You are Here:
Where to start?

Author (Read 1989 times)

Where to start?
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:50:28 AM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
Hi! I'm a webmaster and author by trade. I'd like to do something a bit different and create a few playing card decks. I have three theme ideas currently that are begging for me to create them :) . I bought a few playing card designer pads ( wish I had gotten more! ) from a recent kickstarter so I'm ready to get started. BUT I'm super confused at where to start and what to "aim" for. Should I focus my cards on the market of cardistry or should I focus on collectables ones or magicians ? Because I'm a marketer , I want to know my target before I begin so that I know my design/project will reach that market correctly.

What other advice do you have for me? I'm a perfectionist and a hardworking person . I just want to make something that I can be proud of and that brings happiness to those I give/sale my cards to. Any advice would be super right now. Please and thank you!
Need a website? Message me.  Need a resume? Check this out > Robinsonresumes.com
Ask me about my ghostwriting services!

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
By no means an expert but as a collector I will tell you that any cards that are created explicitly for cardistry or magicians are that much more collectible to me.  It is possible to create a deck that suits all 3 purposes.  The more genres you cross the more successful any campaign is likely to be.  JMO
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
By no means an expert but as a collector I will tell you that any cards that are created explicitly for cardistry or magicians are that much more collectible to me.  It is possible to create a deck that suits all 3 purposes.  The more genres you cross the more successful any campaign is likely to be.  JMO

Great advice! Thank you for your input.
Need a website? Message me.  Need a resume? Check this out > Robinsonresumes.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
There is no magic formula, but there are things you should do, 1st and foremost, don't be in a hurry to bring a deck to market.

Do your research, look at as many cards as you can, even the cards launched and mentioned in this forum. Evaluate your concept....has it been done before? Did it succeed or fail and why?
Be open to constructive critisism, in the end, you should make the deck YOU want to make, but there are some things that just won't appeal to everyone.
Also, your deck doesn't end with the design, be very carful with your budget, many a great Idea has gone belly up becuase of a mis-calculated budget.

There is plenty of help to be found from just about every corner of the playing card universe on this site....take advantage of it  ;)

Can't wait to see what you have cooking, Good Luck!

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
There is no magic formula, but there are things you should do, 1st and foremost, don't be in a hurry to bring a deck to market.

This is a man that knows about not being in a hurry....  :D
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
Thank you so much ; great points for me to remember while working.

Do your research, look at as many cards as you can, even the cards launched and mentioned in this forum. Evaluate your concept....has it been done before? Did it succeed or fail and why?
Be open to constructive critisism, in the end, you should make the deck YOU want to make, but there are some things that just won't appeal to everyone.
Also, your deck doesn't end with the design, be very carful with your budget, many a great Idea has gone belly up becuase of a mis-calculated budget.

There is plenty of help to be found from just about every corner of the playing card universe on this site....take advantage of it  ;)

Can't wait to see what you have cooking, Good Luck!

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:59:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi! I'm a webmaster and author by trade. I'd like to do something a bit different and create a few playing card decks. I have three theme ideas currently that are begging for me to create them :) . I bought a few playing card designer pads ( wish I had gotten more! ) from a recent kickstarter so I'm ready to get started. BUT I'm super confused at where to start and what to "aim" for. Should I focus my cards on the market of cardistry or should I focus on collectables ones or magicians ? Because I'm a marketer , I want to know my target before I begin so that I know my design/project will reach that market correctly.

What other advice do you have for me? I'm a perfectionist and a hardworking person . I just want to make something that I can be proud of and that brings happiness to those I give/sale my cards to. Any advice would be super right now. Please and thank you!

Wow, I could probably make a college course out of this question!

Anthony's got some excellent points regarding research, input and budgeting.  We have a LOT of designs right here in the Design/Dev board that are worth checking out.  Read about the successes AND the failures - learn from both.  Do the same at Kickstarter.  Even check out the other major playing card discussion board, United Cardists.  You have a gold mine of information at your fingertips, waiting for you to pick up the pickaxe and start whacking away at it!

KNOW YOUR COSTS before considering any launch, down to the last roll of packing tape.  Then add at least 10% as a margin for error.

Remember there's an important choice to be made - save money by self-distributing your decks (very time-consuming and monotonous, unless you use a small, ORGANIZED army of friends) or spend a little extra and hire a fulfillment service to handle it for you (which also means putting your precious and rare decks into their hands).  Fulfillers tend to be faster, but you need to find the right one - poor packaging at some leads to too many damaged decks you have to replace.

Don't target your design to a specific audience!  It sounds crazy, I know.  If you're planning to launch a Kickstarter project, all the magicians, cardists and deck collectors on Kickstarter add up to perhaps a fraction of a fraction of all the people who frequent the site!  The ten most successful decks had a few things in common - they pulled many if not most of their sales from BEYOND our little enclave and they promoted the deck FAR and WIDE.  Design boards in particular, depending on your design and the specific board, will quickly take up the torch of a great design and signal to their readers to buy, buy, buy.

You will notice as you wander over in Kickstarter and through the message boards there are a few all-too-common themes for playing cards - zombies, steampunk, Lovecraftian Mythos, minimalism, etc., and the list continues to grow.  If you possibly can, AVOID those themes!  Most people have seen more than their share and aren't interested.  BUT...and this is a big "but"...if your design happens to be in one of these categories and is just burning inside of you to see the light of day, if you have the time and the talent to makes something head-and-shoulders above what went before, if it's all you can think about from the time you hear the alarm clock to the time your head hits the pillows - then go ahead and make that dream deck.  High-grade work made with love will always trump any wanna-be, has-been or never-was deck out there!

If you have any more specific questions, please ask!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
Thank you Don for your long list of tips and advice. I'm nervous beyond words to jump into this but I'm also excited to learn. I'm not a quitter .. i hope to have my first deck out within 6 months. I think with the guidance here that's completely possible.

I'm not a fan of dark designs. I want to make something pretty . Something that even a mother would welcome into their children's collection. Something neutral but also with a hint of sweetness to it. So no zombies for me!

Thank you so very much... :)

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Hey SCH,
Really excited to see what your deck designs are once you start working on them; browsing through the R&D page of this forum is one of my favorite things. I love seeing the designs people come up with, from the great ones to the ones that help me realize what NOT to do.
This will likely be a more biased response than some of the above, but I am wanting to design a deck of cards as well and there are some things I have picked up that feel like good guidelines. But like everyone before me has said, make the design that is true to what you want. Jackson Robinson will be the first person to tell you that you can't please everyone, so make sure that your deck resonates with you first and foremost before weighing any suggestions from the community.

My biggest piece of advice would be to look through Design & Development, not for other creator's designs but for the community's feedback on them, you will find endless helpful information and really get a feel for what people look for in a deck.

There are some overarching themes  have seen while looking through the successes and failures of the playing card world.
Common rules of thumb that will be good general guidelines (but never hard rules) are things like two way backs (Necessary for a good magicians deck), thinner borders (Cardists really love this one), clean design and unique theme-appropriate borders that make good use of negative space. Don't feel like the court images need a background to look complete.
Most good decks are well suited to cardists, magicians, collectors and players alike. I wouldn't worry about finding a target demographic unless you are going for something purpose built like the Banshee throwing cards or an XCM specialty deck without indices.
Custom pips are popular, but people seem to favor simple elegant designs to more complex ones
Observe playing card's tradition with design elements like the proper amount of eyes per card, the Suicide King, extra embellishment on the AoS and avoid gimicky pitfalls like faux aging (this is constantly debated, some people really like it, but everyone knows Don is not a fan and I feel like a strong design shouldn't need to be aged). More often than not you will want to avoid skulls and barbed wire (Unless they are clearly part of your aesthetic (See Don's post above about overused themes)), and for the love of god please don't use clip art if you can help it.

Another important part of the deck is the tuck box; people love a well thought out tuck design, and even more so if it is in theme with the deck as more than just showing the back of the cards on the back of the tuck and putting a picture that represents the theme on the front. This is a chance to really think outside the box (Get it?). But that said there is nothing wrong with a basic tuck with an image on the front and the card back design on the back, I just feel like too many designers feel like that is a rule they have to stick to. And of course the tuck seal is something worth putting thought into (Collectors are especially keen on this one)

Important things to think about once you have your design nailed down will be who you use to print (most people will say there are only three worthwhile choices:USPCC, LPCC and EPCC), and then the Stock is going to be an important choice from there, but there are endless discussions on this forum about that and I don't have the wealth of knowledge some of the more tenured members here do in that arena.

