White Lions [Series A] Red

Author (Read 8189 times)

White Lions [Series A] Red
« on: October 18, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hi Everyone!

Please, I need to ask for your help concerning one deck in my collection. Some times ago, I bought a White Lions Series A Blue and a little later, I also wanted to have the White Lions Series A Red and I found a copy on eBay. But in fact there are apparently two different Series A "Red" versions issued with (exactly?) the same box. The first one would have the blue back and the second would be red. At the time of my purchase, I really wanted a White Lions Series A with the real red back so, my question is this: Do you know with these two pictures if my copy to the right is the real red version please?

Can you explain me the difference between these two decks? Especially why they put a deck with blue back in a red box? I really do not understand that!

Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:36:00 PM by Cryptocard27 »

Re: White Lions [Series A] Red
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
In the Series A White Lions decks, there were a total of just one standard deck (blue) and THREE decks issued as part of a "Rainbow Series".  The Rainbow Series were Series A Red, a blue deck (printed with UV-sensitive ink or has UV-sensitive paper; no one ever tested it that I know of, but the deck is still referred to as "UV Blue") and a purple deck, created by transitioning in mid-print run from blue to red, forcing red ink through the blue ink tanks when printing the backs.  The purple decks, as you can guess, were not made a solid shade through the print run - they're not even the same shade, in some cases, in the same deck.  It's a gradual transition from one color to the other.

The "Rainbow Series" decks are marked "Limited 1st Edition Rainbow" on the bottom of the tuck box, and I believe the tucks all show a red card on the box back.  For the Reds, they're "normal" (no distinctive marks beyond the special box), but for the UV Blues, there's a small black dot written in magic marker on the white border of the tuck box's seal.  I never owned a purple deck, so I couldn't tell you what the tuck's differences were.

If a WL box has a blue card on the back and doesn't say "Limited 1st Edition Rainbow" on the bottom, it's a "common" Series A Blue deck.

The purple decks were only available to people who purchased David Blaine's "Anything is Possible" bottle for the red deck - it was an unadvertised bonus, as the bottle was sold as having a single red deck but arrived in David's special two-deck boxes with the purple decks.  The UV Blue deck was only available to people who purchased David Blaine's first (and unarguably best) Variety Box.  I believe the VB was a series of only 250, while the AIP Bottle was in a series of 44 made for sale and 5 artist proofs.

The day I met David Blaine, I was fortunate enough to see an autographed uncut sheet of the purple deck.  I can only guess at how rare they are.  At the time, the only way to get an uncut of any of his decks was as a personal gift from him, and the purples were a short run to start with.  I don't think there were more than a hundred purple deck sheets made, with very few of them remaining uncut.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »

Msp062

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Great explanation so far.  I have owned the "purple" version in the past.  That version had a red box with a red card back on the back of the box.  The cellophane was removed and the card box was autographed by David Blaine using a blue marker.  The autograph is placed on the back of the card box overtop of the back design printed on the back of the card box.

I hope that helps.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I hope that helps.

Of course it does!

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thank you very much both for your answers!! I completely missed these infos at the time of my purchase concerning the "Rainbow Series" and the transition for the printing.

I am really happy to have finally the Red edition because personally, I do not understand too much the interest to possess an almost blue deck or with minimal differences of colours for the back, apart perhaps, a really good buy with a bargain price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_nSY4QXrQ&feature=youtu.be&t=307

Instead, I think that a really purple version would have been much more interesting even if this goes against the principle of the "mid-print run from blue to red", as you said. But I guess that for some collectors or admirers of David Blaine and/or his work with the cards, it is necessary to respect it. However, to be quite honest, I consider more the "UV Blue" and "Purple" versions as semi-limited editions, or a business method for selling more and at the higher price while limiting the losses, in my opinion.

