You are Here:
A Good Day....

Author (Read 1737 times)

A Good Day....
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Today sure was a good day.... First I win the Bicycle Freeroll Friday Facebook competition then I received my Science Decks from Rose (which are awesome)... Havent had that many good days here lately so I needed that... Sorry just felt like sharing.. :bosswalk:
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

Re: A Good Day....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
That's great to hear! I'm glad you shared. Smile days are so much better than frown days haha. The world needs more of them.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:00:41 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
 Congrats!   :D

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I recently performed my 1st stage show. I was super nervous as I was performing mentalist and 2/3rds of the audience were kids. Surprising they did follow and enjoy it as well.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:35:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
A bad day on vacation beats a good day at work, hands down...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:37:15 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I'm not at work but definitely not on vacaion either.  Been cooped up since having surgery.  Im not the type to just sit around so it's been a chore to entertain my brain...  :karrit:
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm not at work but definitely not on vacaion either.  Been cooped up since having surgery.  Im not the type to just sit around so it's been a chore to entertain my brain...  :karrit:

Good time to catch up on good movies or TV series.  "Archer" is on Netflix, hysterically funny and the new season begins in January - I've been catching up from the beginning for a few days now.  Lots of other good shows, too.

It does suck a little in that many movies just aren't there.  I can see "Captain America: the First Avenger", "Thor" and "The Avengers" but I can't get the sequels to the first two nor can a get a single movie in the entire "Iron Man" trilogy.  Been considering dropping it and switching to Hulu Plus.

Apple really needs to start a streaming service for a monthly subscription.

And there's always Solitaire!  I play a version called "Canfield" (known in the UK as "Demon").  There's over a hundred variants of card solitaire games.  Gotta be hundreds more one-player games on your phone, tablet, computer, games shelf, etc.  I personally enjoy the classic Mahjong puzzle layout called "Turtle" as well as Minesweeper at Expert level and Sudoku - my version has unique difficulty levels: from low to high - I'm New, I'm OK, I'm Good, I'm Awesome and I'm Clinically Insane...  My record for Clinically Insane is 6:22, though I usually resort to "brute force" methods (lots of note-taking) to determine all the numbers.  On Awesome, I try working more without taking any notes on the board.

Lastly, books are a great way to spend recovery time.  I was quarantined in a hospital once for about five days - they had rules out avian flu but couldn't rule out TB and by law they couldn't release me until they were sure I was clear.  I had one visitor, my brother, who wore a bunny suit before they'd let him in.  He brought the one thing I asked for - the charger for my smartphone (at the time it was a flip-top Treo, can't recall the model).  I used that thing incessantly whenever the TV got too boring - in a world filled with thousands of cable channels, the hospital still had less than twenty to choose from.  I had games to play and I'd pre-loaded a few electronic books into it - ebooks were very primitive then but they were effective.

Even minus a great deal of mobility, you live in a world that's filled with options for keeping yourself entertained.  Feel better soon, but in the meantime avail yourself of what's out there that can be brought right into your lap without even having to open the front door!

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:49:53 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Don you could get an ad blocker and stream it online. I know to good sites. One for movies, one for shows.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:18:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don you could get an ad blocker and stream it online. I know to good sites. One for movies, one for shows.

Stream what?  What ad blocker?  Netflix has no ads.  Haven't used Hulu at all because I mostly watch on a first-gen iPad and you can only get Hulu Plus for it.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:19:12 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I use Amazon Prime, much like the other services they don't have what I want to watch unless I pay more. Kind of forced to "enjoy" their library of massive availability just not in the prime package or watch whats available for no additional cost. No Thor's for example, but I can watch IronMan 3 haha, not that I really want to. (Spoiler it doesn't have Garry Shandling in it so whats the point really? pffft. ::) )

JAWS, not available to stream unless I shell out a few bucks. Same with ALIEN and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. The three greatest films of all time. :))
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 04:28:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I use Amazon Prime, much like the other services they don't have what I want to watch unless I pay more. Kind of forced to "enjoy" their library of massive availability just not in the prime package or watch whats available for no additional cost. No Thor's for example, but I can watch IronMan 3 haha, not that I really want to. (Spoiler it doesn't have Garry Shandling in it so whats the point really? pffft. ::) )

JAWS, not available to stream unless I shell out a few bucks. Same with ALIEN and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. The three greatest films of all time. :))

It's all a bit sucky, isn't it.  I still think Apple could kick ass and take names if they started a subscription streaming service with all-you-can-watch-or-read-or-listen-to for a single, reasonable fee.  They'd have the best chance to pull it off because they're still the market leader in digital commercially-produced media.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 07:46:08 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I really appreciate all the suggestions. I started getting around yesterday. I actually got out of the house for a few hours. With Thansgiving upon us tomorrow, I have a feeling I will be quite busy today cooking some pies and whatever else my lovely wife needs me to help her with.
I have definitely gotten my moneys worth from Netflix and Hulu plus this past week. I have watched 4 complete seasons of house and the first season and part of the second of The 100 which is a really good show for anyone who has not seen it.  Plus several movies including Iron man, The Avengers, etc. etc.   
I prefer to play online poker to sollitaire but I will check out "Canfield". I think its because I find it more satisfying if I win against an opponent. 
Anyways, Thank you guys for the suggestions ... Im almost back to 85%... No more 100% at my age.   :)
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Stream what?  What ad blocker?  Netflix has no ads.  Haven't used Hulu at all because I mostly watch on a first-gen iPad and you can only get Hulu Plus for it.

Sorry forgot to type the word FREE. I use a couple of free sites to watch movies and shows.

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 12:00:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Anyways, Thank you guys for the suggestions ... Im almost back to 85%... No more 100% at my age.   :)

I thought that before I started practicing aikido, around the time of my 40th birthday.  It's all in how you view things.  I will say, however, that I'm definitely off-warrantee and didn't buy the extended coverage plan...  :))  But at least I'm still using the original manufacturer's parts, by and large.