You are Here:
The Discourse has a new owner, and you’re going to LOVE it!

Author (Read 15933 times)

The Discourse has a new owner, and you’re going to LOVE it!
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
GREETINGS TO ALL DISCOURSE MEMBERS AND GUESTS

Hi, my name is Tom Dawson, and I'm the new owner of the Discourse Forum. Together with my wife Judy, we are longtime collectors of old and unusual decks and officers of 52 Plus Joker - the premier American Playing Card Collectors Club. Judy and I are also the authors of the definitive work on early American cards – The Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards.

Like all of you, we live and breathe playing cards!

WHY DID I PURCHASE THE DISCOURSE?

My primary purposes are to provide an environment for The Discourse to continue to grow and flourish,  as well as to venture with 52+ Joker in providing Discourse membership access to a different dimension of playing card collecting and at the same time, allowing the 52+ Joker membership to learn about and understand modern card design and the modern card collector.

Simply put, we all love the same thing – Playing Cards. There’s a lifetime of information to learn from each other, so let’s get started.

Judy and I filmed an interview early last year with local magicians Ben Train and Chris Mayhew for their project Series of Unfortunate Effects. While this video is planned to launch early next year, we would love to let you watch it now. We show you a little bit of our Playing Card collection, and share a few essential tips to help you with yours.

Tom and Judy Dawson on Playing Cards - click image above to watch

Like the clip above, our plan is to introduce new content on unusual, antique, and vintage playing cards from the vast knowledge base of 52+ Joker members' collections and experience as well as from articles published in our quarterly publication, Clear The Decks.

WHAT IS THIS 52 PLUS JOKER ORGANIZATION?

For  those of you who don’t know about 52+ Joker, it  was founded about 30 years ago to enable collectors to share information and buy and sell unusual, vintage and antique American playing cards. Sound slightly familiar?

Judy and I, and many other members of the 52+J, are also knowledgeable about playing cards from other continents of the world. For those who want more information about this great club, please visit the official 52 Plus Joker website and have a look around.

Maybe even purchase yourself a membership as an early gift this holiday season? The club would love to have you!

THANK YOUs

Before I sign-off and let the forums start chatting to a feverish pitch, I want to thank a few people who helped make all this possible:

The Discourse Staff - I'm glad to have you here, and look forward to a bright future together, etc.

Alex Yusupov – You have worked hard to make the Discourse a terrific source for playing card aficionados, and we thank you. You can rest well knowing this forum remains in good hands and will continue to have the benefit of your involvement.

Don Boyer –  Your enthusiasm for playing cards is infectious. It’s an honor to have you continue running The Discourse. Thank you for all your help.

And finally …

Lee Asher – I couldn’t have done any of this without you, and I am excited that you will continue to be my consigliere on this journey. Thank you!

NOW WHAT?

Now it’s time we celebrate in the hobby [avocation!!!] of collecting playing cards. I look forward to meeting many of you on this Forum and hearing your comments, views, and opinions about this exciting collectible we all love and treasure.

Let’s talk playing cards!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:48:34 AM by Lee Asher »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: The Discourse has a new owner, and you’re going to LOVE it!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Tom,

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you're going to get many comments wishing you well, but it's great news to have someone with such a rich knowledge in the history of card design and collecting on board. I look forward to seeing the forum go from strength to strength.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
ABSOLUTELY GREAT NEWS!

There is no way that I can express my enthusiasm about this new update. Tom & Judy will, without a doubt bring an incredible new perspective to this forum. Also having Lee Asher hear too is equally awesome. Can't wait to see what the future has.

AWESOME!
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
ABSOLUTELY GREAT NEWS! Also having Lee Asher hear too is equally awesome. Can't wait to see what the future has. AWESOME!

You make me blush! Thanks Mr. Robinson.

Let the fun begin!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:30:13 AM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Whew!  The cat is finally out of the bag!  :))

Tom, Lee, I'm the one who feels honored, just as I felt when my wife and I met you last year.  It really is a very exciting time to be a card collector and I couldn't be happier that you want me to be a part of it!

