You are Here:
Friars Club Playing Cards and Jerry Nuggets

Author (Read 5490 times)

Friars Club Playing Cards and Jerry Nuggets
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »

xlacs

• Forum Regular
I've notice there has been some members here and on UC selling Friars Club Playing cards and it is often mention that they feel and handle like Jerry Nuggets. I was wondering if any members here can verify this. I have a set of Friars Club but not Jerry Nuggets. I have always wanted to handle Jerry Nuggets but due to the high price I don't think I will ever be able to.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:52:02 PM by xlacs »

Re: Friars Club Playing Cards and Jerry Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't know if this connects them really but I think they were printed about the same time.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »

whatismagic2011

• True Member

• Facebook:
I have friars club playing card too. But never handled Jerry's nugget before.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
I handled my friend's Jerrys before but I never handled the Friars so I don't know.

I think there is some unwritten rule about not being allowed to own or handle both at the same time in any life time, perhaps  ???
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

whatismagic2011

• True Member

• Facebook:
I handled my friend's Jerrys before but I never handled the Friars so I don't know.

I think there is some unwritten rule about not being allowed to own or handle both at the same time in any life time, perhaps  ???
A curse? Nah, Jerry's nugget are expensive, and Friars club are not that well know. So i guess that's the problem.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I got some Friars club and while they were already open, they took a little working in and IMO still don't handle as well as yer average Tallys (at least for fans and spreads).  They don't glide like other decks do.  The stock is really nice, though and they seem to be getting better every time I use them.  They feel different, that's for sure and I really do love using them.  Aside from the trash, the best handling deck is probably just whatever you're used to...

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Friars Club decks were produced in the same era as Jerry's Nuggets, but it is ridiculous to say they're handled like Jerry's Nugget. If a seller says so, it's a business trick. Unfortunately most of collectors have never handled Jerry's Nuggets, they don't know whether it is true or not, even thought they get the Friars Club decks, they still don't know...

Friars Club decks are collectible for their age and history ONLY. Some people might know I had lots of these decks (now only 1 pair left), but I've never opened any of them because I know these decks are not good for handling (it is very easy to judge, there are many videos on YouTube).

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I've handled Jerry's before, but I have been trying to get my hands on Friar's decks for a while now and haven't been able to. The bidding on eBay stays in the realm of reality until the last 24 hours, where it jumps to over $60 per deck.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I've handled Jerry's before, but I have been trying to get my hands on Friar's decks for a while now and haven't been able to. The bidding on eBay stays in the realm of reality until the last 24 hours, where it jumps to over $60 per deck.

I saw some Friar`s for $30 bucks with only like an hour to go a couple days ago :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:46 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I have handled Jerry's before, but never Friars. Although I have heard they do not handle the same. I think there is a curse!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I have club friars but no Jerry's.
So, I don't know if they handle the same or not.
But it's not a curse, I do know someone who own both decks.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
They are not the same. Please understand there were so many decks produced in that era, Friars Club is simply one of those decks. Don't be misled by those sellers' ad wording. Actually I noticed no seller said Friars Club decks are handled like Jerry's, they just said they were produced by USPC in 1970 like Jerry's (the same era and the same manufacturer). It's a very tricky wording.

Come one guys if you want to know the handling of Friars Club, why didn't you bid on this auction with me? I was the only one that placed a bid on it, I felt so lonely.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150757799999

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
They are not the same. Please understand there were so many decks produced in that era, Friars Club is simply one of those decks. Don't be misled by those sellers' ad wording. Actually I noticed no seller said Friars Club decks are handled like Jerry's, they just said they were produced by USPC in 1970 like Jerry's (the same era and the same manufacturer). It's a very tricky wording.

Come one guys if you want to know the handling of Friars Club, why didn't you bid on this auction with me? I was the only one that placed a bid on it, I felt so lonely.

It is not the same friar club that we are talking about, isn't it?

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

It is not the same friar club that we are talking about, isn't it?

It is not Friars Club, but it was made of the same stock as Friars Club.
They were generic-use stock and back design for many decks in that era, they were cheap stock in fact.

EDIT: I do not mean Friars Club decks are not worth collecting, but collectors should understand why they want the decks. Age, history, and rarity are all good reasons to collect the Friars Club decks.

_
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:27:50 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:20:37 AM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
There are no videos that professionally compare both deck's handling because filming both decks at once is very impossible.

I think it's best that nobody knows or share how the cards feel in comparison. We do need that extra mytsery in our life...
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »

xlacs

• Forum Regular
I found this video review for the Friars Club but it's not the best of reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co381nNeGok

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Can I be the first to say regardless of what a Jerry's Nugget handles like - The Friars Club handles like GAR-BAGE... It does not handle half as nicely as a standard Bicycle Deck... I currently have a number of sealed Friars Club decks purely for collection purposes and they look interesting... Plain, but nice pattern around the edges... They say, "Regular Playing Cards."  Aside from that, they do not even spread or fan well... The reason they are compared so much to the Jerry's Nugget is that in addition to being produced around the same time, the back of the deck is a solid color, which is similar to the JN... It is alleged that the chemicals used during that time period are now not allowed due to environmental reasons... Buy them for their collectibility, not for the handling...

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
I have always wanted to handle Jerry Nuggets but due to the high price I don't think I will ever be able to.

Keep your eye out for used Jerry's Nugget cards, I found a few decks at the Magic Castle Swap Meet, opened and used but in great shape and I think I paid 8 bucks for them, maybe 10.. I have MANY decks opened and used as I used to have hundreds of them. 

So if you want to work with them the possibility is there.  In fact I saw several opened used decks, and they were all around that price.  (No they weren't the knock off's I know the differrence, having owned hundreds of them and having handled the knock offs)