You are Here:
Blue Crown Sale

Author (Read 11989 times)

Re: Blue Crown Sale
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Entertaining reading.

Several quotations:

Well, if someone buys decks of playing cards they don't want or intend to use, they have a problem and should seek psychological help.

Don, can you advise some skilled expert?  :)

The term 'use' does not have a linear meaning. I think what Don was trying to get at is that a deck purely for a personal collection is still considered to be of 'use'...

Froggo, don’t try to find a black cat in a dark room. I am sure Don expressed his thought in a wrong way. Unfortunately he is always very emotional defending TBC. And I think that this sometimes affects even his reasonable arguments in bad way.

PLAYING cards are intended for a play. Magic, caristry are a side way to "use" them. But when you collect them - you collect them. Don't invent rhetorical nonsense here. Esspecially those who are native English speakers. In accordance with such logic you "use" them just because you have them.

...It's the stupidest thing in the world to "invest" in a pack of playing cards...

+1

... theres no difference in collecting stamps, ... coins...

There is a HUGE difference. But you are right that some things are common for any type of collecting. As a rule such things are obviously based on people's nature.

-----

Do you know what the best in all THIS is? You and only you can decide to be duped by modern marketing tricks or not to be duped by them. Shakespeare in modern way “To be duped or not to be duped…”

On the other hand there is one really unfair moment in this situation. Some of TBC’s customers are too young to have enough knowledge of life for proper understanding of such marketing tricks. Life is unfair :( But TBC isn’t the company which invented all this.

...this is a kid who doesn't care if he burns the rest of the decks, as long as he got the one special deck.  It's a kid who's either a little unbalanced or has far more money than common sense.

Don, I hope you are still speaking about mature people who act as children in this part of your message. Otherwise I don’t understand you.

Children, consult your parents before spending more than $10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Granted. However you're a collector, while they are a business. It is their responsibility to ensure accurate stock levels. Not for the customers, but for themselves. There's no point ordering 5000 decks of cards, only to misplace 120 of them. That is an indication of poor organisation and inventory/stock level checking. I would expect this of a supermarket where stock is usually stored by department and/or aisle which results in a combination of various boxes of stock, but not a company who has such a niche market.

For example, at the time of writing this post, Ellusionist had 45 different decks of cards, including the limited edition ones numbering 6. I honestly can't believe that they could get hold of 1-2 thousand decks and 'misplace' several bricks of them. The only real explanation for finding them again is at a time when supply is low, while demand is high. This resulting in an elevated market price. A situation commonly referred to in the business sector as 'cashing in'.

To be convinced otherwise, it would be necessary to see the organisation which takes place from receipt of new stock, through to the completion of orders. This would answer may questions, but may also highlight areas of concern/error in the process.

Actually, E has a lot more than that to track.  They don't order "1-2 thousand decks", they order twenty or thirty thousand of everything but the rare ones - and they re-order the non-rare decks when stocks run low.  At any given time, they could be tracking maybe two million decks - if they misplaced just 0.25% of their inventory, that's five thousand - an entire print run of Gold Arcane or Black Ghost 1st Edition right there.  Inventories are rarely that accurate.

The term 'use' does not have a linear meaning. I think what Don was trying to get at is that a deck purely for a personal collection is still considered to be of 'use'...

Froggo, don’t try to find a black cat in a dark room. I am sure Don expressed his thought in a wrong way. Unfortunately he is always very emotional defending TBC. And I think that this sometimes affects even his reasonable arguments in bad way.

PLAYING cards are intended for a play. Magic, caristry are a side way to "use" them. But when you collect them - you collect them. Don't invent rhetorical nonsense here. Esspecially those who are native English speakers. In accordance with such logic you "use" them just because you have them.

Actually, you misunderstood what I was referring to.  For some of the people trying to get the white deck, especially the speculators, those other twelve decks they bought are little more than filler, something to be gotten rid of as quickly as possible.  They didn't buy the decks because they wanted them, they bought them because they had to in order to get the "prize".  Those are the unused and unwanted decks I refer to.  Even if they do manage to resell them, they usually do so at a loss.

I'm not an employee of TBC - my best friend there, Kevin, no longer lives within a thousand miles of me.  I would easily say the same thing if people were complaining about E or T11 for the same reasons.  But they aren't - they're complaining about TBC.  The company continually does what it can to make its customers happy, and a vocal minority continue to complain about it like these guys were evil incarnate.

On the other hand there is one really unfair moment in this situation. Some of TBC’s customers are too young to have enough knowledge of life for proper understanding of such marketing tricks. Life is unfair :( But TBC isn’t the company which invented all this.

...this is a kid who doesn't care if he burns the rest of the decks, as long as he got the one special deck.  It's a kid who's either a little unbalanced or has far more money than common sense.

Don, I hope you are still speaking about mature people who act as children in this part of your message. Otherwise I don’t understand you.

Children, consult your parents before spending more than $10.

I was literally referring to children in that instance.  The majority of the people in this hobby are under the age of 25 - in some cases, much younger.  People who act like children would also fit the bill...

And you're absolutely right about kinds consulting their parents before buying, but I'm thinking most of them won't.  Kids that age tend to be secretive about their lives, especially if they're buying something their parents might consider foolish.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 03:57:15 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
So, my decks came through  ;D i was hoping the luxury decks would be wrapped in that lovely piece of leather that you see when bidding on eBay lol unfortunately it's only wrapped in bubble wrap. Nonetheless, I just love this deck :) has a new seal sticker and the cards in the box are wrapped in cellophane. I cracked open a red and the gold just really shines in your eyes. I'm very happy with my purchase  :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:17:01 AM by brownmagician »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 04:17:06 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Nurul, pictures!
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 07:16:31 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Photos can be found on this link http://imgur.com/a/q5P5e

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Photos can be found on this link http://imgur.com/a/q5P5e

That is pretty sweet.  But while gilded edges look nice, they're hell to use with all those gold flecks going everywhere.

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 08:21:15 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
The deck does not fan well at all though, it's all in blocks

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I'd imagine the gilded edge and how it'd have to be gilded after the deck is cut would cause that issue.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't sold out yet of their rare decks yet.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, but going through my cluttered desk, I found two Blue Crown 2012 holiday scratch off vouchers that I have. I've got one code for 5% and one for 10% that are both valid and unused. If anyone would like them, please PM. First come, first serve.
edit: gone
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:58:22 PM by bhong »

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The deck does not fan well at all though, it's all in blocks

I'd imagine the gilded edge and how it'd have to be gilded after the deck is cut would cause that issue.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't sold out yet of their rare decks yet.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, but going through my cluttered desk, I found two Blue Crown 2012 holiday scratch off vouchers that I have. I've got one code for 5% and one for 10% that are both valid and unused. If anyone would like them, please PM. First come, first serve.
edit: gone

Bhong: when you want to trade something, even if you're giving it away, put it in the STISO.

Yes, gilded decks handle like crap.  They're not supposed to handle well.  The gilding is literally gold paint applied by hand with a brush to the edge of the deck.  All gilt-edged decks are in effect painted into a single brick - they don't just paint the edges individually and spread them out to dry!  They're already the most labor-intensive deck a company can make because of the complete lack of automation - no machine on the market can apply the paint correctly.

I've said this before - gilded decks are for people who like pretty things in their homes but don't like playing cards all that much.  They're meant to sit on an end table or a living room shelf and look attractive, in most cases without ever actually being used.