Now, who's deal is it?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Tom,

Congratulations!

Wow...!  Discourse will benefit from your wealth of knowledge and experience.

... and Lee Asher...  IMMA BIG FAN!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:49:17 AM by ivan »

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
ABSOLUTELY GREAT NEWS! Also having Lee Asher hear too is equally awesome. Can't wait to see what the future has. AWESOME!

Let the fun begin!

Great to see you here also Lee!
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I'm glad that the cat is finally out of the bag!
It was a hard secret to keep.

I think it's amazing news, and I think everyone will benefit from this.

It was great great meeting you, Judy and Lee a couple of weeks back.
And I look forward to going to my first 52 Plus Joker convention!

Jason
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »

Firdawesome

• True Member
This is such great news. What an amazing time to be immersed in the world of playing cards!

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
This is fantastic news!  Tom & Judy congrats and thank you!  Great to see Don and Lee still on board!  Excited to see what the future brings here at The Discourse. 

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Congratulations!!

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Awesome! I just recently started collecting and can't wait to learn and build my knowledge from such wonderful people.  :) Very excited about this new development. 

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Great news, and both Tom and Judy's VAST knowledge (and I do mean that in the vast-est vastness of the word) will be an incredible asset to this forum. It was amazing talking with them earlier this year and 52PlusJokers is very interested in both sharing what they know, and learning from the new collectors.

This will be a great thing for sure. Welcome!
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!

Let the fun begin!
Such a great thing! Congrats to all, and good to see everyone on board as well.

Tom, Judy, Don, Lee - I look forward to working with you and of course look forward to seeing everyone here in Charleston for the 2014 52+J convention!

Charleston is a fabulous place. I have lived here all my life and Donna & I look forward to hosting the group here. If you have never been to Charleston plan to spend a few extra days, there is simply way too many highlights to fit into a few days

Tom, I look forward to your advance visit coming up here in a few months. Maybe we can put together a group of like-minded people at the same time? I'm up for it!

Congratulations again to all. I see it as the start of a new age in card collecting.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »

volantangel

• True Member
This is brilliant news, cant wait to see what new content the old guys can bring to the new XD

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
A warm welcome to the Dawson family… It will be nice having you here connecting the vintage playing card world to the modern world… All the best!!! -J.Rock

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I feel like a star struck teen amongst playing card celebrities  ;D I can already feel the knowledge growing.

Question for you Tom (and lee) ever considered a 52 plus joker for the Uk? :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well Welcome, Gratz and I'm really looking forward to what ever comes along! I've only been collecting a few months and on he forums for just as long, I can't begin to explain how much I enjoy this place. Great information, guidence and friendship. Now with this new wrinckle it just seems like the best place to be for a Playing Card collector! I'm sure there are quite a few of us who have wanted to delve into Vintage cards and now we have the best of both workds right here.

Very excited to be part of this ever growing community and Kudos to everyone who helped this come along!

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Very excited to see this come to fruition!  We can all finally relax and enjoy a community that we have always wanted! 

I cannot wait to meet up with many of you this next year in Charleston!  Great times ahead!

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Again, thank you guys for making us feel so welcome. It means a lot.

Great question. While the 52+ Joker is the American club, you can join the English Playing Card Society as well as the International Playing Card Society. Both are based in the UK.  Pretty much all the playing card orgs. are friendly, and work together on events & projects.

Now that you have me thinking out loud... Maybe I can woo Christian de Ryck and/or John Sings (exec. board members of the IPCS) to come over here and talk with everyone about the UK orgs.? I'm putting it on my to-do list.

Thanks again for asking your question. Hope that helps!

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Great news..  Now i need to get my long overdue subscription to 52plusjoker   :)

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Well, who would have thought I'd be in the midst of something so great… That is if you collect cards… Great video and thanks for the information Tom & Judy… Should I be that excited that I have some of the decks / cards you had shown on the table???

