You are Here:
Do you like beer?

Author (Read 11584 times)

Re: Do you like beer?
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If you decide to try whisky, Irish tends to be the smoothest.  Bourbons have a perfume-y aftertaste, Scotch can be a little rough around the edges.  Irish whiskey and Scotch are in essence the same - same ingredients, same distillation process - but the grain for Scotch is dried with peat fires as opposed to air-dried for Irish whiskey, and Scotch is double-distilled whereas Irish is triple-distilled.  The best commonly-available brand would be Black Bush, the top-shelf version of Bushmills.

Little known facts: whisky is spelled without an "e" unless it's Irish - then it's spelled whiskey.  It comes from the Gaelic phrase "uiske beatha," meaning "water of life."  It's kind of funny, because throughout Dublin the manhole covers connected to the water supply are marked uiske!

Over here you're likely to meet much disagreement making even slight comparisons between irish and scotch whisky!

In my opinion the only 'proper' whisky is single malt scotch. But I can't drink it often as it gives me chronic heartburn   :(

I love the smell of scotch, but cant drink it straight, which somewhat defeats the purpose of drinking scotch.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2014, 02:54:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you decide to try whisky, Irish tends to be the smoothest.  Bourbons have a perfume-y aftertaste, Scotch can be a little rough around the edges.  Irish whiskey and Scotch are in essence the same - same ingredients, same distillation process - but the grain for Scotch is dried with peat fires as opposed to air-dried for Irish whiskey, and Scotch is double-distilled whereas Irish is triple-distilled.  The best commonly-available brand would be Black Bush, the top-shelf version of Bushmills.

Little known facts: whisky is spelled without an "e" unless it's Irish - then it's spelled whiskey.  It comes from the Gaelic phrase "uiske beatha," meaning "water of life."  It's kind of funny, because throughout Dublin the manhole covers connected to the water supply are marked uiske!

Over here you're likely to meet much disagreement making even slight comparisons between irish and scotch whisky!

In my opinion the only 'proper' whisky is single malt scotch. But I can't drink it often as it gives me chronic heartburn   :(

Believe it or not, the process for making the two spirits is nearly identical.  They used the same ingredients and the same hardware, but there's a slight difference in the process used - actually, two differences.  In the malting, Scotch whisky uses peat fires for drying while Irish whiskey is air-dried and Scotch is double-distilled while Irish is triple-distilled.  There are exceptions, naturally, but these are the general differences between the two, aside from the spelling of whisky/whiskey.

I'm not knocking Scotch one bit - I've been known in my past to savor a glass of a'bunadh from Abelour Distillery, a very fine single-malt.  But for younger tastes, especially people used to either American beer or sweet/fruity drinks, the peatiness can be off-putting.  Compare that a'bunadh to something comparable like Jameson single malt, especially the "Three-Wood" 15-year-old variety, and there's no denying that a new whisky drinker would find the Jameson more palatable.

I love the smell of scotch, but cant drink it straight, which somewhat defeats the purpose of drinking scotch.

I'm a certified Irish whiskey taster and I've attended a number of Scotch whisky tastings hosted by Johnnie Walker Distilleries.  The ideal way to drink most whiskies, even bourbon or blended rye, is in a rocks glass over ice, in a 1:1 ratio with pure, clean water.  The addition of the water actually opens up the flavor of the whisky, making it more aromatic.

Your sense of taste is heavily tied to your sense of smell, so the better something smells, the better it usually tastes, unless it's been adulterated with something that is odorless and negatively reacts directly with the taste buds.  Your tongue alone can only detect sweet, sour, salty and bitter - the rest is all olfactory, depending on your nose.

The point being that most whiskies are not meant to be consumed straight, especially if it's something of a higher grade than what typically sits in the speed rack of your local bar.

Best ice for sipping drinks: a large, solid ball of ice.  It's cold enough to keep the drink nicely chilled, but has a smaller overall surface area compared to a typical glass filled with many small ice cubes, thus insuring it melts more slowly to keep the drink cold while also adding less water to your beverage, keeping it at the desired flavor, temperature and strength for a longer time.  Most bars don't have the equipment to make good, clear ice balls with few to no pockets of trapped air - you'll generally find them in more upscale establishments.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:56:50 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
See I have always heard of people drinking scotch straight. They say adding water ruins the taste. The scotch I did have, I did the 1:1 ratio with a dash of lemon. I might try it the next time I get scotch. If you want don I wont stop you from getting me a nice bottle as a gift,  8)  ;D  :t11:
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
See I have always heard of people drinking scotch straight. They say adding water ruins the taste. The scotch I did have, I did the 1:1 ratio with a dash of lemon. I might try it the next time I get scotch. If you want don I wont stop you from getting me a nice bottle as a gift,  8)  ;D  :t11:

Mailing booze is a pain in the ass - "flammable and hazardous liquids" and all that post-9/11 stuff.

Skip the lemon, drink it watered.  Inhale a good noseful before you drink.

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
will do, and don all you have to do is order it online and put my address in, then you dont have to deal with the hassle. :p Would it be weird if I drank scotch alone? I dont have friends that do much liquor drinking. Atleast not scotch.

« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2014, 03:00:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
will do, and don all you have to do is order it online and put my address in, then you dont have to deal with the hassle. :p Would it be weird if I drank scotch alone? I dont have friends that do much liquor drinking. Atleast not scotch.

