10¢ Alabama Tax Stamp on Playing Cards
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
I want to preface by saying that I'm not from Alabama, so I've never had access to these kinds of tax stamps. For some folks living around that area though, this might be common-place.

I've always read about these kinds of state tax stamps but never owned a deck with one. However, after this last trip to my father's house in Florida, while rummaging through his magic collection,  I found one!

1972 10¢ Alabama Tax Stamp on the cellophane of a Bee Deck

Can anyone informed, or from 'bama confirm if these tax stamps (or a form of) are still being used today?

Lee Asher
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:45:26 PM by Lee Asher »

Re: 10¢ Alabama Tax Stamp on Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
I can't tell you the age of mine only because they are sealed.  I am not too sure if they are still doing it.  I am curious as well this is something I was thinking about posting a while back.  Here are a couple pictures.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Interesting as last week I had an inquiry about a deck and it had a 10c Alabama tax stamp. It was 1960s if I remember. My understanding is that there still is a tax on playing cards in Alabama.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
From the looks of this eBay listing I'd say they are current.  I actually found mine in New Jersey hanging on the shelf of CVS.  I can only assume someone bought them in Alabama and returned them in NJ.  Probably sometime around early 2000's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-NEW-Playing-Cards-Standard-Sealed-in-BOX-Poker-Deck-Bridge-Alabama-Stamp-/331025644734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d12aa7cbe

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The law, odd though it sounds, appears to be current - and they tax the seller as well as the buyer.

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/slideshows/the-10-strangest-state-taxes/2
http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/31/pf/taxes/strangetaxes/

But as you can see from the URL of the CNN article, I can't find much written about this tax that isn't at least a year or more old.  Except for this one I just found!

http://thetaxfactor.com/proof-that-taxes-are-twisted-4-alabamas-playing-card-tax/

The interesting thing is that a pack of playing cards from USPC typically has 56 cards, thus being over the 54-card threshold for taxable decks.  Then again, the law could be written in such a way to exclude ad cards from the count.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:39:34 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
I wonder what kind of tax liabilities I'd incur if I applied to sell decks in the State of Alabama? I'd spend $3 (cost of the license), then another few bucks on top (for the actual tax) if they sent me a sheet (or two) of these stamps. Hmmmm......

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I wonder what kind of tax liabilities I'd incur if I applied to sell decks in the State of Alabama? I'd spend $3 (cost of the license), then another few bucks on top (for the actual tax) if they sent me a sheet (or two) of these stamps. Hmmmm......

And it gets more complex than that, as you'd probably have to be a licensed retailer in the state of Georgia.  The deck tax also wouldn't include the state and/or local sales taxes that may apply, and you'd have to be licensed to collect sales taxes on behalf of the applicable state and municipal authorities - and actually hand over the taxes collected...  :))

The tax really only applies to in-state residents and business owners, I would think.  If you were that interested, you'd want a lawyer to read the particular tax law in question.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:

And it gets more complex than that, as you'd probably have to be a licensed retailer in the state of Georgia.  The deck tax also wouldn't include the state and/or local sales taxes that may apply, and you'd have to be licensed to collect sales taxes on behalf of the applicable state and municipal authorities - and actually hand over the taxes collected...  :))

The tax really only applies to in-state residents and business owners, I would think.  If you were that interested, you'd want a lawyer to read the particular tax law in question.

Yeah, I figured it wasn't pretty. I'm just going to watch Ebay for some.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »

athomas16

I live in Alabama but I haven't bought a new deck of cards here in ages.  Around the house we use Copag and DaVinci. 

I will check at lunch and report back!

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

athomas16

Confirmed!  I just checked a deck of Aviators in a gas station.  Had a 10 cent stamp similar to the one pictured in OP...

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
Welcome Adam
We hope you will find this forum to be a good vehicle for you to be involved in. I enjoyed your comments in the 52 plus joker forum and hope that you will be active here as well.

I love the Marguerite decks, those are very nice ones.

Hope you will find a special deck or two to bid on in the 52 plus joker club auction. Check it out at www.52plusjoker.org

Judy
Judy Dawson

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:09:27 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
One of those 'odd-ball' taxes that likely is still on the books due to some morality issue, I suppose.  I've seen it misinterpreted two different ways, one saying that there is no tax on decks with more than 54 cards, not true - it's more than 10 cents in that case.  I've also seen a claim once that the seller paid $1 as well, again, not true.  They do have to pay $3 (used to be $2) for a license to sell them (i.e. in order to affix the tax stamps).

