You are Here:
ANOTHER REASON TO ATTEND THE 52 PLUS JOKER CONVENTION IN CHARLESTON

Author (Read 2440 times)

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

52+J Convention – October 15th through the 18th, 2014: 
One of our members will be discussing and displaying a recent acquisition – an original deck (that’s right, not a facsimile) by Jost Amman, created in Nuremberg in 1588.  No ordinary deck of playing cards, Amman’s CHARTA LUSORIA pack is world famous, even outside the realm of card collecting.  As our member says, it is an amazing work of art, a trove of mysteries, and a compelling artifact of secular life at the height of the German Renaissance.  Considered a masterpiece of the woodcutter’s art, this particular deck has been lovingly hand-illuminated with brilliant colors and real gold, in the manner of early medieval manuscripts.  Our member has done some interesting original research on the deck, which he promises to share with us.  For example, did you know that most playing card reference books cite this deck as coming from Amman’s 1568 BOOK OF TRADES (“Das Standebuch”) – and that this is simply wrong?  It turns out that CHARTA LUSORIA (which means playing or pleasure cards) is a completely different work from two decades later.  Here are pictures of a couple of cards to whet your appetite, but if you want to see the rest of the deck, COME TO CHARLESTON – MEET WITH YOUR FELLOW COLLECTORS IN PERSON.  Internet, shminternet, there really is no substitute for these in-person meetings.  Especially in this case, if you would care to view one of the most fascinating and imaginative expressions of the Renaissance mind you could ever hope to run across.”
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: ANOTHER REASON TO ATTEND THE 52 PLUS JOKER CONVENTION IN CHARLESTON
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Tom, I think you mispelled shminternet. It's spelled schminternet according to the Lubopedia. Can't wait to see this masterpiece and all my friends!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:09 AM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
A fantastic opportunity, in all our years of collecting playing cards to be able to see such a thing - Can't wait
Judy Dawson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Interesting deck.     http://diglib.hab.de/drucke/uh-20/start.htm      He wanted you to draw out his cards from his book.  First imprecations, I thought the the first suit was mushrooms, but later I found out it's ink pads.  So we have association  with the next suit that is books.  ink pads and books go together sorta like our heart and diamonds today.  Then he has cups.  My theory is they are sprits.  Makes my wonder if people had sprits in the region the cards were made because it has an association to the forth suit wine.  It has a structure of 13x4 for 52 cards with 2 other cards.  Did this guy think of jokers back then!  Nope doesn't look that way.  These last 2 cards are associated with the wine suit.  Check out the vines....  So whatever game they were playing the last 2 cards in the wine suit were probably trump cards. 

That is one hell of a back for 1588.  Love the corner badge shields...  Anyone have a link for the translations above and below the cards?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:27:30 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@52jokerplus - These cards get more interesting.   I see that is an under of cups and the other card is a 4 of books.  That is defiantly not a ober of cups.  Back then it was all about swords, polo sticks, coins, and cups OH My!  I'm seeing ink pads, books, cups, and wine.  What were the first different suits after the Tarot cards?.....  The tens have a roman "X" and they are ladies.  Very different I would say in 1588....

Where is the "2" in this card?  Could this be a mistake? 

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:59:19 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I believe that is actually the Ace of Cups.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

Nope.  The card above is the (2 of wine vessels)  I say wine vessel because I don't know what else to call it.  Can't call it cups obviously.  I can't figure out why they didn't put the rank of "2" in the card.  I'm looking for a hidden meaning or something.  These cards were made by wood blocking.  So I can't imagine this could be a mistake.  It's like not putting the indices for a card. 

This is the Ace of Cups.  It's your standard huge suit for the Ace which is a huge ass cup. lol

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:29:26 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Nope.  The card above is the (2 of wine vessels)  I say wine vessel because I don't know what else to call it.  Can't call it cups obviously.  I can't figure out why they didn't put the rank of "2" in the card.  I'm looking for a hidden meaning or something.  These cards were made by wood blocking.  So I can't imagine this could be a mistake.  It's like not putting the indices for a card. 

This is the Ace of Cups.  It's your standard huge suit for the Ace which is a huge ass cup. lol
Ooops - looks like it would take a whole team to empty that cup of vino. You are quite right - it is a two and the suit sign is referred to as Wine Vessels - at least some authors have used that term.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:13:24 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Interesting how things repeat themselves.  If only in one card.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/1457073457838971/1570196816526634/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:15:12 AM by sprouts1115 »