Edited for grammar.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:48:40 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
Oh My... Thank you Justin ; so much information... much of the terms you used I don't even know! So I'll be researching everything tomorrow . Thank you again. Your guidance is greatly appreciated. :)

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 12:40:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
After you've done some research, if you have questions or want some advice, in addition to getting comments here you can also try hiring me - I give playing card design consultations.  My rates are quite reasonable - for the time being, I'm in it more for the fun than the money.  My biggest clients to date has been the design team Uusi from Chicago; I've worked with them on all but their very first project.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
Thank you Don . I'll consider that 100%

One question I have is how are prices determined for a card deck.
Like this deck after all the specials is $13
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matifu/rongorongo-2?ref=category

And this deck is $15
 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/700415595/cthulhu-mythos-playing-cards?ref=category

Do these designers determine their prices from their goals or just cost of fulfillment? Is there like a formula you could share about this?

I've done price searching and most decks cost about $3.50 to print depending on amount being printed . So the other cost would be fulfillment, marketing,kickstarter fees and overhead. Am I missing something?

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:21:05 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The formula can change as you go, you really need to figure out what it is you want to offer. A single deck run, multiple decks, Standard and LE......

You really need to hammer that down first, then get some quotes on what your FINISHED product will cost per deck, then figure out your shipping......is domestic going to be included (usually is on KS), are you offering International shipping? When you have all that, see what your "Nut" is to produce and deliver the qty you are planning on.

Believe me, it's not a simple process, you can tell those that took their campaign as a "Simple" thing.........they failed or didn't deliver.

Again, my biggest recommendation is to not be in a hurry and check, re-check and check your budget again. Your Budget needs to be accurate.

In the end, if your really just more of the designer type, I would reach out to those who have been there for help, such as Don, the added expense would be well worth the investment in the long run. Just make sure you deal with someone reputable, not someone who "Says" they know what their doing.  :)

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
One question I have is how are prices determined for a card deck.
Do these designers determine their prices from their goals or just cost of fulfillment? Is there like a formula you could share about this?
I've done price searching and most decks cost about $3.50 to print depending on amount being printed . So the other cost would be fulfillment, marketing,kickstarter fees and overhead. Am I missing something?

Most people feel $15 per deck is way to much, especial for a first time designer. $15 per deck will have the expectation for buyers that you will have a fully custom deck (That means custom court images), foiled and embossed tuck, custom seal and a high grade card stock. Collectors expect your deck to cost them below $10 without any of the special upgrade. I thing the $12 per deck range is adequate, but I expect at least embossing on my tucks and custom images throughout.
Shipping is what seems to kill most budgets, especially with international shipping in the mix. I would work with a fulfillment company to handle the messy details, may cost you a little more but it will save you the suicidal thoughts I imagine come with insurmountable challenges when you are staring down 5,000 decks and 3,600 addresses they need to go to worldwide with special requests and different orders for each one.
But don't short yourself on your design work, you know what your time is worth. Just be very aware of what people expect to pay when it comes to backing a card project.

The printer you choose makes a big difference as well, and a lot of people are very particular about who you choose to print through.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 12:22:11 AM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
Anthony and Justin thank you so very much! I'm printing out each post as they come . Such a wealth of knowledge it's amazing!

I think I get it much better know. I agree ; $15 sounds expensive.

Another question ! Do buyers prefer decks with custom fronts and backs or would backs be okay for my first set? Would that be too "lazy" ? I've been seeing cards that have these really weird fronts that I doubt people actually "play" with but the backs are lovely. SoI'm unsure what's more important.

Where would I get tuck boxes printed?

A fulfillment service ! With 5000 decks it'd be a must have. Is it common for Kickstarters to make that many sells. I've been seeing rewards of coins ; where are those printed? I've only seen one source mentioned online ; are there any others you could recommend?

Thank you all again!

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 05:48:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Anthony and Justin thank you so very much! I'm printing out each post as they come . Such a wealth of knowledge it's amazing!

I think I get it much better know. I agree ; $15 sounds expensive.

Another question ! Do buyers prefer decks with custom fronts and backs or would backs be okay for my first set? Would that be too "lazy" ? I've been seeing cards that have these really weird fronts that I doubt people actually "play" with but the backs are lovely. SoI'm unsure what's more important.

Where would I get tuck boxes printed?

A fulfillment service ! With 5000 decks it'd be a must have. Is it common for Kickstarters to make that many sells. I've been seeing rewards of coins ; where are those printed? I've only seen one source mentioned online ; are there any others you could recommend?

Thank you all again!

For certain decks, a standard face is actually preferred over a custom job.  Some poker players don't cotton to using custom-faced decks, especially if the faces don't conform to certain design conventions with decks, like a proper representation of the correct cards as the one-eyed Jacks, the suicide King, the bedpost Queen, etc.  A magician wanting a deck for performances will often choose a standard face because it's what a general audience would most identify with - "Oh, just like the ones I have at home, etc."

