You are Here:
Chicago "Playing Card Market" this Saturday, Aug. 31

Author (Read 1729 times)

Chicago "Playing Card Market" this Saturday, Aug. 31
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

andrew daugherty

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Chicago Playing Card Collectors will hold its first "Playing Card Market" Saturday, August 31st as part of the CPCC annual convention.

It's billed as a sale of "all things playing cards," including decks, unusual singles and other playing card-related items.

I'll be one of the sellers.  I'll have dozens of decks, including one set of Bicycle Holiday backs (the snowflakes, not the Santa), vintage airline, tobacco, alcohol advertising decks; vintage USPC (including a brick of still sealed, 1962 Bees) and lots more.

Think of it as a chance to buy older and standard decks for your collection.  We have plenty of playing card history experts as well.  Many members have collected cards for 50 years or more. 

All questions and newcomers welcome.

Other members of the CPCC club will have decks and ephemera for sale, too.

The convention itself runs Aug. 30 and 31 at the Holiday Inn North Shore, 5300 Touhy Avenue, in Skokie.

CPCC members trade single cards and collect decks.  It is THE convention of the year for singles traders.  Members travel from Australia and Europe to swap.

This could be the chance to expand your collecting into singles.  Members swap those mostly for free!

Admission to the convention itself is $15.  No admission charged for the "Market" on Saturday afternoon.

WHAT:  CPCC Playing Card Market
WHEN:  1-5 p.m. CDT, Saturday, Aug. 31
WHERE:  Holiday Inn North Shore, 5300 Touhy Avenue, Skokie, Illinois

Send me a message or leave any questions here.  I'll be checking online throughout the week.

www.CPCCInc.org for more information. 

See you there!

Andrew

Re: Chicago "Playing Card Market" this Saturday, Aug. 31
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I've always wanted to attend a convention of sorts for playing cards. I pretty much have everything I want in terms of playing card decks. I most likely would not find anything to buy.

As someone who enjoys the quality of a good handling "deck", a single swap card is useless to me. I never understood collecting or selling single swap cards. Unless your a designer and want to have a vintage card back, AoS or Joker as a reference for ones own designs. The single swap turns me off. Only the good lord knows where those single cards have been before it touches your hands.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:23:29 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Bring it over to NY and I'm in...

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I agree or hosted by USPCC in Kentucky.

Here's an idea for USPCC, create an annual playing card convention in Kentucky around "Play More Cards Day". Make a 3 day weekend out of it and call it the "Play More Cards Convention".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:27:21 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Here's an idea for USPCC, create an annual playing card convention in Kentucky around "Play More Cards Day". Make a 3 day weekend out of it and call it the "Play More Cards Convention".

Then why aren't you telling USPC?  Or are you?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
How was this? I wanted to go so bad, but I couldn't get work off.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I have. Waiting on a reply.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:54:54 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Thanks for taking the time to contact the US Playing Card Company.

Unfortunately we do not have the time or the manpower to host an annual convention.

You may be interested in the following:

1.    52 Plus Joker American Playing Card Collectors Club
www.52plusjoker.org/‎

I believe they host a convention each year.

Regards,

Consumer Relations
US Playing Card Company

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
This year their convention is in Las Vegas, which should be incredible... It's a great club - more so for vintage collecting and they have a rare auction each year; however, I just can't get behind the auction process, whereby you send your highest bid to the chairman of the club and you must trust him to take the highest bid, without going over and decide the winner of the auction... I much prefer the eBay method or the classic method... Not that there's anything mischievous regarding the club chairman, but I just don't know him like that... you know what I mean?

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:31:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This year their convention is in Las Vegas, which should be incredible... It's a great club - more so for vintage collecting and they have a rare auction each year; however, I just can't get behind the auction process, whereby you send your highest bid to the chairman of the club and you must trust him to take the highest bid, without going over and decide the winner of the auction... I much prefer the eBay method or the classic method... Not that there's anything mischievous regarding the club chairman, but I just don't know him like that... you know what I mean?

It's pretty much honor system, and since the purpose is to raise funds, why would they take anything but the highest bids?

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don... I'm not attacking his character... I'm just saying that the system that is currently set has no checks and balances... There is one man deciding who does and does not get the deck... Perhaps a close friend is receiving a ridiculously low amount for a deck... so maybe all of a sudden it's selling at a much higher price... Again, I'm not saying at all this is what would happen, but there's too much of a chance that it could... Not a big fan of the system... Host a private auction through eBay and I'm all in... Sometimes it's okay to have big brother watching if it's for the good of the people...  8)

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don... I'm not attacking his character... I'm just saying that the system that is currently set has no checks and balances... There is one man deciding who does and does not get the deck... Perhaps a close friend is receiving a ridiculously low amount for a deck... so maybe all of a sudden it's selling at a much higher price... Again, I'm not saying at all this is what would happen, but there's too much of a chance that it could... Not a big fan of the system... Host a private auction through eBay and I'm all in... Sometimes it's okay to have big brother watching if it's for the good of the people...  8)

Big Brother charges fees.  The group as a whole is rather friendly and trusting of each other.