• DeviantArt:

Re: "Counting The Cards" (Marked and Unmarked Playing Cards) KS
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:31:05 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
umm, I don't get it... ???

Very inventive! So inventive, I have no idea what's going on there. Due in no small part, to my own failings as a human being, I have no desire to try and figure out what's going on there either. Maybe it's a new card game or something. Naa, it's a ...

Oh look a butter rum! om nom nom
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

I am not sure I get it either, so I invited the creator here to maybe share more information.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I am not sure I get it either, so I invited the creator here to maybe share more information.

LOL. It seems like we are all the same here. Someone please simplify and explain to us

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The guy put his own face on all the cards.  A regular legend in his own mind...

This project is what it must feel like just after your car got shoved off the road, broke through the guardrail and is still soaring through the air, almost gracefully. moments before gravity and momentum turn your bones into a fine jelly...sort of in a "mid-accident" state where you're just realizing the horrific situation you're in and your utter lack of power to do anything about what's going to happen next...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:14:56 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
There's too much going on here.
I hope he does come on and explain his idea behind this.
the face reminds me of a Jimmy Neutron cartoon
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I can't seem to find any press releases about his deck.  Does anyone have any links?

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:58:20 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Quite interesting goals, such as one million decks by new years day.

The only way that's likely to happen is if the guy has a rich friend who is willing to buy approximately 999,990 of these decks. If I were the project creator, then I wouldn't count on it.

Furthermore, the top pledge tier makes something of a bold claim -- that the #1 for each deck will be on tour in museums around the country. Again, the only way the deck will get into any museum is if that millionaire friend turns out to be a billionaire and purchases a bunch of museums to get his buddy's deck included on display.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:10:30 PM by HolyJJ »
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
..........stares at for several moments......................scratches head.......................starts to say something......................Interrupted by Ginsu Knife Infomercial...................forgets about what ever this is.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

The only way that's likely to happen is if the guy has a rich friend who is willing to buy approximately 999,990 of these decks.. If I were the project creator, then I wouldn't count on it.

Furthermore, the top pledge tier doesn't makes something of a bold claim -- that the #1 for each deck will be on tour in museums around the country. Again, the only way the deck will get into any museum is if that millionaire friend turns out to be a billionaire and purchases a bunch of museums to get his buddy's deck included on display.

I have to agree with you.   $2500 for a Limited Edition deck seems a bit high even if it's 100. I would love to know which Museums he has lined up to show his #1 deck.   I have a Museum near me....

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I can't seem to find any press releases about his deck.  Does anyone have any links?

There are none.  There is no press.  These aren't the droids we're looking for.

The only way that's likely to happen is if the guy has a rich friend who is willing to buy approximately 999,990 of these decks.. If I were the project creator, then I wouldn't count on it.

Furthermore, the top pledge tier doesn't makes something of a bold claim -- that the #1 for each deck will be on tour in museums around the country. Again, the only way the deck will get into any museum is if that millionaire friend turns out to be a billionaire and purchases a bunch of museums to get his buddy's deck included on display.

Seriously - this guy's project reads like he's been off his meds for too long.

..........stares at for several moments......................scratches head.......................starts to say something......................Interrupted by Ginsu Knife Infomercial...................forgets about what ever this is.

Yup - an excellent description.  It's like seeing something out of the corner of your eye, something that can't possibly be real, but there it is.

In fact, I'm seeing some of these impossible things in real life.  Cartoon Network is on.  Just saw back-to-back ads for "Doggie Do" and "Gooey Louie".  One game is about making a dog poop and scooping it up.  The other is about picking the boogers out of someone's nose until his brain pops out of his head.  The mental gear-shifting I just experienced wondering how the hell these games came to be is very much like the gear-grinding I'm experiencing just attempting to wrap my head around this "deck".

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Lonnie messaged me with an explanation...
"I used my face because the card is the launch of the franchise "Counting The Cards" The movie is in production right now! I play the Joker Character, who's name is Grey Dalco. The release will be next fall. The character "Grey Dalco" that will be played by Lonnie himself, uses the Magical and Powerful Marked Playing Cards to "Time travel," "See Peoples Personalities," and as a "Weapon" and "Magical Tool." He can also "Communicate with it" into different Realms and Times in history. He gets into all kinds of situations on his journey that the Awesome and all Powerful Playing Card helps get him out of."

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Lonnie messaged me with an explanation...
"I used my face because the card is the launch of the franchise "Counting The Cards" The movie is in production right now! I play the Joker Character, who's name is Grey Dalco. The release will be next fall. The character "Grey Dalco" that will be played by Lonnie himself, uses the Magical and Powerful Marked Playing Cards to "Time travel," "See Peoples Personalities," and as a "Weapon" and "Magical Tool." He can also "Communicate with it" into different Realms and Times in history. He gets into all kinds of situations on his journey that the Awesome and all Powerful Playing Card helps get him out of."
Uhhhhhh.... Lonnie sounds kinda like a sociopath.... ???
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Blimey... this is going to kickstart a movie!