I can't find the statute to tell you exactly what the cost for 55 or more cards is, but what I have seen it 20 cents.  I don't know if that is the correct amount or just the (im)practical side of enforcement.

Now, the thought comes that all of the KS (and similar) project campaigns that deliver decks to Alabama are likely breaking that law - but I guess we have to assume that nobody cares unless you are selling them IN (from?) Alabama.  They started using this tax in the mid 1930's.  South Carolina used to have an 8 cent tax on each deck (not limited by a specific number of cards), but it went "out of style" in the late 60's or early 70's, but even living in SC, I can't find the precise date is was rescinded.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 02:14:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
One of those 'odd-ball' taxes that likely is still on the books due to some morality issue, I suppose.  I've seen it misinterpreted two different ways, one saying that there is no tax on decks with more than 54 cards, not true - it's more than 10 cents in that case.  I've also seen a claim once that the seller paid $1 as well, again, not true.  They do have to pay $3 (used to be $2) for a license to sell them (i.e. in order to affix the tax stamps).

I can't find the statute to tell you exactly what the cost for 55 or more cards is, but what I have seen it 20 cents.  I don't know if that is the correct amount or just the (im)practical side of enforcement.

Now, the thought comes that all of the KS (and similar) project campaigns that deliver decks to Alabama are likely breaking that law - but I guess we have to assume that nobody cares unless you are selling them IN (from?) Alabama.  They started using this tax in the mid 1930's.  South Carolina used to have an 8 cent tax on each deck (not limited by a specific number of cards), but it went "out of style" in the late 60's or early 70's, but even living in SC, I can't find the precise date is was rescinded.

You're probably right in that in South Carolina, it was a "sin tax," because the statue covering stamp-type taxation of playing cards also covered the taxation of tobacco and ammunition.  It's in the state's Code of Laws, Title 12, Chapter 21, Article 5 - but I can't find any repeal date for the taxation of cards.  It's worth noting that the tax applied to purchases made out-of-state and delivered to the retailer, but there's nothing in the law about it applying to direct sales to consumers.  In fact, upon close reading of the law as it exists here, the sections of the article of law dealing with ammunition and playing card tax rates appear to have been removed at some point, with the remaining sections of the law mentioning them being left over from the days when the taxes on those items were in effect.  It's a common occurrence - it was easier to leave it in the law than to rewrite the law and have it removed, so those sections were left in and the sections on rates of taxation for those products were the only things removed.  Cigarettes are taxed at 2.5 cents per cigarette, adding up to 50 cents for a pack and five dollars for a typical carton.

I dug a little deeper.  This might be it, the act for the repeal of taxation on both playing cards and ammunition: H4849 from session 112 (1997-1998) of the SC State Legislature.

The tax in Alabama, according to the state's Department of Revenue, is 10 cents for each deck of not more than 54 cards.  This is generally to be interpreted that if a pack contains more than 54 cards, it's considered "two decks" and would be taxed as such.  In all likelihood, this limitation does NOT include the presence of advertisement cards, thus allowing a typical pack of standard USPC playing cards (poker or pinochle) to sell at a tax rate of 10 cents.  When the cards are included in a gift package or included in a game, the stamp has to be affixed not to the cards but to the outside of the gift or game package.  The Revenue Department is the only entity selling the stamps, and retailers must obtain a "playing card privilege license" in order to sell playing cards and use the stamps.  Almost by definition, this excludes the taxation of playing cards shipped from out of state directly to the consumer.

I would be curious how the Alabama Department of Revenue views the inclusion of gaff cards - it would in the case of many USPC decks raise the total number of cards above 54, thus increasing the tax on them.

