You are Here:
reputation?

Author (Read 5271 times)

reputation?
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
with some users I've seen numbers under the rep mark, some with 4 others with 62 and even some with -2. just wanted to know how it works?
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Re: reputation?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
with some users I've seen numbers under the rep mark, some with 4 others with 62 and even some with -2. just wanted to know how it works?

Underneath "reputation" there's a Good poster/ Bad poster button. You can give reputation with good poster, or take it away with bad poster.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

its basically what he head said.
We've actually had other versions of this rating/like system. im not sure if this is the final version or not. We will just have to wait for the almight Alex and Peuan for further updates. But for now just treat is as something like a facebook "like" ^_^

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

We've actually had other versions of this rating/like system. im not sure if this is the final version or not. We will just have to wait for the almight Alex and Peuan for further updates. But for now just treat is as something like a facebook "like" ^_^

There's a formula to it.  someone with a very high rep will have greater influence on another person's rep than someone with a low rep, and people with no or negative reps can't rate people's posts at all.  If you go on a streak of negative posts, your rep starts to drop - and I think the same holds true for positive ones as well.  There's a limit as to how frequently you can alter another person's rep - for example, if you tried rating all his or her recent posts as bad.  There's a bit more to the formula, but that's the basics.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
My rep has gone up to 2, yay :p lol

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:38:52 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hmm interesting. I never really bothered too much with reps and the badges. Well I used to but not anymore because I just want to enjoy the forums and be a nice girl. Hahahaha!!

Oh and there is the teal font :)

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:23:16 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
its all new to me, I'm probably most likely get bored with it soon lol

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular

There's a formula to it.  someone with a very high rep will have greater influence on another person's rep than someone with a low rep, and people with no or negative reps can't rate people's posts at all.  If you go on a streak of negative posts, your rep starts to drop - and I think the same holds true for positive ones as well.  There's a limit as to how frequently you can alter another person's rep - for example, if you tried rating all his or her recent posts as bad.  There's a bit more to the formula, but that's the basics.
I thought it was a lot simpler than that? Knowing the whole 'higher rep means more influence on rating' is quite intriguing actually :P
Love is magic

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I thought it was a lot simpler than that? Knowing the whole 'higher rep means more influence on rating' is quite intriguing actually :P

Again, there are caveats.  Give out a lot of negatives - or a lot of positives - to the same person and you start losing reputation.  There are other bits and bobs to the formula, only Alex and Peuan know them all.  And even they probably can't remember all of it!  :))

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
The rep system was actually vastly simplified with v3 of the site, Don. The previous "Fame" system caused constant shortages of service so we had to scrap it. It was just too advanced for our host.

Right now, you gain rep for earning some badges, and if people like your posts they can give you positive rep.

There are timer limits to it, and abuse limits in place as well. All in all it's a pretty relaxed system, and you should be glad if you're in the positives. The folks with 100+ rep have been here for a while, earned tons of badges and made many badass posts. Hence high rep.

You'll see a few people with -X rep, these are usually horrible members who nobody takes seriously. Occasionally they may also be victims of reputation abuse, in which case their rep is reset if it's reported.

It's a swag number, you can't do anything with it, but the more you have, then clearly the more you've been contributing to the site. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I went down by one rep, that sucks :(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:31:25 PM by brownmagician »

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
If users rep users, can those receiving th rep c who's rep them? (Does that make sense? Lol)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:30:57 PM by brownmagician »

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
If users rep users, can those receiving th rep c who's rep them? (Does that make sense? Lol)

It's all anonymous, although I personally can see who reps who because I have access to database logs.

Also, here are some tips to avoid getting bad rep:

- Complaining about bad rep is a formula to get negative very quickly
- Spamming (unless it's in the Lolaq, which is completely unmoderated)
- Double/triple posts (the edit feature is your friend)
- Bad grammar/spelling (it's all about trying to post well)

Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Aw sweet, thanks for th info dude :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:30:30 PM by brownmagician »

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

Up until now, I've not complained about bad rep, but I've seen it decline in th past few weeks to zero and I don't know why. My grammar/spelling is always on point (short hand text shouldn't count) .. I've doubled posted I think once, I only spam in Lolaq and I always post positively (at least I think I do) hmmm curious as to why it's gone down ...

