Hola from a new card designer
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi everyone,
I'd like to apologize beforehand for any major mistakes in my writing! My name is Karine and I'm from Barcelona, Spain. I'm a lawyer in development and recently a card designer as well. I've always loved art and design, as well as playing cards, so I decided to bring both together and take part in a custom deck project. I worked as an illustrator before, but this is my first experience in the playing cards world and I must say that it's a great one so far :) I was suggested to join United Cardists but I came across this forum and you guys seem like a friendlier bunch so here I am introducing myself :)
I'm part of the Bona Fide Playing Cards team and we've been having some issues launching our project from Spain, mainly because our platform of choice is Indiegogo (not like we don't like Kickstarter, it's just that there's no way to launch a project on KS from Spain unless we leave everything in hands of some partner in the US). I can understand that the community is used to go on KS to find amazing and unique playing cards but it's true that I'm kind of surprised by all the negative comments regarding our decision...What can I say? We Spanish people also want a chance  :) ;)
That said, I'm going to post our NOUVEAU Bicycle deck project on Playing Card Plethora...if you allow an Indiegogo intruder, that is ;D
As they say here, nunca llueve a gusto de todos (meaning you can't please everyone), but I do appreciate any feedback I can get because I believe that's the faster way to improve.
Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction )),
Karine
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Re: Hola from a new card designer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:45:23 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Welcome Karine, Glad you decided to join us. Please feel free to post your project. We don't have any problems with Indiegogo per say. We just don't have a lot of people that frequent the site. I think I can speak for several people here to say the flex funding that Indie offers is not a good thing when it comes to cards. Cards cost a set amount just to get made. If a project doesn't get full funding- then the cards will most likely not get made. No rewards means unhappy backers calling you a thief.
Looking forward to seeing your project. Good luck.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 03:11:56 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi Rob,
Thank you for the warm welcome :) I didn't realize that was the problem with Indiegogo...It offers both choices, flexible and fixed funding. We chose fixed funding; a flexible funding never even entered our heads. Of course backers would call us thieves...I would too!
Anyways, thank you again :)
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi Rob,
Thank you for the warm welcome :) I didn't realize that was the problem with Indiegogo...It offers both choices, flexible and fixed funding. We chose fixed funding; a flexible funding never even entered our heads. Of course backers would call us thieves...I would too!

Welcome, Karine!

It's not unheard of for someone to use IGG to fund a deck - the first successful IGG deck project was the Fontaine deck by a young Theory11 employee named Zach Mueller.  But it is true that we generally tend to not go over there.  Flex funding is a big turn-off for many, though I do understand that there are many projects that opt against that option.  The fact that they allow for charity fundraising bothers some as well - one never knows exactly what happens with the funds raised in that case.

To make an IGG deck a success, your best shot is no flex funding (done) and heavily promoting the deck to people willing to listen.  In addition to the boards here, talk to someone over at kardify.com - it's a popular news site for custom playing cards.  Frequent the forums.  If you're into design, sometimes design blogs will write about playing cards.  Create a Design/Dev topic before you launch, showing people your cards - though be prepared for some possible constructive criticism.

Best of luck to you and your team!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi Rob,

Welcome, Karine!

It's not unheard of for someone to use IGG to fund a deck - the first successful IGG deck project was the Fontaine deck by a young Theory11 employee named Zach Mueller.  But it is true that we generally tend to not go over there.  Flex funding is a big turn-off for many, though I do understand that there are many projects that opt against that option.  The fact that they allow for charity fundraising bothers some as well - one never knows exactly what happens with the funds raised in that case.

To make an IGG deck a success, your best shot is no flex funding (done) and heavily promoting the deck to people willing to listen.  In addition to the boards here, talk to someone over at kardify.com - it's a popular news site for custom playing cards.  Frequent the forums.  If you're into design, sometimes design blogs will write about playing cards.  Create a Design/Dev topic before you launch, showing people your cards - though be prepared for some possible constructive criticism.

Best of luck to you and your team!

Thank you Don Boyer for the warm welcome and for the tips! :) :) Very useful advice, we have some hard work ahead building up a community and, as you said, finding people willing to listen but we're going to do our best to reach the goal :)

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thank you Don Boyer for the warm welcome and for the tips! :) :) Very useful advice, we have some hard work ahead building up a community and, as you said, finding people willing to listen but we're going to do our best to reach the goal :)

I just learned of another drawback to using IGG.  With KS, you pledge to back a project but the money doesn't come out of your account unless the project reaches its deadline and has met its goal.  When I backed your deck, while it was nice to be able to use PayPal instead of Amazon Payments, the money was deducted from my account IMMEDIATELY.  I have a charge on my account to IGG for the amount I pledged many days before the project even ends.  I'm assuming they'd give refunds in the event of a project's failure, but it's not a pleasant feeling.

If this project fails on IGG, there are companies you can try here in the US that will have the deck produced for you, either privately funded or through KS.  I can ask around if it's something you're interested in.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:43:36 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hola Karine
Welcome to our forum. I see you are already getting very sound advice which I trust will help you launch your project. Feel free to keep asking and good luck.
Tom
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:56:26 PM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

I just learned of another drawback to using IGG.  With KS, you pledge to back a project but the money doesn't come out of your account unless the project reaches its deadline and has met its goal.  When I backed your deck, while it was nice to be able to use PayPal instead of Amazon Payments, the money was deducted from my account IMMEDIATELY.  I have a charge on my account to IGG for the amount I pledged many days before the project even ends.  I'm assuming they'd give refunds in the event of a project's failure, but it's not a pleasant feeling.

If this project fails on IGG, there are companies you can try here in the US that will have the deck produced for you, either privately funded or through KS.  I can ask around if it's something you're interested in.

Yeah that can be unpleasant...I just wish KS would make it easier for other countries, I think it's kind of unfair that nowadays still exist so many hindrances. Anyways, we hope to have it funded on IGG but I'll keep that in mind in case we fail :)

Hola Karine
Welcome to our forum. I see you are already getting very sound advice which I trust will help you launch your project. Feel free to keep asking and good luck.
Tom

Thank you 52plusjoker!

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:35:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah that can be unpleasant...I just wish KS would make it easier for other countries, I think it's kind of unfair that nowadays still exist so many hindrances. Anyways, we hope to have it funded on IGG but I'll keep that in mind in case we fail :)

It wasn't that long ago that all projects had to be from the US.  Now they're taking payments in Canadian dollars, Aussie dollars, British pounds sterling and the euro.  It's simply a matter of time - they have to insure that their operation is within the rules of whichever countries they participate in.

The original concept for Kickstarter was actually not to get rewards for backing projects - it was to get "microshares" in the companies making the projects!  This would have put the company under the purview of the Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC) - I think the regulations were a little too onerous at the time.  Who knows if they'll attempt making it into a stock exchange down the road...

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 03:57:39 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

It wasn't that long ago that all projects had to be from the US.  Now they're taking payments in Canadian dollars, Aussie dollars, British pounds sterling and the euro.  It's simply a matter of time - they have to insure that their operation is within the rules of whichever countries they participate in.

The original concept for Kickstarter was actually not to get rewards for backing projects - it was to get "microshares" in the companies making the projects!  This would have put the company under the purview of the Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC) - I think the regulations were a little too onerous at the time.  Who knows if they'll attempt making it into a stock exchange down the road...

Actually I also think it's a matter of time; the platform grew fast and they will surely expand to other countries but, as you say, they have to ensure they operate within the rules of every country and that may take some time

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 04:34:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Actually I also think it's a matter of time; the platform grew fast and they will surely expand to other countries but, as you say, they have to ensure they operate within the rules of every country and that may take some time

For Kickstarter, I think the big challenge will be getting to those international markets FIRST, before another company steals their thunder.  IndieGoGo would have been serious competition were it not for the differences in project structure.