« on: October 21, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
This was my Sunday project. Thank you to Sparkz for the idea. Took about 2hrs

Horizontally it will hold 28 decks, vertically will hold 30

What you will need

• 16"x20"(15.5" x 19.5" actual visual) Display case- This was from Hobby Lobby ($35 50% off = $17.50)
  • 1/4" x 1/2" x 48" x 2 pieces, hardwood trim(Home Depot $1.67 each)
  • #4 x 5/8" x 20 pieces, wood screws(HD 2 packs of 12 $1.18 each) I tried 1/2" screws first, but case has some padding on back making them too short
  • Can of black spray paint(HD $$3.87- Used about $0.50 worth)
  • Tools used
  • Cordless drill w/small drill bit
  • #1 Phillips driver bit
  • Tape measure
  • Pencil

* If you don't have these simple tools. You are not a real man. Read no further. Just go ask your Mommy to buy you a display case.

Cut trim to proper length, layout spacing, and mark w/pencil

Spray paint trim pieces. Use a scrap piece of trim and marked lines to drill holes through display case backing(5 each line)

This particular case, the frame is 1/4" bigger on all sides, then the visible glass is. One of the finished pieces of trim will be used on the bottom inside of the case.

Screw through back of case to secure trim pieces. You're done (give paint a full 24hrs to dry before filling)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:45:17 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: How to build a $25 display case.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Very nice Rob, awesome instructions.

This is basically the same process I used for my frames as well. Which reminds me..... I need to make some more soon. I'll have to go dig around some local craft shops and see what size display cases they have.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:46 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well done Rob, oddly enough I picked up 6 of these and I'm currently working on my master display wall, I'll be posting picks when it's all done. Great job again!

Those frames are fantastic at $17.50 aren't they, lol.....this was the 16x20 correct?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:42:07 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:01 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Well done Rob, oddly enough I picked up 6 of these and I'm currently working on my master display wall, I'll be posting picks when it's all done. Great job again!

Those frames are fantastic at $17.50 aren't they, lol.....this was the 16x20 correct?

Yea, 16x20. I don't think I would go bigger then this. Full of cards it weighs about 10lbs
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:10:24 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Yea, 16x20. I don't think I would go bigger then this. Full of cards it weighs about 10lbs

Ya, don't want them too heavy.........nice touch going Horizontal with those by the way, hadn't really considered that.  8)

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Yeah...heavy...

I use 5,000-count baseball card boxes for my sealed decks.  They hold 125 each.  I have eight of them.  Yeah...heavy...

My opened decks go into two stacked drawer units from Staples that I customized.  Each has eight standard drawers and two double-height drawers.  Not every drawer is filled, but I'm definitely at about 80% capacity used minimum.  The standard drawers hold 45 decks each.  The double-height drawers - well, I'm not sure, but I have one that has well over a hundred (over fifty stripper decks alone).  Yeah, heavy...

With the average deck of cards weighting in at 3.3 ounces (a little more than 90g), a standard drawer weighs about 9.25 lbs./4.2kg when full, a double-height drawer is probably closer to 20 lbs./~9kg or more, a box weighs in at about 25.75 lbs./11.7kg and one entire drawer unit tips the scales at nearly 115 lbs./52kg.  Yeah, heavy...  :))

I had to remove the wheels from the drawer units because they were breaking off from the strain - I replaced them with adhesive friction-reducing pads so I can gingerly slide the units on the floor when I need to move them.  If they were on a rug, they'd be pretty much immobile.  The units are stackable, which is a plus, but you really wouldn't want them taller than I made them, which is roughly tall enough to reach my pectoral muscles when I stand in front of it, and I'm just slightly taller than average at 5'9" (about 175cm).

I'd love to display my decks.  But I'd also love to display my uncut sheets.  And more importantly, I'd like to remain married and not have my wife throw a conniption fit over my choice of decor...  :))  It doesn't help that we live in a one-bedroom rental.

(I should NOT be complaining, really - I know some people would give their left testicle to have my collection.  It's not mega-outstanding, but it sure is big.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:03:42 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
That setup is genius! I'd been considering building something for a wall display, but that route looks more appealing. Especially since a cabinet is what I'd rather invest time in building. Plus, that's something I could do now, since we are currently renting and I don't have space to build anything. Ideally I'd like to have the ability to display one of each deck, while storing the duplicates.

Don I don't know about my left but maybe my right.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
BTW: what is Hobby Lobby?  I don't think we have them in New York...

Could I trouble you to list the brand names and item numbers of the supplies?  It would help someone looking for just the right materials.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
BTW: what is Hobby Lobby?  I don't think we have them in New York...

Could I trouble you to list the brand names and item numbers of the supplies?  It would help someone looking for just the right materials.

Hobby Lobby is a craft store.
16" x 20" Black Front Loading Shallow Display Case  sku# 217984
Brand is Green Tree Gallery. It says 1/2" deep, but with the glass spacing it is 5/8"+. In general any case that is deep enough, and size is divisible by 4 works pretty good. 12x12-12x16-16x20-etc. 11x14 does not layout well.
I got the trim, paint and screws at Home Depot- I'm sure any hardware store would have what you need. A #4 screw (HD Store SKU # 282214) is about the smallest width wood screw you can get. Don't go with any bigger size screw if your spacers are going to be 1/4" wide. The head of the screw is pretty small, so get a #1 size Phillips screwdriver. The trim/spacers(HD Store SKU # 332016) I found in the specialty moulding section.
Depending on the size of your display case, you may be able to go a little bigger on the material. Painting the trim is optional. Just make sure you do several thin coats, and give it plenty of time to dry. It may feel dry after an hour, and be ok to install. Just don't put any thing you don't want paint on, against it until it fully cures-read your can of paint-24-48 hrs. Also when screwing the trim pieces in. Don't screw to close to the ends of the trim, or it will split. Stay back 1 1/2" or so. If your not use to using a cordless driver. I suggest using a hand screw driver. That way you can feel if the trim is splitting, and can stop before going too far.
Hope this helps.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I just wanted to add one thing to your great tutorial Rob.

I added two small rubber feat to the back side of the frame, opposite the hanging side. Since the hanging side isn't flush with the wall it leans forward from the top. So when you open the case you may start a chain reaction on decks falling out when removing just one. (I have experience in this with my Zippo display, lol) not to mention the door swings open on it's own.

Completely optional of course.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »

magnacat

thanks everyone for the ideas... this thread has been of great help.  :)

i just went to Michael's today, and i wanted to let everyone know that if you are interested in doing this project, they have a deal for "buy one, get one free" on all frames, including these, and up to $229 each. it will only be good until tomorrow night (end of nov. 2), so hurry! you won't need a coupon for this, it is a store deal, but if you only want one, they have a 50% off coupon available now online (sorry i don't have a link)- although, if you ask most cashiers, they would give you one anyway. (that's how i got one)

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So I had the ones Rob used, but went to the store and came across these, I believe they just started carrying them. They are the same size (16x20), but they have an actual "Frame" on them. They are a weathered black, and they also replaced the latch with magnets to keep the front closed. I picked up 2 of them for starters, and thought I would add them to this thread as another option.

I do like these better then the original version, they have a better "Look" to them. Available at Hobby Lobby, just like the others. :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:38:41 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I used a similar approach with a deeper shadow box frame, added shelving and am able to keep 84 decks in one small unit. This one sits on my desk and hold all my "daily users" that I like to pull off and play with during the day.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Great info, great thread! I have one question for those of you who have used Rob's design, or something similar. How do you hang these on the wall since they are so heavy? The frames aren't the sturdiest in the world, so I was wondering if they handle the strain ok. I know that the heavy duty nail/hook frame hangers would work, I'm just more worried about the frame itself, based on the weight. Thanks!

