You are Here:
Why do gaff decks cost so much more than normal cards?

Author (Read 2977 times)

Why do gaff decks cost so much more than normal cards?
« on: June 11, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »

The London magician

• True Member
 :-\ I have been looking around the web a bit and found myself wondering why Gaff decks are so much more expensive than say a standard deck of bikes. I know that some offer video training but this is usually an additional extra.

If all your paying for is a deck of gaff cards (with no gold foil or anything extra special) why should they cost so much?

When reading this don't take it the wrong way; I absolutely love the effects you can get with a deck of gaff cards.
Maybe you guys can help and even recommend the best gaff cards...

Re: Why do gaff decks cost so much more than normal cards?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
:-\ I have been looking around the web a bit and found myself wondering why Gaff decks are so much more expensive than say a standard deck of bikes. I know that some offer video training but this is usually an additional extra.

If all your paying for is a deck of gaff cards (with no gold foil or anything extra special) why should they cost so much?

When reading this don't take it the wrong way; I absolutely love the effects you can get with a deck of gaff cards.
Maybe you guys can help and even recommend the best gaff cards...

Why does a good paperback novel cost more than a good paperback dictionary?  They both have words in them...

Someone had to think of those gaffs and how to make them work as magic tricks, then actually design then, just like some author had to think of a way to string a bunch of words together to make a story worth reading and someone had to edit them to make it all more coherent.  That's why gaff decks cost more.  And why reading dictionaries is a lot more boring than reading novels...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I'll add in, if the deck is marked, you are also doing 52 different backs as well. So there is a whole lot of extra art work. Printing companies do charge more for each additional back design as well.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:21:43 AM »

The London magician

• True Member
Thanks both of you, I think I understand them more now; thank you especially Don for you simile: it made it clear for me to understand.

What about the second part of my question...

Which gaff deck would you say is the best?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:22:06 AM by ConquistadorMagic »

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks both of you, I think I understand them more now; thank you especially Don for you simile: it made it clear for me to understand.

What about the second part of my question...

Which gaff deck would you say is the best?

Again, it's a subjective thing.  One magician's favorite gaff might be another magician's LEAST favorite gaff.

Plus, there's a matter of definition here - because there are decks of gaff cards, then there are gaffed decks, and they're not the same thing.

A deck of gaff cards would be a boxed set of specific gaff cards, of which you'd use anywhere from one of them to a handful of them for a particular trick - a double-backer card would be a single gaff card, a three-and-a-half of clubs would be another, a series of four or five "Queen of Hearts" cards where the face fades to a lighter shade from card to card combined with a blank card to represent 100% faded, etc.

Gaff cards can be "packet tricks" where only a small number of cards are needed to perform the trick, or they can be meant for use when combined with a deck of standard cards having a matching back.  For example, the "Ultragaff" deck from Ellusionist is designed specifically for use with a pack of red Bicycle Rider Backs, while the "Arcane" gaff deck is designed specifically for use only with their own Arcane brand of playing cards.  Both contain packet trick cards that can be used in a subset independent of the full deck, but the bulk of the cards are meant to be used with matching standard deck.

Gaff cards, until recently, were more commonly sold either individually or in small sets.  This was often the case because the seller, typically a magic shop or a fellow magician, either specifically ordered the cards to be custom-printed in this way or the cards were actually crafted by hand.  A classic example of a hand-crafted gimmick might be a card that has two different "half-faces" on the same card - like the top half of a Queen of Hearts and the bottom half of a King of Spades; an old-school magician might make such a card by splitting the face from the back of one of each of these cards, precisely cutting the faces in half with a razor blade or an Exacto knife, then recombining the mismatched halves and regluing the two half-faces and the card back together, thus creating two gimmicked/gaffed cards.  Many gaffs, such as those created by Kevin Reylek for his "Cannibal" trick, are not only made by hand, but the cards themselves are "consumed"/used up over the course of the trick, thus can only be used once - though often in such cases, the consumed gaff can now be handed out as a unique souvenir for the spectator.

A gaffed deck would be a trick deck - an entire deck meant to be used for performing a trick or category of tricks.  The cards in it can appear perfectly normal or can have a specially-altered appearance, but the combination of the entire deck of cards works in concert for performing the trick.  There may also be a special gimmick concealed in the box or among the cards, used for executing the trick.  A marked deck, an "Invisible" deck, a stripper deck, a "Rising Card" deck, a "Brainwave" deck, a "Svengali" deck, a "Gambler's" deck, a "Mirage" deck - these are all examples of gaffed decks.

In many cases, the cards can't be passed off as a standard deck because they don't look like a standard deck - for example, the "Rising Card" deck could never be used to deal a few hands of poker because of the Rising Card gimmick concealed within, nor could a "Svengali" deck, because every other card is identical to each other and cut shorter than the rest of the deck.  In other cases, the cards could be used in a standard card game, but would allow for a player "in the know" to use them to his or her advantage in the game - for example, using a marked deck when playing a few hands of poker will give the players who know it's a marked deck and how to read the marks a decided advantage over those who don't know, and a player using a stripper deck to deal some hands of a card game could set the deck up to allow a specific player to receive specific cards chosen by the dealer, granting an advantage.

It's really less a matter of choosing the "best" gaffed deck or deck of gaff cards, but choosing the ones needed for the tricks you want to perform.  I wouldn't buy a Svengali deck for a gambling demonstration, but I might buy a stripper deck or a marked deck (or a deck that combines the features of both, like a Gambler's deck).  I wouldn't buy an entire pack of gaffed cards if all I wanted was to perform a trick using two three-and-a-half of clubs cards or if I just needed the special gaffs for "MacDonald's Aces" or a unique version of a three-card monte routine.

Having said that, if I'm in the market for gaffed cards, buying a full deck of them tends to be more cost-effective than purchasing individual gaff cards or packet tricks, and will often come with an instructional video either included or as a separate purchase.  A single gaff card will typically come with either no instruction (because it's thought to be so common or simple as to require no instruction) or it might come with a simple trick or two printed on a piece of paper packaged with the card.

Individual gaff cards, whether purchased as individual cards, small sets of cards or complete decks, often require a certain amount of sleight-of-hand skill to be used effectively - the ability to force a card, make a card "disappear", switch decks without the spectator noticing, etc.  They often require a level of skill slightly higher than the typical beginner, and sometimes the instructional videos will demonstrate how to perform the tricks for the cards - but not necessarily the basic techniques of card forcing, deck switching, etc. that are needed to use them effectively, or if they do include such instruction, it's often of a more basic level.  A beginning magician would be well-advised to supplement a purchase of gaff cards or a deck of gaff cards with some videos or books on sleight of hand.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:25:14 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:51:45 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Don that is a very good and comprehensive explanation :o
You are like a walking dictionary of Playing Cards

Thanks for the info, I am learning something again from you
Back for more

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »

The London magician

• True Member
Just like Hankman, I have also learned something new and interesting!

I won't make this mistake again and I know now the answer to my original question.

I'm still on the hunt for a good deck of gaff cards though and I was wondering what some people's opinions are on the subject.

I'm looking for something innovative but not too expensive. Bike back would be preferable, but I'm not that fussed.

I'm looking froward to seeing what you guys come up with! 😃

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just like Hankman, I have also learned something new and interesting!

I won't make this mistake again and I know now the answer to my original question.

I'm still on the hunt for a good deck of gaff cards though and I was wondering what some people's opinions are on the subject.

I'm looking for something innovative but not too expensive. Bike back would be preferable, but I'm not that fussed.

I'm looking froward to seeing what you guys come up with! 😃

Well, there's only so many choices, really.

Magic Makers produced a "Carnival" trick deck, mostly packet tricks with red Rider Backs.

There's maybe two or three other all-gaff Bicycle decks I know of outside of Ellusionist.  E has two models, one in red only (Ultragaff) and the other in red and blue (Bicycle Gaff Deck).

Of those three decks I mentioned by name, each has some sort of video instruction to go with it.

"Carnival" Trick Cards - Magic Makers made a DVD with the same title.

"Bicycle Gaff from E" - their "Army of 52" video covers these plus the Ghost and Black Tiger gaff decks.  HOWEVER...  because of changes in how USPC allows their decks to be made, SOME of the tricks seen in the video no longer appear in those decks - in short, any trick using the Bicycle Rider Back in an altered form is gone, and any with altered jokers or an altered Ace of Spades are either gone or use a different joker/AoS design.

Coincidentally, as the Ghost and Black Tiger decks from E are variants of the standard Bicycle deck, you can use the base decks all by themselves as gaffs for a Bicycle Rider Back deck!  Black Ghost and Shadow Masters would work in this capacity as well.  Picture a color change where you suck all the colors out of the red cards (Ghost), then change them black (Black Ghost), the put the red colors back in (Black Tiger) and end with making them appear a little "smoky" (Shadow Masters).  Additionally, the gaff decks for Ghost and Black Tigers have some gaff cards that are compatible with red and blue Bicycle decks.

"Ultragaff" - this was a special project, for which E created a series of three DVDs to go with the deck.  It's more than just how to use the gaffs; they go into some simple instruction in sleight of hand, misdirection, etc.  The volumes are numbered, and go in order of increasing level of expertise needed.  I'm not certain, but in that case as well, there's probably a few tricks that are no longer available - but that would depend on whether or not they've reprinted Ultragaff or are still selling old stock of it.

A caveat with "Ultragaff" - there are now counterfeit copies of that deck circulating, believed to have originated in Asia somewhere, probably in China.  They're inferior in nearly every way to the original.  Buy yours from either a reputable shop or directly from Ellusionist.