And I can understand the high price (https://phillymagic.com/shop/WhiteLionsSeriesARainbow) as these "rainbow" decks are apparently extremely rare but for this amount, I prefer to keep my money for other decks, for example, the Red Gatorbacks: a very nice metallic color for the back and a special card which replaces the blank card of the green model. Real modifications instead of minor details, but again, just my opinion.. :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:42:10 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
People made a big deal about the purple and UV blue decks for two reasons:

1. All David Blaine decks are very popular with card collectors.
2. They were exceptionally rare.  At the time they came out, print runs under 5,000 were practically unheard of.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

2. They were exceptionally rare.  At the time they came out, print runs under 5,000 were practically unheard of.

These reasons are quite understandable, I completely agree with these and the exceptional rarity probably justifies their price. Nonetheless, the thing that really bothers me is to have simply put the rare and high quality "Rainbow Series" in the same boxes than the other red decks, much less expensive and more common!

At this high price, I think that it's a bit easy and they could have at least tried to create special boxes (like the limited box of the Skull and Bones deck by Conjuring Arts for example) with a different color, a unique design, or why not a special card on the back of the WL box to really differentiate them and increase the esthetic value, instead of just a dot, a marker signature or the mention "Limited 1st Edition Rainbow" on the bottom to avoid confusion. It is really because of that, that I think these versions are a bit far-fetched but otherwise, the idea or sales technique is good and if some collectors buy, it was worthwhile.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:16:46 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

These reasons are quite understandable, I completely agree with these and the exceptional rarity probably justifies their price. Nonetheless, the thing that really bothers me is to have simply put the rare and high quality "Rainbow Series" in the same boxes than the other red decks, much less expensive and more common!

At this high price, I think that it's a bit easy and they could have at least tried to create special boxes (like the limited box of the Skull and Bones deck by Conjuring Arts for example) with a different color, a unique design, or why not a special card on the back of the WL box to really differentiate them and increase the esthetic value, instead of just a dot, a marker signature or the mention "Limited 1st Edition Rainbow" on the bottom to avoid confusion. It is really because of that, that I think these versions are a bit far-fetched but otherwise, the idea or sales technique is good and if some collectors buy, it was worthwhile.

Actually, the red ones were rare as well.  I don't recall the size of the print run, if that info was ever released, but it was considerably smaller than the blue Series A.  It wasn't until Series B that the red deck was made in large numbers, as was Series B blue and "Black Label" - the only run of the black deck and technically not part of either series, but released after series B blue and red.

Of the three decks printed as "Rainbow Editions," the reds were the most common, relatively speaking only.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:54:16 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
do anyone knows how much the purple deck will cost?? Estimation maybe?  :-\
Back for more

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 03:34:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
do anyone knows how much the purple deck will cost?? Estimation maybe?  :-\

In the low three figures.  Easily.  It's pretty rare and doesn't often come up for sale.  Even when new, you had to spend in the low three figures to acquire it as part of a set with the Series A Red and the AIP Bottle of the Series A Red.  It wasn't even announced as part of that set - people didn't learn of it until the deliveries from Blaine started arriving in their mailboxes.

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
In the low three figures.  Easily.  It's pretty rare and doesn't often come up for sale.  Even when new, you had to spend in the low three figures to acquire it as part of a set with the Series A Red and the AIP Bottle of the Series A Red.  It wasn't even announced as part of that set - people didn't learn of it until the deliveries from Blaine started arriving in their mailboxes.

So if there are only 44 released AIP bottles, that means only 44 or even less purple rainbow deck in circulations... can we say that this is rarer then the Microsoft "Create Magic" deck?

The "Rainbow Series" decks are marked "Limited 1st Edition Rainbow" on the bottom of the tuck box, and I believe the tucks all show a red card on the box back.  For the Reds, they're "normal" (no distinctive marks beyond the special box), but for the UV Blues, there's a small black dot written in magic marker on the white border of the tuck box's seal.  I never owned a purple deck, so I couldn't tell you what the tuck's differences were.

regarding the Red Rainbow and UV Blue Rainbow.. I came across a post on UC
https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8349

It appears that even the UV Blue Rainbow deck can come in red box without any marking..
Back for more

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

So if there are only 44 released AIP bottles, that means only 44 or even less purple rainbow deck in circulations... can we say that this is rarer then the Microsoft "Create Magic" deck?

regarding the Red Rainbow and UV Blue Rainbow.. I came across a post on UC

It appears that even the UV Blue Rainbow deck can come in red box without any marking..