It is not unheard of, though, for states to tax items purchased outside of the state by its residents.  New York is a state that has a law on the books requiring the payment of sales tax on all items purchased out of state, and in most cases it's the obligation of the buyer to report the taxes to the state government on their income tax form.  If you purchase a car, for example, in New Jersey and bring it home to register it in New York, you'll pay the NJ state sales tax at the time of purchase, then the NY State sales tax before you'll be permitted to register the vehicle in New York - obviously, that's one case where the state doesn't rely on the honor system for people to report their purchases.  Another would be all purchases made from Amazon.com - for a very long time, the company kept most of its operations in states that didn't have a state sales tax and were centrally located to allow for fast shipment to all parts of the country.  Now, however, they've entered into an agreement with the state of New York - all NYS residents making purchases from Amazon.com pay the state sales tax on them at the time of purchase, which Amazon forwards on to New York State.  Amazon.com is more like the exception, though - most Internet retailers only collect their own state's sales tax from where they're physically located, and then only from the residents of that state.  If a retailer has a presence both online and in retail stores, they're generally required to charge sales tax on the residents of the states where those stores are located - one of the reasons I paid New York sales tax on a mail-ordered Apple computer shipped to me from Cupertino, California.  In fact, I didn't just pay the state's tax - the state also collects local sales taxes for the cities of Yonkers and New York, the first and fourth largest cities in the state (and probably the state's two biggest sources of income tax revenue).

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 02:37:37 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
No doubt about that, Don.  Most states likely never anticipated our contemporary business paradigm that included a lot of shipment of decks (amongst many other things) from Kickstarter (and even Amazon).  I'd hate to have to get Alabama to make a definitive ruling on where the line is drawn between it being a 'deck' and something else - i.e. meaning that 55+ cards is not a deck.

Interestingly enough, Amazon has three processing / shipping centers in SC, and we don't pay state taxes on purchases from them even now, although of course the state made all sorts of tax concessions to get them located here.  We're supposed to report the amount of online un-taxed purchases we make on an annual basis as a "Use Tax", but for all practical purposes, it doesn't happen.  Amazon does not report it to the state.  South Carolina has some interesting taxes, like the maximum $300 for an automobile, whether it's a $5000 or $150,000 variety.

I do know that SC hasn't had tax stamps on playing card decks for at least 35 years, though.  The last time I remember seeing them on decks for sale here was about late 1970's, maybe a few years before that, and those could have been decks that had stamps on them affixed before the tax was repealed.  I know it was still in effect when I graduated from High School in 1972.  It wasn't in 1982 because I had some made for my father's Pizza Hut restaurants in South Carolina when we opened a second one in Myrtle Beach.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
The key point here is what Mike said about the business paradigm. I suspect most jurisdictions have not caught up with suitable legislative change. True in in our provinces in many respects.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
No doubt about that, Don.  Most states likely never anticipated our contemporary business paradigm that included a lot of shipment of decks (amongst many other things) from Kickstarter (and even Amazon).  I'd hate to have to get Alabama to make a definitive ruling on where the line is drawn between it being a 'deck' and something else - i.e. meaning that 55+ cards is not a deck.

They wouldn't define a deck of at least 55 cards as being "something else."  The way the taxes on playing cards have generally been interpreted in the past is that if you exceeded the limit as to the number of cards in a legally-defined deck, they considered that pack as "two decks" (or more, if it was some wacky deck that had more than double the legal limit) and taxed it as such.

A simple example would be the "Five Hundred" decks that have 10 extra cards in them - four 11s, four 12s, and two 13s (usually a spade and a heart) in addition to the usual courts, allowing certain four-player games to be played as six-player games with a single deck.  I could be wrong here, but those decks had tax stamps on them equal to double the normal tax for a single deck because the extra cards put them over the legally-defined limit of how many cards equal one deck.  Another example would be all the two-deck bridge and poker sets that were sold when tax stamps were still in use - for the Federal tax, each deck was separately stamped, indicating the tax was paid twice.

There's lots of similarly outmoded laws on the books all over this great land of ours.  (And yours, Tom!)  For example, there's still a decades-old law on the books in New York City requiring that your pet alligator be walked on a leash in public, this despite the fact that alligators and all other exotic, non-domesticated pets were outlawed a handful of years ago.  Then there's the interpretations and misinterpretations of the law - until recently, the city was arresting women who walked around in public topless, despite the law permitting public toplessness for two reasons: 1) gender equality and 2) as a means to stop "indecency-based" prohibitions from preventing public breast-feeding of infants.  (For more information, see the documentary film, "Free the Nipple," available on Netflix Streaming and elsewhere.)

OK, now I'm rambling...someone stop me...  :))