You are Here:
Vintage Jokers

Author (Read 1070 times)

Vintage Jokers
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Hey guys, just yesterday I bought my first two decks of "vintage" cards. They're Bicycles from 1901 and 1905 (if someone could tell me the value of them, that'd be great. I think I got a good deal.) and I've been looking around at some other sales, but I have a question; have Bicycle decks always had two Jokers? Because some of the sellers are talking up their decks like they're gold bars, but they only have one joker. And I would really like to have a complete deck.

Also, does having the box make the value go up? If so, by how much?

Re: Vintage Jokers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure it's like everything else in life, it's only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay. I think if your happy with what you paid, then that should be good enough.
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:46:44 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sealed decks are most preferred... However, if the deck is not missing any cards and is rare enough an open box, or deck without any box at all can be quite costly... With regard to what Bicycle decks you own, how do you know they are from 1901 and 1905 and what style decks are they? Rider Back, Racer Back, or something extraordinarily rare - Motorette No. 1 Sealed?  In addition, many of the earlier decks only contained one Joker, so this does not in any way mean that you have an incomplete deck... Pics? Preferably of the Ace of Spades and Back of deck...

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If one of the two decks is indeed as old as 1901, it will be tougher to set the precise year of manufacture - the codes printed on the Ace of Spades at USPC weren't put into effect until 1904.  Without a box or a tax stamp, the back design and the art on the faces would be the only way to tell - if the deck was rare, that's easy enough, but if it was common, it could be very difficult to pin down.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Certainly decks from the 1900-1930 period from USPC only came with one Joker. In fact I think it was only in the 1970' or 1980's that they printed two.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:05:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Certainly decks from the 1900-1930 period from USPC only came with one Joker. In fact I think it was only in the 1970' or 1980's that they printed two.

I remember from childhood playing with cards and they always had two jokers - I was born in 1967.  It wasn't until I started getting into collecting that I started seeing decks with a single joker.  If USPC waited until the 1970s, it was the EARLY 1970s, or possibly even 1970.  Even at a young age, I was considered a pretty smart kid, and I remember having playing cards in pre-kindergarten.  Or it could be something that was rolled out gradually, with some brands getting the second joker earlier or later than others.  The second joker always stood out in my mind because it was the one with the guarantee printed on it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/