Post Your Collection / Your Newest Acquisitions

Author (Read 349213 times)

Newest Acquisitions
« Reply #775 on: May 15, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »

CthulhuWho1

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Bicycle All Wheel Back No.2 Playing Cards

I don't see these mentioned anywhere on PlayingCardForum, and I wasn't aware of them until recently when I spotted them on Ebay and Amazon, but I'm hoping someone here knows their history.

I've learned online that they were released in early May 2012, but I can't find any information on who actually created them in their print run of 2500.

Being standard Air-Finish Bicycle Playing Cards from the USPCC, they handle beautifully; and I really like the look of the back design.

So I'm wondering why these aren't mentioned much on the card collecting sites...

Will Hart
Fullerton, California

(Still working on my first deck, and very glad I'm not in a hurry!)

Re: Newest Acquisitions
« Reply #776 on: May 16, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Bicycle All Wheel Back No.2 Playing Cards

I don't see these mentioned anywhere on PlayingCardForum, and I wasn't aware of them until recently when I spotted them on Ebay and Amazon, but I'm hoping someone here knows their history.

I've learned online that they were released in early May 2012, but I can't find any information on who actually created them in their print run of 2500.

Being standard Air-Finish Bicycle Playing Cards from the USPCC, they handle beautifully; and I really like the look of the back design.

So I'm wondering why these aren't mentioned much on the card collecting sites...

Will Hart
Fullerton, California

(Still working on my first deck, and very glad I'm not in a hurry!)

Actually, they HAVE been mentioned here...

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/new-deck-bicycle-all-wheel-back-no-2-now-available/

There's an ironic story as to why they're called No. 2.  The "Mrs. Robinson" book that compiles all the Bicycle deck backs had this listed second in alphabetical order - it was never originally known as No. 2 until this deck came out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:16:15 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Post Your Collection / Your Newest Acquisitions
« Reply #777 on: May 21, 2014, 06:56:41 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
Probably not all that limited though they claim to be limited edition 90th anniversary. Just thought I'd pick up some from my local store anyway.

« Reply #778 on: May 21, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Probably not all that limited though they claim to be limited edition 90th anniversary. Just thought I'd pick up some from my local store anyway.

Do they perform any better?  I've heard they're pretty terrible cards from the Aussies who use them.

« Reply #779 on: May 21, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Woot!
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #780 on: May 22, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
Don although it has a slightly different tuck the cards are virtually identical with the exception of a 90th anniversary ad card. As far as I can tell it's the same paper.

« Reply #781 on: May 22, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Just realized I've been neglecting this thread.  Rather than post everything I picked up in the last 2-3 months, here's the more interesting ones.

« Reply #782 on: May 25, 2014, 04:10:02 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Got these bad boys in the mail a couple days ago! Feels good to add some new decks to the collection.

« Reply #783 on: June 13, 2014, 11:13:57 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I thought I'd start contributing to this thread. Attached are a few things I picked up on eBay this week.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:58:15 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #784 on: June 14, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I haven't posted here in a while. Here are some of my recent acquisitions.

MAJOR props to Jackson Robinson. These are probably my new favorite decks. They're all absolutely stunning.

I also shop a ton at Deseret Industries. (Think Utah Goodwill.) Here are some of my recent highlights.

The Bee deck (while the color doesn't match the tuck) is pretty old. The printing on the cards isn't very crisp, and the ink is uneven.

(Sorry for the quality!)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:55:27 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #785 on: June 15, 2014, 12:37:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I also shop a ton at Deseret Industries. (Think Utah Goodwill.) Here are some of my recent highlights.

The Bee deck (while the color doesn't match the tuck) is pretty old. The printing on the cards isn't very crisp, and the ink is uneven.

(Sorry for the quality!)

The Bee deck is interesting...  The joker reads that it's "Consolidated Doughtery".  USPC acquired them in 1930 and let them operate independently until 1962.  The tuck box, however, isn't as old - it bears a manufacturer stamp and not a tax stamp, meaning it's no older than 1965.  The long flap on the lid would indicate it's an older tuck within the possible range of dates, so it's likely late 1960s-early 1970s.

You should look up the letter code for the Bee deck to get its age.  It definitely fits in our vintage category, A Cellar of Fine Vintages.

« Reply #786 on: June 15, 2014, 01:01:50 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

(Sorry for the quality!)

The Bee deck is interesting...  The joker reads that it's "Consolidated Doughtery".  USPC acquired them in 1930 and let them operate independently until 1962.  The tuck box, however, isn't as old - it bears a manufacturer stamp and not a tax stamp, meaning it's no older than 1965.  The long flap on the lid would indicate it's an older tuck within the possible range of dates, so it's likely late 1960s-early 1970s.

