Author (Read 32309 times)

info on marked and stacked white lions
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
im not understanding the marked deck on the white lions i can see difference between the cards but i still don't know what card it it i read the blog on it and didn't understand could someone please explain it to me also the stack that its in ?

Re: info on marked and stacked white lions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:20:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
im not understanding the marked deck on the white lions i can see difference between the cards but i still don't know what card it it i read the blog on it and didn't understand could someone please explain it to me also the stack that its in ?

They come in a Mnemonica/Tamariz stack with the Ace of Spades on the top.  A single cut puts you in the proper order.

The markings are only meant to indicate value, NOT suit.  Several of the lower values also have the same mark.

Have you tried searching here?  The marks appear to be the same as on the Series A decks and I know we had at least one topic about them...

Ah, here it is...

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/secrets-of-the-white-lions-split-spades-deck

On the next-to-last post there's a link to this site:

http://labyrinthhsieh.blogspot.com/2011/12/white-lions-hidden-secrets.html

Which details the secret features of the Series A deck.  While the Series B has different jokers and a different Ace of Spades (they used the Split Spades Lions versions), the markings are the same on the backs and are detailed there.

Try a search of the database next time - you'd be amazed at what you can find sometimes...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 02:51:48 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Thanks don for info on the stack sorry I didn't search the forum before I searched google I already read the second link and don't understand if it either of 2cards or 2 suits how does it help also I'm still not getting how to get each card is there 9diffrences because it just looked like 2 different shadows

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 03:24:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks don for info on the stack sorry I didn't search the forum before I searched google I already read the second link and don't understand if it either of 2cards or 2 suits how does it help also I'm still not getting how to get each card is there 9diffrences because it just looked like 2 different shadows

In the first picture below, you see the subtle differences between a "plain" half-spade and a "thin" half-spade.  The thin half-spades are the markings, and their location is what tells you the value of the card, which you can see in the second picture.

In addition to all of this, aces and jokers have NO marks on them, kings are marked only on one side edge and not the other, and the double backer has no marks on one back, all marks on the other, "marks" being the thinner split spade.

The marking system is a little complex for me, considering you have to look all over the place to find the marks and they are limited in terms of the information revealed.  But then again, it's probably the least obvious marking system I've ever seen.

EVERYTHING I just typed is in the blogpost on the White Lions, including the photos.  The English is imperfect, but no more so than yours is.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
The new Series B got indeed a marking for the suits.
Check the upper left corner aarangment of the 4 splitspades symbols.
They form something like a cross.
Take now one of each suit and you will see that those will indicate which suite the card is.
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »

Labyrinth

• True Member
Take now one of each suit and you will see that those will indicate which suite the card is.

:)
yes they change marking system
I will post new review for B series lion and "new" secret at late September  8)

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

:)
yes they change marking system
I will post new review for B series lion and "new" secret at late September  8)

Thanks don and labyrinth I think I'm starting to get it oh there's a new marking system haha could you put the link here please when you put the system up please labrynth =D

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
in the top left corner of the deck some of the spades are a tad lighter. the markings look like this
(the 0 are the lighter colors)
   0  0

this would be a spade.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:34 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
Aces are marked
They have a single half spade with thin borders.
This appears on the bottom right hand side (side determined by one way suits being up when you turn the card around)
It is the same marking as the 2 but it only appears on 1 side.

I am trying to work out some of the other markings as it seems pointless to me that 8 and 3, 9 and 4 etc.. would have the same marking

On another note this shows you how new I am to the collectible card community, I didn't even realize these were marked when I bought them.
Because of that, look for sales of White lions Series B coming soon.
I collect cards as well as use them for gaming. Marked cards aren't much use to me. Not if I want to keep friends.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:55:49 AM by Utterfool »

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:30:12 AM »

Kenneth

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Wow never knew these were marked although is there a way to determine which card is which when the mark land on the double value mark?
Ao No Exorcist - Finished
Stein's Gate - Finished
FMAB - Finished
One Piece - Currently watching 
Hunter X Hunter 2011 - Currently watching
Hitman Reborn - Currently Watching

