You are Here:
*friendly wave* *brings cookies*

Author (Read 754 times)

*friendly wave* *brings cookies*
« on: January 27, 2017, 03:47:47 AM »

emdash

• Newcomer
  • Never been known to leave a good gin alone.
Hello people! I am very pleased to have found this forum. I'm Melissa, and a graphic designer under the name Emdash. It's a typography joke, not a very good one.

I'm starting work on a personal project of my first deck of cards with the working title Ten Kingdoms. It is inspired by Chinese Imperial portraits. My initial idea came from my OBSESSION with martial arts films, but I quickly figured out I could run into copyright issues and that's no fun, so extended it to my more general love of Chinese cinema.

My current work is on my instagram feed here, if you want to take a look (maybe follow me and boost my self esteem?): https://www.instagram.com/emdash_hill/

I am also a crap cardist. I practice every day and I'm still pretty crap but it's a good time and every time I have a breakthrough I do a victory jog around my studio shouting "In your FACE! Boom! You got NOTHIN'!" at the deck. I keep at it because I have a vision of myself as an old lady in the old folks home amusing myself and the other residents with rad flourishes. I figure sleight of hand is not going to work in this scenario so I'm leaving the magic mostly out of it, but practice my back palm every morning anyway because it looks impressive when proper magicians do it and who knows? Maybe one day the dexterity will come.

I've always like cards and have a small collection of vintage and artist-designed cards. I got first committed to card design as an idea when I collaborated with London artist Pony Tee to design a pingpong bat for the charity project The Art of Ping Pong a couple years ago. We did a two-sided design with hand gilding, with a King Grohl (oh, yeah!) and Queen Gaga. I'm pretty chuffed with that project actually. It's owned by a London-based designer and you can probably convince her to part with it, but you might have to kneecap her.

So, that's me I guess. I'm looking forward to getting to know folks here and learning more about making an awesome deck. I'm planning to fund it through kickstarter hopefully in about 6 weeks, but I want to make sure it's good for play, magic and cardistry so I've got lots of questions I'm hopeful you all can give me good guidance. Quite excited actually!

Re: *friendly wave* *brings cookies*
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Welcome Emdash! You've most certainly found the right place. As you can imagine, there are a bunch of friendly people on this forum who are very willing to help you with all aspects of your campaign.

If you have any questions ... just ask!

Enjoy...