You are Here:
how do feel after these sales on all these cards, if we call them that.

Author (Read 4477 times)

eggman

• Elite Member
How do you feel? I thought it was kind of crazy. I had a Brown Wynn, JAQK and a White Cent in my cart but decided not to do it. I do not know, was it right of me to dump it. I did get four Black Crowns and those clip cards over at DnD but overall I relized I was going to be making big purchases for the mere fact of obtaining those cards. Do we think their will be no more cards like the White cents or Gold Arcanes? Capitalism says there will be. Do not get me wrong, I would love to own the above mentioned cards but I am trying to seek the new ones comming out now and in the future to build my collection. I guess it is by what you like. It is always nice to have classic decks but alot of future classics are comming out. Just a thought

Re: how do feel after these sales on all these cards, if we call them that.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:18:10 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Well on my end I lost about $1k on Vortex because of people opting for these sales instead. On one hand I understand on the other hand, it's no fun to see your products being put second, especially when every dollar goes a long way to building a future here.

For me I bought well over $1k of stuff, and I plan on selling at least $800 worth of it. I love the Black Friday deals. Looking forward to all my LTD decks too!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I was very strict on myself during the launches for the new decks and T11 promotion last night and this morning. Yes, it would be nice to own a White Centurion and a brick of Black Crowns but as I have said in other threads, I really just did not feel like spending the money in order to get them. I did purchase 2 decks of Black Crowns and 2 Fulton's and I am very excited to add them into my collection. It was not really a money issue for me, I could have gone all out ( maybe not as much as Alex did ) and still be fine financially but I just was not feeling it. Deals like Theory 11 and E have going on really just do not appeal to me much because it would force me to purchase a crazy amount of decks that I would never use and would take up space in order to just receive one harder to obtain deck. I get more excited by extremely desirable releases that I have to try my best to get an order though, its just makes it more like a treasure hunt. ( like the Red Artifice, Pre Release Monarchs...ect )

As I was looking over my collection tonight I realized, in my opinion, how well of a job I have done deciding what decks to add to my collection and at what times it would be greatly beneficial to pick up a few extra for resale. Personally, I like decks that have some sort of cool history behind them. They do not necessarily have to be vintage, although I love me some vintage decks, but can be a simple story such as the major crash of the E website with the release of the Red Artifice. Another thing I have realized when I was looking over my collection is how beneficial having my decks framed actually is. It really creates a space issue where it forces me to be selective if I do not want to have tons of duplicate decks all over my room. So how I have been forced to collect is by what I think will be coming rare and desirable and by what decks really stand out art wise to me, instead of buying up all the new latest and greatest.

I like the fact that the trend, at least in my opinion, seems to be that people are slowing down a bit on the buying every new deck craze and are starting to really think about what decks they want. I think this will force the lesser quality decks out of the market, raising the standards in general.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:26:06 AM by Curt »

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 04:54:26 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I think one thing I am grateful for is how in this economy, during a time when everyone and their mothers are launching a new deck every few weeks, that I still managed to get 50 people preferring the Vortex deck to all the other stuff for every one person that opted out.

I agree with you Curt, I like when the decks I own have a story. Be that story my own, the deck's historical value, or just how they came about. I enjoy meaning.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:22:12 AM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
Well,i was staying awake a ll night long to see the deals of the different companies.
It was exciting to wait and see whats comming up for us.
Afterall i ended up picking up 3 Black Crown decks.
The Theory11 deal wasn´t that bad to be honest,getting 25% on everything.
But i had to look around what i would really want for the $150 to get myself a White Centurion.
Then i reallized i don´t want them really soooo bad and that i need to buy tons of cards and pay
over $50 shipping plus the german customs taxes of 19% which would have ended up in a huge price addon.
So i cancelled ordering from T11 in my mind.

The D&D deal was okay.The shipping cost at D&D store is the most expensive one of all.
Getting the IAOCP book & deck for $48 was tempting together with some Fulton cards.
But again the shipping killed the deal for me.

Now i settled down to buying at Ellusionist.
Why? Because i really want the LTD deck.
And since E is having this offer till the end of the year...*two thumbs up*
A friend of mine will be in Detroit to be working on the NAiAS 2012 on December 10th for 9days so that i can send to him my order
and safe a lot of money in this way.No overpriced shipping to Germany and no customs fees!
 :D His company will send the equipment back which they used to build up&down the shows at the NAiAS and he will
pack all my stuff in there :)

So after all those crazy sales - i go for Ellusionist to spend my money on.

So Alex if you can make some good offers for Pure Smoke,count me in :)

Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
Yes, I think I am just trying to do some reverse psych on myself. My wife recently got laid off (nice timing) so I need to adjust my output of dough. Had I had better resources I would have probably jumped on everything I could. I wonder if any of these places will do anything for "cyber Monday" when internet stores are supposed to have there Black Fridays.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Well I got a ton of cards (for me anyway). I think I got 40 or so decks.

Two of every t11 deck except a few, two Brown Wynn's, and 14 Black Crowns. I kinda sucks seeing all my hard earned money disappearing so fast, but I hope that it's worth it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
I guess you must be a reseller. I have thought about that sometimes but have not done it. Do you do well reselling things?

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I guess you must be a reseller. I have thought about that sometimes but have not done it. Do you do well reselling things?

I know this question was not directed towards me but I will throw in some info about some of the resales I have done. I have not done too many but when I ordered 8 Red artifice decks I sold 4 for a fairly nice profit. One RA I sold to for a really good deal to a UC member for $25 and then the other 3 I put on ebay as a set and they sold for about $150 for all three. The other decks I have resold are the v6's, I bought a brick and and sold 7 ( 3@$15 and 4@$20 ). The main thing that I have found when I was selling is that being open to international buyers ( not just the states ) makes sales much, much easier
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:23:48 PM by Curt »

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »

vmagic

Alex, with all the money you apparently have, why do you need so much from us for the Vortex decks? And why spend $1000 on decks to resell $800 worth of it? I don't see how you gain anything from that? And how many LTD decks did buy? How many could you possibly need!

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

If this question was directed towards me, then no. I am just a kid with a hobby. I figure I will never be able to pick up the Black Crowns ever again, so I'd rather stock up and not like them then to love them and never have the chance again. As for the 2 of each. I will open one to use and keep one sealed for collection. If I like the deck enough, I may buy more.

Alex, with all the money you apparently have, why do you need so much from us for the Vortex decks? And why spend $1000 on decks to resell $800 worth of it? I don't see how you gain anything from that? And how many LTD decks did buy? How many could you possibly need!

He spent that much for the sales and to get rare decks. He is selling the rest for a cheaper price so he still has a nice collection, and a wallet.

He figured it was a nice way to build a collection, while also giving back to us.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:20:29 PM by loldudex2 »
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member

If this question was directed towards me, then no. I am just a kid with a hobby. I figure I will never be able to pick up the Black Crowns ever again, so I'd rather stock up and not like them then to live them and never have the chance again. As for the 2 of each. I will open one to use and keep one sealed for collection. If I like the deck enough, I may buy more.

He spent that much for the sales and to get rare decks. He is selling the rest for a cheaper price so he still has a nice collection, and a wallet.

He figured it was a nice way to build a collection, while also giving back to us.
Yes young man, it was directed at you. My apologies for assuming. I usually just get three as I am a collector. I did not know one would buy so many just to hold. No critique on you, we all have our own way of collecting, Peace.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Really? After all this I still have to point out how I am not "stealing" money from you? Let's see, I live in a dinky little apartment in Vegas with my girlfriend. The two of us are doing 100% of this work on our own with the exception of programming this site, which Peuan does. I choose to spend the money I save up on cards, and because I am good at saving up money, I can afford to spend $1,000 in one day. The reason I am selling most of it back to the community is because I can't afford to spend $1,000 in one day over and over again. My collection is being sold off in parts right now so that I can focus it to the things I want most: vintage decks, decks made with passion that I adore, and "prestige" decks. I figured everyone could benefit in the process and enjoy a sale on things they may want.

