You are Here:
Army and Navy Decks by USPC - 1981 Reproduction

Author (Read 3541 times)

Army and Navy Decks by USPC - 1981 Reproduction
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
An extremely well done repro [Hochman US3b/4b] of the original Army & Navy decks listed in Hochman as US3 & US4, by USPC for their 100th Anniversary in 1981. Note the outside slipcase appears up-side-down - not an error as the originals were also done that way. The back design [one way] was one used for the Army and Navy decks originally. The stock is very similar to the originals. The special presentation case is very well done in red and blue [Army and Navy] with silver embossed design of early Russell & Morgan logo. Grab this one if you see it.

In my next post under this topic I'll put pictures of the originals for comparison.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:05:28 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: Army and Navy Decks by USPC - 1981 Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Here are the original Army and Navy decks from 1881. I didn't show the boxes as they are the same, for all intents and purposes, with the ones shown in the first post. The Army & Navy first editions are extremely rare. Hochman US3a and US4a are, relatively, much more common - leading one to the conclusion that they did only a small run before the redesign.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:18 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
jfsskjfoier Sorry the drool piled up on my computer. Those are so beautiful.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm quickly becoming more attracted to the vintage style of cards. These are awesome, both the original and the repros.

Tom, what would the repros be worth today? Say, as you pictured them above?

I think the more I look at vintage cards, I may decide to concentrate on cars & motorcycle based decks. At least I could narrow down my focus.  :)
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I'm quickly becoming more attracted to the vintage style of cards. These are awesome, both the original and the repros.

I think the more I look at vintage cards, I may decide to concentrate on cars & motorcycle based decks. At least I could narrow down my focus.  :)

In another post I had said $60-$80. I have been corrected by HeartQ who says $35-50. My advice - if you see one, they are almost always mint, in that range, buy it!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
jfsskjfoier Sorry the drool piled up on my computer. Those are so beautiful.

Thanks for my best laugh this weekend!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

In another post I had said $60-$80. I have been corrected by HeartQ who says $35-50. My advice - if you see one, they are almost always mint, in that range, buy it!

Had I only seen these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Russell-Morgan-Co-ARMY-NAVY-Playing-Cards-100th-Anniversary-Set-Reproduction-/231088750127

The hunt is on. (So much for my specializing in cars and motorcycles! LOL)

Thanks!
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
Keep an eye out as this set is probably one of the best playing card bargains out there.  They usually sell around $40-
45 and are well worth that price.  Unfortunately we have no idea how many were made but we figure nobody would play with them in spite of the quality so probably most of them are still mint.  The box is fine leather or leatherette and is lined in a satiny material.  Tom and I collect antique cards but this fabulous package is an integral part of out collection.
Judy Dawson

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks for the heads up on this deck. I really like the look and will be searching for this pair.

I do see an original set out there, but they are far beyond my meager hobby resources  :) 

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
I picked up 4 of these about 6 months ago from someone that clearly didn't know what they had, paid $60 for the lot.  Nice decks!  As I understand it these were never sold to the public, but only given away to their best customers, correct?  (and sorry - I haven't had time to fully read the thread)
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
That was a great find Mike!

I haven't heard about whether or not they were sold to the public. Have to wait for a more knowledgeable member for that info. I'm also interested to hear that answer.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
That was a great find Mike!

I haven't heard about whether or not they were sold to the public. Have to wait for a more knowledgeable member for that info. I'm also interested to hear that answer.
Here's what we know. They were made for the 100th anniversary of the founding of the company by Messrs Russell and Morgan. Likely there was a banquet and they were given to guests in 1981. Clearly they made more than they needed because they sold them in the USPC Museum store for many years - at least well into the 1990's. Let's guess they made 1000-2000 sets. You still see them from time to time on eBay.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thanks, Tom!  I'm betting the person that had them likely bought them in the USPC Museum Store, then.  I'll have to look back in my notes and see where they were shipped from (yep, I keep notes about everything).  I'm going on a fishing expedition in my walk-in vault this weekend looking for a couple of things that I can't seem to put my fingers on this morning, and those are one of the items I know is in there but probably misfiled.  Sounds like a good time for me to revamp my filing system as I've added a lot of decks over the past 6 months!  Someone here expressed interest in getting one of them from me, and I wasn't planning on selling any, but I'll always dig until I find something for a fellow collector.  Just a note: that 1 set is all I'm willing to part with at this time.
> Mike <

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 10:39:29 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Keep an eye out as this set is probably one of the best playing card bargains out there.  They usually sell around $40-
45 and are well worth that price.  Unfortunately we have no idea how many were made but we figure nobody would play with them in spite of the quality so probably most of them are still mint.  The box is fine leather or leatherette and is lined in a satiny material.  Tom and I collect antique cards but this fabulous package is an integral part of out collection.
It's a very nice set, Judy!  I remember that they (decks) are wrapped in an onion-skin type thin paper as opposed to cellophane, and there's a "100th Anniversary" card and fold-over note in the box as well.
> Mike <

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
 :D Woohoo!  :D

I like these even better in person!

My set:

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

My set:
Well done JWATS
Tom Dawson

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 02:00:58 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

My set:
I told you, like somebody picked them out of the box before they were placed on the banquet table in '81. Mint +

I'm always fair, since Tom's playing cards bible verifies that they're worth 50 bucks each just the decks, you scored! (and that was roughly ten years ago, now)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:08:05 PM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 02:59:35 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

I told you, like somebody picked them out of the box before they were placed on the banquet table in '81. Mint +

I'm always fair, since Tom's playing cards bible verifies that they're worth 50 bucks each just the decks, you scored! (and that was roughly ten years ago, now)

You weren't kidding! They do look just like that! I usually don't get the deal like that. Thanks again for the deal!

James

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

You weren't kidding! They do look just like that! I usually don't get the deal like that. Thanks again for the deal!

James
Always my pleasure when I can share and further our hobby obsession addiction.
> Mike <