There's nothing stopping you from either drinking alone or with friends.  If they drink at a bar, it's a non-issue.  If you're in someone's home, bring a bottle as a gift and pour your drinks from that, or if you know the host to be fussy about that kind of thing, just bring a small bottle for your personal consumption.  For that, a flask might look a bit classier than using a bottle in a paper bag, but you shouldn't drink straight from it, instead pouring it into a glass (avoid plastic; some plastics will mess with the flavor of your beverage in no good ways).

A single drink, standard strength, would be an ounce - just barely under 30 ml.  Bars may pour lighter of heavier depending on their standard shot size.  Bottles sold in the US typically come in these sizes and yield roughly this many drinks:
Mini - 50ml - 1 strong or 2 standard.
"Half-Pint" - 200ml - about 6-7 drinks.
"Pint" - 375 ml - about 12-13 drinks.
"Fifth" - 750 ml - about 26 drinks.
Liter - 1,000 ml - about 33-34 drinks.
"Half Gallon" - 1,750 ml - about 55 drinks.

Larger bottles cost less per ounce, so if using a flask, go large and save a few bucks.  The typical wide hip flask hold 8 ounces - more than enough to keep you going for the evening.  If you don't have or want to deal with a flask, don't buy larger than a half-pint unless you're planning to share among your friends.

Another thing about the flask is that you can "pre-water" your Scotch so it's ready to pour over ice.  AVOID doing this.  Water's cheap, booze isn't and it evaporates over time, leaving you with a weaker drink minus the aromatic flavor.  (Yes, sealed flasks are liquid-tight - but they tend not to be perfectly gas-tight, especially when it comes to alcohol vapors.)  They should, whenever possible, be blended only as you're about to drink.

Avoid going too far overproof on any beverage - I've seen liqueurs at 101 proof (50.5% abv), bourbons as high as 114 proof (57% abv) and rums can hit 151 proof (75.5% abv).  The math is easy, each "proof" is half-a-percentage-point alcohol by volume.  US beers usually clock in at around 5%, wines at 15% and liquor at 43%.  I say this not because I think they taste bad or anything, but because it can do terrible, horrible things to your digestive tract.  If you do drink these, do so with a lot of mixer and only infrequently.

As a matter of fact, I don't know if they still make this, but the Jack Daniel's Distillery used to make a "green label" Jack Daniel's that was UNDER-proof - only 80 proof.  It was considerably smoother.  An increase in alcohol content does nothing whatsoever to improve the flavor - in fact, the purer it is, the less flavor it has.  Everclear, at 190 proof, is nearly devoid of taste - it's essentially moonshine in a bottle.

Avoid sugary mixers - it's where most of your hangover headache will come from.  Impurities in general make for a bad hangover, though one can't neglect the aftereffects of killing thousands of brain cells, either.  I saw a science show test various hangover remedies - the best was a dose of acetaminophen with a pint-glass of water taken before going to sleep.  NEVER take aspirin or ibuprophen or any other NSAID pain reliever with alcohol - both react in the blood stream to thin out your blood, can turn ordinary heartburn into ulcers and do nasty things to your liver.  Get a cut when drunk and you bleed like a stuck pig - add NSAIDs to that and you have the potential to lose a LOT of blood.

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
earlier in this thread alex mentioned its not acceptable to drink alone. And I would feel weird drinking scotch while everyone is drinking mixed drinks but I might.

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
earlier in this thread alex mentioned its not acceptable to drink alone. And I would feel weird drinking scotch while everyone is drinking mixed drinks but I might.

Scotch and water IS a mixed drink!

If you want to go for a real "rocks" type mixed drink, try a Rusty Nail.  Courtesy of Wikipedia:

A Rusty Nail is made by mixing Drambuie and Scotch whisky. The drink was included in Difford's Guide Top 100 Cocktails. Some prefer less Drambuie to decrease the sweetness of the drink. Scotch whisky has a fairly biting and hot taste that is counterbalanced by the honeyed, herbal overtones of the Drambuie.

Drambuie is a liqueur that's made from Scotch mixed with assorted herbs - it's the sweeter cousin of Scotch!  If a bartender doesn't know the proper recipe, tell them to use a jigger - fill the large end with Scotch, the small end with Drambuie.  If they don't know what a jigger is, perhaps you should look for a real bartender instead of a pretend bartender...

If the bartender just plops the lemon twist into the drink, pull it back out and really twist it - the point of the lemon twist is that it's not simply a garnish to look pretty(-ish), it's a flavoring ingredient.  The twisting releases citrus oils from the skin into the drink, where it floats on top.  And if their idea of a "lemon twist" is a wedge of lemon, they don't know jack about cocktails and you should stick to Scotch and water!

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 01:15:49 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
What I meant when I said mixed drinks, is more like cheaper non scotchy drinks. I might give that a shot though.

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What I meant when I said mixed drinks, is more like cheaper non scotchy drinks. I might give that a shot though.

If you want cheaper, there's always the Scotch they serve from the speed rack for "well drinks".

Other recipes to try:

Godfather: Scotch and vodka on the rocks.
Godmother: Godfather with milk/cream added, shaken.

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

If you want cheaper, there's always the Scotch they serve from the speed rack for "well drinks".

Other recipes to try:

Godfather: Scotch and vodka on the rocks.
Godmother: Godfather with milk/cream added, shaken.

I figure if I am going to drink scotch I should drink something good. And that godmother sounds goods, I might give it a shot.