It's interesting how Lonnie switches from talking about himself from first person to third person. I don't usually poke fun at people... but in this case, I have to pretty much second what Don has said about the guy having been off his medication for too long. I wouldn't be surprised an addiction to those funny green cigarettes is partly to blame for this.

The movie plot sounds even worse than the current funding level for the cards.

I checked the guy's previous kickstarter campaign, and that had a goal of over 7k. The final funding level for that project was... zero bucks.

With a whopping $25 being the funding total at the time I write this, I think it's pretty safe to say that the project is far from the worldwide phenomenon that the guy was expecting/hoping it to be.

In terms of the impossible goals that the guy has set, the project is a complete car crash. Unless he builds his own playing card museum, there is NO WAY any museum will feature this deck (assuming it gets made one day).

With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
He applied for an account here on the Discourse.  I had to reject the application, though - his IP address kicked out a positive in the spammer ID database we use.

The man sounds like he requires professional help and I hope he gets it sooner than later.

In terms of the impossible goals that the guy has set, the project is a complete car crash. Unless he builds his own playing card museum, there is NO WAY any museum will feature this deck (assuming it gets made one day).

Well if he could afford to make his own museum, he could certainly afford to print his own decks...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:22:35 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 08:33:35 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Don - Are you saying his computer is a zombie and is part of a botnet?  If so, darn I was really looking forward into hearing what he had to say.  Is that spammer ID database part of a master list from the server or do you have to build your own list with each attack?   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:58:49 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I checked the kickstarter page again, and two things are now gone:

(1) The mention of the 1 million decks goal. Maybe a bit of practical sense finally made its long awaited debut.

(2) The funding -- the 25 bucks that was previously pledged is now gone!

Lonnie Dalson has written on the counter image that he'll update the graphic daily with the pledge total and number of decks pledged... and so it'll probably be quite disheartening for the guy to change it from $25 and 1 back to double zeros.

I'm not wishing bad on the guy... but I have to be brutally honest and say that the deck is an absolute disaster. Even the movie idea sounds like something that's far more suited to a childrens book than a film.

In a way, this project is reminding my of the "Weer'd One" cards that were on kickstarter a few months ago.

The creator of that particulr project referred to his Weer'd Ones cards as being "the most desirable cards ever produced" (even though they didn't end up getting produced), and even he had a previous project which had zero pledges.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Don - Are you saying his computer is a zombie and is part of a botnet?  If so, darn I was really looking forward into hearing what he had to say.  Is that spammer ID database part of a master list from the server or do you have to big your own list with each attack?

His IP address was flagged as being used for sending spam.  We have a database we subscribe to that checks all applicants to the board.  That's all.

I checked the kickstarter page again, and two things are now gone:

(1) The mention of the 1 million decks goal. Maybe a bit of practical sense finally made its long awaited debut.

(2) The funding -- the 25 bucks that was previously pledged is now gone!

Lonnie Dalson has written on the counter image that he'll update the graphic daily with the pledge total and number of decks pledged... and so it'll probably be quite disheartening for the guy to change it from $25 and 1 back to double zeros.

I'm not wishing bad on the guy... but I have to be brutally honest and say that the deck is an absolute disaster. Even the movie idea sounds like something that's far more suited to a childrens book than a film.

In a way, this project is reminding my of the "Weer'd One" cards that were on kickstarter a few months ago.

The creator of that particulr project referred to his Weer'd Ones cards as being "the most desirable cards ever produced" (even though they didn't end up getting produced), and even he had a previous project which had zero pledges.

This project launched as a hot, wet mess, and now it's a swamp on fire...

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

Darn, I guess he has to reset back to zero...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:12:52 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Update from Lonnie.
Tell your posters I love there comments. It has been a brutal disaster. I took my face off of most of the cards because the feedback was so bad!!! Novelty museums are where the card would go if it was successful. There's one here in Orlando. I do want to build a small museum here to feature collectors playing cards and where people can come and play. The movie is turning out pretty good. It is something out of this whole thing that I think will actually work. I don't spam, but the IP is a public library! My first kickstarter project I had no idea what I was doing! The movie is being made on green screen and computor graphics. I'm pretty hard to impress too, like you guys are, but it is coming along pretty good. It's a dark movie, pretty interesting so far. Lot's of work though!

Sounds like Lonnie would be an interesting addition here. Can you let Lonnie though the fort knox security set up of this forum Don?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:30:34 PM by Rose »

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Thanks Rose, for posting Lonnie's comments.