Sorry, maybe I should pay for the Vortex deck out of pocket. Apparently $20,000 is chump change to me; while I'm at it, the decks will cost $1 each and I'll print 30,000 of them so that everyone that wants one can get one.

Then, while I'm at it, I'll go to the White House and explain to Obama why capitalism is a bad idea. People working hard to make their dreams come true is stupid. Why do that when you can save up money and just give it all away?

I'm set to make about $1-2,000 profit off these cards when all is said and done, and that's just going straight back into the next deck. Meanwhile, a big company rakes in a few million a year, and I'm still the one that should be giving everything I own for free.

Sorry, it just bothers me when someone acts like my work isn't worth their money, while at the same time basically demanding that I give it to them free of charge.  ::)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

If this question was directed towards me, then no. I am just a kid with a hobby. I figure I will never be able to pick up the Black Crowns ever again, so I'd rather stock up and not like them then to live them and never have the chance again. As for the 2 of each. I will open one to use and keep one sealed for collection. If I like the deck enough, I may buy more.

Yes young man, it was directed at you. My apologies for assuming. I usually just get three as I am a collector. I did not know one would buy so many just to hold. No critique on you, we all have our own way of collecting, Peace.

Haha no biggie. I learned the hard way with the Jaqk decks. I only bought a few decks and they are my favorite decks of all time. I promised myself I would not let that happen again, so I bought 14 Black Crowns. I will use and open most of them within a few years.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member

Haha no biggie. I learned the hard way with the Jaqk decks. I only bought a few decks and they are my favorite decks of all time. I promised myself I would not let that happen again, so I bought 14 Black Crowns. I will use and open most of them within a few years.
Alright, I applauded you to make up for my assumption.

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:

Sorry, it just bothers me when someone acts like my work isn't worth their money, while at the same time basically demanding that I give it to them free of charge.  ::)

Alex,

People want the world without anything in return. You will find many of those people do not have jobs. Very few people will appreciate the work necessary to launch a product, let alone an entire business. You'll never be able to please everybody. Ignore those people and do what's best for your business model and community. You've done very well for yourself, don't let anyone put doubt to that.

-Chin
SEASONS Playing Cards - Changing Design

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
well i just raised my pledge for vortex`s without asking my mom wont she be happy when she sees that  ;)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
well i just raised my pledge for vortex`s without asking my mom wont she be happy when she sees that  ;)

Hahaha thank you! Though if you get grounded - it's not on me. I was just here playing with my mind control devices.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »

vmagic

Really? After all this I still have to point out how I am not "stealing" money from you? Let's see, I live in a dinky little apartment in Vegas with my girlfriend. The two of us are doing 100% of this work on our own with the exception of programming this site, which Peuan does. I choose to spend the money I save up on cards, and because I am good at saving up money, I can afford to spend $1,000 in one day. The reason I am selling most of it back to the community is because I can't afford to spend $1,000 in one day over and over again. My collection is being sold off in parts right now so that I can focus it to the things I want most: vintage decks, decks made with passion that I adore, and "prestige" decks. I figured everyone could benefit in the process and enjoy a sale on things they may want.

Sorry, maybe I should pay for the Vortex deck out of pocket. Apparently $20,000 is chump change to me; while I'm at it, the decks will cost $1 each and I'll print 30,000 of them so that everyone that wants one can get one.

Then, while I'm at it, I'll go to the White House and explain to Obama why capitalism is a bad idea. People working hard to make their dreams come true is stupid. Why do that when you can save up money and just give it all away?

