What makes a good playing card deck?

Author (Read 675 times)

What makes a good playing card deck?
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »

eric116

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Hi all,

I work for a company that designs custom playing cards, and we'd like to find out what you think makes a good playing card.
Color?
Material?
Packaging?
Subject matter?

Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks!

Re: What makes a good playing card deck?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:12:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome, Eric.  Which company?

There's no fixed set of criteria that works universally for all custom projects.  There's questions about theme, target audience, budget, etc.  I do this kind of consulting as a sideline.  My biggest clients are Uusi and Gambler's Warehouse.  You should get in touch with me via email or private messaging here on the forum.

I will say this much - it's best to get a quality printer.  Most printers, quality or otherwise, with rare exception, have their manufacturing done in Asia.  The largest exception is the United States Playing Card Company, of course.  The wrong printer can result in a world of headaches.  I recall one project that went through hell with its printers - after FIVE printings, still flawed.  Everyone attached to that project lost money, big time.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
H-Y-Y-Y-P-E  :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:22:04 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I think one of the most fascinating things that separates playing cards from other artistic mediums is the tactile nature of them. Opposed to other types of arts playing cards are specifically designed to be handled and manipulated rather than just looked at. This means that great opportunities for expression lie in things like embossing, card stock and finish. Also the way that you don't view the cards 'individually' but rather as multiples. So for example you could have a single painting on your wall, or maybe a couple that work together. A deck of cards can be read in many ways such as fanned backs, diptychs and themes that are concurrent throughout a design that may even have changing imagery depending on how the cards are handled. A great example is this triptych from Emmanuelle Jose where flipping the cards changes the story that is told in the images. No other artform that I am aware of offers such situational expression.

I think a great deck realises that it isn't just 52 pictures. It plays with all of these interactive elements and becomes something more tactile and constantly changing.

Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Also, what collector said!  :D
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski