D&D are Selling Jerry's on their site.

Author (Read 7345 times)

D&D are Selling Jerry's on their site.
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
They are $350 a pop, but if you have money to spend, and want legitimacy guaranteed, then here you go:

http://shop.dananddave.com/jerrys-nugget.html
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

Re: D&D are Selling Jerry's on their site.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:12:55 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
What is the market price for these decks today?
(Final bidding price at ebay)

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
omg i want one... how much does lee asher sell them for usually does anyone know?

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I like this! I'm not going to get one but it provides buyers with a legit seller and not a sketchy ebay auction. Respect to Dan and Dave for doing this
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:05 PM »

Eyeball

• Elite Member
I think they are selling them for too much, and I think that they know that. Nonetheless I think people will buy them, and they know that too. D&D really like to make money, I think this has become clear.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:23:57 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I think they are selling them for too much, and I think that they know that. Nonetheless I think people will buy them, and they know that too. D&D really like to make money, I think this has become clear.

That's true but it's not a bad price for the guarantee that you are getting a authentic, mint condition Jerry's deck. You don't really have that assurance with ebay. You really only have it with Dan and Dave or Lee Asher.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »

Eyeball

• Elite Member

That's true but it's not a bad price for the guarantee that you are getting a authentic, mint condition Jerry's deck. You don't really have that assurance with ebay. You really only have it with Dan and Dave or Lee Asher.

This is true, but honestly through Ebay's crackdown on fake sales as well as being able to see the seller's history you can still feel fairly confident in getting legitimate Jerry's for less than $350 a pop.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:27:39 PM by Eyeball »

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 11:29:14 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I like how they look, but I still don't see why anyone would pay $350 a deck unless you are a big-time collector.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member

This is true, but honestly through Ebay's crackdown on fake sales as well as being able to see the seller's history you can still feel fairly confident in getting legitimate Jerry's for less than $350 a pop.

i dunno about that the last three sales ive seen on ebay have gone for more than 350

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Their market value today are $250-300 for no cellophane, and $300-350 with cellophane intact.

I'm not seeing anywhere on the page notes on the quality of the decks. I have received torn cellophane decks from D&D's collection numerous times, and the decks included Absolut Vodkas, Fournier 605's and Smoke & Mirrors decks.

Jerry's, and any vintage deck, are extremely difficult to keep the cellophane intact. Even Lee Asher has an entire tier of somewhat discounted decks in his sales dedicated to Jerry's with torn cello.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 11:36:19 PM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran

''D&D really like to make money, I think this has become clear.''

That made me chuckle  ;D

UC

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:12 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
$300-350?   I've seen them go for less than that and they were already super-rare valuable when I started.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Thats a month of rent for me.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 11:53:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I had a sneaking suspicion with their recent blog post on Jerry's Nuggets that they'd end up selling them!

What is the market price for these decks today?
(Final bidding price at ebay)

It's hard to go by eBay due to the numerous counterfeits - you can't tell if an auction is for a legit deck or not.

omg i want one... how much does lee asher sell them for usually does anyone know?

Price varies based on condition.  New and unused doesn't always mean pristine - plastic wrap pops off from shrinkage, deck seals begin to lose adhesiveness, the box might have cosmetic damage.  They don't usually allow you to choose your own color, though, and there's sort of an auction-like process for selling rather than just straight-up "I'd like one, please."

Not really.  A legit deck in new condition doesn't exactly fall out of the trees these days.  Wouldn't surprise me if these were cherry-picked as pristine as well.

Trust me - fakes and illegitimate merchandise still manage to get through.  This time around, with Buyer Protection, eBay's on the hook for it and thus has incentive to catch them, but they're not perfect at spotting such auctions.

I like how they look, but I still don't see why anyone would pay $350 a deck unless you are a big-time collector.

There's a number of reasons, though the price does tend to limit them.  They're a piece of the history of both Las Vegas and magic.  They're made in a way playing cards are no longer made, using a very high-quality process that back then was just standard practice - remember, these were cheapo decks in the gift shop, only 50 cents a pack, up until the stock was bought up by magicians and collectors maybe twenty years ago.  They're pushing fifty years old and still available sealed in the box.  The rumor, supported by many owners' claims, is that the handling actually improves with age.

Their market value today are $250-300 for no cellophane, and $300-350 with cellophane intact.

I'm not seeing anywhere on the page notes on the quality of the decks. I have received torn cellophane decks from D&D's collection numerous times, and the decks included Absolut Vodkas, Fournier 605's and Smoke & Mirrors decks.

Jerry's, and any vintage deck, are extremely difficult to keep the cellophane intact. Even Lee Asher has an entire tier of somewhat discounted decks in his sales dedicated to Jerry's with torn cello.

At those prices, if there were issues with the decks, I'm thinking they've made a note of that in the posting for sale.  If not, they're just begging for a customer relations nightmare.

(BTW: when were they selling 605s?)

$300-350?   I've seen them go for less than that and they were already super-rare valuable when I started.