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 01:01:12 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Don't know what sentiments I can say as they've already all been shared.  Congratulations on the purchase, only great things can happen because of this and I'm looking forward to it all.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular

Great question. While the 52+ Joker is the American club, you can join the English Playing Card Society as well as the International Playing Card Society. Both are based in the UK.  Pretty much all the playing card orgs. are friendly, and work together on events & projects.

Now that you have me thinking out loud... Maybe I can woo Christian de Ryck and/or John Sings (exec. board members of the IPCS) to come over here and talk with everyone about the UK orgs.? I'm putting it on my to-do list.

No no, the idea was for YOU GUYS to come to us, not for you to STEAL away OUR experts  :(

Damn you americans and your meeting up and having fun and not living thousands of miles away...

Seriously though, this is great news for everyone! I always felt the card community was a bit divided between vintage and new deck collectors. I think this change will be very unifying for the community as a whole  :)
- Tom

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hi everyone who has posted a great welcome note. They are much appreciated. Like most people probably would have, I entered into this with some trepidation and concern that it wouldn't be seen positively. Can see that that fear was completely misplaced!

While Lee commented a few posts back that 52+J is an American Club, that is not completely so. It did start in the USA but has spread over the years and we have at least 20% of our members who are in Canada, the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Australia, etc., etc.

So wherever you are, we are not far away!!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
My apologies for not making everything clear. We would love to have you as a UK member. As Tom said, 20% of the 52+ membership is not located in America. Hell, Tom and I are both in Canada!

I simply wanted to show you the UK options, that's all.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
This should be fantastic. Definitely looking forward to what the future holds for this forum with such knowledgeable individuals hopping aboard. I feel the addition of experts in vintage playing cards is what will truly take this forum to the next level.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Hi everyone who has posted a great welcome note. They are much appreciated. Like most people probably would have, I entered into this with some trepidation and concern that it wouldn't be seen positively. Can see that that fear was completely misplaced!

I don't think this community could be more excited or grateful to be a part of this. I can't see any way for this relationship to work out but marvelously!
I've only been a part of this forum for a short time and have gotten an incredibly warm welcome from an amazing community of artists, cardists, magicians and collectors; people who are truly fans on one or all levels of the playing card world and I know that everyone here is as excited as a kid in a candy shop to hear this news!
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Judy, Tom, Lee - Like a few other members that have posted here, I am still relatively new to the world of card collecting and the intricacies of the playing card business.  That being said, in the brief time I've been involved, I have seen all of your names numerous times and always in a flattering light.  This is exceptional news!!!  The depth and breadth of understanding and knowledge the discourse team emits is unsurpassed in this type of forum, and now it seems to have just increased exponentially.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums and can't wait to see what you have in store for the future!

-B
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I'm very excited that the cat is out of the bag  :D Congratulations and Welcome to Tom, Judy, Lee! The Discourse is in great hands :)

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Glad to see everyone is excited about this as I was anticipating! I am really looking forward to the future here at the Discourse, great news!

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

Ah yes, I'm vaguely familiar with wopc.

A little off topic, but here's a link that I think should be watched http://youtu.be/oQ6uhCIaKQA a deep insight into the secrets of the playing card

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
My apologies for not making everything clear. We would love to have you as a UK member. As Tom said, 20% of the 52+ membership is not located in America. Hell, Tom and I are both in Canada!

I simply wanted to show you the UK options, that's all.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
I was just poking a bit of fun, Lee. Probably should've put a sarcasm tag in there somewhere  :P
- Tom

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
A little off topic, but here's a link that I think should be watched http://youtu.be/oQ6uhCIaKQA a deep insight into the secrets of the playing card

Great documentary! The first two guys you see speaking are Yasha Beresiner and Gejus van Diggele. Both are members of the 52+ Joker, as well as the IPCS.

In 2009, I was fortunate enough to see Gejus speak about secondary use playing cards, and sit next to him at the banquet the following year in New Orleans. He's a fan of sleight of hand, and an all-around nice guy. The same goes for Yasha.