Yes, I would definitely say that there were fewer purple decks made than Microsoft Intern "Create Magic" decks - that's kind of a no-brainer, since there are 2,015 known Create Magic decks made (probably slightly more to account for damaged decks in the printing process), while the purple exists in an unknown but small quantity, created when USPC forced red ink through the blue ink containers while printing Series A Blue, allowing Blaine to make Series A Red without having to even stop the printing press.  It's worth noting that to date only two decks have been created using this method, this and the "blood red" version of the Bicycle Professional Skull and Bones Back by CARC.  I'm honestly not certain how many AIP Series A Red bottles were made and distributed - I only remember the number made available was terribly small.  Someone somewhere on this forum probably made a true statement about the number available at the time they were on sale; I simply can't remember that number myself.

Another thing worth noting: the Create Magic decks were mostly given away to MS interns in 2014 as an enticement to get them to return for 2015.  Who knows what condition most of them are in, seeing as how they were given to non-collectors.  It's comparable to Action Comics #1 - about two hundred thousand were printed, but only an estimated fifty to one hundred survived being handled by adolescent boys and their disapproving parents, who all treated them as disposable ephemera.  As of 2011, only six were known to exist in a condition of CGC-rated "very good" (>4.0); of those, the highest is rated "very good/near mint" (9.0) and sold in 2014 at auction for US$3,200,000.  I'd say Action Comics #1 is a little more culturally significant, but the general idea is that many were made, pretty much none of them at the time and for some years later were considered worth much more than the cover price, few survived and those survivors are quite rare and valuable today.

By contrast, the Purple "Rainbow" Series A White Lions decks were rare to start with and pretty close to all of them will remain in their original, near-mint condition.  We know how many were sold on Blaine's website as part of the set, but we don't know and never will know how many were actually created and, of those, how many Blaine held and how many were given away to his acquaintances and associates.  Some were never even made into decks in the first place - I've personally seen uncut sheets of the purple deck at Blaine's offices, autographed by him, awaiting distribution to a select few people.

It's difficult to say in the end which of the two will be the more valuable, more rare deck.  It's even possible that one can be more rare while the other can be more valuable - it's the way of the marketplace, sometimes.

As far as the markings on the boxes of the UV Blue decks, unless the words came from Blaine himself or one of his employees acting under his imprimatur, no one can speak to the veracity of any of the statements made in that topic.  It's a case of one person's word against another.  It's entirely possible what was said is true - but I can't declare the validity of it one way or the other.  I know only what I know from personal experience.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »

52whitelions

Don, In the case of his most rare deck, could you argue that his full 52 gaff deck White Lions Stealth Cards  (not to be confused with the initial 37 gaff card release) is his more rare then the Purple or Create Magic? David himself has said that not only has the full 52 gaff stealth cards never been released but has only
been handed out to friends by himself, personally. Does this not make the white lions full 52 gaff deck his most rare deck to date? 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:36:48 PM by 52whitelions »
- Priestley

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Don, In the case of his most rare deck, could you argue that his full 52 gaff deck White Lions Stealth Cards  (not to be confused with the initial 37 gaff card release) is his more rare then the Purple or Create Magic? David himself has said that not only has the full 52 gaff stealth cards never been released but has only
been handed out to friends by himself, personally. Does this not make the white lions full 52 gaff deck his most rare deck to date? 

well that Stealth Deck was never actually released so I don't think it can be compared to the Purple or Create Magic deck. Purple deck were released when DB was selling the AIP bottle, and Create Magic was released with the Variety Box as well as Bonus Gift from CARC when you spend $500. While the Stealth as you said, is only given to friends personally.

In terms of rarity yes the Stealth Deck is rarer, but it shouldn't be compared to the other 2. Thats my opinion only.  :P
Back for more

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 04:26:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

well that Stealth Deck was never actually released so I don't think it can be compared to the Purple or Create Magic deck. Purple deck were released when DB was selling the AIP bottle, and Create Magic was released with the Variety Box as well as Bonus Gift from CARC when you spend $500. While the Stealth as you said, is only given to friends personally.

