You are Here:
Noble (Special Edt.) Playing Cards by Design Imperator(KS)

Author (Read 5742 times)

Noble (Special Edt.) Playing Cards by Design Imperator(KS)
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Noble (Special Edt.) Playing Cards-Relaunch

A custom and unique deck of premium stock, kickstarter exclusive, limited, Bicycle-branded, poker playing cards, printed by USPCC.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/653481781/noble-playing-cards-by-uspcc?ref=discovery
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:33:58 AM by Rob Wright »

Re: Noble playing cards by USPCC KS
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:08 PM »

CherryNukaCola

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Not a fan of the whole 'letters for courts' thing, but I like the pips.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I feel its very elegant and simplistic.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 12:35:32 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Pretty good for a Letter court deck. One of the better ones I've seen. I don't much care for the ghosted back on the face cards. The back itself, I would like it better if it was simple two color and the patterns didn't overlap. That overlap I think is the most negative aspect. I like the Pips and the Indices. Overall, not a bad letter deck at all. I want to like it more than I do.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:26:12 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Pretty good for a Letter court deck. One of the better ones I've seen. I don't much care for the ghosted back on the face cards. The back itself, I would like it better if it was simple two color and the patterns didn't overlap. That overlap I think is the most negative aspect. I like the Pips and the Indices. Overall, not a bad letter deck at all. I want to like it more than I do.

It is a very noble effort i must say. (Eh Noble effort eh....Nevermind..) I don't mind the back colours, as it seems to bring more layers to it, but i also do not like the overlapping portion.

And the price, even with worldwide shipping seems a tad high, with the price increasing the more you buy. Doesn't look like they want larger pledges?
$16 for a deck for 1 deck is on the high side for international shipping, but not unheard of. (used to it  :( ), but $16.50/deck for 6 decks is not. Not only does the price doesn't decrease in larger quantities, but it seems the shipping goes up per deck with more decks. First time i seen shipping work this way.

I seem to comment a lot on pricing lately, but everything just seems to keep going up. Rather than beating others on design, people seem to just want to beat others on pricing, in the wrong way.

Nice deck, but probably won't buy for that price.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 03:51:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The exchange rate given is off.  As of market close yesterday, 5 DKK equals about US$0.84 - the easier conversion is 6 DKK being approximately US$1.01.  Values below are rounded to nearest 1/100th of a currency unit.

# decks
kr (DKK)
kr per
$ (USD)
$ per

The bulk pricing is a little weird on this one...looks like buying in lots of four decks is the way to go.  To be fair, though, the 6-deck tier comes with a half-brick box, the 12-deck tier comes with a full brick box and an art print and the 24-deck tier comes with a pair of brickboxes, two prints - and violates KS's limit on not more than a dozen decks per tier!

As far as the cards themselves?  Boring with a capital BORING.  They grabs a handful of ideas that we've all seen many times before and did it no better than their predecessors did.  Thus, they stand out as much as a specific grain of sand in the world's largest pile of sand.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:04:04 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
As far as the pricing goes maybe there is some weird fee for larger items above a certain weight... maybe it is the extra cost for the print on the brick box...maybe it is something else...you never can anticipate all the "other" fees there are for decks, that much I know.
I have invited them to join us so maybe they can share their reasoning behind this. I really don't understand it.

I just read PurpleIce's comment,
And the price, even with worldwide shipping seems a tad high, with the price increasing the more you buy. Doesn't look like they want larger pledges?
$16 for a deck for 1 deck is on the high side for international shipping, but not unheard of. (used to it  :( ), but $16.50/deck for 6 decks is not. Not only does the price doesn't decrease in larger quantities, but it seems the shipping goes up per deck with more decks. First time i seen shipping work this way.
Wait is this SHIPPING prices?  :o Now I really don't get it...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:12:46 PM by Rose »

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
As far as the pricing goes maybe there is some weird fee for larger items above a certain weight... maybe it is the extra cost for the print on the brick box...maybe it is something else...you never can anticipate all the "other" fees there are for decks, that much I know.
I have invited them to join us so maybe they can share their reasoning behind this. I really don't understand it.

I just read PurpleIce's comment,
Wait is this SHIPPING prices?  :o Now I really don't get it...

I meant it as deck + shipping.

From what i know and from my little bit of shipping, it really depends on the items. Shipping companies tend to charge either by actual weight or volumetric weight, whichever is higher. I have done my fair bit of calculation and there is no way volumetric weight can be higher for a deck of cards, or any amount of decks for that matter, even with a good layer of protection. And usually the prices goes down per deck because of the initial base cost, so the more decks u ship, the base cost gets divided further per deck.

The costing makes more sense now because i missed out the art prints. (i only say art prints because i haven't seen anyone charge for brick boxes whether customised or not. I do remember seeing add-ons for customised brickboxes, but if you do not want it, doesn't mean they wrap your 12 decks in a shopping bag, you just get the plain old white ones.)

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I like the backs... The faces are interesting and I'd be in for a couple, except that the tucks are a bit of a letdown for me with all of the awesomeness we have going on in the market these days... So spoiled that no embossing, no foiling, and, most importantly, what appears to be very little effort put into tuck design means a pass for me!

Re: Noble (Special Edt.) Playing Cards by Design Imperator(KS)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:06:40 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Noble (Special Edt.) Playing Cards

Personalized, numbered, kickstarter exclusive, very limited, poker playing cards with metallic red ink and your name on the tuck box!

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 03:21:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Personalizing EVERY DECK?  That's insane.  I wouldn't count on them meeting their delivery estimate.  By what method are these things being personalized, 'cause the last time I looked, USPC would laugh you out of their offices if you presented such an idea to them.  I'm betting they're using either computer printed stickers or a dry transfer lettering such as Prestype.  Before computers were powerful and commonplace, PresType was the only way to achieve the look of professional printing at home or in the office.  My mother worked for the ad agency J. Walter Thompson in the 1970s and they commonly used PresType to make one-off presentations to clients that looked professionally printed.

Even more bizarre is that personalizing something kinda sucks the market value right out of it, unless you can find someone with the same name who's interested in cards...

At least the listed prices are cheaper by kr30, at least for buying a single deck.  Haven't factored in shipping, though.  And Design Imperator dropped the two-brick tier they previously used - I'm thinking that KS caught wind of it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
In case any of you were in for just 1 deck to feel this one out, there's only 3 left of 130 for the 2 deck option.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I checked this out today because I was curious about the individually printed tuck boxes (which would have been MPC, so a digital print from a template) but the project has been cancelled.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
maybe i'm misunderstanding your post...but the noble special edition playing cards are still active on kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/653481781/noble-special-edt-playing-cards

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 02:41:49 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
maybe i'm misunderstanding your post...but the noble special edition playing cards are still active on kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/653481781/noble-special-edt-playing-cards

You are right Evan. The first time the project was launched, the designer canceled funding part of the way through. When the project was relaunched, we just added on to the original topic. We typically will do that to keep everything tidy around here.
I corrected the first post to show the relaunch. Looks like this is well funded
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB