You are Here:
1891 Midwinter Fair and Pacific Coast Playing Cards

Author (Read 1743 times)

1891 Midwinter Fair and Pacific Coast Playing Cards
« on: August 29, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »

mrdeckcollector

• Newcomer
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here and beginning collector, I thought this would be a great opportunity to start my first topic.

I was browsing eBay this past week, and stumbled upon a deck that I'd like to learn more about. I've done a lot of my own research, but I wanted to see if there were any other analytical minds out there that could assist.

The eBay listing sold to me for $6.51, and was titled "Antique The Consolidated card co. New York Deluxe playing cards no.142". However, I quickly realized that what was actually included in the box is not the no.142 De Luxe cards. Upon further research, it looks like I may have *accidentally* purchased a rare deck that was manufactured in 1891 - "Midwinter Fair and Pacific Coast Playing Cards".

I've found the following link based on the back-design of the cards:
http://blogs.lib.berkeley.edu/bancsurvey.php/title_39

...These include a nifty deck of illustrated playing cards from the San Francisco Mid-Winter Exposition, 1884. This particular deck of "Midwinter Fair and Pacific Coast Playing Cards" was manufactured by The Winters Art Litho Co., San Francisco/Chicago in 1891; they have an enamel finish. In addition to illustrations of the Mid-Winter Expo, the cards depict scenes from the Pacific Coast, from Washington State to Los Angeles. Bay Area scenes include San Francisco's Chinatown, Golden Gate Park and Alcatraz.

And also found this 52+Joker link, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. It seems to be an auction flier, with my deck listed at "Minimum 150" - (Lot 63) http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=nKvZTxmxwnU%3D&tabid=76&mid=413

However, the cards I purchased did not come with the original box, instead with this De Luxe box. And the condition is actually pretty bad (I'll post my pictures later, but for now, here are the listing pictures).

Any thoughts? I don't really know what I'm looking or asking for here, maybe its just to start a conversation :) In any case, $6.51 sounds like a steal for cards manufactured in 1891, even in this condition.

Re: 1891 Midwinter Fair and Pacific Coast Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »

mrdeckcollector

• Newcomer
Also, I guess I'm looking for information regarding how not having the box affects the condition/value...and also information about this no.142 De Luxe box, since I guess I can treat it as a totally separate item.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 04:00:59 PM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
I'd say you got a bargain.  Not sure of the value of cards, but definitely a lot more than what you paid.  As for the Deluxe card box, those are pretty common and I doubt they are worth much.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:18:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Also, I guess I'm looking for information regarding how not having the box affects the condition/value...and also information about this no.142 De Luxe box, since I guess I can treat it as a totally separate item.

When it comes to a vintage or antique deck, having the box is a good thing, but it's often the first thing to go!  They're never as durable as the cards themselves and tend to wear out or get lost - it's the rare old deck in general that has a good-condition box to go with it.  Boxes that are still sealed are even more rare.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
For the record, this deck dates to 1894, the year of the actual expo, which took place a year after the successful 1893 Columbian Expo in Chicago.

This deck was made by the same company that made cards for the Chicago fair, the Winters Art Litho Co.  It's a beautiful deck and should contain a full 52 cards plus a walking bear joker.  It was made in both a blue and a red backed version with matching colored soft tuckboxes.

I see these selling for 200-300 in Near Mint condition with boxes.  Lacking a box may result in a significant drop.  I bought mine lacking a box for around $100 which I thought was fair if even a bit of a deal.

Your deck looks well worn and soiled, perhaps grading a VG to VG- depending on your precise definitions.  According to the Hochman price guide, a deck in VG condition is worth about 40% of one in Mint.  We'd need to know if your has a joker.  I think a range of $30-50 would be my guess - toward the lower end without a joker and the higher end with.

I think you did well.
Matt Schacht

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:35:05 PM »

mrdeckcollector

• Newcomer
Thanks for the reply and info, it definitely sounds like I lucked out. The history of the deck is worth more than a $50 price tag to me :) I'll let these sit for another 28 years and see how they look at age 150!