You are Here:
52 originally designed Kings Cup deck [KS]

Author (Read 348 times)

52 originally designed Kings Cup deck [KS]
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

realkingscup

• Newcomer
Hey guys I am new here obviously and was directed here by one of your members on my Kickstarter page, I had a chance to look through this site and its incredible, I never knew there was such a huge group of playing card enthusiasts in one place!

With the help of internet vector artists from all over the internet we have created a deck of cards for Kings cup with each card having its rules written right on the card.

We have also included the suits and numbers making this a deck you can use for any other games as well as Kings.
I am really wanting to get this funded and also looking for tips and suggestions from you guys as I am sure you have some insight!
Thanks in advance guys!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105902622/kings-cup-cards-is-now-52-individually-designed-ca

Re: 52 originally designed Kings Cup deck [KS]
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:16:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Do some proofreading, especially on the 9 of Diamonds...and the project home page, while you're at it.

It looks like a fun deck, but I'm past my drinking years - especially in the quantities spelled out on some of these cards.

Who will print it?  With a goal so low, I'm thinking MPC or the equivalent.

It's more of a fun deck than a collectors' deck.  Consider a stretch goal for making the cards on plastic - one round of this game will result in many ruined paper cards and plastic is so much more alcohol-resistant.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:21:59 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Thanks for joining us here, I can see you have put a lot of work into your deck, so well done. I usually really appreciate anyone that can customize each and every card in a deck, the #1 thing that stopped me immediately was the $2 shipping to Australia. I do not believe this is possible. But alas this cannot be changed now. I do really like how colorful and unique it is!
I would recommend including more information on your project page, for example; what company will print the deck. What company is shipping the decks...etc. Don is a genius, this should totally be a plastic deck. You do have an advantage of appealing to a niche market, so if I were you I would be contacting alcoholics everywhere. I don't know where they are, but you seem to know all about drinking so you can probably track them down...
The last recommendation from me is a disclaimer, along the lines of; If you die of alcohol poisoning you are not allowed to sue us.  ;D
Good Luck with your project!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:08:30 PM by Rose »

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for joining us here, I can see you have put a lot of work into your deck, so well done. I usually really appreciate anyone that can customize each and every card in a deck, the #1 thing that stopped me immediately was the $2 shipping to Australia. I do not believe this is possible. But alas this cannot be changed now. I do really like how colorful and unique it is!
I would recommend including more information on your project page, for example; what company will print the deck. What company is shipping the decks...etc. Don is a genius, this should totally be a plastic deck. You do have an advantage of appealing to a niche market, so if I were you I would be contacting alcoholics everywhere. I don't know where they are, but you seem to know all about drinking so you can probably track them down...
The last recommendation from me is a disclaimer, along the lines of; If you die of alcohol poisoning you are not allowed to sue us.  ;D
Good Luck with your project!

Actually, a deck like this would be a hit at college on-campus bookstores (or their off-campus competitors), gift stores which appeal to younger men and women (like Spencer's) and tourist shops in towns that are big with Spring Break revelers such as Daytona Beach, FL and Lake Havasu, AZ.  It would seem like it would make a good merchandising gimmick for a beer/spirits manufacturer or seller, but a game that encourages so much drinking would fly in the face of the "drink responsibly" campaigns most such businesses have in the US.  In some states, in fact, a game like this might run counter to some "host responsibility" laws - you'd have to check.

A plastic deck would indeed hold up much better than a paper one over time, but it usually also costs significantly more, at which point the potential buyer has to consider whether it's worth giving up a six-pack or a bottle of wine in order to buy the deck.  Additionally, were you to make this an ongoing concern, you'd have a built-in audience purchasing the cards as they ruin paper deck after paper deck.  If you can get a plastic deck in your design that's affordable compared to paper novelty decks, though, that would be the sweet spot right there.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/