Chat
« on: December 15, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Has anyone ever considered adding a Chat Client to the site? Would be very cool  8)

Re: Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Chat clients on forums murder activity on the forum itself, so no there won't be a chat anytime soon I don't think.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:25:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have to agree with Alex.  If everything gets said in chat, none of that information ends up posted in the topics.  Even if we saved chat logs, it would be a nightmare sorting through who said what to whom about which deck and then indexing all of that for people to find in searches.

Topics are better for organization, so when the next wave of n00bz come crashing on our shores, asking about a particular deck, they need only look in one place, not dozens.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 11:56:27 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Fair enough, it works very well on my Zippo board and takes nothing away from actual posts/posting, just thought I would mention it.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:23:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Fair enough, it works very well on my Zippo board and takes nothing away from actual posts/posting, just thought I would mention it.

That may have a lot to do with the demographics of the two boards.  The Zippo board probably skews a bit older and possibly has more women on it.  Here, we have as the majority males age 15-25, an age group that's most likely into texting and chatting more than posting - unless posting is the only option!  Additionally, the time zone differences can make getting enough people together at the same time difficult, since we have a fair number of members that aren't in the US, Canada or Mexico.  A fair number of our members are from various Asian and Pacific Island nations, and there's a good number of Europeans in there as well.  8pm Eastern time might seem like a great time to you, but it's 1am in the UK, 5pm in California, 9am in Japan (or is it 7am?  I'm not so sure), etc.

I will say that there's been a number of "get-togethers" set up on Tinychat where people were invited from here to talk about cards.  No reason you couldn't set one up on an active night.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:16:52 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I believe it is 10am in that scenario in Japan Don  :) A total of 14 hours between us. But I agree with everything you just said. It definitely makes it much tougher to have a chat feature. I do agree with the not having chat though. I personally can say that if I had the chat option, I probably wouldn't post as much as I do. The only way of saying anything on this is by posting, so it forces me to post lol

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:58:24 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

I'm sure sometimes it works, but every board I've owned/modded that implemented it saw a drop in activity. At some point I do want to implement a PM system that is instant, like Facebook chat, and live, but that's far out. I'll consider allowing inviting people to the conversation, that'd be really cool actually!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 01:46:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm sure sometimes it works, but every board I've owned/modded that implemented it saw a drop in activity. At some point I do want to implement a PM system that is instant, like Facebook chat, and live, but that's far out. I'll consider allowing inviting people to the conversation, that'd be really cool actually!

Tinychat already exists - why reinvent the wheel?  Just post that you're in Tinychat, provide a link and if the evening's active enough, you'll get people popping in to say hi.  It's been done before on this board already.  But again, considering the demographic of this board's present audience, I think it would suck the wind out of posts for that evening.