I'm set to make about $1-2,000 profit off these cards when all is said and done, and that's just going straight back into the next deck. Meanwhile, a big company rakes in a few million a year, and I'm still the one that should be giving everything I own for free.

Don't really understand this whole response. I never accused anyone of stealing and you never directly answered my questions. Here's another one though, why spend $1000 you don't have? Then again it is typical of most people, don't have money, but i'll spend it anyways! Wait, that is just like the American government and look at where they are.

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 11:16:55 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Your comments don't make sense to me, vmagic.

I obviously have the $1,000 seeing as how I can't buy things with money that doesn't exist. Furthermore, I am quite obviously reselling most of the goods. I don't understand why you're complaining.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Then again it is typical of most people, don't have money, but i'll spend it anyways! Wait, that is just like the American government and look at where they are.

You know what's really typical of most people?  Giving out nonsense advice and rhyming off vaguely political, vaguely protesting rhetoric about issues they have no idea about but read some uninformed journalist's opinion on it.  I do not believe most people spend money they don't have (including Alex, if you read his post rather than just quoted the entire thing for no reason); the burden of proving otherwise is on you.  Get some figures and maybe I'll agree with you.  As for the Government spending money they don't have, the issue is so vast and complicated that it is not possible to digest all of it without serious study and trying to boil it down into easily digestible segments is only something that hack journalists attempt to do. 

I wouldn't have jumped at your throat like this but one thing I can't stand is when people try to shoehorn their ignorant political bullshit into a completely unrelated topic.  I don't think you were accusing Alex of any kind of deceit.  I mean, what you said was very, very stupid but I'm assuming you can't help that. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:21:43 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sorry vmagic, but you win the award for most bizarre stance in a trollish comment ever. Alex is making cards and starting a business. In case it wasn't clear, business isn't a charity and he has every right (and I would fully want him) to make money off the deal.

Playing cards are a complete 100% luxury that no one needs. I think that they are underpriced if anything. $9 for a custom deck that someone spent weeks or months working on is a steal.

What he or anyone else does with their money is no business of yours, and since he's selling almost everything he bought in this specific case, it makes no logical sense to beat him up over it.

If you think $9 is too much for a vortex, go buy Bicycles at Walmart and keep yer trap shut. Sheesh.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Don't really understand this whole response. I never accused anyone of stealing and you never directly answered my questions. Here's another one though, why spend $1000 you don't have? Then again it is typical of most people, don't have money, but i'll spend it anyways! Wait, that is just like the American government and look at where they are.

Seriously dude? I am a fan of you on YouTube, but seriously. I know you drop big money on playing cards, especially with your recent "Decks I recently Purchased" video, or whatever it's called. Why wouldn't you jump at this opportunity.

Alex, is allowing YOU to get decks for a much cheaper price then you would usually buy them for. You could get all the decks you don't have, for a fraction of what you'd usually pay. This should make you jump for joy.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 12:05:47 AM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I cashed all of my savings bonds my grandmother left me to purchase my decks!  She isn't with us anymore so what she doesn't know won't hurt her! ;)

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 02:53:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@Vmagic - how you could accurately compare a single individual's spending to that of an entire nation is totally astounding.  You don't know Alex, don't know what he's coming from and what he's doing, and you're comparing his finances to the mess we call the US Federal Budget?  I was never a fan of such simplistic thinking; I see so many so-called "journalists" use that to spout their opinions and try to call it news that it practically makes me ill.  Politicians who do it aren't worth my vote as well.

@munro159 - dude?  To me, that sounds a little off-putting, and I'm actually having trouble figuring out exactly why.  But I can't judge, especially since I know nothing about your situation.  I hope you're enjoying your purchases.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 04:47:58 AM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
of course I didn't really cash any savings bonds....I was commenting on vmagic's idea that americans spend all of their money and don't save. sorry...it was a bad joke...Trying to entertain myself at work!!!!

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 05:05:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
of course I didn't really cash any savings bonds....I was commenting on vmagic's idea that americans spend all of their money and don't save. sorry...it was a bad joke...Trying to entertain myself at work!!!!

Well, you had me going there...

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
Then again it is typical of most people, don't have money, but i'll spend it anyways! Wait, that is just like the American government and look at where they are.

You know what's really typical of most people?  Giving out nonsense advice and rhyming off vaguely political, vaguely protesting rhetoric about issues they have no idea about but read some uninformed journalist's opinion on it.  I do not believe most people spend money they don't have (including Alex, if you read his post rather than just quoted the entire thing for no reason); the burden of proving otherwise is on you.  Get some figures and maybe I'll agree with you.  As for the Government spending money they don't have, the issue is so vast and complicated that it is not possible to digest all of it without serious study and trying to boil it down into easily digestible segments is only something that hack journalists attempt to do. 

I wouldn't have jumped at your throat like this but one thing I can't stand is when people try to shoehorn their ignorant political bullshit into a completely unrelated topic.  I don't think you were accusing Alex of any kind of deceit.  I mean, what you said was very, very stupid but I'm assuming you can't help that.
Dude, just read the pork on every single bill passed in congress. Every state wanted something (millions) in order to pass the health care bill. Useless bridges to nowhere, studies on insects, the list goes on and on. I am surprised that anyone would defend all government spending and not identify billions in waste. If we spent within reason, China would not have such major impact on our economy ie: the fear they will dump our debt on the world market which would have dire effect on out economy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:52:54 PM by eggman »

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Let's not get distracted and turn this into a political discussion, we have an entire board for off-topic debates and such. Kanped wasn't defending the US spending, he was defending how silly of an analogy was made.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
Was not a silly analogy by the reply, anyway, it is good to have a little brain stimulation, no harm done by either party. Besides, I hear Nancy Pelosi funded a study on the Vortex card and if it is some kind of conservative message supported by Rush Limbaugh, alright, I feel better, Let us move on.

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Was not a silly analogy by the reply, anyway, it is good to have a little brain stimulation, no harm done by either party. Besides, I hear Nancy Pelosi funded a study on the Vortex card and if it is some kind of conservative message supported by Rush Limbaugh, alright, I feel better, Let us move on.

Oy.  Thanks for shutting down this tangent, Alex.

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
i was not able to get anything, im hoping to save up for next year and buy a lot from these guys :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 02:05:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
i was not able to get anything, im hoping to save up for next year and buy a lot from these guys :)

Until the trend completely and utterly dies, there will always be new limited-edition decks coming out, and some of them are destined to become the next White Centurions or Gold Monarchs or Black Ghost 1st Editions or Smoke and Mirror version 1s.  So you didn't get this one - it's like subways in New York; there's always another one coming, sooner or later.

@eggman - I think you made the right choice.  Sure, you could buy rare decks and re-sell them for profit.  But what does your happy home eat in the meanwhile?  Bicycle Rider Backs, with a side of fries?  I can't imagine your wife would have looked kindly on you buying expensive playing cards and such when the household income has just been slashed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:07:23 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »

eggman

• Elite Member

Until the trend completely and utterly dies, there will always be new limited-edition decks coming out, and some of them are destined to become the next White Centurions or Gold Monarchs or Black Ghost 1st Editions or Smoke and Mirror version 1s.  So you didn't get this one - it's like subways in New York; there's always another one coming, sooner or later.

@eggman - I think you made the right choice.  Sure, you could buy rare decks and re-sell them for profit.  But what does your happy home eat in the meanwhile?  Bicycle Rider Backs, with a side of fries?  I can't imagine your wife would have looked kindly on you buying expensive playing cards and such when the household income has just been slashed.
[/quote Thanks so much for saying that, although it makes perfect sense I still have trouble sticking with my own logic.