized at worst!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
I find the attitude against bridge-sized decks to be curious, personally.  I do own some bridge-sized decks in my collection - the majority are poker-sized simply for the fact that most of the decks I encounter are poker-sized.  We're talking about a different of just a quarter-inch of width, folks!  Most of the late-model airline decks I own are bridge-sized, probably having a lot to do with the fact that most airplane seats are bridge-sized at best, patience-sized at worst!

It is like explaining why someone likes oranges and dislikes apples or why I like large diving style watches but not small.

One is just looks right; the other does not.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:23:11 PM by chas0039 »

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:28:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It is like explaining why someone likes oranges and dislikes apples or why I like large diving style watches but not small.

One is just looks right; the other does not.

But at a distance - and not a very long distance at that - they practically look the same.  I've confused images of a poker-sized deck for being bridge-sized and vice versa.  (Or maybe that's just me, I don't know...)

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
You are right, of course.  But I hold my cards close up.  Getting old, you know.  And the feel is also a big part.  I also collect Tarot cards for the art.  I never use them.  There size is less of an issue unless the art will be lost.  And I have passed on decks for just that reason.  Oddly, I have seen some Tarot images smaller than the versions on a poker deck.

Go figure.

And if this deck was the usual KS project at $10 delivered, I would go for it just for the Queens.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:34:32 PM by chas0039 »

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 01:05:54 AM »

BlueToy

• Facebook:

*wave*

The images look great, especially the suit of spades/swords. I think you only need to do some limited editing with the cards to turn them into bridge size (a little shifting of the figures to the sides).

-Ly

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

*wave*

The images look great, especially the suit of spades/swords. I think you only need to do some limited editing with the cards to turn them into bridge size (a little shifting of the figures to the sides).

-Ly

Thank you :)
I'm enjoying the feedback on size and am learning a lot about the different ways people see and prefer cards. In the end I think it's subjective (as most things to do with taste are) and perhaps also based on where you live....

I went on a mission to find a poker sized deck yesterday - it took me 7 shops before I found one  ??? After visiting a bunch of book stores, newsagents, a game store and a tobacconist / gift shop - I finally discovered a cute little shop devoted to games (board and card) with multiple deck sizes on display in their counter cabinet... And so I now have one to compare :)

It's true, I don't think I need to make that many changes to make this deck poker size (I might do some drafts and put in the D&D section), the biggest part (for me) is the printing cost...

Thanks again Don, chas0039 & Blue Toy for your kinds words and feedback - I really appreciate it :)

*wave*

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 05:22:50 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I went on a mission to find a poker sized deck yesterday - it took me 7 shops before I found one  ??? After visiting a bunch of book stores, newsagents, a game store and a tobacconist / gift shop - I finally discovered a cute little shop devoted to games (board and card) with multiple deck sizes on display in their counter cabinet... And so I now have one to compare :)

May I ask which shop did you went to get the card?
I know there are a few shops in Melbourne, but they are a bit dear. oh and If you need help in finding more deck I can help you too  :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:23:44 AM by HankMan »
Back for more

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's true, I don't think I need to make that many changes to make this deck poker size (I might do some drafts and put in the D&D section), the biggest part (for me) is the printing cost...

Thanks again Don, chas0039 & Blue Toy for your kinds words and feedback - I really appreciate it :)

*wave*

You're welcome.

There's practically no difficulty at all adapting a bridge-sized card to poker-sized - you add a eighth-inch margin on the left and right sides of the art and push the indices back into the newly-positioned corners.  Makes for a nice amount of negative space that allows your indices to stand out nicely.

It's easy to put a smaller painting in a bigger frame - the inverse of that is what's difficult!

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
May I ask which shop did you went to get the card?
I know there are a few shops in Melbourne, but they are a bit dear. oh and If you need help in finding more deck I can help you too  :)

Thanks HankMan - the shop is 'the games shop' :)
I was only after one deck for size comparison - to see how much difference 6mm makes ;)

*wave*
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:07:29 PM by NineLives »

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 11:06:11 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
You're welcome.

There's practically no difficulty at all adapting a bridge-sized card to poker-sized - you add a eighth-inch margin on the left and right sides of the art and push the indices back into the newly-positioned corners.  Makes for a nice amount of negative space that allows your indices to stand out nicely.