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Great info, great thread! I have one question for those of you who have used Rob's design, or something similar. How do you hang these on the wall since they are so heavy? The frames aren't the sturdiest in the world, so I was wondering if they handle the strain ok. I know that the heavy duty nail/hook frame hangers would work, I'm just more worried about the frame itself, based on the weight. Thanks!

You'd be best off using heavy anchors, unless you have a stud finder and can screw them right into the studs.  I like these anchors from Home Depot that butterfly open inside the wall - each supports up to 75 lbs.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

I use these all the time, very easy to secure, very clean and very strong.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
How about the frames? They usually have the little loops on the Masonite back panel. I was wondering if anyone used anything more substantial, or if that was enough?

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 01:43:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I use these all the time, very easy to secure, very clean and very strong.

The ones I use operate by the same principle, but instead you drill a hole, insert the anchor, pull a pair of zip strips to cinch it up to the back of the sheetrock, snap off the strips and use the included metal screw for hanging or securing whatever it is you want to hang or secure.  They're wicked strong - I mounted a medicine cabinet in my bathroom using just two of them.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
How about the frames? They usually have the little loops on the Masonite back panel. I was wondering if anyone used anything more substantial, or if that was enough?

I would recommend checking them before you hang/mount the frame. The ones on the frames Curt and I are using are pretty strong, but I'm sure there are some that aren't. Worse case scenario you can remove the existing ones and use something else. I think the "Loop" type work best, especially if you use a screw with a head on it and one of the anchors that have been discussed and not a nail.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sounds great, thanks! I have about 10 of these to hang initially, and i wanted to make sure before I got too deep into the project.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
A couple of our members were talking about buying this display in another thread. One of the places you can get it is Collectable Playing Cards
$129.95 + shipping of $4 to my home. (didn't buy) Shipping seemed really low. USPS.com price for package of this size is $16-$24.
It holds 60 decks and is approximately 31"x20". It's 100% acrylic. I'm sure the display weights almost nothing, but 60 decks is something else. The price seems high to me considering it's all plastic. It has an inherent flaw as well. The acrylic(plexiglass) front is only supported on the bottom and top rails. The sides are not supported so that it can slide back and fourth to open the case. Large pieces of plexiglass bow over time if not fully supported. The plastic hangers on the back do not impress me either.

So the question is, as Don would say, if I can build a better mouse trap.
If I can build a better display for about the same cost or less. Would anybody be interested in buying one?
If so, how many decks would you prefer it to hold?
Black-Stained wood?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 02:55:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A couple of our members were talking about buying this display in another thread. One of the places you can get it is Collectable Playing Cards
$129.95 + shipping of $4 to my home. (didn't buy) Shipping seemed really low. USPS.com price for package of this size is $16-$24.
It holds 60 decks and is approximately 31"x20". It's 100% acrylic. I'm sure the display weights almost nothing, but 60 decks is something else. The price seems high to me considering it's all plastic. It has an inherent flaw as well. The acrylic(plexiglass) front is only supported on the bottom and top rails. The sides are not supported so that it can slide back and fourth to open the case. Large pieces of plexiglass bow over time if not fully supported. The plastic hangers on the back do not impress me either.

If I can build a better display for about the same cost or less. Would anybody be interested in buying one?
Black-Stained wood?

A simple solution to the support problem is to fasten a string to one side, preferably at the same height as one of the shelves and run the string across the entire width of the case to the other end, where you install some kind of latching mechanism for holding the string in place.  A good string to use would be high-test fishing line - you can get one that's exceptionally fine yet still strong enough to hold the Plexiglas cover in place and keep it from bowing.  The latching mechanism would allow you to easily open the cabinet for making whatever substitutions you want.  Want more support, or want to use a finer fishing line?  Make two string supports by the same method.  The likeliest place to put them would be just above and below the middle row of cards, in line with the shelves.  If you're worried that attaching the string's ends to the cabinet will somehow cause the Plexiglas to crack, attach it to the wall instead, or simply use cyanoacrylate glue, epoxy, water-activated glue such as Gorilla Glue, etc. rather than driving fasteners into the cabinet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:57:32 AM by Don Boyer »

Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
It is important to take good care of your collection and handling and storage of your cards are key elements of proper care. When showing or looking at your decks be careful as you handle them, especially as you remove or replace them in their boxes and wrappers. In fact, many collectors store old wrappers in albums rather than risk damaging them as they look at their decks. If you have sealed decks - keep them that way. You can usually find pictures on the internet if you want to actually examine the cards.

There are a number of stationery and archival stores where the packaging you need can be obtained. We can’t emphasize too much the importance of using good archival materials (albums, wrappers, boxes, etc.) in storing your decks, especially your old and rare ones. After all, playing cards and their packaging are paper products and paper deteriorates with age. We owe it to ourselves, and those coming behind us, to do our absolute best to make sure our decks stay in the condition that we found them in for as long as possible.

There are a number of ways to store decks, including archival boxes, cases and spool cabinets or other chests with flat drawers. Decks that have no boxes should be packaged in some kind of protective cover, whether a plastic box, a paper wrapper, homemade box, etc. Elastics, unless of the new archival type, should never be used on a deck as they deteriorate with time and can cause considerable damage. Again, proper storage helps decks stay in their present condition longer and helps preserve them for the enjoyment of our future collectors.

Pictured is a nice old card rack from a private club.

Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
There's a valuable new widget that's been developed - that you're well aware of but some may not be - that's a boon to antique and vintage deck collector.  Those new pack jackets are perfect and purpose-built for the preservation of playing cards, both in box and loose.  No collector - especially no vintage collector - should be without them.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
For single card storage, I've seen the plastic card protectors that go in a 3 ring binder. Some of these say archival quality, but who knows. Is it certain types of plastics that are good, or is it a coating that makes it archival?
I've also seen the hard acrylic single card holders. In general are those ok to use, or some archival, some not?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
For single card storage, I've seen the plastic card protectors that go in a 3 ring binder. Some of these say archival quality, but who knows. Is it certain types of plastics that are good, or is it a coating that makes it archival?
I've also seen the hard acrylic single card holders. In general are those ok to use, or some archival, some not?

In general, fir protecting cards individually as opposed to in a tuck box or as a whole deck, UltraPro is the industry standard used by collectors of sports and custom gaming cards.  Certain plastics have a chemical that can trigger premature decomposition of the paper, but UltraPro's products use a completely pH-neutral plastic.  Their products are easily spotted - they're all marked with holograms of the company name/logo.

I've used the hard acrylic holders myself - but I've used them with UltraPro card sleeves between the card and the acrylic.  Not only is it an easy fit but it makes later extraction of the card from the holder simpler, as the sleeve will usually extend just enough past the opening to allow one to pinch and pull the card out without even making contact with it.

In a previous lifetime, I was a collector of CCGs.  I actually had a friend who got into "Magic: the Gathering" back when First Edition was still for sale and Arabian Nights (the game's first expansion) had only just been released.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 01:20:55 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Just want to say thanks for posting the instructions for the card display.  Tonight I went to my local craft store and they did not have the same size you suggested so I had to get a slightly smaller size.  I posted a pic of what I have so far.

Since the frame is smaller I had to position the decks were they are stacked on each other and the wood is separating them on the side giving it a nice snug fit but the cards are not resting on the wood.

My question is do you think over time this may harm the cards?  I don't think it will but I wanted to make sure before I moved forward. 
What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't forsee any issues with having your cards like that. Most people store them resting on one side or another, and the bottom would be no different. Almost all of my decks are on shelves, resting on the bottom of the box.

