You are Here:
Signature Decks

Author (Read 2330 times)

Signature Decks
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »

cardician

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Just had a quick question when it came to signatures on decks.

Do you think having the creators signature on a limited edition deck only increases the value in the future or having the original deck sealed is what most collectors appreciate and/or want?

Personally, I like the decks without the signatures...  Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
 ::)

Re: Signature Decks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Proving a signature on a deck is legitimate can be difficult, but it's pretty obvious if it has been opened or not.  I suppose there are ways to document a signature or possibly analyze, but I don't think having a proper analysis done is worth it.  Plus, depending on where it was signed can take away from a quality tuck. 

Personally though, I open every one of my decks and prefer signatures on the tuck directly with cellophane removed.  However, getting a deck signed is only meaningful to me if it's a select few artists.  I have no plans to sell for profit so I really don't care though.  So yeah, I devalue my collection, but I promise I enjoy it more than many others.  Choices, we all make them.

The signed bands I suppose are an interesting idea and can give best of both?

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There are some who seek out the signatures because they like them.

There are others who feel that they only degrade the value - it's a "damaged" deck now.

It's ultimately something that the market itself will need to decide.

Some signatures, largely those of people who are famous outside of the card collector community (David Blaine is the most prominent example), will have value of their own beyond the value of the deck.  But most simply won't, not unless the designer really make a mark for him- or herself and creates enduring fame.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:19:10 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I actually have several signed decks. Being from the buy two camp- one to open- one to display. I have mine signed on the cello. Like ecNate, it's only meaningful to me, because I have no plans of selling them.
One thing I try not do, is pay for a signature. I think it's funny when someone on KS wants to charge extra for a signature.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I actually have several signed decks. Being from the buy two camp- one to open- one to display. I have mine signed on the cello. Like ecNate, it's only meaningful to me, because I have no plans of selling them.
One thing I try not do, is pay for a signature. I think it's funny when someone on KS wants to charge extra for a signature.

I totally agree. I never get why do people have to pay for an autograph. If it really is that much effort to grab a marker and sign, then i rather not have it.

With regards on the "value" of the deck, it also depends on who is signing those decks. A new designer's signature might not worth as much as an established magician. But ultimately, it is all in the mindset of a collector. I personally think, never get a signed deck if you have to pay for it or expect it to increase in value. Get it only if it has value to you personally.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:29:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
See, that's the key right there - get the deck signed IF and only IF it will have value TO YOU.  Forget the future generations, forget they guy you're going to sell it to on eBay.  If YOU value it, get it.

On the one hand, paying extra for a signature does sound a little silly.  But then again, when you're juggling a project's fulfillment as a one-man show, it does indeed cost some time and effort, so asking a little bit extra for it isn't beyond the pale.  If it's a one-man operation, yes, that is a hassle, but you want to make fans happy.  If you're using a fulfillment center, there's the logistics of getting the decks to you, signing them, getting them to the center, then having the center send them out (or perhaps you send them yourself) - so no matter what, it's not a quick process, particularly if you have many requests for autographs on top of all those Customs forms that need to be dealt with!

It's simply a matter of how much extra - a buck sits well enough with me (assuming I was the type to seek out signatures, which I'm not).  More, only if you're really famous and have a product I want - I've paid extra for David Blaine autographed decks because I wanted the decks and they were otherwise unavailable.

I prefer autographs that I obtained in person - those have meaning to me.  No monetary value - but meaning, sure.  There's a difference...  :))

I'm not even going to touch the entire "on the box or on the cellophane" debate...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »

cardician

• 52 Plus Joker Member

I prefer autographs that I obtained in person - those have meaning to me.  No monetary value - but meaning, sure.  There's a difference...  :))

I completely agree with you Don.

Getting a deck signed by the creator in person would have greater value to me as a collector as well.  I just see more and more Kickstarter projects offering tiers where they signed the deck as a "bonus" at a hefty price tag.  Buskers & Delicious for an example both offered signature on decks.  To be honest, (my personal preference) I tend to stay well away from signed decks.  To me, it decreases the value the minute you remove the cellophane. 

I recently purchased a Clipped Wings deck from a well known card dealer and the description given never mentioned the deck was signed by Emmanuel Jose with the cellophane on it.  I was a little disappointed to receive the deck without knowing that Emmanuel signature would be on it.  Not that I did not want the deck, but having his signature across the tuck box in big black marker now makes that deck an eye sore when displayed.  I enjoy and like the idea of putting the signature on the tuck box as part of the design like his "Curator" decks.

Again, like most mention, it's a personal preference to the collector.  To me, I could do without.  Now if it was a David Blaine Microsoft Deck that seems to be impossible to get your hands on, and was at a convention/outing and was able to obtain Blaine's signature on a extremely rare deck, then by all means, that would be worth every penny to the after market or the collector himself.

Maybe I'm just ranting...

Thanks again for all comments.....

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
However, getting a deck signed is only meaningful to me if it's a select few artists.  I have no plans to sell for profit so I really don't care though.  So yeah, I devalue my collection, but I promise I enjoy it more than many others.

I agree with Nate, signatures for me hold personal value, not resale value. if I have the opportunity to get a deck signed I request it on the tuck itself and personalized if possible, they mean something to me and me alone because for the most part they are people I've had the pleasure of working with or getting to know better.

As for the cost of a signature, as Don said, if your David Blaine, well ya..........it's gonna cost you. But for KS Signature editions, to each his own. For the Aquila Signature Edition, the price was based on the cost and logistics to get all 3 signatures on one deck :)

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
According to one of my customers who was seeking out a deck on eBay, my signature is worth $14. :D

In my experience, most people who want a signature do so purely for themselves, to have a little "personal" connection to the person that made the deck.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
According to one of my customers who was seeking out a deck on eBay, my signature is worth $14. :D

In my experience, most people who want a signature do so purely for themselves, to have a little "personal" connection to the person that made the deck.

Sweet! so I'm about $70 richer for meeting you at the 52+ con.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB