You are Here:
Original Steamboats From The Titanic...

Author (Read 2152 times)

Original Steamboats From The Titanic...
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I thought everyone might be interested in this post... I just learned that there was a deck of original Steamboat Playing Cards by the USPCC discovered amongst the wreckage of the Titanic... It's now on display at the Luxor in Las Vegas... Just fascinating... I found it incredible that the deck is considerably intact for what it had been through...

http://www.aaavegas.com/attractions/rediscover-the-rms-titanic-one-artifact-at-a-time/2012/01/27

Re: Original Steamboats From The Titanic...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I thought everyone might be interested in this post... I just learned that there was a deck of original Steamboat Playing Cards by the USPCC discovered amongst the wreckage of the Titanic... It's now on display at the Luxor in Las Vegas... Just fascinating... I found it incredible that the deck is considerably intact for what it had been through...

http://www.aaavegas.com/attractions/rediscover-the-rms-titanic-one-artifact-at-a-time/2012/01/27

Wow, those are just incredible. It's amazing how we can still actually read the cards.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Its amazing that they are in such good shape for what the went through! Very cool.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:41:17 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Not the news :P :P
When I did researches on Steamboat, I found some people talking about this on magic/collector forums.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Woah! I wonder how much that is going to be on that auction.... An arm and a leg!  :'(

I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
wow, i'm speechless, that deck still looks wonderful even after all it's been through.. anyone with nimble fingers and quick hands?  ;D  just kidding!  :P  that deck...  :-X
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:14:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
They must have been somehow partially protected from the environment down there, perhaps caught in an air bubble or something.  I can't imagine that if they were left exposed, they would have survived for so long.  At least, that's my two cents worth...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I agree with Don, there is not way that those would have lasted without some sort of slight protection. It's pretty cool they survived though and in such good condition!! A real piece of history right there
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I dunno, it's pretty hard to strip ink off a playing card.  I could believe they were submerged for a long time and survived.  In terms of 'what they went through', really they just got wet.  You take them out and dry them.

I think its interesting they were on there at all; somebody brought them over to London and was bringing them back to NY.  You could buy cards in England (dunno about USPCC but I'm guessing not usually) but somebody stuck with their Steamboats rather than just buy a deck over there.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Amazingly preserved! I find it hard to believe that it came out in such good shape, without any sort of protection. Air bubble? I'm not sure, but it can't be just left there randomly floating around and still come out like that. Many decks on land don't even get preserved like that.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
I dunno, it's pretty hard to strip ink off a playing card.  I could believe they were submerged for a long time and survived.  In terms of 'what they went through', really they just got wet.  You take them out and dry them.

I think its interesting they were on there at all; somebody brought them over to London and was bringing them back to NY.  You could buy cards in England (dunno about USPCC but I'm guessing not usually) but somebody stuck with their Steamboats rather than just buy a deck over there.
i remember seeing carlo's video about his destroyed deck collection, for some reason all the printing of his decks were alright apart from the s&m v5. hmmm. wonder what kind of ink dnd use that it would come off the card during the flood. maybe someone with a worn v5 can try it out to verify. hohohohohoh.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

They got wet - and stayed wet, for over eighty years!  When you're talking about that length of time, decomposition of the paper itself becomes a factor.  In terms of breaking down to base components, a traffic ticket has a "half-life" of about 1.5-2 weeks; I can't imagine a playing card lasting too much longer than a traffic ticket, even with lamination.  Sure, there's the laminates protecting the cards, but even so - over eighty years...  I don't even think the corpses of the dead survived this long.

I'd guess they were tucked into a drawer in the furniture of some cabin somewhere at the very least.  If they were simply on deck somewhere or in someone's pocket, they'd be scattered all over the place and nearly impossible to find.  Somehow, somewhere, they were protected from full decomp and exposure to the bacteria that would normally break down the paper.  The depth and the cold of the water may have been factors as well.

And yes, it is cool to think of some person taking their trusty deck of Steamboats all the way from America to London, and on the voyage back.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/