You are Here:
"Find a Liar" new card game

Author (Read 2357 times)

"Find a Liar" new card game
« on: February 06, 2016, 02:26:17 PM »

Artem

• Newcomer
Hello

I'm creating a new card game "Find a Liar".

I'd like to start it on a kickstarter in nearest  future.

This card game is about bluffing and deception.  The goal of this game is to expose a lie or to trick another  person without any suspicions. It is commonly believed that money is very close to lie and deception so I used currency signs as an indices. As for the main image I used negative heroes of that country which currency sign is on the card.

I would like to hear your opinion about this game design. Please feel free to share all of your suggestions here in this topic.

Re: "Find a Liar" new card game
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »

Artem

• Newcomer
This is an example desing of a dollar card.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:56:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello

I'm creating a new card game "Find a Liar".

I'd like to start it on a kickstarter in nearest  future.

This card game is about bluffing and deception.  The goal of this game is to expose a lie or to trick another  person without any suspicions. It is commonly believed that money is very close to lie and deception so I used currency signs as an indices. As for the main image I used negative heroes of that country which currency sign is on the card.

I would like to hear your opinion about this game design. Please feel free to share all of your suggestions here in this topic.

Welcome to the PCF.  I moved your topic to the Conversation Parlor.  The other boards are reserved for International Standard playing card decks, and to a lesser extent tarot decks as they share many common design elements and historical origins, rather than custom game decks such as yours.

There's not much of an opinion I can offer - you want comments about the game design, but all you're giving us to go on is a single card done in several color schemes and no rules.  That's not a game design, that's a series of pictures.  The pictures are pretty, I suppose, but alone they don't exactly make up a game.

What purpose do the currency signs serve in your game?  I question how common the belief is that "money is very close to lie and deception" - money alone doesn't constitute a lie or a deception.

What exactly do you mean by "negative heroes?"  The one card you've shown so far has a generic Old West-style gunslinger, with nothing to indicate whether he's a hero (like a lawman or perhaps a bounty hunter) or a villain (like a bandit or hired killer) or something in-between.  None of that really has anything directly to do with lying or deception, per se - there's a lot missing from your game design.

To sum up, asking us to evaluate your game design based on what you've presented is like asking us to play poker with only a three of clubs, a seven of spades and a joker.  You're several cards short of a full deck here!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »

Artem

• Newcomer
Thank you for your reply.
You were right I chose a wrong forum. Excuse me for that.

I am trying to develop a new custom game deck. And as for now I have only one card in a different variations.
And I am asking your oppinion on which card suits best for this idea. I don't have a rules for now It's currently in development.

The image of a gunslider it is just an idea to use symbolic icon representation for this currency sign.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:14:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you for your reply.
You were right I chose a wrong forum. Excuse me for that.

I am trying to develop a new custom game deck. And as for now I have only one card in a different variations.
And I am asking your oppinion on which card suits best for this idea. I don't have a rules for now It's currently in development.

The image of a gunslider it is just an idea to use symbolic icon representation for this currency sign.

Better to work out the rules of the game first - THEN work on the actual design of the cards themselves.  You're trying to paint the house before you've poured the concrete for the walls...  You could end up doing a lot of design work only to discover that the game rules are crap and it doesn't play well.  Either hammer out the game details or drop the custom game idea and just develop a standard deck with standard suits and values.  There are thousands of different card games for a standard deck in the first place and people like to buy familiar products that they already know how to use.

If you really want to make a special game out of your cards, better to just develop the rules for a standard deck or make a standard deck that's been modified so you can also play your custom game with it - that will make it appeal to a broader audience if they like your design.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »

Artem

• Newcomer
Better to work out the rules of the game first - THEN work on the actual design of the cards themselves.  You're trying to paint the house before you've poured the concrete for the walls...  You could end up doing a lot of design work only to discover that the game rules are crap and it doesn't play well.  Either hammer out the game details or drop the custom game idea and just develop a standard deck with standard suits and values.  There are thousands of different card games for a standard deck in the first place and people like to buy familiar products that they already know how to use.

If you really want to make a special game out of your cards, better to just develop the rules for a standard deck or make a standard deck that's been modified so you can also play your custom game with it - that will make it appeal to a broader audience if they like your design.

Don Boyer, I'll post the rules as soon as they will be ready. For now all I can say that there will be 32 cards with 8 different cards current signs. All signs are equal between each other(without course of exchange).   
But I opened this topic for asking whether this design is good or not. It's just a playing card that will be put on the deck. And what card is better on your opinion?

And thank you for reply, for now I have a hesitation whether it is a good idea to make a new custom game. Just wanted to do something different. This game doesn't need a ranks at all, and i thought it would much easier ti play with no ranks at all.

And btw here is another design  that  I planned to use before. I thought that it is very simple for the card and leave it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:29:33 PM by Artem »

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:12:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don Boyer, I'll post the rules as soon as they will be ready. For now all I can say that there will be 32 cards with 8 different cards current signs. All signs are equal between each other(without course of exchange).   
But I opened this topic for asking whether this design is good or not. It's just a playing card that will be put on the deck. And what card is better on your opinion?

And thank you for reply, for now I have a hesitation whether it is a good idea to make a new custom game. Just wanted to do something different. This game doesn't need a ranks at all, and i thought it would much easier ti play with no ranks at all.

And btw here is another design  that  I planned to use before. I thought that it is very simple for the card and leave it.

You're asking for an opinion about the design - am I to evaluate it as artwork?  I can't evaluate it as a game element because I have no context by which to evaluate it - the game has no rules as of yet.  So about the best I could offer you is whether the card looks pretty or not.  I can't comment on its function, how well it works in the game, etc.  As far as card art goes, I've seen better and I've seen worse - but no one will care how pretty the cards are if the game is terrible.  Make the game FIRST - again, you're trying to paint the walls before you've poured the concrete for them, in essence waving a wet paint brush in the air and asking me how nice the color looks in the as-yet-unbuilt living room.  You might as well ask me how much I like the stitching on the Emperor's new clothes from the famous children's story or try making omlettes with unbreakable eggs.

If your game requires eight currency signs on 32 cards, I'm presuming it's four cards to a currency sign, correct?  Have you considered testing your game just using a standard pack of cards?  Ignore the suits and treat the values as different currencies, using all cards ranked from Ace through 8.  If this is confusing to you in the least, draw currency signs on the cards by hand, either below the existing index or on the empty corners to the upper right and lower left for the purposes of testing your game idea.

Create the game first - THEN make the deck you play it with.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:57 AM »

Artem

• Newcomer
Evaluate as artwork that's what I am asking for now, thank you very much for reply. I need to think about it.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 06:18:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Evaluate as artwork that's what I am asking for now, thank you very much for reply. I need to think about it.

Well, the one "$" card has a dynamic appearance to it.  It should be in color in order to really stand out nicely, and I'd advise getting rid of those bars along the left and right sides of the cards - the frame they create is thick and makes the art seem crowded, whereas without them it would look more expansive, really giving the feel of an open, outdoor space.