In terms of rarity yes the Stealth Deck is rarer, but it shouldn't be compared to the other 2. Thats my opinion only.  :P

It's impossible to know how rare the 52-card Stealth Cards decks are.  Sure, David only gave them to his friends and acquaintances - but how many did he give away?  Five?  Fifty?  Five hundred?  Five thousand?  And how many were actually made but not given away, just kept and used by him?  Would those count?  They were all part of the very same print run - the ones he kept, the ones he gave away and the ones he stripped some cards out of and distributed with his leather-wrapped deck clips.

The sole fact that can be offered about its rarity is that it was never made available for sale, but that alone doesn't tell someone just how rare it really is.  It's probably a lot less common than the White Lions releases that were more widely available (and even that is a relative term in this context, since no Blaine decks are considered even remotely common in the grand scheme of things) - but that's the most one can say about it in terms of actual numbers of decks in existence.

If I was forced to guess, I would dare to say that the purple "rainbow" decks might be the rarest ones of all of them, possibly tied with or very close in numbers to the UV blue decks.  Here's my reasoning for this.

USPC has a minimum print run size.  At the time, it was 5,000.  Today, it's as little as 1,000 - but that's still not little, compared to the amount of some of these decks that Blaine has made available for sale.

The Stealth Cards decks had to be a special print run - and USPC probably had Blaine buy a print run of at least the size of today's minimum, which is one thousand.  Anything less would have been very expensive, maybe even too expensive to a magician who's planning to use them as a disposable commodity, whether he gives them as gifts or performs with them.

The purple and UV blue cards, however, are each a special case - a SUBSET of an existing print run.  How were they made?  The UV blue cards are different from the standard Series A Blue only in the stock, which is a UV-reactive stock that glows under a black light.  They could easily have been tacked on to the existing print run by just adding a given number of UV-sensitive sheets of stock to the top of the stack before feeding the paper through the printer.  The purple cards were made by forcing red ink through the blue ink feeders that fed ink to the plates for the card backs - this was done mid-run, without stopping the run, and likely resulted in perhaps 100 or 200 distinctly purple decks (in varying shades of purple) before the transition completed from blue to red.

In each case, you're talking about only a PORTION of a print run rather than a full print run.  So I'm thinking for the purples and the UV blues, there's probably not more than a few hundred of each at best that were made - and I know that some were pulled out as uncut sheets, because I saw with my own eyes a short stack of purple uncuts in Blaine's office when I met him, so the total number of decks has to be just a bit less than the total number of sheets printed.  For the Stealth Cards, they had to be a totally different print run with separate plates, so at the lowest there's probably at least a thousand packs - granted, it's likely that few made it outside of his offices in hands other than his own beyond the few partial decks that were sold as sets with his deck clips, but the exact amount he gave away is unknown and it doesn't change the total number that were PRINTED, which if you get down to brass tacks is the true determination of how rare a deck really is or isn't.  Even adding in the fact that some purple and UV blue decks were likely also given away, they weren't manufactured as an entirely separate print run while the Stealth Cards had to be.

My specific reasoning for the purple being more rare than the UV blue is this: while it might be possible that hundreds or even thousands of UV-sensitive sheets could have been added to the White Lions Series A print run to make the UV Blue decks, the transition between blue and red inks for printing the backs would only have taken a limited amount of time over a limited number of sheets and that it, no more - you couldn't simply "add" more purple decks to the run; once the transition was over, it was over, done with, no more.  Of all the possible outcomes, there are more outcomes that result in a greater number of UV blue decks than there are that result in a greater number of purple decks.

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 07:05:18 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Don, you really have a good point of view  8)

just curious though did you know which deck of the Rainbow series was included in the last variety box with Create Magic deck?
Back for more

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

just curious though did you know which deck of the Rainbow series was included in the last variety box with Create Magic deck?