Nice choices in there, btw ;)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I don't forsee any issues with having your cards like that. Most people store them resting on one side or another, and the bottom would be no different. Almost all of my decks are on shelves, resting on the bottom of the box.

Nice choices in there, btw ;)

Sounds good Thanks for your feedback. I purchased two frames so I will get started on the other one then. 

Your cards are in my top favorite cards of all time had to represent them in the frame :)  Your work is a big inspiration, I strive to get my deck completed and then one day my deck will be in collectors frames as well. (I hope)  :) 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

Duke Boy

I think I just found my weekend project.  The frames are even on sale this week.
10 - 4 over and out

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Just a small cabinet living its second life as a card display.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
That's a nice one. I like the angles of the shelf backs which gives a great view. We have found over the years that that old thread [spool] cabinets are pretty good with the shallow drawers. Here's one.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
There's a valuable new widget that's been developed - that you're well aware of but some may not be - that's a boon to antique and vintage deck collector.  Those new pack jackets are perfect and purpose-built for the preservation of playing cards, both in box and loose.  No collector - especially no vintage collector - should be without them.

The 52+ Joker (w/ help from the ECC) have their own Pack Jackets (members only).

What looks like black ink in the photo, is actually silver foil. They are pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:13:07 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I like the idea of re-purposing especially when it gives such a refined look as the cabinets you have there Tom. I found a cheap storage solution that works perfectly for playing cards. I see these cassette storage drawers almost every time I go in to goodwill and picked these up for three dollars. I will eventually paint them, but as they are on my closet shelves at the moment its not a priority. Like I said, they work perfectly. The slots are a perfect size and it keeps everything clean and organized as you can see in the photo.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I like the idea of re-purposing especially when it gives such a refined look as the cabinets you have there Tom. I found a cheap storage solution that works perfectly for playing cards. I see these cassette storage drawers almost every time I go in to goodwill and picked these up for three dollars. I will eventually paint them, but as they are on my closet shelves at the moment its not a priority. Like I said, they work perfectly. The slots are a perfect size and it keeps everything clean and organized as you can see in the photo.
That's a great idea Josh. We will be at our version of same - called variety village - here in Toronto tomorrow. These will be great for a lot of traders we have in cardboard cartons right now.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Those cassette drawers are awesome Josh. I'll definitely be on the lookout and try to snag a couple of those. As much as I like the shelving I have built to display my decks, I do need something that I can use to tuck other decks from my collection out of the way. Thanks for sharing that idea.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:14:30 PM by Curt »

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »

jupiter3

• 52 Plus Joker Member
"Barrister" style cabinets provide a great way to display parts of a collection.  Use "library" style glass to cut down on the UV rays that can get to the cards.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Those are great - and good advice re the special glass.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 01:10:52 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Did you find the 16 x 20 frame?  Where?
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I wouldn't even consider painting them!  They're not just a great way to hold your decks, but a reminder of 1970s and '80s design.  People love that retro look these days.  The plastic itself provides enough protection without needing a layer of paint or varnish, like you might use with wood.

Now I'm going to have to check out thrift stores for these.  It's also possible that old VHS cassette storage units would work - you might get as many as four decks in each cassette slot.

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »

Duke Boy

I found it at hobby lobby, I sent my wife on friday, they only had 2 and did not want to chance it, they even had it at the 50% off so I got it for the $17.50 too.  I could not find the same trim he used I found 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch shoe (rounded) that was a white composite plastic.  I liked the look of the white so did not have to paint it.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=664243606965326&set=pb.161635253892833.-2207520000.1390853308.&type=3&theater
10 - 4 over and out

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Looks good!  I couldn't find 16 x 20 front loading frame so I had to go with 14 x 18.  I think this week I am going to drive to a hobby lobby because the craft store down the street did not have 16 x 20. I want to build another one.  So the wood is acting as a divider of the decks on the sides of them and they are stacked on top of each other.  Still looks cool but could not fit as many decks in the frame.  Also I was concerned that the decks stacked on each other over time would harm the decks but the feedback I have received, I think it will be ok. 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I keep my marked card collection in an old repurposed library card catalog. This one is upright (and uncommon). It makes me happy just to look at it!

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »

jupiter3

• 52 Plus Joker Member
That's sweet !!  Those card catalogs are hard to find these days. 
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I keep my marked card collection in an old repurposed library card catalog. This one is upright (and uncommon). It makes me happy just to look at it!

I see similar units like this all the time for sale in antique stores $$$$$
Every time I see one. I think what the hell would someone use that for. DUH!
That is awesome. Judging from how many decks in the 1 drawer, looks like that would hold 800+ decks.
Are those plastic bags each deck is in? and where from? The bags look open. Any reason for that as opposed to folding over to semi-seal?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:05 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Wow, kudos to everyone....some great re-purposing of goods goin' on! Some really great ideas  :)

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I never fail to be impressed not just by the size of your collection, but the neat ways in which you store the decks!

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 05:51:26 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
a small collection of mine  ;)
storing and displaying all my decks in wood shelf and acrylic case  ;)

"Behind every great King there's a great Queen"
www.threeofclubs.net
Aquila Playing Card : https://www.facebook.com/AquilaPlayingCards

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 06:11:10 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Wow, Some really great ideas here! I'm kicking myself for recycing my old cassette tape holders a couple years back. Ugh. Off to the goodwill store! LOL
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

I see similar units like this all the time for sale in antique stores $$$$$
Every time I see one. I think what the hell would someone use that for. DUH!
That is awesome. Judging from how many decks in the 1 drawer, looks like that would hold 800+ decks.
Are those plastic bags each deck is in? and where from? The bags look open. Any reason for that as opposed to folding over to semi-seal?

Not every drawer is full. I think the collection is closer to 500 decks of marked cards but the cabinet could hold about 22 per drawer and my set has 56 drawers.
Do you see upright ones all the time? I see the regular ones that requires the decks be laid on their sides all the time but not ones like this. Either style works though.
I do use archival bags (from https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3103-trading-card-set-sleeves-25mil-polyethylene.aspx) and I don't seal them with tape or anything as I hate tape anywhere near my collection. If I just tuck them down they don't stay.

I also am using repurposed old pharmacy tobacco cabinets. This one has glass doors, perfect compartments for decks and a hidden, zinc lined compartment that keeps moisture out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:55:06 PM by WKalush »

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I've also used old microfilm cabinets with vertical drawers. I put mine on a movers dolly so that it doesn't stay in the way.

bk

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 05:55:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Bill, you have all the neatest toys!  :))

Microfilm cabinet?  Where does someone find one of those anymore - was the NSA having a joint garage sale with the CIA?

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

Microfilm cabinet?  Where does someone find one of those anymore - was the NSA having a joint garage sale with the CIA?

I happened on to that 20 years ago at an auction when Upsala College closed in Orange New Jersey. It had 40 years of the New York Times on microfilm in it! The microfilm is long gone! And just old decks of cards are in it now!

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I happened on to that 20 years ago at an auction when Upsala College closed in Orange New Jersey. It had 40 years of the New York Times on microfilm in it! The microfilm is long gone! And just old decks of cards are in it now!

That's awesome!

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Bill, what is your ballpark estimate for how many decks you have all together? 
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Now THAT'S a dangerous question...  :))

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2014, 12:28:10 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

I'm afraid I don't know. Too many is the only accurate answer. If you count the decks I've saved from my production as well as the decks I've collected (en masse sometimes). I might have 25k. It sounds insane...