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Up until now, I've not complained about bad rep, but I've seen it decline in th past few weeks to zero and I don't know why. My grammar/spelling is always on point (short hand text shouldn't count) .. I've doubled posted I think once, I only spam in Lolaq and I always post positively (at least I think I do) hmmm curious as to why it's gone down ...

Don't worry about it, people are more likely to give you abd rep if they don't agree with a post than good rep if they enjoyed a post.

The key is to ignore the rep and make quality content, the result is high rep in the long run. :D
Forum Founder.

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 12:42:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
My grammar/spelling is always on point (short hand text shouldn't count) ..

To some, it does count, quite a bit in fact.  Remember, not everyone in the forum is a native English speaker, so it's hard enough for them to understand well-written English - your shorthand to some of them might be too difficult to translate.  Also, "grammarians" will fuss over communicating more clearly by using proper English.  Some people's posts are practically unintelligible even to native speakers!  Those are the people that will be more likely to get their posts rated as "bad".

Just don't look at me - I didn't do it!  A glitch in the board's software prohibits omni-moderators from rating member's posts.  (Any progress on that, Alex?)

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Lol (or should I say laugh out loud) I'd never think it was you don :) you've seen what I've posted, most my posts r followed by your replies, do I say anything bad or offensive? .. I have a feeling I know who it is, and i have a feeling it has been done out of spite .. Either that, or the idea of a brown magician isn't anyone's cup of tea .... :))
I've seen someone on here speak to someone in their mother tongue, I consider that very rude because a majority of us won't know what's being said (unless we used google translate, but why should we have too?) yet that person's rating wasn't effected  ??? .. I don't mean to bitch (apologies for the language) but just some things don't make sense .. I know this whole rep thing shouldn't really get to me, after all, we are here for much more important reasons, but it's one of them things that tends to make its way under my skin somehow .. Anyway, no doubt, this will make the rep go further into negative as it has done in the past day since I reposted on here laugh out loud

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yea, its just like, if I like your status on fb. You either have someone liking them all for no reason, or not liking them for no reason.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Lol (or should I say laugh out loud) I'd never think it was you don :) you've seen what I've posted, most my posts r followed by your replies, do I say anything bad or offensive? .. I have a feeling I know who it is, and i have a feeling it has been done out of spite .. Either that, or the idea of a brown magician isn't anyone's cup of tea .... :))
I've seen someone on here speak to someone in their mother tongue, I consider that very rude because a majority of us won't know what's being said (unless we used google translate, but why should we have too?) yet that person's rating wasn't effected  ??? .. I don't mean to bitch (apologies for the language) but just some things don't make sense .. I know this whole rep thing shouldn't really get to me, after all, we are here for much more important reasons, but it's one of them things that tends to make its way under my skin somehow .. Anyway, no doubt, this will make the rep go further into negative as it has done in the past day since I reposted on here laugh out loud

Actually, you're already up to eight.  There's a little balancing that takes place when you've been hit excessively, particularly if it comes from a single source.

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
At one point it was at -10 .. It's still gona decline cos people (or a person) is hittin that bad poster button lol

EDIT: see what I mean? Laugh out loud
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:27:15 PM by brownmagician »

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
At one point it was at -10 .. It's still gona decline cos people (or a person) is hittin that bad poster button lol

Moan about it and people will turn you into the local whipping boy...  :))  We had a precursor to reputation, and one guy went into the negative triple digits for a while...

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Yeah I know who it is and discussed it with them.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Moan about it and people will turn you into the local whipping boy...  :))  We had a precursor to reputation, and one guy went into the negative triple digits for a while...

Wha- how-
...What did he do?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Wha- how-
...What did he do?

He asked why his rep was so low... once.
Forum Founder.