Oh, and if you like your decks a bit more sturdy, the Bicycle Masters decks from E are among the cheapest out there that have Bee stock and Magic Finish, and aside from the unique Ace of Spades, they appear identical to a standard Bicycle deck.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 02:44:35 AM »

The London magician

• True Member
Thank you Don

I have bought a deck of Masters and I am very pleased with it. The quality of the cards is just so much better than normal bikes.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 06:31:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you Don

I have bought a deck of Masters and I am very pleased with it. The quality of the cards is just so much better than normal bikes.

In New York City, Bicycle Standards are so expensive, Bicycle Masters are barely more in price, even with factoring in the shipping (we have a high sales tax).  It's worth paying less than a buck extra for the better quality.

If you were interested in branching out a bit more in terms of what gaffs you want to use, Kevin Reylek (now over at Penguin Magic) developed a nice gaff deck for the Tally Ho brand, including double-backer cards that are Tally Ho on one side, Bicycle on the other.  Tally Ho is a good quality brand, not as stiff as Bee decks but firmer than Bicycle.  The come in red and blue as well as in Circle Back and Fan Back designs.  The only drawback to them is that USPC limits their sales, calling it a "regional brand" - you can only find them in magic shops, card dealers or in New York City.

http://www.cardgaffs.com/tally-ho-gaff-deck/

Overall, the gaffs in his deck are simpler and more utility gaffs than obvious gaffs.  By that I mean that an obvious gaff is one that the spectator will notice, while a utility gaff is one the spectator isn't even aware of.  For example, a 13 of Hearts is an obvious gaff card, especially when used in a trick.  Everyone knows there's no 13 of Hearts in the deck, and you're blatantly showing off the card to them in the course of the trick - if you aren't, you're probably doing the trick wrong!  Now, a double backer is also a gaff card, but in most tricks that use double backers (either with matched or mismatched backs), the spectator never becomes aware that a gaff card was employed to execute the trick - and in the case of most spectators, they're unaware that such cards exist, so to them, your trick looks more like a genuine miracle than it does like a weirdly-printed card.

A favorite trick of mine using a double backer plays out like this.  I have a deck of cards in hand and a different card sitting on the table, face down.  The face down card is my prediction of the card my spectator will draw.  I have them choose a card, then have them sign the face so we can be certain it's their card.  I shuffle up the deck a little, then pick up that prediction card, peek at it, and place it on the deck, asking the spectator if they'd like to see it.  Of course, they do - and you turn it over to reveal that not only was it the correct card, but that's it's signed, AND it has the mismatched back on it!  Then I spread the deck face down on the table and show that there are no other cards with that back in the deck.

That trick uses a double backer with two different backs in it, and the spectator may "see" the card during the trick, but they see it thinking it's a regular card, never once cluing into the fact that a gaff card was used to execute the trick.  And that's what I'm referring to when I refer to a utility gaff that's subtle - it will literally go unnoticed, whereas others are completely "in your face" and the spectator can't help but notice it, because they're supposed to, because that's the purpose of the trick.  The subtle gaffs are sneaky as hell, while the obvious gaffs are great for getting a few laughs or surprised looks but they're anything but subtle.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:46:43 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 06:53:16 AM »

The London magician

• True Member
Once again, your knowledge is incredible!

I tried to have a look at the website, but it was being updated; so, as soon as possible, I will have a look. One of the big problems I have with buying physical props (anything that is not a download) online is the fact that suppliers are based in the US while I live in Europe and the shipping fees are too high. I have been on a hunt for a quality card producer in the EU and still cant find one (besides Fournier which make plastic coated cards). This applies to props as well: I can buy them, they just cost more. Do you know wether CardGaffs ship to Europe, England specifically? This might be stretching you too far, but someone else might know.

Thanks again  :D

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Once again, your knowledge is incredible!

I tried to have a look at the website, but it was being updated; so, as soon as possible, I will have a look. One of the big problems I have with buying physical props (anything that is not a download) online is the fact that suppliers are based in the US while I live in Europe and the shipping fees are too high. I have been on a hunt for a quality card producer in the EU and still cant find one (besides Fournier which make plastic coated cards). This applies to props as well: I can buy them, they just cost more. Do you know wether CardGaffs ship to Europe, England specifically? This might be stretching you too far, but someone else might know.

Thanks again  :D

He'll ship anywhere, if you're paying.  We also have a few people here who operate stores in Europe.  JP Playing Cards (jpplayingcards.co.uk) is from the UK and CartesMagie.com/Playingcardz.net is from France, and the owner of each store is a member here.  Do a little searching around and you might find their coupon codes, though I can't guarantee they're still in effect.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 02:58:36 AM »

The London magician

• True Member
Thanks for the info.

I like to use JP playing cards when I buy custom decks, but I'll check out some of the others that you recommended.