But when was that?  I've seen decks change in value - both up and down - in the course of just a few weeks.  I paid $25 for a once sold-out Propaganda deck that's now only $9.95 at BMPokerWorld.

Thats a month of rent for me.

You have CHEAP rent, my friend - your obviously not living in New York, unless it's in a cardboard box, and even then, not in the good neighborhoods!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Not sure why people find it difficult to tell apart the fake Jerry's from the real ones. Once you have it in your hands, you can tell with the cellophane on if you are holding a 40 year old deck of cards, or a five year old deck.

Via pictures you can tell if they're counterfeit pretty easily too:

- No current counterfeit has the vintage USPCC seal with the rippled edges, and all Jerry's have that seal.
- Most vintage deck get an extreme bowing effect in the cards, so extreme that the box itself gets warped and can even tear the cellophane. Seeing this is an indicator that it's the real thing (not seeing it means nothing, though).
- Real Jerry's only come in Red & Blue.
- A lot of the folks selling fake decks don't want their eBay rep ruined, and so they almost always list the decks as "reprints" or "replicas."
- If you buy an open deck, you can easily tell if you have the real thing based on how the cards feel. Jerry's have a smooth finish on one side, and a dimpling on the other.

I've purchased two Jerry's from eBay, and auctioned for countless more - I've yet to see a fake passed off as a real one.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 12:20:22 AM »

Eyeball

• Elite Member
I remember when I first got into card collecting you could get a pack of Jerry's for like $100 and back than that was still considered A LOT for a deck of cards. Honestly I think that prices for cards in general has shot up because of the whole custom card craze, the idea of deck collecting has become more and more popular. Right now is a really good time to sell decks such as Jerry's because they will fetch a overinflated price such as $350. I honestly believe that if you wait awhile (maybe a year or two) that the prices of Jerry's will have gone down, once the whole craze dies down a little more. Man do I regret not picking up some Jerry's for that $100-$150 price tag though, but in my head I was thinking "you'd have to be crazy to spend over 100 bucks on a deck of cards!". Now you can find people dropping $350!

Edit: Oh and also, you guys must be looking at some pretty wack ebay sales because most of the ones I have seen go for less than $300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Red-Jerrys-Nugget-Playing-Cards-Authentic-Jerrys-Nugget-Vintage-Sealed-New-/220922253404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336ffe105c#ht_500wt_1135

This auction previously had a "buy it now" option for $290 but it seems to have been removed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:26:10 AM by Eyeball »

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 12:58:56 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
@above: That auction will end at around $300.

Guys, in case you didn't know, the price of Jerry's drops every year. A sealed, pristine deck goes for about $250 in the Spring, which is $100 less than what it goes for now. I got both my decks for $400 total.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Just thought I'd add...

If you're wondering how they have all of these Jerry's Nuggets decks...

They purchased them from the General Store for $3 per deck.. three years ago

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARhhUHNUKi0&feature=related

That's quite the mark-up

These guys know how to make $$$

CBJ
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:06:04 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:23 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
I have been roaming around the old deckqinue forums even though it's not active anymore. Seems like those day, decks were selling for 150 to 200. 350 is a hefty price to pay for a deck of cards. No matter how expensive it is. Oh well, I wonder who's able to pay for a deck without feeling the heartache.
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 01:53:52 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Just thought I'd add...

Here's the video

That's quite the mark-up

CBJ

The General Store? Please don't tell me they mean the Gambler's General Store... because three years ago I was living a few minutes away from it, and the whole time I thought "meh, I'll get around to going there one day."
Forum Founder.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@above: That auction will end at around $300.

Guys, in case you didn't know, the price of Jerry's drops every year. A sealed, pristine deck goes for about $250 in the Spring, which is $100 less than what it goes for now. I got both my decks for $400 total.

Yeah, normal market fluctuations.  People don't have as much cash to spread around after Christmas, so eventually the price of such items goes down.  Then they shoot up in the lead-up to Christmas.

If you look at the big-picture trend, though, these decks have only gone up, and will never go all the way back down.  Eventually it goes beyond the card collectors, magicians and cardists and becomes the realm of the vintage collector, the museum collector, etc.  That's where Jerry's are pretty much, by now, and the deeper into that territory they get, the more costly they'll become, seasonal fluctuations notwithstanding.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Just thought I'd add...

Here's the video

That's quite the mark-up

CBJ

The General Store? Please don't tell me they mean the Gambler's General Store... because three years ago I was living a few minutes away from it, and the whole time I thought "meh, I'll get around to going there one day."

I would imagine that's where they are talking about.  That would never happen now... card collecting has exploded in the last 3 years.
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I can't remember where, but I once heard that video was just a joke and to get everyone stirred, but I'm not sure.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »

reckone1999

you can get a sealed deck anywhere from $170-$480 believe it or not. anything above $300 is extremely high priced for fair market value, and doesn't happen that often.

the average they go for about $250 with swings on both sides of that fence.

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
they are sold out