You are Here:
Ask the Experts at 52 Plus Joker

Author (Read 124569 times)

Re: Ask the Experts at 52 Plus Joker
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
These Circus decks are very scarce in mint or near mint condition - and will sell for c$1000.

Can you give me an equivalent word to scarce please Tom ? Scarce is just rare or rather extremely rare ?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:39:12 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 07:01:45 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
These Circus decks are very scarce in mint or near mint condition - and will sell for c$1000.

Can you give me an equivalent word to scarce please Tom ? Scarce is just rare or rather extremely rare ?
Very hard to find; in short supply; rare
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Thank you very much Tom!
Just for another example, can we say that the Tourists #155 is a scarce deck ?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:07:59 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Thank you very much Tom!
Hochman US9 is scarce - US9a, b, c not quite as scarce
Tom Dawson

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Thank you very much Tom!
Hochman US9 is scarce - US9a, b, c not quite as scarce

I think I understand the distinction but for the different versions of the Tourists deck, you say that the Hochman US9 is scarce only because of the number of prints or also due to its age and because it's the first version please ?

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Scarce because you hardly ever see one
Tom Dawson

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 06:35:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I think I understand the distinction but for the different versions of the Tourists deck, you say that the Hochman US9 is scarce only because of the number of prints or also due to its age and because it's the first version please ?

Quantities printed on older decks aren't always available - I'd say the public discovers them infrequently to rarely, in fact.  Scarcity it just that, they are few known to exist.  A few thousand or a few hundred thousand might have been printed, but today, for a variety of reasons, few are left.  There are almost countless scenarios explaining why a vintage or antique deck would be rare - or common.

For the Circus deck, it's rare because the deck was aimed at a children's audience, perhaps even sold at actual circuses.  Just as few of their comic books, board games and toys survive, so, too, do few of their decks of playing cards.

For something like the War Series, they didn't get printed until the year the war ended, so someone at USPC made an executive decision and ceased production on the decks, giving them an unusually short print run.  The decks were being promoted to be played with, so I'm thinking some decent amount of that production run was lost to wear and tear.  Thus, another rare deck (four decks, actually, not counting color variants).

Certain souvenir decks aimed at adults (like the Brown Derby deck) would have two factors determining surviving quantity - they'd be scarce because there were few places where they could have been purchased in the first place, thus probably had limited distribution, but the decks that were distributed would have had a better chance of survival because souvenirs of that type are often left unused, either displayed on a shelf or dropped into a drawer and buried in the back of it.

Then there's the Bicycle Rider Back - undoubtedly the most common Bicycle back printed, probably in continuous production since it was first introduced in 1893.  Sure, many got used up, but so many more were made that they're all over the place.  Plenty of old decks still exist.

You can, see, though, there are factors that come into play besides the size of the print run, a number that's often lost to antiquity.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 02:04:32 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Scarce because you hardly ever see one

Thank you for the additional info Tom, I understand better the purest sense of this word..
Now in any case, I am sure of the scarcity contained in this link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/400740343543?clk_rvr_id=666505836561
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:07:29 AM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2014, 02:13:55 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Quantities printed on older decks aren't always available - I'd say the public discovers them infrequently to rarely, in fact.  Scarcity it just that, they are few known to exist.  A few thousand or a few hundred thousand might have been printed, but today, for a variety of reasons, few are left.  There are almost countless scenarios explaining why a vintage or antique deck would be rare - or common.

For the Circus deck, it's rare because the deck was aimed at a children's audience, perhaps even sold at actual circuses.  Just as few of their comic books, board games and toys survive, so, too, do few of their decks of playing cards.

For something like the War Series, they didn't get printed until the year the war ended, so someone at USPC made an executive decision and ceased production on the decks, giving them an unusually short print run.  The decks were being promoted to be played with, so I'm thinking some decent amount of that production run was lost to wear and tear.  Thus, another rare deck (four decks, actually, not counting color variants).

Certain souvenir decks aimed at adults (like the Brown Derby deck) would have two factors determining surviving quantity - they'd be scarce because there were few places where they could have been purchased in the first place, thus probably had limited distribution, but the decks that were distributed would have had a better chance of survival because souvenirs of that type are often left unused, either displayed on a shelf or dropped into a drawer and buried in the back of it.

Then there's the Bicycle Rider Back - undoubtedly the most common Bicycle back printed, probably in continuous production since it was first introduced in 1893.  Sure, many got used up, but so many more were made that they're all over the place.  Plenty of old decks still exist.

You can, see, though, there are factors that come into play besides the size of the print run, a number that's often lost to antiquity.

Thank you so much for this excellent summary Don. It's a real pleasure to read you, sincerely!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:16:17 AM by Cryptocard27 »

Tell me more
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Nabbed these today but I need someone to look them up and give me info on them. I am packed for a move across country, and alas all my Hochman encyclopedias are boxed up. I grabbed them for the unique joker and ace which were both examples I don't currently own. The ace says Copyright 1900. I know they are Congress and they are titled spinning wheel, but are they particularly common or scarce? Either way, glad to be getting them because I don't yet have any wide Congress.
Josh Blackmon

Re: Tell me more
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 04:55:56 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Nabbed these today but I need someone to look them up and give me info on them. I am packed for a move across country, and alas all my Hochman encyclopedias are boxed up. I grabbed them for the unique joker and ace which were both examples I don't currently own. The ace says Copyright 1900. I know they are Congress and they are titled spinning wheel, but are they particularly common or scarce? Either way, glad to be getting them because I don't yet have any wide Congress.
This is Hochman US6c - one of the more intricate Aces. Nice to have the matching Joker which is much less common. Most Congress decks from late 1800's to WWI start had named backs. The exceptions are when they made a matching Joker they did not name the back [on the bottom of the back].They are certainly 1900-1905 vintage. Nice Find!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Thank you!
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thank you so much for this excellent summary Don. It's a real pleasure to read you, sincerely!

