You are Here:
List of "Golden Rules"

Author (Read 743 times)

List of "Golden Rules"
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
If you could make a list of rules for deck designing, what are some of your must haves? I will go first...
Must have unified borders.
Must have readable indices.
Must have special/notable AoS.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:52:22 AM by Rose »

Re: List of "Golden Rules"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:52 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I would add clearly defined pips. Seen some that just, well... ??? haha.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Thematic consistancy is deffinitely one of my musts
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:36:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This list is a good idea - as long as people realize that they shouldn't slavishly follow any set of rules.  They can be bent or broken, IF AND ONLY IF it serves a specific purpose to the design.  For example, some decks are themed around a different "main Ace" and thus they should have a plain Ace of Spades - the Black Club Gold Artifice deck is a prime example.  Along those same line, a minimalist design might opt for a plain everything, not just the Ace of Spades.

Breaking rules out of sheer ignorance of the rules rarely turns out well.

My rule to add here would be that the edges of the cards have the same appearance throughout the deck on every card.  Anything printing over the bleed line needs to be identical, card to card, or it might as well be a marked deck.

Let's also not forget that one decks rule is another deck's flaw.  For example, a subtle one-way mark might be a great feature for a budding magician, but it's anathema for anyone intending to play poker with it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:32:39 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
My rule to add here would be that the edges of the cards have the same appearance throughout the deck on every card.  Anything printing over the bleed line needs to be identical, card to card, or it might as well be a marked deck.
Yes, that is what I was trying to say when I wrote "unified borders" sometimes I can't write what I am trying to say very well.
Yes, rules can be broken.
I should add that "it must be aesthetically pleasing" though this is relative to everyone's personal taste.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
If you could make a list of rules for deck designing, what are some of your must haves? ...

"There are no rules" ;)

In reality, they can be only for different categories of playing cards because such categories are conventionally formed by them. Transformation playing cards should have traditionally disposed pips incorporated into some artwork. The quantity of such pips should correspond to the number of approprite card. Changed disposition of pips will mean semi-transformation playing cards. You can't create Pin-Up playing cards by placing photos of museums on their faces. etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 12:07:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you could make a list of rules for deck designing, what are some of your must haves? ...

"There are no rules" ;)

In reality, they can be only for different categories of playing cards because such categories are conventionally formed by them. Transformation playing cards should have traditionally disposed pips incorporated into some artwork. The quantity of such pips should correspond to the number of approprite card. Changed disposition of pips will mean semi-transformation playing cards. You can't create Pin-Up playing cards by placing photos of museums on their faces. etc.

Good point.  The requirements of one kind of "card person" won't necessarily be the same as for another card person.  For example, a poker player needs a very different type of deck from a card flourisher - the Handlordz "Dominion" deck is a prime specimen of a deck poker players would not like, especially for people playing games with cards played face-up on the table, such as Texas Hold 'Em or Seven-Card Stud.  If you recall, the original Dominion series had cards without different faces, just different indices from card to card.  At a distance, ace-high would look the same as a straight flush.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:10:03 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/