To the best of my limited knowledge, the only variety boxes that featured Create Magic decks from Blaine's Microsoft interns performance in 2014 were created by the Conjuring Arts Research Center - Blaine is on the board and CARC owns Expert PCC, the deck's manufacturer.  As far as I know, there were no other Blaine decks in that variety box.  All of the rainbow decks were from White Lions Series A, while both White Lions series were long done by the time the Create Magic deck came out - Blaine used Create Magic in his performance at the end of the summer of 2014 and it didn't start directly reaching the public (outside of eBay sales by Microsoft interns) until some months later.  If Blaine included them in a new variety box he released, this is the first I'm hearing of it (or I'm getting older faster than I thought and just forgot)...  I've never seen Blaine release the Create Magic deck anywhere, only CARC.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:26:58 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

To the best of my limited knowledge, the only variety boxes that featured Create Magic decks from Blaine's Microsoft interns performance in 2014 were created by the Conjuring Arts Research Center - Blaine is on the board and CARC owns Expert PCC, the deck's manufacturer.  As far as I know, there were no other Blaine decks in that variety box.  All of the rainbow decks were from White Lions Series A, while both White Lions series were long done by the time the Create Magic deck came out - Blaine used Create Magic in his performance at the end of the summer of 2014 and it didn't start directly reaching the public (outside of eBay sales by Microsoft interns) until some months later.  If Blaine included them in a new variety box he released, this is the first I'm hearing of it (or I'm getting older faster than I thought and just forgot)...  I've never seen Blaine release the Create Magic deck anywhere, only CARC.

Actually there were 16 variety box released on black friday together with the first Black Lion Series. I e-mail David Blaine website about the Series A included in that veriety box but I didnt get response to which Raibow series was included in that Variety box.
Back for more

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 02:48:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Actually there were 16 variety box released on black friday together with the first Black Lion Series. I e-mail David Blaine website about the Series A included in that veriety box but I didnt get response to which Raibow series was included in that Variety box.

This is news to me.  Only 16?  That's an unusually small number, even for Blaine.  I tried searching for info about it through Google and on United Cardists but got no hits.  I don't suppose you have more info about the release?

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This is news to me.  Only 16?  That's an unusually small number, even for Blaine.  I tried searching for info about it through Google and on United Cardists but got no hits.  I don't suppose you have more info about the release?

There is a member of UC who bought 5 sets of the 16 Signature Collectors Boxes.
On the first post he explained that the Rainbow series A included in the box is UV. Apart from that yes there is no other sources can confirm this.
Back for more

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »

52whitelions

Yeah, I remember seeing that on black friday, and before I could even mull over getting one of the 16, they were sold out.   Talk about a limited release...
- Priestley

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 05:36:12 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
yeah same here.. I was looking for it on eBay and saw 1 sold for $699 after that I gave up...
Back for more

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 06:38:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

There is a member of UC who bought 5 sets of the 16 Signature Collectors Boxes.
On the first post he explained that the Rainbow series A included in the box is UV. Apart from that yes there is no other sources can confirm this.

I remember them now - I posted about them on another Blaine-related topic.  Must've just forgotten about them - terrifically expensive and disappeared too quickly.  How one guy managed snagging five of them is beyond ridiculous - why bother releasing a limited product if they end up in even fewer hands than intended?

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 01:00:36 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

pardon me for digging this topic up, but as i read in here, only 44 AIP bottles were sold, aren't they? so why on ebay now have this one with number up to 100  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201983503626?rmvSB=true

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 06:49:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
pardon me for digging this topic up, but as i read in here, only 44 AIP bottles were sold, aren't they? so why on ebay now have this one with number up to 100  :-\

Just because only 44 were SOLD, doesn't mean only 44 were MADE...  David Blaine does have some things created to give away to friends, fans, etc.  I saw uncut sheets of his purple White Lions deck in his office and he gave me a signed uncut of his blue Split Spades Lions (he's never sold those yet).  I also have a handful of White Lions gaffs that weren't part of the "Stealth Deck" release sold with his leather-covered deck clips - these were printed for his own personal use and I traded with another collector to get them (that person got them from Blaine himself).

So, what was it going for on eBay, anyway?