Having said all that, unless you go hog wild on the packaging and backs, people will be expecting a lower price tag.  Standard decks are an order of magnitude easier to design - you're really just making the backs, the tuck box, an Ace of Spades and two Jokers, max.  If you use a publisher that has a 56-card deck sheet as opposed to a 54-card sheet, you'll have two extra cards to do something with as well - but again, that's it in a nutshell.

Collectors in general have become a demanding lot - now that they've suckled from the teat of full-custom deck design, most are not likely to want less.  Fortunately for you, collectors are really just a fraction of a fraction of the overall market!  They buy more cards in general, but not enough to give them outsized influence over the industry as a whole.  The majority of the people ordering your deck will be plain ol' Joe and Jane Six-packs tech-savvy enough to know about Kickstarter.  No deck project in the top ten at Kickstarter succeeded strictly on the buying power of collectors alone.

Your tucks are typically made by your printer.  If you order a deck from USPC and choose Bee Casino stock, they'll hire a subcontractor to make the slightly larger tucks needed - they lack the equipment to do it themselves - and it'll delay the project by weeks.  Nothing stops you from using a different printer to make your tucks for you, but it will increase both the cost of completion and the time needed.  The vast majority of designers take the easy way and have their printer make both the cards and the tucks.

Fulfillment services...  All creators have a choice on Kickstarter when it comes to delivering on their promised rewards.  They can either a) hire a fulfillment company for a fee, b) hire a staff to make your project the true launch of a new company, c) use the "pizza party + beer + friends" formula or d) literally do all the work on their own.

The least desirable method is d) - unless you're unemployed or livin' with the 'rents, you have to be punching a clock somewhere to put a roof over your head, food on the table and gas in the car.  You will either be spending every waking free moment (and there won't be many of them) to pack and ship your decks, you will hate the world and you'll fall asleep mid-job and drool on the cards or you will fail to deliver and disappoint your backers while they clamor for refunds.  Mind you, this isn't impossible - but it will put a serious dent into your free time for days if not weeks, and your backers will remain patient for only so long before they start clamoring for their decks.  Making this worse is the fact that if you sell any to a large-ish retailer, you're likely to take advantage of USPC's willingness to drop-ship a portion of your order to them at no extra charge - meaning that the decks will end up in stores before your backers get theirs.

C) is not really a bad method at all - if you have enough stalwart friends willing to give up pretty much an entire weekend (or two) to help you out.  Without that key combination, c) will change to d) in no-time flat.  Plus, assuming the friends are indeed there for the exploiting, they need to take the work seriously and someone (preferably you) has to lead the operation to be sure everything's being done right.  If you can't be a inspirational leader of men and women, you might as well hire a horde of invading barbarians...  This is hardly impossible either, and surely easier than d) if you have the right combination of leadership and friendship working for you.

Almost no one uses b).  In theory, Kickstarter is supposed to be used as a launching point for a new company, giving them the leg up needed to get a business off the ground and perhaps even employ a few people on the way.  In reality, it's a marketplace, the one thing they've stated flat-out that they aren't.  A rare few people manage to make a company strong enough to stand on its own, post-Kickstarter, at least among the playing-card designing segment of creators.  More often than not, people keep coming back to the well, making project after project seeking funds on Kickstarter, or they fade away after one or two projects, never to create again.

You can't blame them, really - in the early days, if Kickstarter had as many as three people running deck projects at once, it was unheard of.  Today, the rare event is if at any given moment that there's less than twenty-five deck projects running at once!  But the point is, despite their initially-lofty goals, Kickstarter just stands aside, collects their fees, pays your taxes to the government if you make enough on your project, counts the money in the bank - and does little else beyond that.  They won't even pursue creators who fail to deliver on projects - they'll tell you that their rules demand rewards or refunds, but out of the other side of their mouths they'll tell you they do nothing to enforce their rules and you have to pursue the case with local law enforcement.  It's so much easier for them to stand out of the way and let the money fall from the Internet into their bank accounts, who can blame them for not trying to get people to start making real businesses with real employees on a real payroll that no longer have to rely on crowdsourced funding?

So that leaves a).  It's a fine choice if you can afford to part with the extra cash - and for some, the savings in terms of personal sanity are invaluable.  But you have to choose the right fulfillment service.  Most have no idea of the fussiness of deck collectors, prefer to use the cheapest of packaging materials and hire untrained monkeys to do the packing because they'll work for bananas.  You'll lose a hefty portion of your stock with the wrong company.  A note of joy in there is that there are companies that give a crap about what you're doing and know how to do their job right - but you might have to pay a bit more to hire them.