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

I'm afraid I don't know. Too many is the only accurate answer. If you count the decks I've saved from my production as well as the decks I've collected (en masse sometimes). I might have 25k. It sounds insane...

If you ever need help cataloguing you could round up a group from the forum and we could have a get together haha.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty

If you ever need help cataloguing you could round up a group from the forum and we could have a get together haha.
I'll bring the beer.
- Adam

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

We actually catalogued it about 9 years ago but it's totally out of hand again!

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2014, 12:34:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

We actually catalogued it about 9 years ago but it's totally out of hand again!

I'd be interested in seeing how you cataloged the entire collection.  It's giving me ideas...

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2014, 07:46:53 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

That is very cool! You do have some very awesome storage.

And 25K decks?!?!  :mindf-ck: Wow! I can't even imagine how much space that must take up. LOL I'm laughing at myself and how I'm struggling to find spots for my 400+ decks.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Here is a Plexiglas case that has been discussed in other posts that we really like for display.

Tom Dawson

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:23 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like that.

Tom, what's that deck in the 2nd row from the bottom in the middle which looks like a Welsh or Airedale Terrier?
Thanks,
James

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm laughing at myself and how I'm struggling to find spots for my 400+ decks.

That's easy enough if your collection is that small.  Sports cards collectors have this thing called a "monster box" - a white cardboard box separated into five columns with a total storage capacity of 5,000 trading cards.  That same box will hold 125 standard-sized decks (poker/wide or bridge/narrow) easily.  Four such boxes would fit the whole collection with some room to grow.

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually exactly what I'm using. I have 5 of those boxes now (well, 3 of the 4 row, and 2 of the 5 row - they somehow seem to fill up fast!), and I meant I have so many other "collections" I can't find space for my cards in my office. I need to downsize some of my other stuff. LOL.

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I like that.

Tom, what's that deck in the 2nd row from the bottom in the middle which looks like a Welsh or Airedale Terrier?
Thanks,
James
It's a wide Congress from about 1910 named Airedale. They had five or six different dog backs including Collie and English Setter pictured, Bulldog etc.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually exactly what I'm using. I have 5 of those boxes now (well, 3 of the 4 row, and 2 of the 5 row - they somehow seem to fill up fast!), and I meant I have so many other "collections" I can't find space for my cards in my office. I need to downsize some of my other stuff. LOL.
That's what we want to hear!  More cards and less extraneous matter!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So I finally got around to finishing a few of my Hobby Lobby frames, not sure what direction I want to go as the collection grows, but happy with having what I have on display.

This is my little corner of the house, any of you who are married, have children or in a serious relationship know what I mean, lol

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Keep them out of the direct sunlight!

I'm envious unless you tidied up for the pix. My comparable space, no longer likely to be trashed by children and grandchildren [as I have a lock on the door!] is still a constant mass of cards, paper, ephemera, etc. etc.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Keep them out of the direct sunlight!

I'm envious unless you tidied up for the pix. My comparable space, no longer likely to be trashed by children and grandchildren [as I have a lock on the door!] is still a constant mass of cards, paper, ephemera, etc. etc.

No, no, I didn't tidy up......but you can't see inside the cabinets or under the desk  ;D

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for this, I really like this idea.  I was planning to simply use some small dual set wooden boxes with glass covers to store and display, but still be ready for use.  Although, as my small (under 20 collection) gets larger I am moving into more art worthy cards and those that I may just want to display instead of use.  Still, I don't plan to keep any sealed in the box as I want to fully enjoy them (and don't plan to buy duplicates).  So I was thinking of using this shadow box idea with a hinged glass front and a simple lock (kids), but have the deck and also the court (not sure about Ace) and backs displayed.  Somewhat like this photo.  I would imagine this solution would also work great for that, but likely would need a small ridge added at the front of each shelf or something in front of the loose cars.  I'm thinking maybe just a small shallow rip on the table saw to slightly set the card in maybe.

Problem would be that with this frame that would limit me to just 4-5 decks per box and my chosen space is really limited to maybe 2-3 boxes of this size.

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:

I have seen archival bags before, but what specific ones are you using here? They look ideal to the purpose.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:50:36 PM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I understand the desire to show off more than just the packaging, especially with the more artistic of the custom decks.  There may be a simple solution.

Have you considered one of those digital picture frames?  You know the type - they can be set to cycle through a library of prints that you load as image files into the device's memory.  You can snap photos of the cards you like from a particular deck along with the tuck box itself, leaving you with a rotating display of your favorites, then use the shadow boxes just for holding decks.

What do you think?

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
So I finally got around to finishing a few of my Hobby Lobby frames, not sure what direction I want to go as the collection grows, but happy with having what I have on display.

This is my little corner of the house, any of you who are married, have children or in a serious relationship know what I mean, lol

What Hobby Lobby frames did you use?  Wondering if they are front loading shadow boxes.  I looked at Michaels near me and all they had was a few smaller ones.  Hobby Lobby is a bit out of the way, but maybe it's worth it?

Thanks!

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I understand the desire to show off more than just the packaging, especially with the more artistic of the custom decks.  There may be a simple solution.

Have you considered one of those digital picture frames?  You know the type - they can be set to cycle through a library of prints that you load as image files into the device's memory.  You can snap photos of the cards you like from a particular deck along with the tuck box itself, leaving you with a rotating display of your favorites, then use the shadow boxes just for holding decks.

What do you think?

Thanks, that could be a good idea for some and maybe if I end up with tons of them.  However, I don't/won't end up with that many decks that I'll feel the need to display.  I'm thinking maybe 3-4 frames like what Sparkz posted should be enough in the space I have picked out for them.  I really like the idea of having a front loading case with shelves so I can easily swap them out if desired. 

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
However, I don't/won't end up with that many decks that I'll feel the need to display.

You sure about that?  :P I always plan to have lots of extra empty spaces/slots in my display...just in case.  ;)

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

What Hobby Lobby frames did you use?  Wondering if they are front loading shadow boxes.  I looked at Michaels near me and all they had was a few smaller ones.  Hobby Lobby is a bit out of the way, but maybe it's worth it?

Thanks!

They are front loading frames. whether you get a small or big frame doesn't matter. If the sizes are divisible by 4, it should work(12x16, 16x20, etc) You might want to take a hand full of decks with you, when looking.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

Thanks!

I went to michaels at first and their front loading frames are smaller than what most people are posting on here.  So I returned the unused frame I purchased and I drove out of my way to go to Hobby Lobby to get the bigger front loading frames.  I like the Hobby Lobby frames better and it was a few bucks cheaper than michaels.  I got the Hobby Lobby frames for 50% off.  Working with both frames I would suggest Hobby Lobby frames.

Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:

Thanks!

I went to michaels at first and their front loading frames are smaller than what most people are posting on here.  So I returned the unused frame I purchased and I drove out of my way to go to Hobby Lobby to get the bigger front loading frames.  I like the Hobby Lobby frames better and it was a few bucks cheaper than michaels.  I got the Hobby Lobby frames for 50% off.  Working with both frames I would suggest Hobby Lobby frames.

Thanks for the update.  I'll have to stop in at Hobby Lobby next time I'm near one - none in my city, but they are in cities I visit from time to time.  I am leaning towards just creating a custom set of exact sized display cases for my needs.  I have to create bar cabinets, in wall bookshelf and wall display case for my car model collection as part of my basement finishing anyhow so this would just be another as long as I have the table saw setup and have the help from father in law...then again, with as much work as that will all be it would be good to have the option to just buy something that works and get it over with!  I'll see if maybe what they have will work for what I need, thanks again.  I just need to quit buying decks before I run out of space before I even have the storage bought/built!!!!  ???

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Better than my shoe boxes. Off to a thrift store I go.

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »

Seadragon

• Newcomer
  • I finished my last two years of high school at Rac
If this was covered I apologize, I went to a Hobby Lobby store here in KY and found a front load side hinged with clasp glass front 16"x20" case that will hold 30 decks and the are awesome. A big plus is that the Hobby Lobby stores will almost always have a half off these display cases at around $19.99 as compared to the same case other places at $39.99. here are a few pictures of some of the 6 cases I have.
Rick L. Rose

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
If this was covered I apologize, I went to a Hobby Lobby store here in KY and found a front load side hinged with clasp glass front 16"x20" case that will hold 30 decks and the are awesome. A big plus is that the Hobby Lobby stores will almost always have a half off these display cases at around $19.99 as compared to the same case other places at $39.99. here are a few pictures of some of the 6 cases I have.
These look great and you can't beat the price. Thanks for the info
Tom Dawson

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
@Seadragon, I assume you used a method similar to what is discussed in the thread linked below?  If you used other methods or have other tips it would be appreciated!  I'm leaning more and more to having at least a few of these created.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/how-to-build-a-$25-display-case/

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
When using the Hobby Lobby frames, has anybody tried removing the cushion backing first?  It's definitely a compression fit between the glass and the cards, not to mention this prevents the screws on the back from allowing the 'shelves' to make tight contact with the back.  I was thinking of using a razor blade to cut it out from the inside, but concerned they may have also used adhesive to keep it in place and it may end up being quite the mess.  I assume worst case I could shave all the padding out and replace the white fabric to cover up the mess, but hoping this has already been done and it's simple?

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
When using the Hobby Lobby frames, has anybody tried removing the cushion backing first?  It's definitely a compression fit between the glass and the cards, not to mention this prevents the screws on the back from allowing the 'shelves' to make tight contact with the back.  I was thinking of using a razor blade to cut it out from the inside, but concerned they may have also used adhesive to keep it in place and it may end up being quite the mess.  I assume worst case I could shave all the padding out and replace the white fabric to cover up the mess, but hoping this has already been done and it's simple?

hey ecNate, I've removed the backing on a couple. It should pull out, but it will leave some glue trails. Very simple to remove, The surface will need to be painted or covered because it is a little unfinished.............Good Luck!

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the input.  I took out the screws on the back and on my version of the HL frame anyhow it was simply a foam backing with fabric glued to it that was just screwed in with the backing, so the foam was able to be simply removed with no byproducts.  I am cutting the foam into strips to place on the edges and raise the back out at the same prior level which will then provide a more direct contact for the shelves while providing a bit more room for the decks.  The backing is brown so I'll just paint that with the shelves, although 98% of it will be covered by decks anyhow.

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the how-to Rob and input from all the others!  I picked up a pair of the Hobby Lobby shadow boxes a week ago and over the past week completed the modifications.  The permanent display wall isn't yet built and the temporary one in my office requires removing some unused furniture first, so photo of them on the ground it is!  This is most of my small collection, just missing some plain and a few custom decks that are used for play and the uncut sheets.  Not to mention the HUGE list still on the way from KS and other places.  Going to have to make some decisions or build more of these I fear.... ;)

A few extra comments on the build process if it helps others.  My local hardware store didn't have hardwood trim in the style presented so I had to use pine screen molding which is obviously a bit softer and has 2 rounded edges.  I had a heck of a time lining up the holes and this wood REQUIRED pre-drilling to prevent splitting.  I found the trick to be measuring out uniform holes and drilling those on the back of the frame (remember drill from the FRONT side to keep up appearances - back will have 'exit wounds'), then inserting the bottom row of screws and using them to 'score' each pre-cut and painted shelf by pressing it against this row.  In that way I could use it as a template for the pre-drilling into each shelf.  To screw in each shelf I then did each screw in order partially and could use the pre-drilled hole to find the proper position.  Given the VERY limited margin for error on such a thin board (1/4 inch is all it can handle, would have preferred to go with 1/2 inch) this was important and I still had a few minor deviations that will require touch up paint if I get OCD enough about it. Once filled though you really only see the front so not a big deal.  I also removed the foam backing to allow more depth for the decks without being pressed against the glass.  I also then cut that backing into strips and placed on the edges of the frame in back which pushed the back of the frame out a bit to allow the cards and shelves to sit just a little deeper.

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Seadragon, I assume you used a method similar to what is discussed in the thread linked below?  If you used other methods or have other tips it would be appreciated!  I'm leaning more and more to having at least a few of these created.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/how-to-build-a-$25-display-case/

As you can now see, I've merged the topics together in the Source - it seemed appropriate to have the data all in one topic on one board, and this is the home of the best topics here.  Nothing is more basic to a collector than how to display his or her collection - besides, perhaps, how to store it, since few people can put EVERYTHING on display as their collection grows and grows and grows...  :))

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The never ending chase for the perfect display led me here, needs some touch up, but pretty much done.

More images on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008782424073
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:11:00 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
UPDATE:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:11:32 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Great display Tony.  Excellent work! 

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great display Tony.  Excellent work!

Thanks KD  :)

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Great display Tony, but some empty spots. Think you had better show up at Potter & Potter auction to fill the blank spaces!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great display Tony, but some empty spots. Think you had better show up at Potter & Potter auction to fill the blank spaces!

Thanks Tom, that would be a great place to do that, lol...........still working on freeing up some time to come out ;)

Card and tuck display
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2014, 03:50:40 AM »

ryzellon

• Newcomer
For the folks who frequent both the PCF and UC boards, you may have already seen this, but for those who haven't: I wrote up a fairly detailed set of instructions on how I constructed a display to show off both a handful of cards and a tuck.

Here's a summary:
I open my decks because I collect cards for the cards. I want to display card faces, but I don't have the money or space for uncut sheets. The basic idea was to create a display to show off both cards and tuck from readily available materials at an affordable price.
  • The simplest display (10" x 18" that only holds cards) was assembled entirely from things found at the local hardware store and cost less than $10. The only tool required was a drill for the holes.
  • The larger display (14" x 10") was sized so that I could get two full displays out of a single sheet of 20" x 32" acrylic that was available at the hardware store. The cost of materials and hardware was close to $10 per display as well, but requires a plastic cutter (which is pretty darn cheap) in addition to a drill.
All in all, it's a fairly simply DIY project and an inexpensive way to display things in a fairly small space, but I'm still refining the design.

Re: Card and tuck display
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2014, 06:09:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
We have an awesome topic for such displays - I'm going to add this topic to that one.

Nice work!

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »

ryzellon

• Newcomer
Glad you like it, Don.

Sorry about the location--I'd posted in the same forum where I found the $2 single-deck display stand thread.

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Glad you like it, Don.

Sorry about the location--I'd posted in the same forum where I found the $2 single-deck display stand thread.

This topic is pretty "mission-critical" and this board is the home of all things mission-critical.  It's actually set up so only admins can make a new topic here - most often we move the best topics from other boards here when they hit critical mass.

« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I like those - cheap, easy to make and attractive!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2014, 12:15:57 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Awesome idea and instructions ryzellon, very cool!

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
In looking for a large display for my diecast car collection I found this which is very similar to the DIY card case described on page 1 of this thread of which I also built 2.  Anyhow, If you don't mind one that only holds 25 instead of 30 and don't want to deal with DIY it's a good option.  Dimensions look right anyhow to make this work great.

