You are Here:
52 Plus Joker Silver Deck - A Few Behind-the-Scenes Facts

Author (Read 4594 times)

52 Plus Joker Silver Deck - A Few Behind-the-Scenes Facts
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Now that the Gold Edition companion to the 52 Plus Joker 2014 Club deck has been released, I thought I'd share a bit of the history of the development of this neat collectible.

At the conclusion of the 2013 convention in Las Vegas, fellow member Jackson Robinson approached the club's executive board with the suggestion that he design a 2014 deck, a concept we quickly embraced! Over the winter, Jackson and I went back and forth discussing a number of his conceptual designs - both for the deck and the case. After several months we decided on a stylish modern deck, with a traditional type slipcase that would appeal to most of the 52 Plus Joker members. We settled on a deck that had traditional aspects, yet reflected the latest chapter in our club's history; a deck to appeal to all of us collectors.

For the courts, Jackson decided to use the ones he developed for all his 2014 designs. Then he specifically devised jokers and a back motif that would be emblematic of the Club; designed a (52 swirl pattern) distinctive, yet traditional style, slipcase; and made extensive use of silver foil on the backs, and especially, on the slipcase.

By the late spring of 2014, prototypes were developed and the manufacturing was turned over to the Expert Playing Card Co. Despite a number of difficulties in producing a high quality deck with so much foil that would be both beautiful, and handle extremely well, Bill Kalush and EPCC were able to achieve these goals and, by flying the final production from Taiwan to China and on to the States, to meet the delivery timetable to the Club's Charleston convention in October.

Join the 52 Plus Joker today, and pick up your silver and gold 2014 Club decks. Your collection will thank you!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: 52 Plus Joker Silver Deck - A Few Behind-the-Scenes Facts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:42:46 PM »

ccralleo

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Any of those decks still available to members?
- Thanks

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Any of those decks still available to members?
- Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
You can order them directly on the 52+ website. Follow the link and log in.

http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Members/tabid/62/Default.aspx
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »

ccralleo

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
The silver edition?

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »

ccralleo

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Thanks for the welcome by the way  :)

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:47:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The silver edition?

The silver edition is the "members only" version and only available by joining the club and using the link you were provided.  Quantities available per member are limited!  The gold edition was made available for sale at the Conjuring Arts Resource Center store.  Some are still left for purchase.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:48:59 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:56:09 PM »

ccralleo

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Great!!! Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:55:11 AM »

ccralleo

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Joined! Sent payment through PayPal  :D

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I thought the idea behind this deck was that it was a member exclusive? I'm frustrated to see Jackson selling signed editions on his website. I had to jump through hoops to get this deck under the expectation it was an exclusive deck for members only that wouldn't be available anywhere, and to a limited capacity. I felt like the expectation was set that you were paying for that exclusivity.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:12:48 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I thought the idea behind this deck was that it was a member exclusive? I'm frustrated to see Jackson selling signed editions on his website. I had to jump through hoops to get this deck under the expectation it was an exclusive deck for members only that wouldn't be available anywhere, and to a limited capacity. I felt like the expectation was set that you were paying for that exclusivity.

Jackson is selling it cheaper than buying it from the club...  how is that possible? just to clear the stock?
Back for more

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Take advantage. It's not unheard of for a designer to sell his decks lower than the sellers...   Maybe that is the stock he was promised in the contract.  He can do what he wants with it.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

Jackson is selling it cheaper than buying it from the club...  how is that possible? just to clear the stock?

The Club Price was originally 45USD plus shipping, so no difference in the original price except the fact that you had to join the club and the club's shipping a little more than Jackson's
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:07:58 PM by Cardfool »

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 04:42:33 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Hey guys,

The decks that were sold through Kings Wild yesterday were Jackson's very limited personal stock that he received as payment for designing the deck. They were priced at $45 + shipping just as they are through the club.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.

The Club Price was originally 45USD plus shipping, so no difference in the original price except the fact that you had to join the club and the club's shipping a little more than Jackson's

Plus membership fees for joining the club
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 05:24:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Plus membership fees for joining the club

You can't honestly think that the only reason to join the club is to get a deck of cards?  A club membership offers so much more.

As stated, if Jackson received a supply of decks as part of his contract, he's free to do with them as he wishes - it's no different than me taking my decks that I purchased and offering them for sale on eBay.  He was very kind to his customers in that he didn't charge any premium whatsoever despite offering an exclusive artist-signed edition - he certainly could have, but I think he didn't out of respect to the club and its offering.

Marcus, were the decks offered part of the serial-numbered set or were they unnumbered?  How many did he sell?  I ask only out of curiosity - in many ways, it represents a subset of a special limited edition.

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Marcus, were the decks offered part of the serial-numbered set or were they unnumbered?  How many did he sell?  I ask only out of curiosity - in many ways, it represents a subset of a special limited edition.

These decks were part of the 500 numbered decks, so the only thing separating them from the others is Jackson's signature as far as I know. That, and the unicorn dust. (Less than 50 decks were sold through Kings Wild.)
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 10:12:04 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

These decks were part of the 500 numbered decks, so the only thing separating them from the others is Jackson's signature as far as I know. That, and the unicorn dust. (Less than 50 decks were sold through Kings Wild.)

So, 50 of these are to be signed by Jackson's stock with some unicorn dust.  And the question is why is he selling them lower than $45?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnK6BFT_2c

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 11:04:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

So, 50 of these are to be signed by Jackson's stock with some unicorn dust.  And the question is why is he selling them lower than $45?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnK6BFT_2c

Not are to be - were.  They're already sold and probably shipped, so I'd hope he already signed them by now...
Not lower than $45 - exactly $45 plus shipping.  And again, not selling, sold - totally sold out.
Guaranteed free of unicorn rainbow fart dust!

It was his "personal stash" of fifty decks.  Seriously, it's not any different than me selling my personal stash, except I'm not the artist, didn't have them signed by the artist and certainly didn't have fifty of them - as the artist, he's the only one outside of the club itself with that many decks.  He could have sold them at a premium but opted not to - you want a reason why, ask him, he's the seller!

You're seeing mountains where only rolling plains exist...