You are Here:
Ender's Review: Million Dollar Monte DVD (Magic Makers)

Author (Read 382 times)

Ender's Review: Million Dollar Monte DVD (Magic Makers)
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:11:31 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Million Dollar Monte DVD  (Magic Makers)

Magic Makers gives another take on the popular 3 Card Monte

Overview

Million Dollar Monte is just another name for the effect more commonly known as Ultimate 3 Card Monte by Michael Skinner.  Skinner's routine and patter is often considered the best, but there are many ways to perform this effect, and the same gaffs are used.  Either way, it is a terrific effect that nearly always generates good reactions, which is impressive considering that it only consists of three cards (including a couple of gimmicked ones).

The Effect

The effect itself features three seemingly impossible revelations, with the third and final one being the most powerful and surprising of them all, as the red ace magically and impossibly switches places with another card. Bill Malone's terrific performance of a 3 Card Monte routine will give you an idea of the wonderful potential that these cards have (link).  It certainly inspired me to learn this trick!

Here's the effect performed by Rob Stiff, as taught on the DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Y9u-RkrmA

You can see another demo performed in this Magic Makers video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrzVAROMzc

Difficulty

There's a relatively low degree of difficulty, since no real sleight of hand is necessary, so it can be performed by a relative beginner. However that doesn't mean you should be performing it within a couple of minutes of learning it, since you will need to practice the routine many times so that you can execute the moves smoothly, without revealing the secret. It's best to do quite a bit of practice before performing this to anyone, since you'll need clean moves and good presentation for best results. For first-timers new to this effect, I'd strongly recommend getting a version that includes an instructional video that explains how to perform it, like the one included here featuring Rudy Hunter, Marty Grams, and Rob Stiff.  I'd consider myself an intermediate level amateur, but I was able to learn it without too much difficulty, although a good video tutorial like this one is esssential, to pick up the important nuances to performing it well, and it is essential to practice often to master it and be completely comfortable with all the moves before performing.

Recommendation

It's well worth the effort to learn this packet trick, because the result can be quite mind-blowing - I've had a lot of success with it.  There's good reason that this is a very popular effect with magicians, and one of the all-time most popular packet card tricks.

Want to learn more?  This product is available on eBay, and on Amazon here:
- Million Dollar Monte: https://www.amazon.com/Million-Dollar-Monte-Hunter-Marty/dp/B000JPO07A
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:57:54 PM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=