You are Here:
Howdy

Author (Read 753 times)

Howdy
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »

Urbanodyssey

• Newcomer
Obviously not my real name (or is it...) but I am Urban Odyssey hailing from the UK and Ive stumbled onto this forum through a mix of non related hobbies/ obsessions. 

I do appreciate magic tricks and all things surrounding that topic, however, that isn't the driver for my interest in playing cards.  Instead it comes from a combination of poker and art.  On the poker side I played for a living for a while and spent more hours than you can imagine with cards under my palm.  Even now its just feels like home sat at a table passing away a few hours.  My second love is in collecting art and my house is starting to resemble a gallery much to my better half's dismay.  My main passion is street art, however, I also have an interest in art deco type styles and prints and hence a real cross over to card design.

Admit to having roughly zero knowledge on the topic but eager to learn.  Will likely lurk in the shadows until I can post without sounding stupid.  That said I will open with a stupid question.  For those interested in the design of the cards what is the best way to form a collection.  I understand the reason for not opening up products, however, it just seems a strange concept if you like the design.  Is it really the same as buying a picture but then keeping it in the box it was delivered in?  Or is the package design just as good as that found on the actual cards?  If so then why when releasing a new deck does all the advertising seem to focus on images of individual cards?   Sorry more than one question and no doubt most are naive.

Thanks all.
UO

Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:51:23 AM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Welcome UO. I think the answer to your...to open or not to open... dilemma lies within yourself. I love to shuffle cards. I enjoy shuffling premium cards, but I'll shuffle any deck that needs shuffled. I do have some decks that I keep sealed for purely personal reasons. Some I have only one deck and are valuable. Some I just haven't got around to opening. Check out the Storing and Displaying thread in The Source - Card Collecting 101 section to see how you can display your decks as art.
-Enjoy the journey,
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

Re: Howdy
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »

scorpodile

• Newcomer
If you haven't already, just take some time and browse different decks. Some sites with a lot of different decks would be theory11, ellusionist, and artofplay. Don't forget kickstarter. So many designs and artists on that site. There are many many more producers and places to go, but those first 3 should give you a good feel for "main stream" designs, while kickstarter will have more "fringe/modern" decks.
Everyone has different tastes, but here are some of (completely my opinion) the better looking decks out there:
Contraband: Theory11
Artisan (I like black): Theory11
Mints (Black, Raspberry, and Limited Edition): 52Kards
Carpe Noctem: Chris Ramsey - ellusionist

Anyway. There are some good looking ones. Hope this helped a little. Good luck!