« on: June 03, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Wasteland Playing Cards

Desert Ranger Edition
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:21:17 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Wasteland playing Cards -KWP (KS 7-1-15)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I love that the reveal on this coincided so closely with the announcement of Fallout 4. And this really hearkens back to design work that Jackson did on Boarderlands. Playing cards and two of my favorite game series all loosly connected through nostalgia in my brain. Couldn't be happier.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56:49 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Wasteland is now Live on KS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722808047/wasteland-playing-cards-illustrated-by-jackson-rob?ref=nav_search

Don't miss it  :D

oh BTW it is already funded too... in about 2 hours after launch...
Back for more

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
This post needs some pics  :D

Artistic playing cards illustrated by Jackson Robinson in collaboration with inXile Ent. inspired by the video game Wasteland 2.

Vimeo Video:

About wasteland 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_2

inXile Entertainment: http://www.inxile-entertainment.com/

Over a year ago Brian Fargo of inXile Entertainment and Jackson Robinson of Kings Wild Project, starred in the feature-length documentary about crowdfunding entitled Capital C. The film followed the journey of three unique crowdfunded campaigns, including Brian Fargo's Wasteland 2 project and Jackson's project Federal 52.

Brian and Jackson hit it off great at the film’s premier and during the night's conversation they had the idea of continuing the story by doing a project together....This is the idea:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:58:16 AM by Magic_Orthodoxy »
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
Clearly others will buy these decks based on reputation, well deserved I might add.  But is there some reason he only chose to show 3 cards from both decks?  I kind of like to see what I am buying.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:16:25 PM by chas0039 »

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I believe he posted that he is going to add artwork as the campaign goes. Maybe it is still WIP, or as a marketing tactic? I'm glad to see no limited decks, the Scarlett/Emerald TH campaigns were a little stressful.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
That explains it.  I had not seen that before.

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 12:33:55 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Clearly others will buy these decks based on reputation, well deserved I might add.  But is there some reason he only chose to show 3 cards from both decks?  I kind of like to see what I am buying.

That's pretty typical. Jackson has done that on most of his projects. As Justin O said -WIP.  He often does google hangouts, and will put out videos of the designs. His artwork is always top notch, but his interaction with the backers has also made him very popular. He knows how to run the projects.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Wasteland playing Cards -KWP (KS)
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

That's pretty typical. Jackson has done that on most of his projects. As Justin O said -WIP.  He often does google hangouts, and will put out videos of the designs. His artwork is always top notch, but his interaction with the backers has also made him very popular. He knows how to run the projects.

I typically advise people to have most if not all of their artwork done and dusted before launch of a project, just to insure they won't hit delays for incomplete art and to have something to show backers.

Jackson's formula is different, and for him it seems to work - he'll continue working on the project throughout the project, launching with just a small amount of the work done but with some blueprint of what it will look like in his head, so he's not going into to empty-handed.  He's usually 100% or close to it by project close and people who are interested in doing so get to see the project evolve along the way.

It's a method I would advise for only the most organized and disciplined of artists.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 12:18:51 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Jackson's formula is different, and for him it seems to work - he'll continue working on the project throughout the project, launching with just a small amount of the work done but with some blueprint of what it will look like in his head, so he's not going into to empty-handed.  He's usually 100% or close to it by project close and people who are interested in doing so get to see the project evolve along the way.
It's a method I would advise for only the most organized and disciplined of artists.

The biggest difference here is that most deck producers through kickstarter are hobbiest, many with unrelated professional experience or only Kickstarted projects as experience, where Jackson is an industry established designer and illustrator with YEARS of professional experience working in very deadline agressive and demanding industries for very large clients. If you look at his design portfolio online you will recognize some huge names or designs under his belt.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The biggest difference here is that most deck producers through kickstarter are hobbiest, many with unrelated professional experience or only Kickstarted projects as experience, where Jackson is an industry established designer and illustrator with YEARS of professional experience working in very deadline agressive and demanding industries for very large clients. If you look at his design portfolio online you will recognize some huge names or designs under his belt.

I don't know about that - I'd say a lot of the designers, especially the more successful ones, have jobs in design work or are artists in their own right.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

I don't know about that - I'd say a lot of the designers, especially the more successful ones, have jobs in design work or are artists in their own right.

There is a difference between selling your art in a gallery or designing for small local companies, and working for clients such as Coca Cola on designs that will be featured on their holiday campaign, and Hasbro on a Lucas Films IP.

I was being a little generalistic, but for the most part I don't think I was too far off the mark...

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
It looks like I won't be able to actually see what I am buying before I commit so, regardless of past work, that kills the deal for me.  I don't need to spend money on something that everyone else likes when I may not.

No Sale

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It looks like I won't be able to actually see what I am buying before I commit so, regardless of past work, that kills the deal for me.  I don't need to spend money on something that everyone else likes when I may not.

No Sale

Don't make up your mind just yet.  He's planning to reveal more art as the project goes on.  By project's end, if the deck isn't completed, it will be very close to it, I'm sure.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

There is a difference between selling your art in a gallery or designing for small local companies, and working for clients such as Coca Cola on designs that will be featured on their holiday campaign, and Hasbro on a Lucas Films IP.

I was being a little generalistic, but for the most part I don't think I was too far off the mark...

Uusi and Randy Butterfield both worked on major campaigns for national companies long before they made decks on Kickstarter, and I'm sure there are more, I just can't recall them right now.  And don't sell "designing for small local companies" short - it's the bread and butter of a lot of designers.  Nowadays, with the Internet being what it is, there's a lot of "small, local companies" that do business all over the world.  I recently did consulting work by videoconference between two other people on a total of three continents, and I'm not exactly a global conglomerate...

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

Uusi and Randy Butterfield both worked on major campaigns for national companies long before they made decks on Kickstarter, and I'm sure there are more, I just can't recall them right now.  And don't sell "designing for small local companies" short - it's the bread and butter of a lot of designers.  Nowadays, with the Internet being what it is, there's a lot of "small, local companies" that do business all over the world.  I recently did consulting work by videoconference between two other people on a total of three continents, and I'm not exactly a global conglomerate...

That's fair, and I was being maybe a bit too hyperbolic just to make a point. But I appreciate what you are saying.

It looks like I won't be able to actually see what I am buying before I commit so, regardless of past work, that kills the deal for me.

The nice thing about this project is that you know it is a guaranteed production and there aren't any limits on any of the decks, so you can literally wait until the last day of the project, when virtually all of the art has been displayed, and make your choice then, no sense in writing it off on the second day since anyone waiting at this point isn't going to hurt the project, its already well past goal at this point.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
Thanks.  Odd way to do things but I'll keep watching.  So far, I am not impressed.

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 07:36:04 AM »

jsantafe

• Newcomer
I don't know if you stepped in the lattest Uusi campaign (BRüt), but it worked like this one: the style was set, a couple figures displayed, but they were (and still are) being released to backers one by one. Both, Uusi and Robinson, two of the most succesful deck designers at this moment.
Anyway, it's true that this project is quite different from previosu JR ones, so a little more art and less "blind faith" would have been nice.

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 11:49:07 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I don't know if you stepped in the lattest Uusi campaign (BRüt), but it worked like this one: the style was set, a couple figures displayed, but they were (and still are) being released to backers one by one. Both, Uusi and Robinson, two of the most succesful deck designers at this moment.
Anyway, it's true that this project is quite different from previosu JR ones, so a little more art and less "blind faith" would have been nice.

Chris Ovdiyenko follows this pattern as well, will start the project with an obvious theme and a few peices of completed art, and then posts they new cards as the project goes.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 06:21:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
An FYI to all and sundry - these came out last month in two editions, Radioactive and Desert Ranger.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=9087.msg121196#msg121196
(Includes link to KS project.)