You are Here:
Gold sealed old cigarette branded playing cards, all Info appreciated

Author (Read 907 times)

Andy

• Newcomer
Hello all, I would very much appreciate as much info about these playing cards as anybody knows

My grandfather sadly passed, up in his attic were these 2 packs of cards.. still in pretty good condition I believe.

I'd like to know how much they are worth but also date

I'm so tempted to break the seal and see what they are actually like, as they look golden on the edges, and the pack itself out of the cardboard box doesn't bend what so ever.

More pictures on request

Many thanks

Andy

Re: Gold sealed old cigarette branded playing cards, all Info appreciated
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »

Jock1971

• Newcomer
Hi Andy.
  The London Playing Card Company (Stamped on side of wrapper) was actually a subsidiary company of Goodalls Playing Cards, Started in 1885 and lasted until 1910. can`t give a more accurate date without seeing the courts
The Wills box is not original, as the cards would have a wills advertising back and not the `Minstral` picture back shown.
i would like to see the front of the other tuck if possible.

Funnily enough if you had just shown the card backs i would have said they were De La Rue cards from the 1930`s as i have many similar Gilded De La Rue packs from that period. But they can`t be because of the London PCC stamp on the wrapper.
Jase

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 02:05:20 AM »

Andy

• Newcomer
Hi Andy.
  The London Playing Card Company (Stamped on side of wrapper) was actually a subsidiary company of Goodalls Playing Cards, Started in 1885 and lasted until 1910. can`t give a more accurate date without seeing the courts
The Wills box is not original, as the cards would have a wills advertising back and not the `Minstral` picture back shown.
i would like to see the front of the other tuck if possible.

Funnily enough if you had just shown the card backs i would have said they were De La Rue cards from the 1930`s as i have many similar Gilded De La Rue packs from that period. But they can`t be because of the London PCC stamp on the wrapper.
Jase

Thank you so much for your reply, I may have changed them around when taking them out the Tibet is as shown in this picture.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:57:32 AM »

Jock1971

• Newcomer
Hi Andy.
  Thanks for showing the other box .
 I can`t understand why these cards are in cigarette branded tuck boxes. Both John Players And Wills had their own back designs with their respective logo`s somewhere on the back, so why would they use unbranded picture backs ? And why would Goodalls put picture backs in Cigarette branded Boxes? very strange.
 Either way both decks are still sealed in their tax wrappers, Gilded and the tuck boxes are in very good condition for their age , so all in all a very nice attic find

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:16 AM »

Andy

• Newcomer
Hi Andy.
  Thanks for showing the other box .
 I can`t understand why these cards are in cigarette branded tuck boxes. Both John Players And Wills had their own back designs with their respective logo`s somewhere on the back, so why would they use unbranded picture backs ? And why would Goodalls put picture backs in Cigarette branded Boxes? very strange.
 Either way both decks are still sealed in their tax wrappers, Gilded and the tuck boxes are in very good condition for their age , so all in all a very nice attic find

Oh I see, that is strange.. I am so tempted to open one of them just to see what the cards are actually like, as they look golden on the edges, and there is no bend in the cards what so ever, which unlike other cards even as the deck you would be able to bend them ever so slightly.. but none the less, I really like them.

Thank you very much

Andy