$65 shipped to USA, other colors available.
http://www.displaygifts.com/product/item.php?category=54&item=72

I also see Amazon is a reseller so you can get the oak look for just $53 shipped to USA
http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Football-Basketball-Cards-OAK-CC01-OA/dp/B0033S758Q/

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

Black-Stained wood?

I'd definitely be interested! Yeah, black stained wood would probably be good to start and you can offer more colors later as demand picks up! I'd say maybe 6x5 decks? But really that's just a guess... Do a poll! =)

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • I'm card collector from Moscow, Russia.

• Twitter:
Fantastic topic! Thanks you all, I've got a lot of ideas. I should waste my show boxes asap and make normal storage!
My card collection on PlayingCardDB http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6196

Federal 52 by Jackson Robinson, a TRUE compleat collection
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »

Elite Card Displays

• Newcomer
The TRUE total collection of the federal 52 series.  This set that I have includes all 10 decks, all four coins and all 8 poker chips. ( yep all 8 that is 3 more than you have lol, this includes the three that have not been released) in a custom authorized Lucite case. Take a look and wipe the drool from your chin.

« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »

1greeneyedwonderwoman

• Newcomer
I bought this at an antique store to hold my cards. It was labeled as an oak jewelry box. I did a little research and it looks like it may have been made to hold tools. I have even seen it used as a handgun collectors chest! lol

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice  :)

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
These flat drawer chests are great for cards. We have a few that were used in stores for spools of thread 100 or so years ago. Found a picture of one.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:48:07 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
A local university had some blueprint chests for sale, but they were metal and likely heavy.  Plus as a single deck collector I prefer to have them on display.  Something to keep an eye out for though if you have a large collection.

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I bought this at an antique store to hold my cards. It was labeled as an oak jewelry box. I did a little research and it looks like it may have been made to hold tools. I have even seen it used as a handgun collectors chest! lol

That's a great storage solution. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses jewelry storage for their playing cards. :) I use the black jewelry cases intended for show display because I have several of them from another hobby of mine. Picked them up a long time ago and never used them for their intended purpose because I prefer the smaller size for gemstones. I like these for playing cards though because you can fit two on a standard bookcase shelf and they keep the dust off.

Each tray holds ten decks. I honestly don't remember what I paid for mine way back when, I want to say $20-$25 though. Amazon has them at $40 which I think may be a bit steep, but I didn't dig real hard.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »

Magicman29

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Great Thread and topic, I tried this myself and it came out FANTASTIC! i had a bit of trouble keeping the shelving straight and evenly spaced but overall it came out great.

The other bit of trouble was allignining the screws perfectly with 1/4 inch shelves, it helped to just drill slowly to feel the screw grab the wood.

Great thread guys 8) 8)

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So this past weekend I added some new storage to my little corner of my house, my wife surprised me with a new 8 Drawer dresser for storing my goodies. Its from Ikea and the drawer design and construction is ideal for the added weight of all that paper. You can fit approx. 250 decks per drawer, so I should be OK for a while :)

........the ultimate goal is to overtake the basement completely and turn it into the "Sparkz Card Museum".................one can dream  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:07:25 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
So this past weekend I added some new storage to my little corner of my house, my wife surprised me with a new 8 Drawer dresser for storing my goodies. Its from Ikea and the drawer design and construction is ideal for the added weight of all that paper. You can fit approx. 250 decks per drawer, so I should be OK for a while :)

........the ultimate goal is to overtake the basement completely and turn it into the "Sparkz Card Museum".................one can dream  :)
Nice collection!  Beautifully displayed.
  I like the directional lighting. Do you use any certain type of bulb to preserve the integrity of your decks?  I have a lot of vintage cards on my walls and would like to use that kind of fore lighting on them but I am a little concerned about the damage it may cause. 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thank You Will,

Their small hologen's Will, but I rarely have them on for an extended period of time or pointed directly at the display. They're usually pointed down on my desk, I pulled one up for the pic.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:49:06 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2014, 01:13:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank You Will,

Their small hologen's Will, but I rarely have them on for an extended period of time or pointed directly at the display. They're usually pointed down on my desk, I pulled one up for the pick.

I think you meant "halogens".  I saw "hologen" and thought you bought some Star Wars memorabilia!  :))

Lee Asher's pamphlet on the care and feeding of Jerry's Nuggets would apply to any decks in one's collection.  My personal suggestion would be to use indirect lighting and keep all display items under "museum-grade" clear fiberglass (the difference is that it filters out UV rays).  Keeping the area climate-controlled is also important - Lee specifies the correct temperature and humidity level.

Any time you're protecting any sort of ephemeral artifact, particularly an older artifact made of paper, the keys are a controlled environment, protecting the items from accidental or uncontrolled exposure to:

* light, especially UV rays
* temperature
* humidity - use humidifiers or dehumidifiers as needed for your space
* handling - some just use clean hands while others go as far as white-glove treatment
* acid or other corrosives used in either the substance it's made of or the substance that protects it.

Old comic books were cheaply manufactured on papers that had a built-in acid content, causing the paper to corrode and destroy itself over time.  (Remember, in the early days of comic books, no one ever thought to keep them for more than a few weeks before disposing of them and getting new ones - they were cheap and disposable.)  Archival preservation of old comic books includes chemically treating the paper to neutralize the acid, replacing the rusted steel staples with new, anti-corrosive ones and sealing it all in a neutral-pH plastic material (many different plastic bags not created for archiving also contain corrosives that can destroy the artifact).

I mention the comic books because much of what holds true for them also holds true for playing cards in terms of archival storage.  I knew of a collector who went through the trouble of using a resealer to put a brand new cellophane wrapper on his vintage decks, in order to preserve not just the cards but the boxes they came in as well - they tend to take a lot of damage over the years they're used to protect the deck inside of them.  The only thing that's tougher to find with many vintage and antique decks are (for those that had them) the joker or jokers; then, as is often true now, many people dispose of them immediately when opening the tuck box.

But yeah, I digress just a bit - it's very possible to create a suitable archive for one's collection, assuming you have the space available.

Re: Federal 52 by Jackson Robinson, a TRUE compleat collection
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2015, 06:00:05 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
The TRUE total collection of the federal 52 series.  This set that I have includes all 10 decks, all four coins and all 8 poker chips. ( yep all 8 that is 3 more than you have lol, this includes the three that have not been released) in a custom authorized Lucite case. Take a look and wipe the drool from your chin.

Why did I think that there was only bicycle black reserve note? Now I am missing one!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:00:59 AM by Magasaki »
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

Re: Federal 52 by Jackson Robinson, a TRUE compleat collection
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Why did I think that there was only bicycle black reserve note? Now I am missing one!

The unbranded Black Reserve Note deck was shorted in the print run by USPC - the company allows for +/-10% in their contracts, usually aiming for the plus side, and you have to pay for all of the decks they make on the plus side (and get refunded for decks on the minus side).  Jackson barely had enough to fill all the KS pledges which included them.

It's part of the reason why a roll of USPC pasteboard stock is enough to print 11,000 decks.  Apparently they don't have a method for accurately counting the number of sheets of paper they create, probably just eyeballing it based on the stack's height.  Cut a roll, make four equal stacks, they're probably between 2,500 and 2,750 each.  But as we all know by now, their paper thickness can vary with the weather on a given day.

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Tonight I made something new for myself using recycled materials and magnet.
A hanging display for my playing cards.

It is my very first attempt, very rough idea and completed just about 2 hours. Tell me what do you think, and what else can I do. Thanks
Back for more

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2015, 01:32:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It is my very first attempt, very rough idea and completed just about 2 hours. Tell me what do you think, and what else can I do. Thanks

Um, I'm not 100% certain of what I'm seeing here. In order to evaluate your design, I would need to see more photos. It looks interesting, but I'm not certain if it presents any advantages over a shelf or a shadowbox.

