You are Here:
1870-ish Chas Goodall Tom Thumb square no indices deck

Author (Read 1000 times)

1870-ish Chas Goodall Tom Thumb square no indices deck
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:53:59 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
As I have noted before, I have sharp eyes. I saw a Tom Thumb deck on eBay the other day about two weeks ago and thought something just was really unusual. Very few pix, but what I could see was odd. When I got it I was astonished to find it is a deck of square plain pink backs from the 1865-1885 period because the AoS was changed in 1885 .The deck is in nearly pristine condition for its age. Pix attached:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:11:38 PM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

Re: 1870-ish Chas Goodall Tom Thumb square no indices deck
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:39:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I just wish he created the pictures with something else in the frame to provide scale, like a quarter or a ruler...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:19:29 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I just wish he created the pictures with something else in the frame to provide scale, like a quarter or a ruler...
It's 5 in the morning and I don't want to wake the wife, don't have any change, but here it is sitting on an old Grimaud standard poker deck. As I thought I said, ¼ normal size, or 1¼" × 1¾*, or 1,8 × 2,7 cm for the metric folks. I( think that's what I remember in cm)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:21:23 AM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
It's 5 in the morning and I don't want to wake the wife, don't have any change, but here it is sitting on an old Grimaud standard poker deck. As I thought I said, ¼ normal size, or 1¼" × 1¾*, or 1,8 × 2,7 cm for the metric folks. I( think that's what I remember in cm)
Nice find - don't see my thumb very often.
Approx 2 1/2 cm per inch - so 1.25 inches = 3.1cm by 1.75 = 4.1- all approximate
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:52:40 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I'm starting to think this Galaxy S4 "smartphone" has some 'smarts' built into the "Which Side is Up?" logic that nothing else (or many things) don't understand.  These pictures ALL display correctly and upright on the phone, my laptop and posted elsewhere.  Pretty strange, and if you enlarge some of them the direction they are shown changes.  That's weird!

I suppose I could download them and "fix" them, but it's clear enough upside-down as it would be right-side up (or sideways, for goodness sake).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:53:05 AM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I'm starting to think this Galaxy S4 "smartphone" has some 'smarts' built into the "Which Side is Up?" logic that nothing else (or many things) don't understand.  These pictures ALL display correctly and upright on the phone, my laptop and posted elsewhere.  Pretty strange, and if you enlarge some of them the direction they are shown changes.  That's weird!

I suppose I could download them and "fix" them, but it's clear enough upside-down as it would be right-side up (or sideways, for goodness sake).
LOL - I didn't even notice they weren't rightside up!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club