You should look up the letter code for the Bee deck to get its age.  It definitely fits in our vintage category, A Cellar of Fine Vintages.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

I'll look up the letter code and post it sometime tomorrow.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #787 on: June 15, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm convinced that the deck is older than the box.  When USPC "assimilated" Consolidated Doughtery, the guarantee jokers had the C-D name removed, replacing it with USPC's name.  That deck can't be younger than 1962, while the box it's in is at the least three years older, possibly as much as twenty years older or so - but not more than that, because of the company transitioning from long flaps to short ones on their tuck boxes and from stamps that had to be moistened to stickers for the deck seals.  Not positive on the flaps, but I know the sticker seals came in around the early 1980s.  I suspect the flaps were shortened before that.

« Reply #788 on: June 18, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
I feel so triumphant. Off ebay - I was the only bidder - Italian seller. Can you believe it?

« Reply #789 on: June 18, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I feel so triumphant. Off ebay - I was the only bidder - Italian seller. Can you believe it?

You got exceptionally lucky!  Great find.

« Reply #790 on: June 19, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Mana decks came in! They're absolutely amazing.

I'm convinced that the deck is older than the box.  When USPC "assimilated" Consolidated Doughtery, the guarantee jokers had the C-D name removed, replacing it with USPC's name.  That deck can't be younger than 1962, while the box it's in is at the least three years older, possibly as much as twenty years older or so - but not more than that, because of the company transitioning from long flaps to short ones on their tuck boxes and from stamps that had to be moistened to stickers for the deck seals.  Not positive on the flaps, but I know the sticker seals came in around the early 1980s.  I suspect the flaps were shortened before that.

I started a new topic for the deck here. It has much better pictures.

Thanks again! You helped me out a ton!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:56:42 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #791 on: June 19, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

« Reply #792 on: June 19, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Sparkz, what's that blue deck?

« Reply #793 on: June 20, 2014, 01:53:40 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

« Reply #794 on: June 20, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member

« Reply #795 on: June 20, 2014, 05:18:28 AM »

amadhatter53

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Wow, you guys have a lot of cool decks I'd like to add to my collection, which is over 500 decks and weighs north of 100 pounds (I found that out when I moved and had put all decks into one really sturdy box).  Some of them are crap, but then some are the great ones.. I just recently discovered getting decks from Kickstarter and while I've received 2 decks to date, I am waiting on 5 more, plus another 13 projects that haven't closed yet. I'm blowing all my money on cards.  I need a better habit. Maybe drugs would be cheaper.  :t11:

Since I love my cards so much I can an image that I update every time I get new decks.  I hope I don't have to reduce the resolution because the JPG is little big.

Hmm, link doesn't work.  Attachment will have to do.  Give it a look if you like.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:19:40 AM by amadhatter53 »

« Reply #796 on: June 21, 2014, 01:07:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wow, you guys have a lot of cool decks I'd like to add to my collection, which is over 500 decks and weighs north of 100 pounds (I found that out when I moved and had put all decks into one really sturdy box).  Some of them are crap, but then some are the great ones.. I just recently discovered getting decks from Kickstarter and while I've received 2 decks to date, I am waiting on 5 more, plus another 13 projects that haven't closed yet. I'm blowing all my money on cards.  I need a better habit. Maybe drugs would be cheaper.  :t11:

Since I love my cards so much I can an image that I update every time I get new decks.  I hope I don't have to reduce the resolution because the JPG is little big.

Hmm, link doesn't work.  Attachment will have to do.  Give it a look if you like.

Man that is one HUGE attachment!

Consider what I did for easy, sturdy storage.  Sports card collector shops have something called a "monster box" for baseball cards.  It's big - holds up to 5,000 loose sports memorabilia cards or trading card game cards, divided into five columns.  They're also the perfect size to fit most poker decks in their tuck boxes - 25 to a column, 125 to a box.  The boxes aren't expensive and are made of archive-safe, acid-free cardboard.  They also stack pretty well.  I currently have I think eleven of them, most of which are full, stacked one on top of another in a corner of my bedroom.  (My wife isn't thrilled, but she is understanding.)

Drugs aren't cheaper.  A few whiffs of a pack of cards with Magic Finish will convince you!  :))

Many of your decks would probably be a great fit for A Cellar of Fine Vintages, our board for decks at least twenty years old.  You should head on over there and show some of them off.  And while you're at it, check out the Introduce Yourself board and make a topic so we can give you a proper welcome!

« Reply #797 on: June 21, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Bunny with a Tool Belt

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13421114/the-bunny-with-a-toolbelt-multifunctional-card-dec?ref=nav_search

Oh! Thanks. I remember seeing this deck but I didn't know the tuck looked like that.

KD got ya covered, It's not for everyone, but I liked the intricacy of the back design. Just one of those "Different" parts of a collection  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:51:15 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #798 on: June 23, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Here is where I'm at right now, 26 decks shy of where I want to be. Upper left hand is Jackson's Sherlock. Middle box under my mixed up D&D V7 is an Oracle brick.
I am truly jealous of some of yous guys's collections but am Excited to be well on my way there.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #799 on: June 24, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
That's a very nice start, Justin.