As members of the 52, they will be notified about Tom purchasing the Discourse. Maybe if we're lucky, they might come play with us!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:57:36 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I'm rather new at collecting playing cards, so I don't know any of you personally, but I've heard nothing but praise.
Congratulations, and welcome.

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Do you hear that?  Just listen.  It's a gentle wind blowing toward the Discourse at this moment...

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Do you hear that?  Just listen.  It's a gentle wind blowing toward the Discourse at this moment...

Did you fart on us?

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Think I prefer a gentle wind - but might not notice the difference in the sub-zero temps here in Toronto.

Did you fart on us?
Tom Dawson

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Looks like I'm breaking hiatus then.
Really happy about this! Having Lee as an Admin as well is crazy :D

Best of luck to you all :)

-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
So exciting to see the experienced collecting community connecting with modern card design culture!

Is this not rather significant? For us ,largely, modern collectors and designers to broaden our historical knowledge of the art and craft of the making of playing cards will surely be essential to us fully appreciating our part in its ongoing legacy.

I've seen decks from the new design and production scene appear with greater frequency in society journals over the last few years but attending a meeting with the IPCS and WCMPC recently made me think that the vintage and modern collecting communities are still hugely separate, despite their common interest.

This news has made me quite a bit more optimistic that we may become one community which would be truly excellent!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:37:27 PM by Robert Adams »

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well this is a welcome change.
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Badpete69 - Your so bad.  I was trying to sound optimistic, but I must respond to your insult:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBUl7oT9sA or I will taunt you a second time.

Edit:  Sorry, 52plusjoker, but this is to be expected.  We are a family here.     
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:36:57 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »

Barry Hurton

• Forum Regular
Congratulations!

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So yeah, I don't think there's a better fit for who to pass the torch to!

I'll be sticking around as long as I have time to do any staffing/moderation as needed, as well as some back end stuff, for as long as I have time to log in each day and do that!

Being the only gold member here certainly is fun too, I have no idea why I didn't use that color before when we just had an Admin rank. 8]

@Sprouts: Don't think you're off the hook just because we have new owners. You are still on a leash, behind a fence, quarantined on an island called the Lolaq with all your insanity. >_>
Forum Founder.

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Tom and Judy welcome!
Also welcome to the boards Lee, long time no talk. Awesome to have you here as well as the new owners!

- James
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Think I prefer a gentle wind - but might not notice the difference in the sub-zero temps here in Toronto.

Welcome! And it's great to see more Torontoians here! I'm looking forward to a lot of the interesting things I'm sure are to come.

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Fabulous news for TheDiscourse. I'm a huge fan of Lee Asher and am astound with what Tom Dawson has in store for this site. With Lee actually on the site now, we'll have someone to confirm those Jerry Nugget releases that happen every year. ;)
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Fantastic turn of events.  What a wealth of knowledge unleashed on the Discourse.  I agree, the melding of vintage and new deck collectors will help to cultivate the hobby I enjoy.  Kudos Alex on all your efforts in getting this forum to the place it is today.  I know we are in good hands.

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Let the fun begin!

WOAH.

This was quite a shock. It's awesome to have a magician of your caliber on board!

I'll miss Alex, but it's great to see that the new management knows their stuff!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Tom, Judy & Lee- Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.

A special thanks to Alex for creating a place were everyone is welcome- magicians, cardist, poker players, long time collectors, and people just getting started. We have a great forum here because of the work Alex has done. So thank you.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
So, what's new on the agenda? What do you guys have planned? :) maybe a competition for a free JNugg? ;) :p

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 12:07:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'll miss Alex, but it's great to see that the new management knows their stuff!

Alex isn't leaving, at least not for the indefinite future - he's on staff here and helps keep things running smoothly.  I imagine we might see him more, since passing over the ownership will take a few things off of his plate.

Tom, Judy & Lee- Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.

A special thanks to Alex for creating a place were everyone is welcome- magicians, cardist, poker players, long time collectors, and people just getting started. We have a great forum here because of the work Alex has done. So thank you.