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2015, 02:52:31 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Um, I'm not 100% certain of what I'm seeing here. In order to evaluate your design, I would need to see more photos. It looks interesting, but I'm not certain if it presents any advantages over a shelf or a shadowbox.

I will post more photos later  :)
Initially I was thinking of levitating display, just like inverted version of Phantom Deck Display (http://www.ellusionist.com/phantom-display.html). I don't think there is any advantages over shelf or shadowbox, in fact with this you can display less deck.

To me I just want to showcase the deck hanging (mid air and rotating if possible) rather than just sitting on shelf.
Currently I just don't have enough parts to make it happen yet, hence the first attempt is very straight forward, deck hanging with the help of magnet.
I am going to the flea market this weekend to hunt for more parts and hopefully I can make it happen. There is going to be lots of trial and errors, but I see this as a challenge for myself.

Back for more

« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

Lydian

• Newcomer
I've just bought this box which is on it's way to me as we speak. Nice antique circa 1920's playing card box. Decks raise up as you open the box. Nice little find! Always on the hunt for new ways to display, unfortunately you really have to dig for the ones dedicated to playing cards.

Other displays I have are of the course the wonderful kingswild lucite displays and a couple of nice jackson boxes that I love!

« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2015, 07:09:07 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
I googled "mylar case" and this came up second: http://www.comicase.com/ComiCase--Current-Age_p_10.html

Anyone else use comic book cases to display multiple cards? I'm planning on putting centuries old cards in them, then put them in a cooler and only take them out at night. The cases don't look very classy though. Either that or I put them in a safe deposit box. I don't know how else I can protect them from hot and humid Hawaiian summers.

« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I googled "mylar case" and this came up second: http://www.comicase.com/ComiCase--Current-Age_p_10.html

Anyone else use comic book cases to display multiple cards? I'm planning on putting centuries old cards in them, then put them in a cooler and only take them out at night. The cases don't look very classy though. Either that or I put them in a safe deposit box. I don't know how else I can protect them from hot and humid Hawaiian summers.

65 degrees is around the best temperature, but is it humidity-controlled as well, like a humidor?  In fact, if you head to Lee's website (leeasher.com), he has a "guide" for the care and feeding of Jerry's Nuggets that works perfectly fine for just about any modern deck of playing cards (and most vintage ones as well).

Did a quick Google search, found it: http://hwcdn.net/u7n2x8t6/cds/JerrysNugget/jerrys_nugget_card_care_guide.pdf

« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
Do card boxes act like humidors? I recently bought a Hungarian secret box but I'm not sure if it will regulate humidity and temperature as well as an ice box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOlipj64J8

« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2015, 11:52:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Do card boxes act like humidors? I recently bought a Hungarian secret box but I'm not sure if it will regulate humidity and temperature as well as an ice box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOlipj64J8

Well, that depends on how good a card box, and how good a humidor!

Secret boxes or puzzle boxes don't generally have humidity controls - in fact, they themselves often need to be stored at specific temperatures and humidity levels to keep the wood from jamming up or becoming too loose where the moving pieces meet the non-moving pieces and each other.

When I was mentioning a humidor, I was thinking along the lines of the "full room" sized models generally found in either cigar bars or the homes of the well-heeled cigar smokers.  They're a major luxury, but if you have a collection that you've invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars in, be they cards or cigars, it makes sense to protect the investment.  This is really a luxury hobby, or at the least it can be, under the right conditions!

I don't have a lot of cards on display.  I use simpler storage - do a search here if you're interested in the specific gear that I use, I've written about it many times.  "Sports card" storage boxes that hold 5,000 sports cards will perfectly hold 125 poker-sized decks of typical thickness in their tuck boxes.  I have I think a dozen of those.  Plastic, stackable drawers from Staples conveniently hold about 45 decks to a drawer, the drawers are removable as well as stackable, though I wouldn't stack them higher than the equivalent of a dozen small (45-deck) drawers.  I have two stacked units, consisting of two double-height drawers and eight small drawers each.

...and I'm running out of room...

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »

Sburk49

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
I use these Little shadow boxes. No fabrication necessary. I just rotate the cards I display. Right now I'm feeling Black and White. :)

The box is something i made with a premade box, paint, and ad/gaff cards w/ mod podge.

And I measured, At full capacity, the box can hold 996 decks.

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I use these Little shadow boxes. No fabrication necessary. I just rotate the cards I display. Right now I'm feeling Black and White. :)

The box is something i made with a premade box, paint, and ad/gaff cards w/ mod podge.

So in other words, when you move, that box requires three movers or one Ah-nold?  :))

I just moved into a new apartment, bringing my entire collection (including donated decks that I give away at the hospital) of over 2,000 decks.  The largest of the boxes I transported contained 125 decks, and they were HEAVY.  Your box equals EIGHT of those large boxes!!!

How do you effectively access decks in there?  My largest boxes are flat and hold the cards side by side - no deck hiding under another deck anywhere, so any of the 125 decks can be just plucked out.  However, I don't have the space to lay those boxes out - I stack them, and the stuff on the bottom tends to stay on the bottom!

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »

Sburk49

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

So in other words, when you move, that box requires three movers or one Ah-nold?  :))

I just moved into a new apartment, bringing my entire collection (including donated decks that I give away at the hospital) of over 2,000 decks.  The largest of the boxes I transported contained 125 decks, and they were HEAVY.  Your box equals EIGHT of those large boxes!!!

How do you effectively access decks in there?  My largest boxes are flat and hold the cards side by side - no deck hiding under another deck anywhere, so any of the 125 decks can be just plucked out.  However, I don't have the space to lay those boxes out - I stack them, and the stuff on the bottom tends to stay on the bottom!

1. I didnt think of the weight. You're right it's crazy heavy.

2. I don't EFFECTIVELY access the decks. It's that simple. Lol
Since my collection is still rather small, I am able to separate the practical decks from the ones I just want to save and look at. If you look at the pic you'll see what I mean.

But I like having to remove decks to get to others. It MAKES me rediscover and appreciate all of em. Feel me?

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2015, 11:49:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

But I like having to remove decks to get to others. It MAKES me rediscover and appreciate all of em. Feel me?

That's an interesting point.  It would be difficult for me to work with, though.  I have slack time at work, slack enough that I can play some solitaire or practice some sleight of hand - I typically like to grab a dozen decks or so to take to work with me.  Your model would make finding a new variety of decks to be a little more physical labor than I typically have time for as I'm prepping to run out the door.  But if it works for you - HUA!

« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
The "Carat" acrylic deck display cases are awesome.  Starting at $8 a pop.

Available here:

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=8569.0

(Pictures below by Kai.)

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member

2. I don't EFFECTIVELY access the decks. It's that simple. Lol
Since my collection is still rather small, I am able to separate the practical decks from the ones I just want to save and look at. If you look at the pic you'll see what I mean.

Impressive :) But I wouldn't call 996 decks a small collection :D

« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
I've got nooks in the game room that I'm filling. Here's the top half of the first nook.

I'm doing some rearranging because I decided to try the Bee promo boxes up there. That idea is still up in the air.

Edit: I do effectively access them.  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:41:23 PM by skinny »

« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2015, 01:26:32 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I really enjoy seeing how everybody stores/displays their respective collections.. my dream is to eventually find just the right antique display cabinet for my collection..but until then.. I
Thought i'd show how i store/display my collection.. well PART of it ..lol.. I had this custom made.. 12 drawers on smooth ball bearing sliding rails. depending on how i display my cards.. each drawer could hold 125-150 decks..which the bottom 4 drawers are holding at the moment.. All these addictive kickstarter decks are slowly eating up my vintage space.. :-). The cabinet weighs a ton, but is good and sturdy and a nice way to store and display my collection..

Deck Displays
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2015, 09:55:59 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
New to the forum and woud like some ideas on how you display your decks.

I am currently using frames from Collectable Playing Cards. Are there any others available?
Mike Quinn

Re: Deck Displays
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hello there! The possibilities are endless when it comes to displaying your playing cards. I think it's part of the fun of collecting, coming up with new things that suit my needs for showing a few of my favorites. There is a thread here on the forum with some outstanding ideas.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Deck Displays
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2015, 01:14:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello there! The possibilities are endless when it comes to displaying your playing cards. I think it's part of the fun of collecting, coming up with new things that suit my needs for showing a few of my favorites. There is a thread here on the forum with some outstanding ideas.

I merged it into the topic on displays in The Source - Card Collecting 101.

« Reply #136 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »

Cardini

• The Anonymous Rando!
I've always wanted to build something like this: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/secret-locks-and-compartments-woodworking-magic-tricks/ to store gaffs and packet tricks.

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2016, 01:09:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've always wanted to build something like this: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/secret-locks-and-compartments-woodworking-magic-tricks/ to store gaffs and packet tricks.

Gaff and packet tricks are often the kinds of things you want to keep secret.  While a puzzle box is cool (and could be a great prop for other tricks, like card to impossible place), it might not be best for that kind of stuff.  At the least, it's not exactly pocket-sized...

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »

Cardini

• The Anonymous Rando!
Not for carrying around, but for storage. I mean, sure, you can keep them locked in a filing cabinet, but what's the fun in that? A nondescript box with a hidden magnetic catch, or a drawer with a false bottom would be way cooler. I would also take "hidden nook cut into the drywall behind a painting" as an acceptable answer.

« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2016, 05:28:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Not for carrying around, but for storage. I mean, sure, you can keep them locked in a filing cabinet, but what's the fun in that? A nondescript box with a hidden magnetic catch, or a drawer with a false bottom would be way cooler. I would also take "hidden nook cut into the drywall behind a painting" as an acceptable answer.

A locked briefcase does the job rather well, actually...  I even have a pair of black handcuffs with the long chain, for security purposes...  :))

« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »

Crazy Gizmo

I store my sealed decks in $25 bank penny boxes same size as a standard brick box holds an even dozen. These boxes are stronger and sturdier plus realitivly cheap on Ebay.
I like the smaller boxes so i can organize the cards by category easier.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:24:52 PM by Crazy Gizmo »

It's Time
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
With all the cards I have collected it has become a reality that there must be a better way to display.
So with card frames, display cases, boxes, drawers, book shelves, and many other ideas I've seen. I think the time has come a good display setup needs to be done. If I gave you a magic wand and said create your perfect display. What would it be?
Mike Quinn

« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »

Chuqii

• Standard Moderators
  • Discourse Veteran
So I bought this 1930s secretary with some drawers that I am going to use to store some of collections.  I want to place the decks in the drawers, but don't want them to slip around.  Any recommendations on a type of archival material I can use to line the bottom of the drawer so they will won't move around when I open and close the drawers?

Here'sa  pic of the secretary with one of the drawers open.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

Re: It's Time
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'd have a wall of cubby holes like Zeus did for his figurines in the 1981 Clash of the Titans.

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Cubby holes would be a dream.
Mike Quinn

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2016, 03:49:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I bought this 1930s secretary with some drawers that I am going to use to store some of collections.  I want to place the decks in the drawers, but don't want them to slip around.  Any recommendations on a type of archival material I can use to line the bottom of the drawer so they will won't move around when I open and close the drawers?

Here'sa  pic of the secretary with one of the drawers open.

I'd use either the type of cardboard used in collector boxes for sports cards or perhaps some custom-cut sections of foam rubber of the type often used in camera cases.  The foam would look a lot classier, for sure, and you could make shapes custom to the decks you're storing with more ease.  To make it classier still, you could even cover the foam with velvet, making it look more like a presentation display than a simple drawer.

« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2016, 03:52:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
With all the cards I have collected it has become a reality that there must be a better way to display.
So with card frames, display cases, boxes, drawers, book shelves, and many other ideas I've seen. I think the time has come a good display setup needs to be done. If I gave you a magic wand and said create your perfect display. What would it be?

I've merged your topic with an existing one on the best ways to display and store one's collection.  Have fun reading through the older posts!

« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »

akicer

Using acrylic boxes now for some of my most favorite decks, but these boxes are actually expensive...  I was really thinking of making some wood boxes by myself, just wanna know if some of you have any recommendations? >50 decks are heavy and hard to hang on wall..

« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Hi everyone!

... Love this topic - so many creative ideas!

It took me a long time to develop a display system that I was happy with.  I finally settled on using media storage shelves from Prepac (for CDs and DVDs). they are very reasonably priced and come in a variety of sizes and configurations.  I gave up on bookshelves because the shelves are generally too deep to effectively display small items like cards.

I also use acrylic (plastic?) deck boxes, top-loaders and card stands for my antique cards (left of the TV). For the modern decks (on the right), I just put them directly on the card stands. 

I hope I can inspire others as they have inspired me! ... If anyone wants more info about the hardware, let me know!  Everything is available from Amazon!

Kruser

PS. This week, some repairmen stopped by to look at my furnace.  They saw my card display and were totally blown away!  We ended up talking about card collecting for almost 45 minutes... long enough that they were late for their next service call!  :)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:56:32 PM by Kruser »
"The mind is like a parachute - It works best when it's open." - Frank Zappa

« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
PS. This week, some repairmen stopped by to look at my furnace.  They saw my card display and were totally blown away!  We ended up talking about card collecting for almost 45 minutes... long enough that they were late for their next service call!  :)

Those look fantastic. I like how you've set them up higher than the floor, quite nice. Great Godzilla box set btw.

Haha, I know how that goes. I always find it interesting how playing cards are instantly relatable and that people have so many stories they want to share as they're asking questions about decks.

« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Thanks Fess!

You reminded me that I should mention that the shelving units are perched on top of two "Cubby Benches" - also from Prepac!

Kruser

« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Thanks Fess!

You reminded me that I should mention that the shelving units are perched on top of two "Cubby Benches" - also from Prepac!

Kruser

Ahhh, cubby benches! You've just inspired me to bruise the ole wallet. I need some of those, Thank you Kruser.  :D

« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:11 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I am inspired by some of these ideas. Now to find the time to bring them to life!
Mike Quinn

« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2016, 02:34:15 PM »

akicer

another good source for all of you guys who are interested in find some good wooden shelves/cases for playing  cards display is some chinese factory/manufacturing company do accept personal design of wooden cases, which is so CHEAP compared to those we can find on ebay/amazon/walmart...

Shipping cost, on the other hand, become the bigger issue lol

« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »

pokereaq

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:
My collection is rather large, so in order to show off everything, I took over a bedroom.  It is covered floor to ceiling. See my pics... these are earlier displays, I change it up constantly.
Lee Donelson

« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
My collection is rather large, so in order to show off everything, I took over a bedroom.  It is covered floor to ceiling. See my pics... these are earlier displays, I change it up constantly.

Looks like you're having a ball with your collection!

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
 ... An amazing collection! I really enjoyed the variety of card-related paraphernalia - like the guitar!

Welcome to the club!

Kruser