You are Here:
Sterling Card Co. Hochman U37

Author (Read 3091 times)

Sterling Card Co. Hochman U37
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Some very interesting research by Cryptocard27 has unearthed a few facts that shed some light on this deck - a deck which has been a mystery as to its manufacturer/publisher. All we knew about the Sterling Card Company was that its address was 24 Vesey Street, NYC. CC27 has determined that American Phototype Company ["APC"] were at that address in the 1870's, likely at the time the deck was produced circa 1876. From the APC name, we might deduce that they were printers and likely the manufacturers of the Sterling deck. What we don't yet know is the relationship between APC and Sterling. Was it a trade name APC used? a subsidiary? just a customer? A final possibility is that by 1876 perhaps Sterling had purchased the business of APC and decided to try its hand at playing card manufacturing.

It should be noted that the Sterling deck is the only one known to have been produced by the company and only two copies are know to still exist. It is a fascinating deck in that the courts are quite different from any other courts we have seen and the indices were of a type only seen in cards manufactured by Eagle Card Co. [refer Hochman L5]. I have pictured the Spade Ace and Heart King below.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:20:27 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: Sterling Card Co. Hochman U37
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »

TumDTeeSudLeaw

• Newcomer

I want to have to part with you.How can I do?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:18 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I never seen this before.  I always like to see interesting ways indices are used or have been used. 

Maybe,

K
o
H

Would have worked better. 

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I never seen this before.  I always like to see interesting ways indices are used or have been used. 

Maybe,

K
o
H

Would have worked better.

Not really, no.  The lower-case "o" would be on every single card in the exact same place, providing no additional clarity as to the card's identity and making the index longer than it absolutely needs to be.  The "o" would be as useful as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:42:49 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:22:32 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Some very interesting research by Cryptocard27 has unearthed a few facts that shed some light on this deck - a deck which has been a mystery as to its manufacturer/publisher. All we knew about the Sterling Card Company was that its address was 24 Vesey Street, NYC. CC27 has determined that American Phototype Company ["APC"] were at that address in the 1870's, likely at the time the deck was produced circa 1876. From the APC name, we might deduce that they were printers and likely the manufacturers of the Sterling deck. What we don't yet know is the relationship between APC and Sterling. Was it a trade name APC used? a subsidiary? just a customer? A final possibility is that by 1876 perhaps Sterling had purchased the business of APC and decided to try its hand at playing card manufacturing.

It should be noted that the Sterling deck is the only one known to have been produced by the company and only two copies are know to still exist. It is a fascinating deck in that the courts are quite different from any other courts we have seen and the indices were of a type only seen in cards manufactured by Eagle Card Co. [refer Hochman L5]. I have pictured the Spade Ace and Heart King below.

Thank you for the quote and the very clear summary concerning this mysterious and really magnificent deck!
Do you know who possesses the second copy? Would it be a museum or a private collector?

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Thank you for the quote and the very clear summary concerning this mysterious and really magnificent deck!
Do you know who possesses the second copy? Would it be a museum or a private collector?
Second copy was seen at USPC Museum.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Second copy was seen at USPC Museum.

And just in case, do you know what looks like the box of this deck please?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:41:11 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:38:22 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I can post a picture of the box later in the week.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I can post a picture of the box later in the week.

Ok, thank you very much ;)

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Voila - la boite!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member