Playing Card Collection: https://picasaweb.google.com/117868386827354506649/PlayingCardCollection?authuser=0&feat=directlink

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:37 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I've asked myself the same question you did and I've found this picture regarding the 1st. edition. I imagine that in these series it's the same.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Aces are marked
This appears on the bottom right hand side (side determined by one way suits being up when you turn the card around)

I am trying to work out some of the other markings as it seems pointless to me that 8 and 3, 9 and 4 etc.. would have the same marking

On another note this shows you how new I am to the collectible card community, I didn't even realize these were marked when I bought them.
I collect cards as well as use them for gaming. Marked cards aren't much use to me. Not if I want to keep friends.

The markings were meant to be subtle and of limited use in the first deck.  Better suited for blackjack play than poker.  The newer marking system is a little more thorough.  It doesn't focus on low-value cards, instead looking at high-value ones primarily.

It's a shame you'll be passing them up.  Consider getting a hold of some of the Split Spades Lions - they were a great deck, and the Silver Edition is coming out soon.  Blaine also released some nice gaff cards in this deck design, and in partnership with USPC, created three inexpensive gaffed decks as well - a stripper with the blue back, a Svengali with the red back and a marked deck with the black back.  Those gaff decks are getting more expensive, though, since USPC stopped production.  At one point, they were selling for as little as $5 a pack - you'd never find a good stripper or marked deck at that price anywhere else.

If you want a "clean" deck, the SS Lions were probably the pinnacle for Blaine.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Aces are marked

The markings were meant to be subtle and of limited use in the first deck.  Better suited for blackjack play than poker.  The newer marking system is a little more thorough.  It doesn't focus on low-value cards, instead looking at high-value ones primarily.

It's a shame you'll be passing them up.  Consider getting a hold of some of the Split Spades Lions - they were a great deck, and the Silver Edition is coming out soon.  Blaine also released some nice gaff cards in this deck design, and in partnership with USPC, created three inexpensive gaffed decks as well - a stripper with the blue back, a Svengali with the red back and a marked deck with the black back.  Those gaff decks are getting more expensive, though, since USPC stopped production.  At one point, they were selling for as little as $5 a pack - you'd never find a good stripper or marked deck at that price anywhere else.

If you want a "clean" deck, the SS Lions were probably the pinnacle for Blaine.

oh no i just learnt this marking so there's no low cards marked on the v2 ? is it still easy like this one at the side ?

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

oh no i just learnt this marking so there's no low cards marked on the v2 ? is it still easy like this one at the side ?

(Sigh...)  They are marked in the lower values, BUT if you look at the photo, you'll see that the low values have marks that are shared by more than one card value.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

sorry for bumb this oldie, but i've just know that the series B is full marked. but i still stucked at how to read high/low value even spend a hour starring at cards. pls help me if u know how to read high/low different than"magic eye illusion" because i cannot understand that explain  :mindf-ck:

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
sorry for bumb this oldie, but i've just know that the series B is full marked. but i still stucked at how to read high/low value even spend a hour starring at cards. pls help me if u know how to read high/low different than"magic eye illusion" because i cannot understand that explain  :mindf-ck:

Yeah, we learned about the markings a while ago.

This page as some of the information regarding the markings on the Series A decks.  The marks were the same for Series B.  With a little reverse engineering and this information, you should be able to spot the markings without any trouble and identify them.  There's no "magic eye" needed!

http://labyrinthhsieh.blogspot.com/2011/12/white-lions-hidden-secrets.html

If this still isn't enough, I know we have more info on it elsewhere in this forum.  Try a search.

white lions
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »

murderke

• Newcomer
Hey guys

I'm planning to buy a white lions cardset from David Blaine.
The only problem is that i looked everywhere for the full explanation for the marked system but only found that you can know the value of the card by the thin edge of the half spades.
So by this technique you can know if its a K,Q,J, (10 or 6), (9 or 5), (8 or 4), (7 or 3) ,2.
Is there also a techinque to know the suit of the card? (spades, clubs, diamons, hearts).
And can someone maybe be 100 procent sure wich number a card is instead of only 50 procent?
Sorry if the answers already have been posted but i looked everywhere on the forum and never found a clear answer.

Kind regards

Re: white lions
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:28:09 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
There is a detailed explanation given by Don Boyer somewhere on the forum.. use the search function and you will find it  ;)
Back for more

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 12:34:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've made it even easier than that - I've merged this topic with the one on the markings.

The markings extend from the edge of the card into the center - you can determine the exact value and suit of each card using them.  The same marking system also appears in the newer Black Lions decks, which might be less expensive to obtain - while they're also sold out, there's been word that he's planning a "seconds" release, though that's been going around for a while now and there's be no definitive news on it yet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:34:17 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member
So I read through this, unfortunately the first link wasn't working. Is there a full coding system? As far as I understood, the low values are still double coded?
thanks

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 06:34:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I read through this, unfortunately the first link wasn't working. Is there a full coding system? As far as I understood, the low values are still double coded?
thanks

The coding isn't just at the card's edge - it extends in a diagonal line going either up or down from the card edge.  That's how you tell the difference between the high and low values.  There's also a section of the card used for determining the suit.

The exact same marking system was used for the Black Lions and I was able to reverse-engineer it fairly quickly - there's details on it in the Black Lions topic.
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=6375.msg120379#msg120379

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 07:24:51 AM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member
Thank you don, that was exactly what I was looking for. that explains why I didn't find it searching only for White Lions in the forum ;)
Now I have a Sunday occupation.

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 06:43:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As a general tip, it's easy enough to spot a marked deck that is "plainly" marked, not using "juice" or "shade" methods.  The riffle test, a.k.a. "going to the movies," will show off the markings if you look carefully enough, with rare exceptions - it works best if there aren't extraneous markings (like the Bicycle Series 1800 Marked deck) and if the marking system isn't spread across a too-large area of the card back (like the NOC signature series).  When riffled, the backs of a standard deck should all appear the same while the backs of a marked deck, each being unique, will flicker like watching a flip book animation or a nickelodeon.

Once you've revealed that it's marked, revealing the marking system is usually easy enough.  "Readers" don't require any special effort - they're usually marked in a plainly-readable manner, usually letters and numbers for values and letters or symbols for suits, concealed amongst the details of the back design.  When the system is concealed by some form of covert markings that aren't plainly readable, you need to decode the system.  The method I used was to first look for suit marks by sorting for suit, then riffle and seeing what sections of the backs only changed every thirteen cards.  Once that was solved, then you sort for value and riffle to see what changes every fourth card - it's a little more difficult, but not my much.

This is most effective when dealing with cards that are intended for gambling use - the markings in such cases are often confined to the upper-left corners of the card backs (and turned around in the opposite corner, the lower-right).  This makes them easier to spot when held in a player's hand or left on a table in a face-down spread in a manner to make the indices readable - reverse spreads work great for magicians, not so much for card players.  There is at least one deck I know of that's specifically designed for use by magicians in spreads whereby the spread is reversed for the magician, normal from the spectator's perspective and the marks are inverted for the spectator and in the wrong corner, making them harder to spot for him/her but plainly readable to the magician - almost completely unusable for card play, due to the marks being on the wrong corners, but because of that, slightly harder to spot.  (Not too much harder, because they are readers and not encoded in any way...)

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Hi guys, im here to clarify how you are supposed to read DBs Lions series decks...

This 2 cards / images were taken directly from the "stealth deck" that DB sold a couple of years ago.

We had a general idea but the higher numbers were difficult to read.

* This only applies to the White Lions series B / Back Lions.

Btw im selling 1 of those "stealth decks if anybody is interested :p

Form Follows Function

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 01:26:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi guys, im here to clarify how you are supposed to read DBs Lions series decks...

This 2 cards / images were taken directly from the "stealth deck" that DB sold a couple of years ago.

We had a general idea but the higher numbers were difficult to read.

* This only applies to the White Lions series B / Back Lions.

Btw im selling 1 of those "stealth decks if anybody is interested :p

Thanks for the post.  Can you tell us more about the Stealth Decks?