You are Here:
Interesting Bee joker variant found at CPCC convention

Author (Read 894 times)

Interesting Bee joker variant found at CPCC convention
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »

andrew daugherty

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Interesting to me anyway. Found standard blue Bees in a Great Mogul box. 1972. I had not seen this plain "Extra Joker" until now.

Given that Great Mogul boxes usually contain USPC seconds or decks for export -- would either of these be the reason for the plain extra joker? It means this deck carries no guarantee card. And it appears just fine -- no obvious defects, etc.

One color printing makes this card cheaper to produce -- and appear as an afterthought compared to the colored joker. 

Found the deck at the Chicago Playing Card Collectors convention Thursday. Tons of free singles to swap, and you'll find rarer singles and interesting decks for sale. (CPCC member here).

Holiday Inn North Shore, Skokie, Illinois through Saturday evening. 

Chris Turner
aka Andrew
52 Plus Joker and CPCC member for 20+ years.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:30:23 AM by andrew daugherty »

Re: Interesting Bee joker variant found at CPCC convention
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 01:48:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Interesting to me anyway. Found standard blue Bees in a Great Mogul box. 1972. I had not seen this plain "Extra Joker" until now.

Given that Great Mogul boxes usually contain USPC seconds or decks for export -- would either of these be the reason for the plain extra joker? It means this deck carries no guarantee card. And it appears just fine -- no obvious defects, etc.

One color printing makes this card cheaper to produce -- and appear as an afterthought compared to the colored joker. 

Found the deck at the Chicago Playing Card Collectors convention Thursday. Tons of free singles to swap, and you'll find rarer singles and interesting decks for sale. (CPCC member here).

Holiday Inn North Shore, Skokie, Illinois through Saturday evening. 

Chris Turner
aka Andrew
52 Plus Joker and CPCC member for 20+ years.

That's pretty rare - I've not seen it, but that doesn't say a lot, considering I'm a relative neophyte in terms of "seniority" and how much vintage I'd had access to.

I did see an interesting variant recently, among some Bee decks that were donated to me for use at the hospital.  They had no guarantee joker - instead, they had a "large star" joker in color, a "small star" joker in color and one of the ad cards had the guarantee printed on it.  I don't think they were quite old enough to be vintage, but they were old enough to be made in Cincinnati.  The seal was a sticker, so certainly not much older than the '80s or '90s.  I'll take pictures if I still have any left that I haven't given away to the kids.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:50:52 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/