Aw, you're makin' me blush!  (Bonus points if you can tell me the movie the quote is from!)

That is a really gorgeous deck of cards you have there!  Fantastic!

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Aw, you're makin' me blush!  (Bonus points if you can tell me the movie the quote is from!)

That is a really gorgeous deck of cards you have there!  Fantastic!

Lol Don!! Ok.. I give you the movie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_QKY0_Bxk  ;)

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Lol Don!! Ok.. I give you the movie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_QKY0_Bxk  ;)

Actually, this is a little embarrassing - I've been misquoting the line!  The line is supposed to be "Stop it.  I'm gettin' misty."  It's spoken by Mel Gibson playing "Carter" in the movie "Payback" - an excellent example of a revenge movie with a fair amount of film noir mixed in.  I might have seen that line in an ad for the movie - sometimes scenes get changed after the movie trailer is made and something you see in the clip might end up on the cutting room floor instead of in the movie.  Studios can usually get away with it if the lost clip is still in the spirit of the film itself rather than some radical, game-changing moment.

I did check the "Pulp Fiction" quotes at IMDB - the word "blush" doesn't appear in any of them!

But enough of my tangent...  :))
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:25:55 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I found recently antique documents printed by Russell & Morgan. Do you think that John Robinsons, on the pix below, is the same person of the partnership with A. O. Russell and Robert J. Morgan ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:30:46 AM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I found recently antique documents printed by Russell & Morgan. Do you think that John Robinsons, on the pix below, is the same person of the partnership with A. O. Russell and Robert J. Morgan ?

I don't know if this answers your question, but R&M was a printing shop before they were a playing card company, specializing in just this kind of print work - circus/performance posters and the like.  This could simply be one of their print jobs for that particular circus.  It seems more logical.

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
It is certainly possible as one of Russell & Morgan's silent partners was John F. Robinson - seems a logical inference as R&M, as Don pointed out, were big in printing circus posters before they branched out in playing cards.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

Actually, this is a little embarrassing - I've been misquoting the line!  The line is supposed to be "Stop it.  I'm gettin' misty."  It's spoken by Mel Gibson playing "Carter" in the movie "Payback" - an excellent example of a revenge movie with a fair amount of film noir mixed in.  I might have seen that line in an ad for the movie - sometimes scenes get changed after the movie trailer is made and something you see in the clip might end up on the cutting room floor instead of in the movie.  Studios can usually get away with it if the lost clip is still in the spirit of the film itself rather than some radical, game-changing moment.

I did check the "Pulp Fiction" quotes at IMDB - the word "blush" doesn't appear in any of them!

But enough of my tangent...  :))

I was gonna go with Breakfast At Tiffany's
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »

Fustar

• Newcomer
I've been trying for a long time to find out what this deck of cards I have is called. Have not been able to find brand or anything about it. I got the deck when I was thirteen. It was a deck that one of my uncles had when they were younger. Hopefully someone knows something. Pic is attached, if any more are required let me know. Size is 2 and a fourth wide and 4 and half in height.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:55:42 PM by Fustar »

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I've been trying for a long time to find out what this deck of cards I have is called. Have not been able to find brand or anything about it. I got the deck when I was thirteen. It was a deck that one of my uncles had when they were younger. Hopefully someone knows something. Pic is attached, if any more are required let me know. Size is 2 and a fourth wide and 4 and half in height.

Thanks
Hi - would like to help but picture is too fuzzy. Can you add some clarity?
Tom Dawson

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »

Fustar

• Newcomer
Here are some more pics. If these are no good I will take some pics with my actual camera and post tomorrow. Just using my phones camera right now.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:39:37 PM by Fustar »

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2014, 12:31:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks

Wow - that's an atypical size, for certain.  50% taller than a bridge card, same width.

You go the deck at age thirteen - what year was that?  It could help.  Also, which country are you in?

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »

Fustar

• Newcomer

Thanks

Wow - that's an atypical size, for certain.  50% taller than a bridge card, same width.

You go the deck at age thirteen - what year was that?  It could help.  Also, which country are you in?

It would have been around 2001. No telling how long one of my uncles had the deck. Asked them none could remember the deck or who's deck it was. I mean these cards could be 50 plus years old I've had them for 13 years now. Just guessing because the last time any of them lived at home they werev18 years old maybe a few years older before leaving home. My mom and her family are from Maine that's where I got them from when I visited one year.

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2014, 11:58:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
How about a photo of a few faces - especially the jokers (if you have them) and the Ace of Spades?  That might give us more information.

I'd say with maybe 98% certainty that this wasn't printed by USPC.  It's more like a tarot-sized card, and US Games Systems holds a near-monopoly on printed tarot decks.