Hey, what about me?  [snif]  :))  Just teasing!  Alex was the driving force behind this board from the beginning and things wouldn't be the way they have become now without him.

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Amazing news! Looking forward to what the new year holds.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 02:01:27 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
WOW!!
Congratulations on your purchase Tom,
I've heard your name since while. I'll be happy to be here stay in the Discourse,
and very excited to hear more information and knowledge of playing card  :)

Also welcome to Lee Asher  :)
"Behind every great King there's a great Queen"
www.threeofclubs.net
Aquila Playing Card : https://www.facebook.com/AquilaPlayingCards

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
So, what's new on the agenda? What do you guys have planned? :)

Good man.. love your enthusiasm!

Have you watch the 30 min. interview with Tom & Judy (found in Tom's letter)? Just click the YouTube image, and it should take you to the video. It's even chapter'd in the description.

For those who missed it, and are reading about it for the first time, check out - Tom and Judy Dawson on Playing Cards.

Before the end of the year, Tom plans to put up some sweet images of stuff most people have only read about. However, the majority of new stuff comes in 2014.

Maybe you could help with the dissemination of all the info? PM me, and let's talk. That goes for anyone else interested. PM or email me (found in my profile).

maybe a competition for a free JNugg? ;) :p

You mean a contest where the winner receives 1 single card? We'd need to have 55 contests in order for someone to collect all 52 cards, 2 jokers, and the tuck. Maybe a bonus round for the ripped cello? ;) :p

On a serious note, I think there's already a 10,000,000 page view contest running (found here). I hear you win a singed Exquisite deck (very nice of the CARC). Has everyone entered yet?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:14:26 AM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

On a serious note, I think there's already a 10,000,000 page view contest running (found here). I hear you win a singed Exquisite deck (very nice of the CARC). Has everyone entered yet?

Yes, Bill Kalush did us a solid with that one.  GET IN YOUR ENTRIES FAST, because no new entries will be accepted when the 8pm check shows we've exceeded 9,900,000 page views - I suspect we'll hit that mark before the week is over.  Also, I'm holding a "loser's raffle" among all the people who guessed the wrong date for three Bicycle Americanas from me personally.  I'll sign them if you want, but I can't speak for how it would affect the value...  :))

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Entered!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 06:10:37 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Entered!
Insider trading, I'm calling the SEC!  >:(  LOL  I just threw out Valentine's Day on a lark and Don recorded it, so I'll stand on that hand. :bosswalk:
> Mike <

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Insider trading!

Promise I didn't look! But if I win, someone can have the deck, I just want Kalush's signature. Let's just say some checks need signing.

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Insider trading!

Promise I didn't look! But if I win, someone can have the deck, I just want Kalush's signature. Let's just say some checks need signing.
Ha, ha, ha...  He'll never miss it, that's for certain!  I hear David Blaine is getting ready to unleash some "Gatorback" decks, "pen and ink" design this time.  We'll see - I'm wondering if it's his pen or Mark Stutzman's.  Thinking most likely the latter.  Bill's bound to be in there somewhere...

We're a patient group, and we know you've still got at least a deck or two of those JNug decks up your sleeve. ;)
> Mike <

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Insider trading!

Interestingly enough, the deck itself isn't what's signed!  Bill created a custom deck jacket for the red Exquisites.  Exquisites don't have a deck seal, just the cellophane.  So the package is the still-wrapped deck inside the autographed jacket, which is sll kept in a self-sealing plastic pocket, glued closed.

Entered!
Insider trading, I'm calling the SEC!  >:(  LOL  I just threw out Valentine's Day on a lark and Don recorded it, so I'll stand on that hand. :bosswalk:

Hey, there is a losers' drawing, too.  You may win something yet.

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Thought I would leave my congrats real quick. Congratulations Tom, Judy and Lee! It's very reassuring to know that The Discourse is in good hands and has a bright future. Especially since it looks like Mike is pretty much killing off the UC by banning anyone who has an honest opinion.