By the way, due to the costs of mail and packaging material, most creators LOSE money on their small orders of only one or two decks, unless they price them so high that they're not longer appealing financially.  With varying shipping rates to different countries and no real way to have Kickstarter account for those price differences, you'll be "selling" many internationally-purchased decks at a loss.  Those international shipments get abused like a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, so if you don't make the package practically bullet-proof, you'll have people complaining of damaged goods and wanting refunds.  And lest we forget, there's also that handful of scammers who will claim they never got their delivery even though they actually did - they just think it's fun to get free stuff at someone else's expense.

Coins - in most cases, if you ask a creator who offered coins which company they contracted for the job, I'm sure they'll tell you, or the next creator you ask will.  These aren't exactly industry secrets!

Among the more popular tchochkes are uncut sheets, art prints, coins/card guards, custom dice, poker chips and t-shirts.  I've seen whackier nonsense offered though.  One campaign offered a variety of jewelry.  Some people offer a well-heeled backer the opportunity to have their image on a card - that slowed down a LOT after one company ended up with some really weird-looking dude claiming the reward.  One guy I know of offered a high roller a trip to Las Vegas (airfare not included) with two nights at a hotel, a show and a dinner with the creator - where he would proceed to try wringing more money from you as he pitched his idea for his second deck!  But the craziest one I've found so far was the guy who was selling cassette tapes and CDs of his music to go with his decks - he seemed confused about whether to be a card designer or a musician.  No, wait - I forgot about the project that offered the jigsaw puzzle...that was pretty unique, and that's not a compliment.

As I see it, you should pick a few high-quality items to supplant what your primary purpose is, which is to make money by rewarding investors with decks.  Offer stuff that people are actually getting from other campaigns instead of crap they'll never ask for.  Limit the number of items you offer - it will make your campaign more complex to manage than insurance actuary tables while at the same time convincing backers that you're actually running a Middle-Eastern bazaar.

I mentioned the word unique as not being a compliment.  Do NOT fall in the trap of so many designers who came before you.  They tried as hard as they could to make their deck unique, with design changes and added features up the wazoo.  In the end, they either made ugly cards or something so unique they barely fit the description of cards any more.  Card designs have evolved over centuries - it was a little arrogant of them to think they were going to spend a few months and come up with something that's better simply by being more unique.  There are design rules.  You can bend them a bit, no problem.  You can even break them, but if you do, you should have a reason for it, something more than "I didn't realize that was a rule" or "I want to be unique."  You don't need to be an iron-clad conformist, but there is some truth to the Japanese proverb "the nail that sticks out of the wood is the nail that gets hammered down."

OK, now this is long even by MY standards...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:53:20 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »

sweetcrabhoney18

• Newcomer
Amazing! Thank you Don!

I think because of these elements I'm going to write a business plan. I think it's the best solution to keep things organized and to know my numbers ahead of time. I can't say thank you enough.

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
You mentioned you want to do something attractive and tasteful, and stay away from the zombies and stuff. I couldn't agree more. I have vowed as a collector to never corrupt my collection with any zombie deck period. I'm just over the whole zombie fad. And the zombie bikes look like garbage in my opinion anyway....

At any rate, check out UUSI's stuff. Some of their decks have that "pretty" quality you're talking about. All hand-crafted original art. Some of the most highly sought after and coveted cards on the market - i.e. original Blue Blood deck...
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 01:13:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Amazing! Thank you Don!

I think because of these elements I'm going to write a business plan. I think it's the best solution to keep things organized and to know my numbers ahead of time. I can't say thank you enough.

A business plan, complete with a full spreadsheet to calculate your costs, is not merely essential - it's vital.

You mentioned you want to do something attractive and tasteful, and stay away from the zombies and stuff. I couldn't agree more. I have vowed as a collector to never corrupt my collection with any zombie deck period. I'm just over the whole zombie fad. And the zombie bikes look like garbage in my opinion anyway....

At any rate, check out UUSI's stuff. Some of their decks have that "pretty" quality you're talking about. All hand-crafted original art. Some of the most highly sought after and coveted cards on the market - i.e. original Blue Blood deck...

Funny you should mention Uusi - they've been clients of mine since their second deck, Bohemia! The beauty of their collection is that each deck they design uses a different style of art - there's no mistaking them for each other.  The only similarities is that most of the decks, starting with Bohemia, have a unique pip and index style that's become the "company signature".