I second what Rose has suggested -- if it is possible to let Lonnie through, then that would be pretty cool. I can imagine that the majority of people in his position would have gotten pretty angry having read some of the sarcastic remarks... but Lonnie saw took things with a pinch of salt, and used the feedback to make at least some improvement to the cards.

If Lonnie is reading this, I have a few thoughts regarding the project -- I'll split it into positives, and not-so-positives.

*The positives*

(1) Putting in numbers in place of the face is definitely an improvement. With the faces, the it was far too difficult to tell what the card value actually was -- you'd have had to memorise the faces in order to tell in an instant what card it was.

(The improvement appears to have been good enough to make up for the pledge that was lost.)

(2) Removing pledge tiers which were not exactly reasonable was another good move. At the end of the day, you have to make a campaign come across as serious on all levels if you're looking to get people to part with their hard earned cash to invest in the project.

(3) Removal of the part where it was mentioned that the goal was to have a million decks sold in just over a month. That goal was about as unrealistic as it gets. The maths is obvious: to sell 1 million decks at 25 bucks each would mean that the campaign is expected to raise 25 million bucks (excluding extra for shipping). The most successful playing card campaigns have been brilliantly designed decks, and they didn't manage to get to quarter of a million, let alone 25 million. 1 million decks really was a crazy target -- I'm sure most who saw that would have questioned whether this project was serious or not.

*Questionable aspects*

(1) I think Lonnie's target audience for this project is different to our community over here -- this project's appeal is likely to be for those who are into movie memorabilia and/or those into sci-fi related stuff.

Seeing as:

(a) the movie not yet made, and
(b) there isn't very much publicity about the movie

The main things that would help sell/promote a deck like this are missing.

(2) The reason for there being marked version of a deck like this is not entirely clear to me...

Marked decks are useful for magicians/performers and gamblers/deception artists... the decks in this project cater to neither. Most magicians use cards which have recognisable features like courts and centre pips -- anything that's totally different raises suspicion. Similarly, gamblers or card game players are unlikely to use a novelty deck like this. Therefore, my personal opinion is that markings are somewhat out of place on a deck like this.

(3) The price. Although it may be common for movie memorabilia to sell for 20 bucks or more, it would have to be a huge franchise such as 'The Hunger Games', 'Lord of the Rings', 'Star Wars', etc. Due to the already established mega success and popularity of those movies, big prices are relatively easy to justify. For an unreleased movie (which is not even based on a successful book), with no publicity or hype, a high price is really tough to justify.

(4) The printer -- although it's been mentioned that the cards are printed in the USA, it's not explicitly stated who the printer actually is. A playing card kickstarter project really should say who the deck is being printed with.

That's all for now. I'm genuinely curious to see how the movie turns out!

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 01:01:19 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Going from the design I would have guessed it was for some card game. I am lost and confused as well, but the marking system intrigues me. Not the slickest, but I feel you could get away with it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 01:08:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Update from Lonnie.
Tell your posters I love there comments. It has been a brutal disaster. I took my face off of most of the cards because the feedback was so bad!!! Novelty museums are where the card would go if it was successful. There's one here in Orlando. I do want to build a small museum here to feature collectors playing cards and where people can come and play. The movie is turning out pretty good. It is something out of this whole thing that I think will actually work. I don't spam, but the IP is a public library! My first kickstarter project I had no idea what I was doing! The movie is being made on green screen and computor graphics. I'm pretty hard to impress too, like you guys are, but it is coming along pretty good. It's a dark movie, pretty interesting so far. Lot's of work though!

Sounds like Lonnie would be an interesting addition here. Can you let Lonnie though the fort knox security set up of this forum Don?

Lonnie is welcome to re-apply.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that someone used the library computers to launch spam - they're all probably part of a botnet by now.  It's really never a good idea to use a public connection like that for anything other than casually looking for something to read, listen to or watch online without entering any passwords or logins.  I would recommend that he apply from a more secure location, such as the Internet connection in his home or a friend's home.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
This guy is nuts.  http://www.unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6092

It gets better and better...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:57:23 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Sprouts, I guess you gotta give the guy credit for posting to the forum -- the comments over at UC were pretty brutal!

Although the improvements did manage to pick up a few pledges, it's clearly not enough to get the project to its funding goal -- nowhere near it for that matter.

The comments from the UC members regarding the markings are valid though. Furthermore, these cards probably don't lend themselves very much to games like poker anyway -- after all, Lonnie himself has admitted that these are novelty cards (and not really cards for card game players).

At present it's not 100% clear whether the movie is even 100% confirmed to be happening or not -- because Lonnie has implied that they're still looking for funding. If it doesn't happen, then even the novelty value of the deck diminishes.

I personally miss the creepy music from the kickstarter video -- it kind of reminded me of the funfair. On the other hand, I understand why the music is gone, because it didn't exactly sound like something that you'd seriously find on a movie soundtrack.