It's also great to see so many people planning on going to the 52Plus Joker convention in SC. My wife and I will definitely be attending this year. It looks like it will be a great Forum gathering!

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thought I would leave my congrats real quick. Congratulations Tom, Judy and Lee! It's very reassuring to know that The Discourse is in good hands and has a bright future. Especially since it looks like Mike is pretty much killing off the UC by banning anyone who has an honest opinion.

It's also great to see so many people planning on going to the 52Plus Joker convention in SC. My wife and I will definitely be attending this year. It looks like it will be a great Forum gathering!

Thanks, Randy

See, now I'm going to have to get my wife to come!  :))

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

Thanks, Randy

Where should I go to find information on the convention? Is it on the 52+Joker website?

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Info on the convention?

Good question! The Convention area of the 52+ website is found here. However, we are going through a site transition, and it hasn't been updated with the 2014 convention info yet.

I don't want you walking away empty-handed so you can find info about the convention posted on the UC (Thank you Mike Ratledge!)

When the 52+ Joker site is updated, I'll let everyone know.

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »

Shaffique

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Congratulations Tom!
Feels like two worlds have collided. I am excited to learn and have just bought my first brick on Kickstarter.
Also excited to share knowledge about my main interest - Antique US - Non Standard Playing Cards.

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Thanks, Randy

Where should I go to find information on the convention? Is it on the 52+Joker website?
Good question. Even though in transition, our own website should have some information. We recently concluded a contract with an hotel in Charleston so dates are final and I will remedy the situation with some highlights on the 52+J site. In summary - the hotel is InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel [South Carolina] and the dates are reception evening of Oct. 15th to closing banquet on the night of the 18th.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Congratulations Tom!
Feels like two worlds have collided. I am excited to learn and have just bought my first brick on Kickstarter.
Also excited to share knowledge about my main interest - Antique US - Non Standard Playing Cards.

Shaffique - great to see you here. Suggest you post a few details of your playing card history on the "Introduce Yourself board. For the rest of you I'll give you a hint. Shaffique has no doubt the most extensive collection of American non-standard decks from the beginnings in the mid 1800's until the WWII period. It is awesome!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Congratulations Tom!

Shaffique - great to see you here. Suggest you post a few details of your playing card history on the "Introduce Yourself board. For the rest of you I'll give you a hint. Shaffique has no doubt the most extensive collection of American non-standard decks from the beginnings in the mid 1800's until the WWII period. It is awesome!

- Tom

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Shaffique has no doubt the most extensive collection of American non-standard decks from the beginnings in the mid 1800's until the WWII period. It is awesome!

Oh, so you're a little interested, I take it?  :))

Shaffique, welcome aboard!  As with all new members, I encourage you to create a topic for yourself on the Introduce Yourself board and let the gang here know more about you.  Judging from ol' MagikFingerz here, your dance card's going to fill up quickly!  :))  Most importantly, have fun and don't hesitate to ask if you has a question!

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Congratulation!  Cant wait to learn from all of you!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion for cards!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
As a last little bonus treat, I tossed in some brand new staff rank images. The old ones kind of made no sense, but these do!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Speaking of change how long have you had that french fry on your upper lip?   :)   You have to have some grey hair by now running this board.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:16:01 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Speaking of change how long have you had that french fry on your upper lip?   :)   You have to have some grey hair by now running this board.

I'm actually starting to get grey streaks on the sides of my head, so there you go!

The fry will never change, btw
Forum Founder.

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
As a last little bonus treat, I tossed in some brand new staff rank images. The old ones kind of made no sense, but these do!

Snazzy.

I never did understand what the bar was supposed to be. These ones make loads more sense.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »

Lee McKenzie

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Absolutely fantastic news guys! Huge congratulations Tom, Judy and Lee.

A powerful force moving on into the future. I look forward to each evolutionary step of the way!

Onwards and upwards

Lee McKenzie

Kings & Crooks  |  A Bolder Breed of Playing Cards