It's easy to put a smaller painting in a bigger frame - the inverse of that is what's difficult!

Thanks Don :)

I agree, it's absolutely easier to add space than to do the reverse...
The biggest obstacle for me (at the moment) is printing costs, and that I really, really don't know my way around KS or crowd-funding :)

*wave*

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You're welcome.

I agree, it's absolutely easier to add space than to do the reverse...
The biggest obstacle for me (at the moment) is printing costs, and that I really, really don't know my way around KS or crowd-funding :)

*wave*

It's really not that difficult.  I do consulting for designers, many of whom take their designs to Kickstarter for funding.  It's as simple as knowing what your costs will be and setting your goals appropriately.  The bigger issue is fulfilling the rewards after the campaign has successfully closed.  That involves either 1) doing all the heavy lifting yourself, 2) luring your friends to help with a pizza party, BBQ, etc., or 3) hiring a company that does fulfillment and praying they do the job right.  Fortunately for you, Legends is already in the fulfillment business as well, while Expert is experimenting with providing fulfillment services straight from the factory.

The biggest caveat there is - make sure you know every single associated cost you have with getting your deck off the ground and into people's hands, from the cost of the print run right down to the number and cost of the rolls of packing tape and bundles of shipping boxes.  If you leave ANYTHING out, it comes from your profits, and when the profits are gone, it comes from your pocket...ouch...

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

There is much to think on and learn about... and I appreciate your support :)

*wave*

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I thought it could be fun to share a little background on the colours I chose for the courts (the royal outfits).

Some of my early favourite playing cards dressed the courts in matching colours: spades in  green, the clubs in purple, the hearts in red and the diamonds in blue …. Others incorporated the colours worn by the royal families of the time. In tarot, the minor suits often use colour to enhance the symbolic meaning of each realm. While there are variations (i.e. different schools of thought or methods), the use of colour can provide instant visual cues about the cards in front of you.

In this deck, I have used colour as a subtle reference to the tarot suit each playing card suit is connected to, adopting the colour scheme I used for Nine Lives Tarot.
Below - the characters of the courts in detail - accentuated on coloured background...

The Royal Hearts – dressed in accents of red with the element water in focus

The Royal Clubs – wearing orange and yellow to symbolise their Fiery element

The Royal Diamonds – dressed in accents of green to reflect the element Earth

The Royal Spades – wearing shades of Indigo to reflect the element Air

*wave*

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 02:17:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
There is an antique deck out there that you would have LOVED...  The Hochman's Encyclopedia lists it as "NY55," but the manufacturer (the old New York Consolidated Card Company) called them "Mediaeval Playing Cards" when they were manufactured in 1897.  I stumbled across them when I was researching another deck by the same company.  They were very custom, and I imagine quite expensive - the faces were done in six ink colors, while the backs were five colors plus gold!  Non-standard decks weren't very popular at the time, though, so this design was something of a bust, never remade.  But looking at the artwork, I can see that it would be something right up your alley!

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 05:41:57 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Oh you have me intrigued with the NY55 (or Medieval Playing Cards) - for some reason the attached image won't show... and I have Googled the names you mentioned no avail :) Connections and associations are exciting - and one day I'm sure I will see an example of these cards :)

*wave*

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 06:11:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Oh you have me intrigued with the NY55 (or Medieval Playing Cards) - for some reason the attached image won't show... and I have Googled the names you mentioned no avail :) Connections and associations are exciting - and one day I'm sure I will see an example of these cards :)

*wave*

Have you tried loading the page into a different browser?  That sometimes works.

I learned about it from images in the Hochman's Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards, authored by this forum's owner, Tom Dawson, with his wife, Judy.  The latest edition is digital - you can purchase it from the shop at the Conjuring Arts Research Center, were you inclined to do so.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Firefox! :)
Thank you  - and I do like them (a lot), thank you ever so much for sharing.

*wave*

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Firefox! :)
Thank you  - and I do like them (a lot), thank you ever so much for sharing.

*wave*

I just wish I knew what the rest of the deck looked like!  It's something that looks worth reprinting.