You are Here:
"Love is ..." Playing Cards by Natalia Silva (KS)

Author (Read 2200 times)

"Love is ..." Playing Cards by Natalia Silva (KS)
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:17:03 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:32:54 PM by Rob Wright »

Re: Love Is... Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:47:14 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
It's cute, but I can't help but think that it's very Emmanuel Jose! From the 3 card diptych,  to the uncut sheet layout to the tuck case :/
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:50:31 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
It's cute, but I can't help but think that it's very Emmanuel Jose! From the 3 card diptych,  to the uncut sheet layout to the tuck case :/

Wow, I only just scrolled down and saw the tuck case. There's little wrong with taking inspiration from other decks, and I think just the cards alone could get away with that as lots of people are not doing diptychs on their decks. But that tuck box along with the other stuff you mentioned is too derivative in my opinion. I'll keep the money on this one and throw it into Delicious instead
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
It might compliment the "Love Me" cards.  I know my wife would love this.  Sometimes I buy her a deck of cards and she won't mind so much me spending all this money on cards :)  Anyways I backed it.  I like it when a deck has art on the number cards...and different ones for each color to boot!

Also since we can't stand children, the joker card being a baby is quite fitting.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:10:59 AM by EvanEssence »

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:14:02 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
It might compliment the "Love Me" cards.  I know my wife would love this.  Sometimes I buy her a deck of cards and she won't mind so much me spending all this money on cards :)  Anyways I backed it.  I like it when a deck has art on the number cards...and different ones for each color to boot!

Also since we can't stand children, the joker card being a baby is quite fitting.

If you like transformation decks (artwork on the cards that incorporate the pips, this deck isn't strictly speaking a transformation deck) then check out Emmanuel Jose as we mentioned above. I have a couple of his decks scanned in on my page here. Sawdust is readily available at the moment and it's one of the best I've seen.

http://www.magasaki.com/#!clipped-wings/c1tsu
http://www.magasaki.com/#!sawdust/c229w
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:17:31 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I can understand wanting to get this campaign off the ground before valentines day. Even so, it;s difficult to back a second campaign when the first hasn't yet been fulfilled. Russian folk art playing cards was the first campaign run by Natalia I believe.

About the deck itself, my favorite part is... the tuck. On the card faces the pips on the indices are a little too small, it throws the balance off for me. With the courts, the pips next to the indices are too close to the indices for my taste. Again this throws the balance off for me. I'm not going to get into the art, I understand the direction and I think it's fitting and fun. I would prefer the words "Love is..." left off each card face, it's already the title of the deck and on every card back. I don't care for the jokers myself. Something about the card back isn't for me. I feel like if there are going to be straight rows of hearts running down either side, they probably should be running in straight rows along the top and bottom as well or there shouldn't be straight rows of one direction hearts anywhere. Balance issue for me. Lastly, I would have liked to see slightly more traditional aces than what's offered here. The whole cakes thing, I get it I do, I just want more Ace on my Aces. lastly, cards like the two of diamonds and the five of spades feature large hearts on the faces. These are just examples mind, I feel like they're overpowering and given the small pips on indices could initially throw someone on what suit they are. This happens all over the place in this deck.

I think the theme is great. I really do like it. The little fella on the KoH card cracked me up, he's got that deer in the headlights look and I think he's hopped up on something. I've been to a wedding where the groom looked like that haha, made me wonder if the brides father and his shotgun might not have come into play there.

This deck is loads of fun. It's not for me in it's current state though.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's a cutesy, novelty deck - most certainly NOT a transformation deck in any way, shape or form, nor to any degree.

Some of the expressions used have some interesting "alternate interpretations"...

A few examples:

"Love is...your greatest gift."  I thought life was your greatest gift?
"Love is...missing them."  Well, so is poor aim!
"Love is...when you are partners in crime."  I know some thieves that might disagree...
"Love is...holding hands while driving."  So is the cause of many accidents!
"Love is...when you can't live without him."  Except in certain cities, where it's defined as stalking!  Seriously, the artwork is a woman aiming a magnet at a man who's trying to flee by running away from her!

Well, you get the idea.  But, really, I'm just kidding a bit.  While there are a few not-entirely-grammatical sentences, all in all it's a nice novelty.  Would have been nicer if a) it was started in time for a Valentine's Day delivery and b) if she'd completed delivery on her first project first.

It's becoming a growing and not-terribly-good idea for first-time project creators to take on a second project before the first one has a bow on it and is out the door.  Intelligent investors want to see a track record first; it helps them that not all investors are careful about what they back, treating Kickstarter more like a store than crowdfunding.  I want to see how a first-timer handles the first project before considering backing a second one - call me crazy, but I prefer investing based on results whenever possible.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:46:18 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »

elephantturtle

• Newcomer
I'd buy some to give as a gift but never to add to my collection..

Re: "Love is ..." Playing Cards by Natalia Silva (KS)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
"Love is...." relaunch  Link also added to first post.

MPC printing with a USPCC stretch goal

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB